CBC Revives Battle of the Blades Skating Show!

rdavies

Biased, uninformed and uneducated review
Results posted here, do not read ahead if you don't want to know the results

Colby Armstrong (now full time) is joined by Darcy Tucker (as a pretty good double act) Barb Underhill and Kurt (marks below will be posted in that order). There is no celebrity in the audience this week and they have reverted back to a 6.0 judging system by popular demand which is cool with me and something I had thought should have returned last week

Evora/Orr and Radford/Kessel in the skateoff, a correct decision that was also proven in the skateoff

Afanasieva/Stock
Alex Clare Addicted to Love
Have to say Kurt stole my judgement, I wasn't watching the skating too closely but PJ really acted his part well, a much more mature performer than before.
5.8 5.8 5.7 5.6

Gordeeva/Gervais
Fergie A Little Party Never Killed Nobody
I didn't find Gervais too emotive and he did a fair amount of standing still. I do see him improving "emotively" though, you can see it in him. Not getting the Gordeeva bias as the hockey players are the ones who should be judged and Spooner>Gervais. Have to say they had well executed pairs tricks.
5.8 5.8 5.8 5.6

James/McGrattan
Mister Mister Broken Wings
I was expecting that McGrattan would show me more so far. Usual pairs fare here plus two throws.
5.7 5.7 5.5 5.5

Poje/Spooner
Whitney Houston Higher Love
It's ridiculous my bias for spoons but her personality is off the charts and she's skating AND performing. I LOVE watching her. Only Kennedy is her equal or better. Unfortunately, it looks like she is gonna get screwed like every one of Shae's partners in the past.
5.7 5.8 5.7 5.7

Weaver/Kennedy
Donna Summer Hot Stuff
Shelly's buying into this again and I'm lovin' him as much as spoons. Weaver disappeared again and Sheldon soloed the first part of the routine
Could this be the year a dance team finally wins, better be. Shelly continues and perfects what Theo Fleury started
5.9 6.0 5.9 5.9

Skate off

Radford/Kessel
Cher Strong Enough
Kessell is unfortunately not Strong Enough, she does not look comfortable out there and I couldn't see them progressing
5.6 5.6 5.4 5.5

Evora/Orr
Ciara Paint it Black
Amanda falls on a throw, but the routine wasn't too inspiring either but Orr was more "comfortable" than Kessel and moves on. Evora looks disappointed/upset through the rest of the show
5.6 5.7 5.5 5.4

Seeing as the producers listen to the viewers they have to get Colby's mother Rosemary (skating coach) to either sit in or (maybe even funnier) have Colby call home for advice (phone a friend a la Who Wants to Be a Millionaire) You read it here first folks :)

Last edited:

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Didn't realize what a Vanessa fan girl I was until tonight. Felt the need to wuzrob her, but I see everyone's points. If her partner can look like he enjoys it out there, I really think they have wicked potential. He might be in the best shape of the guys. Hope they kick butt next week.

I get that Ekaterina and Bruno are awesome, but for some reason I'm just not connecting this year. Maybe it feels samey? Does anyone else have this issue?

But then there's Natalie Spooner and partner -- sorry, Andre Poje-- who I am blown away by, and didn't expect to be. She just makes you want to like her out there. What a star.

Lastly, Kaitlyn skates nothing like Shae-Lynn Bourne, but tonight I could see that shared, infectious energy. I don't know, it's just a nice thing to see.

Amanda Kessel was probably one American too many. :p But she and Eric could have been skating on the Ice Capades. The other teams just had more identity and character in their programs. She and Eric were certainly great, super talented, but I get it. :(

Last edited:

rdavies

Though I'd forgotten how bad Ron is with his rambling that nobody can follow.
He had one good line that seemed to go over everyone's head, when after V skated. "In Russia, everyone joins the party." :)

Last edited:

rdavies

I don't understand that decision at all...makes me wonder if there is another reason they had them last (maybe one injured?)
I'm sure many won't agree with me who are FS fans, but Radford and Kessel are not likeable to Joe Sixpack Canadian. I knew before this thing started they'd be the first to go and I do think the right decision was made. She looked tense and Orr was "less tense" and to me that affected the performance more than the fall.

rdavies

I get that Ekaterina and Bruno are awesome, but for some reason I'm just not connecting this year. Maybe it feels samey? Does anyone else have this issue?
It seems some want to gift her the title but IMO Gervais is third best.

Andora said:
But then there's Natalie Spooner and partner -- sorry, Andrew Poje-- who I am blown away by, and didn't expect to be. She just makes you want to like her out there. What a star.
My prediction before this thing started - This will be the year that a dance team will finally get some respect (after years of my bitching) and producers will take heed. So it comes down to Poje/Spooner (Spooner will be the most popular contestant on the show) and Weaver/Kennedy. They'll play up the Kennedy story big time but he is 50 years old so that could be a problem. I'm not sure if I read his sister is a coach so he might have a head start. Also Spoons is a big girl so that could hinder her but I'm going with Poje/Spooner. The international vote could be a problem.

I will amend that somewhat after the early going. Kennedy is in far better shape than I thought he would be even with the little gut (that will be gone by the end of the show). He has great speed as well and equals or betters spoons in popularity.

Andora said:
Amanda Kessel was probably one American too many. The other teams just had more identity and character in their programs.
I think you are right although international viewers may not agree but this is targeted to a Canadian audience although they recognize their international following as well which I hope doesn't sway this thing to Gordeeva.

Alvyne

It seems to me that this season the judges focus more on skating skills and performance abilities than on tricks. The teams who did throws did not really get rewarded for it. If we compare "pairs" teams, Violetta and PJ got higher marks with a simpler routine with just a couple of lifts than Vanessa and Brian, who did a double throw and a twist.

I don't understand Kurt criticizing Katia and Bruno for doing a lot of standing still in the beginning of the routine before starting the actual skating. Though I understand his criticism, I hate it when they do this - I wanna see skating, not posing, they were not the only team doing it (Natalie spent the first 20 seconds of their routine sitting on a bench last week), he should criticize the choreographers not the skaters.

I wonder how the international votes will be affecting the voting this week. PJ and Violetta don't have that advantage, plus their routine, while well skated, did not really stand out and they skated first. I would not be surprised to see them in the bottom 2.

skategal

Bunny mama
As much as I liked Eric and Amanda, I think the right team was cut last night.

You could tell she was still very uncomfortable out there (more than any other hockey player and yes, probably because she had a harder role as the female) but the risk of injury will ramp up a lot more now too.

She needed to be comfortable at this level, right now, to stay injury free in the upcoming weeks.

IMO, it's a reality show and not worth her or Eric being seriously hurt when someone has to go home this week anyway.

It was a good call by the judges.

I loved Violetta & PJ, Kaitlyn & Sheldon, and Natalie & Andrew. :cheer2:

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
[snip]

Evora looks disappointed/upset through the rest of the show

I noticed this too and wondered what was going on. At first, when they were waiting for the results, I thought she was dealing with an injury to her right arm/hand. He still had his elbow wrapped from last week's (pre-competition) injury. I really thought she was hoping that they were the ones cut.

Desperado

Shelly continues and perfects what Theo Fleury started
Well said.

Amanda Kessel was probably one American too many. :p But she and Eric could have been skating on the Ice Capades. The other teams just had more identity and character in their programs. She and Eric were certainly great, super talented, but I get it. :(
She looked really stressed out there. Showing her score the goal that eliminated Canada in the Olympics probably didn’t help with the votes either. 😝

skategal

Bunny mama
I noticed this too and wondered what was going on. At first, when they were waiting for the results, I thought she was dealing with an injury to her right arm/hand. He still had his elbow wrapped from last week's (pre-competition) injury. I really thought she was hoping that they were the ones cut.

Maybe she was disappointed that she fell on the throw and then found it awkward that they were kept anyway?

Skate Talker

Performance #4: Natalie & Bruno
"Higher Love" by Whitney Houston & Kygo
  • Jesus, Natalie's arms look incredible.:eek:
  • She's pretty good at footwork.
  • Andrew's not having a problem lifting her so far.
So cool that Natalie had once taken hockey power skating lesson(s) from judge Barb Underhill. Barb mentioned how good her skating posture is and how this experience will help her even more with her hockey. Natalie definitely has much better posture than most of the other hockey competitors, though I think I need to take another look at Bruno. He doesn't stand out as much personality-wise (yet) but he does less pitched forward skating. Sheldon is also pretty good and certainly has the performance thing down but is not as consistently smooth and sometimes the hockey player comes out in him.

Skate Talker

It's definitely the year of the ice dancers. The top 3 should be Kaitlyn/Sheldon, Natalie/Andrew and Ekaterina/Bruno.
One big problem - Head judge Kurt Browning imo does not understand ice dance enough to give the dance skills enough respect compared to being easily wowed by the bigger pairs tricks in the long run. I will say that he did a better job tonight though so perhaps there is hope.

Didn't realize what a Vanessa fan girl I was until tonight. Felt the need to wuzrob her, but I see everyone's points. If her partner can look like he enjoys it out there, I really think they have wicked potential. He might be in the best shape of the guys. Hope they kick butt next week.
I think Vanessa is pretty brave allowing someone at McGrattan's level of progress toss her around like that while showing no nerves or fear. But then she always that way. I seem to remember Morgan dropping her more than once, including almost on her head at the Sochi Olympics when she just seemed to laugh it off even though she admitted later to being very bruised and stiff.

Seems to me Bruno is one of the smoothest skaters of the hockey players, just needs more time to get some personality out there - more lessons from Eladj should help.

But then there's Natalie Spooner and partner -- sorry, Andre Poje-- who I am blown away by, and didn't expect to be. She just makes you want to like her out there. What a star.

Lastly, Kaitlyn skates nothing like Shae-Lynn Bourne, but tonight I could see that shared, infectious energy. I don't know, it's just a nice thing to see.
For both these teams the ladies make it so obvious they are just having a blast out there enjoying every moment. It's just so great to watch.
Kaitlyn is rightly making sure to give Sheldon some solo work off the top so the focus starts only on him and makes it less likely he will start to be overlooked once eye-catcher Kaitlyn comes into the picture. Of course she is lucky he is such a strong skater that he can handle the spot light alone.
Andrew is also showcasing his partner and staying more in the background but of course he has had years of training doing this and Natalie isn't having any trouble being front and centre in this team.

He had one good line that seemed to go over everyone's head, when after V skated. "In Russia, everyone joins the party." :)
Ron had several good lines imo, but it would all be more effective if he would cut back - quality over quantity. Really love his quick wit but he has been getting on my nerves more this year.

I'm sure many won't agree with me who are FS fans, but Radford and Kessel are not likeable to Joe Sixpack Canadian. I knew before this thing started they'd be the first to go and I do think the right decision was made. She looked tense and Orr was "less tense" and to me that affected the performance more than the fall.
I am a FS fan for sure and really appreciate Eric Radford, but he is definitely more of the soulful, introspective type. If he had someone with Natalie's spark as a partner it would have helped a lot but Amanda does not have that, nor the figure skating ability yet to wow "Joe Sixpack Canadian". Their 2 music choices were also a big miss for me so though I think this team actually had the better performance of the skate off teams, I am not surprised the judges let them go. Definitely the correct 2 teams were in the skate off tonight. You could see the drop in skating skill and performance level. They should never have gone to Eric first for his comments on the elimination because he was definitely a Donny Downer. It was left to Amanda to make a comment about something positive in the experience. The producers need to have a word with the remaining contestants before next week's elimination. I know Eric is a very intense and serious competitor and was being himself but surely he could have been a bit more positive. He has had a lot of interview experience after all.

Normally I would have wanted the voting public to vote on at least 2 weeks of performances to give everyone a fighting chance but in this case can't see it making any difference. Week one is always a bit of a crap shoot for predicting a team's future competence. For one thing there is the first time in front a live audience factor, but there is also a longer time to learn the routine compared to subsequent weeks. I this case I feel the bottom 2 teams last week were still bottom 2 this week and didn't show as much progress as the others.

Last notes (finally, eh?) - Since this week was an hour shorter than last week and had more competitive skates with the addition of Violetta & PJ, I'm glad they didn't try to squish in the celebrity-in-the-audience commentary. It was wonderful to see and hear Barb Underhill again. Thanks to the producers for bringing her in. With her experience training hockey player to be better skaters I think she was a brilliant choice to pick up on those skill levels in the contestants. It was also nice to see Isabelle Brasseur in the audience.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins

I didn't notice this at all, but she did look SHOCKED they were safe. She could have been sad at the prospect of leaving, to boot. I'm glad she's around another week - last season of BOTB really let her shine. :)
So cool that Natalie had once taken hockey power skating lesson(s) from judge Barb Underhill. Barb mentioned how good her skating posture is and how this experience will help her even more with her hockey. Natalie definitely has much better posture than most of the other hockey competitors, though I think I need to take another look at Bruno. He doesn't stand out as much personality-wise (yet) but he does less pitched forward skating. Sheldon is also pretty good and certainly has the performance thing down but is not as consistently smooth and sometimes the hockey player comes out in him.

I see your point with Sheldon - the upside is it's usually because he's giving it all on the ice. The downside is his partner is the same about performing her heart out, so I could see that being a problem down the line.

And Barb's little chat with Natalie somehow warmed my heart, but that's mostly because of my nostalgic appreciation for Ms. Underhill. But it sounded like a talk I could hear at my local rink, and those moments matter to some down-home-type viewers.

One big problem - Head judge Kurt Browning imo does not understand ice dance enough to give the dance skills enough respect compared to being easily wowed by the bigger pairs tricks in the long run. I will say that he did a better job tonight though so perhaps there is hope.

Kurt's aaaaactually probably one of few single skaters who could understand it to some degree, I think. I actually saw it as him being harder on the dancers because he understood their tricks better (as in could do them) than the big pair ones.

That said, I'm super over Kurt as a judge, and I'm disappointed in myself for doing a 180 on that. I was thrilled when he joined after the Sandra/etc. show, but I'm ready for a fresh regular judge. Barb Underhill for example. :lol:

Kaitlyn is rightly making sure to give Sheldon some solo work off the top so the focus starts only on him and makes it less likely he will start to be overlooked once eye-catcher Kaitlyn comes into the picture. Of course she is lucky he is such a strong skater that he can handle the spot light alone.
Andrew is also showcasing his partner and staying more in the background but of course he has had years of training doing this and Natalie isn't having any trouble being front and centre in this team.

I was impressed they gave him a quick solo with week two! I think that was worth the high marks alone - so ballsy! Also ballsy, the hydroblading! The team for this two knows what works for the audience and are hitting everything hard.

Same idea with "Spoje" or whatever their Instagram acronym is. When they were getting ready for the lift, it looked a smidge hesitant (understandably) and I got ready for a mess-- and Natalie rocked it like she lived up there. Partying.

Ron had several good lines imo, but it would all be more effective if he would cut back - quality over quantity. Really love his quick wit but he has been getting on my nerves more this year.

Ron MacLean is a national treasure and speaks a language something like Canadian on steroids. You're either bewildered or trying to keep up, but you're always entertained. "Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese-- always."

BUT I forgive him everything except Don Cherry (ugh) because of a radio interview I caught some years ago. It was amid some scandal at CTV regarding the head giving journalistic instruction or otherwise interfereing, and Ron was asked his opinion. He was honest but neutral, and said when things get bad, he turns to the Nine Inch Nails classic song, "Hand That Feeds." I nearly hit the car in front of me. :lol:

I am a FS fan for sure and really appreciate Eric Radford, but he is definitely more of the soulful, introspective type. If he had someone with Natalie's spark as a partner it would have helped a lot but Amanda does not have that, nor the figure skating ability yet to wow "Joe Sixpack Canadian". Their 2 music choices were also a big miss for me so though I think this team actually had the better performance of the skate off teams, I am not surprised the judges let them go. Definitely the correct 2 teams were in the skate off tonight. You could see the drop in skating skill and performance level. They should never have gone to Eric first for his comments on the elimination because he was definitely a Donny Downer...

This is a good point - who knows what Eric + another partner would have looked like. But it's his first year, and I don't think he has super extensive show skating experience, let alone partnering with someone completely new. He and Amanda really did great stuff, but it was hard to watch at times. She looked SO uncomfortable, way beyond "thinking through" the program. I couldn't tell if Eric was telling her to smile at the end, or if she was relieved enough to let it show through. I'm not sure another partner would have worked for her, and despite maybe fighting through performance, she did the elements well!

But per Desperado's point earlier, CBC didn't do her any favours showing that Olympic goal. Women's hockey is no joke in Canada. :lol: I hated hockey growing up, but found a way to enjoy the game watching women play. Not to be a controversial prick, but I think it's better hockey to watch, and they're better players in so many ways. I say all this to wonder if any rogue Canadians made her feel MORE uncomfortable competing here, on such an unabashed Canadian show. I mean, if I can still be bitter about Canada's bullshit silver in Nagano... I can only imagine. I'm just speculating, but Amanda Kessel isn't a name too many Canadians would seek out for a trading card...

Skate Talker

I hated hockey growing up, but found a way to enjoy the game watching women play. Not to be a controversial prick, but I think it's better hockey to watch, and they're better players in so many ways.
Can't say I exactly hated hockey growing up but stopped watching it when it became more about the fighting and brute size players than skills. When I first watched the women out of curiosity I started to enjoy hockey again because there was actually some skating and skill involved. It's a much more exciting game imho.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
I have a question about the format. Do the teams use the same choreographer throughout the show, or do they move around? It seems to me that a team's success depends a lot on the choreographer being able to channel their strengths. If a team gets a choreo who doesn't "get" them, they end up looking awkward and over-stretched.
It seems to me that WeaPo and partners are working with great choreographers, for example.

Spun Silver

Wow, I am totally rooting for Vanessa to win but Kaitlyn is killing it! I love her too so that's
OK. :) Obviously Morgan and Vanessa have their jobs cut out coaching Brian (who looks about the way I would if I had to skate in public with Vanessa... terrified he'll kill her!).

coppertop1

I don't mind hockey when it's played at the highest levels like the Olympics or World Championships. Then you'll can see the actual skill. I'm not a fan of the NHL.

rdavies

I'm not convinced Joe Sixpack Canadian is even watching this show.

More like Jane Merlot Canadian (grown women) and Jane Bubblegum Canadian (young girls.)
How about Joe Middle Aged, Teetotaler, Hetero, ex girlfriend was a skater Canadian who realized as a child that pro wrestling and figure skating are obverse sides of the same coin, highly athletic performance art. :)

rdavies

That said, I'm super over Kurt as a judge, and I'm disappointed in myself for doing a 180 on that. I was thrilled when he joined after the Sandra/etc. show, but I'm ready for a fresh regular judge. Barb Underhill for example.
Met them both a hundred years ago when I worked in TV and they were in town for a show. What you see is what you get, two down to earth great people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information