CBC Revives Battle of the Blades Skating Show!

rdavies

There needs to be a pattern dance night where everyone has to have a pattern dance element like in the short dance (partial pattern though), but everyone would have to choose their own pattern dance to sample.
I don't think I'd like to see that kind of standardization. Also, the other five couples are "pairs" teams. who want to show off lifts and (later) throws.

honey

I don't think I'd like to see that kind of standardization. Also, the other five couples are "pairs" teams. who want to show off lifts and (later) throws.

In the first season when they got down to 4 teams they did a group number in which every pair had to complete the same foot work sequence. It was a great way to compare teams and also made it extremely clear who could skate and who couldn't. I think they should bring that back again. I think they only ever did it that one time.

Sk8tn

Just a short sample of a pattern dance would give a framework to show edge control and quality turns. Any footwork requirement (particularly in a dance hold - and pair skaters are often in Kilian hold and can show closed hold in footwork sequences) would serve the same purpose. The pair skaters with the strongest skating skills (Gordeeva and Radford) should have no problem bringing out the best of their partners for that kind of short requirement.

Down here in Nashville, we had an adult camp where we had Duhamel and Radford and Virtue and Moir among the coaches. The edge classes taught by Radford were very compatible with the classes taught by Moir, so I don’t think the best pairs skaters would be put off their game by this at all.

Also, you never know who can actually ice dance too. One time at the Toronto Ice Dance Weekend, some of the Canadian ladies got Brian Orser out there and he did Starlight Waltz and Viennese Waltz with them. When those of us from South of the border were surprised, the locals just let us know that Orser got his gold dances as a teenager.

honey

@Sk8tn at least in my day, it was very common for singles skaters to continue with dance all the way until they passed all their gold dances. Not surprised Orser completed them. I vaguely remember David Pelletier commentating with PJ Kwong one time and when asked he said he’d completed a good number of them (maybe up to senior silver? It’s been a while so don’t quote me on that :p).

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
It's still common. I think it's more unusual for skaters in Canada during spring/summer schools to NOT test dances as well. The sessions are usually set up for freestyle/skills/dances so each group practices and tests in all three.

Alvyne

The performances are now available on YouTube

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins

aftershocks

Banned Member
This is a fun show. I'm glad it was brought back. All of the competitors look like they are having a blast, along with working hard for the competition.

I agree with the scoring placements. Kaitlyn and Sheldon truly complement each other and deserve to be in the lead. Their routine was delightful. All the teams performed at a wonderful level. I also very much enjoyed Eric and Amanda. They sported great costumes. Eric's partnering skills and skating expertise were on full display. He's a badass!

Andrew and Natalie had a fun program. Vanessa and Brian performed really well and look very comfortable together. I'm sure Vanessa and Brian will be very competitive throughout this competition.

Katia Gordeeva was fantastic. I couldn't keep my eyes off of her. Bruno Gervais did not really stand out, but with a partner like Katia, how could he? :lol: It's a tribute to his preparation that Bruno showed Katia off very well. :) She has such a wealth of experience, and she's still got that magic!

ETA:
In future, I would love to see new Moms Aljona S and Meghan D competing with hockey partners! :D

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Performance #1: Violetta & P.J.
"Addicted to Love" by Alex Clare;
  • they've competed together before, of course, and you can tell;
  • P.J.'s still a bit rusty, of course, but Kurt accurately states that Violetta trusts him enough that it lets her perform very well.
Pleasing older fans, the voting has switched to 6.0 (as Ron says, it makes no difference to them).

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Performance #2: Ekaterina & Bruno
"A Little Party Never Killed Nobody" by Fergie
  • Bruno's performance level isn't huge, but he's very good technically at this point, and he's able to help Ekaterina do a lot of cool stuff.
  • We have our first throw, which Katia two-foots, but lands successfully.

screech

Katia and Bruno were great! I was wondering if she'd be bringing back the throw lutz. And he skates so smoothly with her.

Vanessa and Brian had a lot of pairs moves, but IMO he's just kind of 'there'. Zero presence. I was impressed with the height on the twist, though.

screech

Just realizing there's no 'celebrity guest' tonight as the colour commentator.

And the music is a hell of a lot better tonight. Though I'd forgotten how bad Ron is with his rambling that nobody can follow.

Natalie really looks a lot like Candace Cameron Bure.

Colonel Green

Performance #5: Kaitlyn & Sheldon
"Hot Stuff" by Donna Summer
  • Sheldon is definitely trying the hardest of any of these competitors.
  • Just as last week, he has the best footwork of the hockey players.
  • Kaitlyn has definitely beaten Andrew as far as introducing the more intricate ice dance moves first; they even do a sort of dual hydroblade, and beginner twizzles.
  • Huge marks for these two, including the first 6.0.

screech

Once again Kaitlyn and Sheldon were spectacular! Not only their skating (twizzles, hydroblading...), but their connection and performance. And I want Kaitlyn's dress.

I think Andrew is having a bit of a struggle lifting Natalie - he had to put his foot down a few times to push during that one lift... not too bad though.

Colonel Green

Performance #6: Amanda & Eric
"Strong Enough" by Cher
  • Good lift.
  • She stumbles slightly coming out of the upside-down choreo lift.
  • They unfortunately don't really have the "wow" pair elements we see with some of the others, I imagine because it's a lot harder to do that when it's the woman who is a newbie.
  • Sorry, Eric, I don't think this team has a ton of energy.

Colonel Green

Performance #7: Amanda & Colton
"Paint It Black"
  • They fall on a throw attempt, which makes it easy for the judges.
  • Even if they hadn't, though, I'm not sure I'd have rated this above Amanda & Eric.

Colonel Green

Huh, nope, Amanda & Colton make it despite the fall.

Fittingly for the return of the 6.0 system, this is Battle of the Blades' very own SLC. :lol:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I don't understand that decision at all...makes me wonder if there is another reason they had them last (maybe one injured?)

screech

I kind of preferred Amanda and Colton, the overall smoothness, despite the fall. Plus, I thought their music was better. Can definitely see why they were the bottom two teams though, and I won't be surprised if Amanda and Colton are there next week too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information