2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Can anyone think of good examples of ladies singles skaters who transformed as much as she needs to, from where they were toward the end of their junior career? I'm drawing blanks at the moment.

Joannie Rochette from 2002 to 2003 is a HUGE difference- she learned to relax her jumps, and she really developed her presentation between juniors (where it was nearly non-existent) and her jump to senior Worlds.

barbarafan

I think she's still only 16 so in theory, yes, lots of time.
I think her performance - in terms of engaging not only her face but the rest of the body into the choreography -- can certainly develop but in her case it needs to transform.

Can anyone think of good examples of ladies singles skaters who transformed as much as she needs to, from where they were toward the end of their junior career? I'm drawing blanks at the moment.
I found that Allison improved greatly during the time she skated pairs with Zack. Before her arms were slack like she was not using them at all and her face was completely frozen. After a year I found her arms more firm and rounded and sometimes she had expression and sometimes not. I have only seen her at competitions so her practices are prob.much better. You can only learn to compete by competing. They need to send her to a few competitions.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I've been very high on Schumacher since she made her JGP debut. She didn't seem to get a lot of love on here last season and I was gleeful when she made top 10 at junior worlds. Sure she needs work but the elements are there. I honestly think she is the most promising of the next gen group and I guess time will tell!

I'm guessing she'll go back to the JGP but please Skate Canada let her do Autumn Classic at least! She needs her senior tech minimums ASAP. I'd be thrilled to see her make it to worlds in Montreal!

nadioso

I've been very high on Schumacher since she made her JGP debut. She didn't seem to get a lot of love on here last season and I was gleeful when she made top 10 at junior worlds. Sure she needs work but the elements are there. I honestly think she is the most promising of the next gen group and I guess time will tell!

I'm guessing she'll go back to the JGP but please Skate Canada let her do Autumn Classic at least! She needs her senior tech minimums ASAP. I'd be thrilled to see her make it to worlds in Montreal!

I see Alison getting a senior B but I don'r see it being Autumn Classic. More likely it will be a senior B that takes place after the Senior Grand Prix starts. In the few cases SC has given a senior B to a JGP bound skater, it has always been a late one.

doritos

Seeing Alaine not get a GP makes, the same thought occurred to me. Alaine really hasn't delivered, so maybe Skate Canada has lost some faith in her? She's been on at downturn since 2016.

My sources have said that Alaine has "quit".
She is enrolled or will be enrolled full time at UBC and is going to study kinesiology.
And she's living with her boyfriend - Kevin Reynolds.

Hence her absenteeism from the GP roster.

The lack of a formal announcement is because they aren't certain if this is just a break after a difficult few years (not making the OWG, disappointing season last year despite winning Nationals).

But apparently she is enjoying normal adult life.

Best wishes to her for a successful next chapter.

shutterbug

My sources have said that Alaine has "quit".
She is enrolled or will be enrolled full time at UBC and is going to study kinesiology.
And she's living with her boyfriend - Kevin Reynolds.
Ah. This is what I strongly suspected was going on. Best of luck to her as she moves on with her life! :cheer2:

Colonel Green

That doesn't surprise me, if it's the case, after the disappointments in recent years. Alaine won a Grand Prix medal and two national titles, so she was more successful than the vast majority of skaters, but unlike her two most notable peers and domestic rivals she never fully realized her potential, and I'm sure that was very frustrating for her. Best of luck to her with whatever comes next.

If she is indeed out, that probably means the TBD spot at SCI is between Veronik and Alicia.

Dobre

My best wishes to Alaine in new and/or current pursuits! She has upset the apple cart more than once in Canadian ladies skating over the past quadrennium, and I think been a big part of the added depth that has pushed the larger field and helped make these past few years such a unique success for the Canadian women &, therefore, the Canadian team.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
It's disappointing that Skate Canada didn't acknowledge the retirement of their Olympians (Larkyn Austman, who announced it herself via social media) and now they have said nothing about Chartrand.

Hopefully Chartrand will release a statement soon. I know it was easy to rag on her for her performances the last two years but she deserves a lot of credit for what she did accomplish and I hope she gets her proper acknowledgement.

Now pardon me while I crawl into a corner and cry :wuzrobbed

coppertop1

I feel for Alaine. She had potential but after 2016, she seemed to stagnate. That said, she did have respectable results. A GP medal in her first year of senior competition, eleventh at her first Worlds, two Canadian titles. It’s too bad she won’t have her Mirai moment.

allegro

I'd like Alaine to keep skating, and may be, with a bit of luck, she could attend the next Olympics. It's not easy, but not at all impossible. I was very sad, even angry, when she was placed forth at the nationals, thus missing those Olympics. I have nothing against Larkin, but I just thought Alaine was better, even at those nationals.

SkateFanBerlin

Daleman has been posting pics on her twitter site. Some showing off her midriff. I didn't want to post anything there, but does anyone else see her unhealthily thin? If she loses anymore she'll appear gaunt. Or, is this a normal elite skater fat/muscle proportion.

RoseRed

Daleman has been posting pics on her twitter site. Some showing off her midriff. I didn't want to post anything there, but does anyone else see her unhealthily thin? If she loses anymore she'll appear gaunt. Or, is this a normal elite skater fat/muscle proportion.
I haven't seen the pictures, but Gabby does have a history of editing her photos to make herself thinner, so I wouldn't assume that the pictures are necessarily accurate. But like I said, I haven't seen the pictures, so I don't know if what she's showing looks normal or not - she does have serious abs regardless of editing.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Gabrielle's social media photos are not reflective of what she actually looks like (which is its own issue, but that's mental, rather than physical).

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I remember watching Alaine do a full free skating run through prior to competition at the 2016 World Championships (with all seven triples) like it was nothing.

It must have been so frustrating for a skater with Chartrand's potential, not to bring it to the international stage.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Gabrielle's social media photos are not reflective of what she actually looks like (which is its own issue, but that's mental, rather than physical).

I can't imagine it being healthy or helpful at all to receive thousands of likes on a FaceTuned photo after dealing with the issues she's dealt with. And honestly, I don't see how other skaters liking said photos is really helping. I haven't been in her shoes, but it hasn't been that long since she had to take a break for mental health. I remember she even at one point said she was staying off of social media because it wasn't any good for her, but it didn't last long. And now it's back to the same stuff she was posting pre-break.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I think they're all just used to routinely liking each other's posts. But I agree that in this case, it's unhealthy and unfortunate.

Rock2

Don't go by pictures she has control over (e.g. on her social media). Watch videos of her in competition or check pics posted by Skate Canada or Danielle Earl. You typically see something different...and less alarming.

Sad thing is, she's actually quite beautiful in her natural state....which makes her need to alter pics seem even more troubling.

Zazy

Don't go by pictures she has control over (e.g. on her social media). Watch videos of her in competition or check pics posted by Skate Canada or Danielle Earl. You typically see something different...and less alarming.

Still, she was noticeably thinner this past season compared to the Olympics.
I worry about her.

karmena

I can't imagine it being healthy or helpful at all to receive thousands of likes on a FaceTuned photo after dealing with the issues she's dealt with. And honestly, I don't see how other skaters liking said photos is really helping. I haven't been in her shoes, but it hasn't been that long since she had to take a break for mental health. I remember she even at one point said she was staying off of social media because it wasn't any good for her, but it didn't last long. And now it's back to the same stuff she was posting pre-break.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

barbarafan

That's good news. I would have hated for a talent like Chartrand to leave eligible skating with the disappointing season she had in 2018/19.

Here's hoping she returns refreshed and skating on her own terms.
I agree...She can skate amazingly but hasn't lately...Seems like it is more a head problem. ie-she has lost her confidence and gets so nervous when she skates that she reverts to prior technique and can't even spin. Away from the stress of competing and hopefully nailing her studies and running her own life might build up her trust and confidence in herself so she could return on her own terms. I so hope to see her soonest. Pina is still one of my favourite programs.

danafan

Canadian ladies über

honey

For some reason I thought Alaine was younger than she is. She would be 25/turning 26 at the next Olympics. Which is by no means old, but that’s a lot of years of skating on your body and mind.

I think taking a break now is probably the best time to do it. She sounds a little burnt out (as she said, she’s never really had time off). She can put her energy fully into school for a while and if she chooses to, there is still time left before the next Olympics to get back into things. Even if she took this whole season off, there would still be another before the Olympic year.

She’s had a rough few seasons now and that can’t have been easy. Maybe some time away will be good for her...allow her to evaluate what she wants to do and reenergize if coming back to competitive skating is what she decides on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information