American Idol Reboot

watchthis!!

Laine and Laci singing Jackson. That was bearable. Almost. :yikes:

So did Katy just "out" their being in a relationship? Or was that a ploy by the producers to bringing attention to the show (and to Laine and Laci, meaning just Laine)?

I wasn't happy hearing what Jeremiah's song choice was, but once he started singing... :swoon: And it's not just the voice itself, but he was really making the most of the melody. Like how he let the hair stylist do up his hair some, plus took a chance of upping his wardrobe game. Win on both counts. On the negative side, he hasn't learned how to work the camera. He needs to ask Laine for some advice.

Alejandro. Meh.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
Laine performed that like he just didn't care. And not in a good way, either. Almost like a joke.

watchthis!!

Well, if America hasn't stuck a fork in Alyssa just yet, pairing her up with Wade should just about do it. That duet was ROUGH. :eek:

Jeremiah and Maidson duet. Kind of a letdown. They're both so strong. I want to believe that if they had more time to work on a duet, it could have been miraculous. As it was, it was listenable when they were singing together and then when each sang on their own, it was so much stronger.

Laine performed that like he just didn't care. And not in a good way, either. Almost like a joke.

What?? I thought Laine was quite strong tonight. I'd say it was his best performance so far. Loved the song choice. And that jacket was KILLER. :rockstar:

vgerdes

I think Laine and Laci have something in common... they look like they're so comfortable on stage, but they both say they struggle with it.

This is by far Laci's strongest vocal of the season, IMO. Well done.

Walker and Alejandro... a bit uneven, but their voices blended well. The second half of the song was much better, IMO. And I loved the outfits.

Last edited:

watchthis!!

I didn't really enjoy Laci's performance. I think she has potential, but I think the pressure is getting to her. The judges probably made a mistake and should have encouraged her to take another year to work with a vocal coach and do a bunch of live performing. I would have liked to have seen her on this show with more experience under her belt.

Alejandro and Walker's duet. OH NO! Alejandro is holding Walker's head under the water! While he's drowning on his own! He's taking them both down!!! :yikes::yikes::yikes:

vgerdes

It used to be that the final performance of the night was the showcase. The way they have the voting set up this year, the person closing the show has a huge disadvantage.

I really like Wade, but he is by far the weakest vocalist left on this show. He makes the most of what he has, but... Queen just isn't in his wheelhouse. At all.

Alyssa... such an obvious voice crack in that opening. Ouch. The rest was very good.

And... Alyssa and Walker are going home. Not the result I expected. Wade looked absolutely stunned that he got through, and to be honest, I agreed with him. He was Not. Good. tonight.

Last edited:

watchthis!!

Wade was on the stage for a while and then Alyssa did a pretty good job with her song. Then the results

Wade and Alejandro stay and Alyssa and Walker go home? WTF??? America is on drugs.

moebius

Wade was on the stage for a while and then Alyssa did a pretty good job with her song. Then the results

Wade and Alejandro stay and Alyssa and Walker go home? WTF??? America is on drugs.
Wade will most likely leave next week along with probably Laci or Jeremiah.
Alejandro will most likely be in the finals or at least in the top 4 whether you like it or not.

love skating

Clueless American
I agree about going later being a disadvantage, although it didn't seem to hurt Wade (who I thought was by far the worst!) I thought Madison was the best. Jeremiah was good. I thought Laine was good however I feel like it's the same performance each week and would like to see a little more variety from him. Laci was okay though I thought she sounded better in the package practice. Alejandro - hmm, changed the song up too much - he only has one sound really so these themes are showing his weakness. I liked both Walker and Alyssa all season and thought they both did alright tonight so am sad to see them go but not totally surprised. We knew Alyssa was not getting the voter vote so it was a question of who would be the other one out of the seven who originally got voted in. I'm worried though that next week Wade will be out and they will save him! :wall:

Allskate

I did not think that either Ragu or Walker were the bottom two performers tonight. Given past weeks, though, it was pretty clear that she would be one of the bottom two. Walker got screwed being in that duet with Alejandro.

If Laine were not a cute country boy, he would not still be in this competition. The voice itself is not impressive and he doesn't have any other outstanding skills.

Alejandro is creative and has guitar skills, but his voice is literally weak.

I thought that Wade's voice was kind of cool with that song tonight, but he did have a problem with the lyrics. Even he looked shocked that he did not go home.

I haven't really cared much for Laci, but I thought she did well tonight.

ETA: I thought that the best singer tonight was Adam. Just the little bits they showed of him singing while working with the contestants he sounded wonderful. I also though he was an excellent mentor. Nice, but willing to provide constructive criticism.

Last edited:

Sally1214

Wade will most likely leave next week along with probably Laci or Jeremiah.
Alejandro will most likely be in the finals or at least in the top 4 whether you like it or not.

Well, I, for one, will NOT like it if Alejandro is in the finals. I think everything he does sounds the same. His voice is weak and I can only make out bits of the lyrics he sings. He's practically whispering at times & has ZERO stage presence. I agree that he ruined Walker's chances with those changes he made to their duet. In the real music world, Alejandro is going nowhere, IMO.

Wade was HORRIBLE tonight on "We are the Champions." He was shocked that he stayed .. and deservedly so.

Hopefully, they will be the next 2 to go.

it was a shame that Demetrius was not there for Queen night ... he had the "operatic" voice to nail some of those difficult notes perfectly, IMO.

I'm not over enthralled with anyone who is left but would say Jeremiah and Madison have the best voices and should be in the mix for the finals.

Edited to add: I thought Adam Lambert did a very good job as the mentor for Queen nightl

watchthis!!

Well, I, for one, will NOT like it if Alejandro is in the finals. I think everything he does sounds the same. His voice is weak and I can only make out bits of the lyrics he sings. He's practically whispering at times & has ZERO stage presence. I agree that he ruined Walker's chances with those changes he made to their duet.

I was hoping that Walker would just look at Alejandro and say, "nope...we're doing the original arrangement". And then belt out the song while letting Alejandro whisper his way through the lyrics. Then perhaps look at Alejandro and say, "perhaps you should project a little more". :lol:

Last edited:

skatesindreams

Wade was HORRIBLE tonight on "We are the Champions." He was shocked that he stayed .. and deservedly so.
Jeremiah and Madison have the best voices and should be in the mix for the finals.
I thought Adam Lambert did a very good job as the mentor for Queen night
Agree with all the above.
Jeremiah and Madison make the best use of what they have; through being naturally gifted (Madison), or well-trained (Jeremiah)

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Last night wasn't an all-around disaster but it wasn't stellar by any means. WTH is voting for Wade & Alejandro? Everything they did was unpleasant. You notice their duet partners are the ones who went home.

Walker - Crazy Little Thing - This didn't sound as bad as I had feared but hearing it & watching it at the same time was a kiss of death for him. He was like a drunk dad trying to sing karaoke.

Madison - Show Must Go On - Very good as usual but for some reason she does nothing for me. I wouldn't hate it if she won but I wish she would step out of her box for once & sing something besides ballads. She doesn't show much personality.

Jeremiah - Who Wants to Live Forever - I didn't think this was his best. He sounded like he was straining to hit the notes pretty much the entire song. For the rest, see Madison above.

Laine - Fat Bottomed Girls - This should have been the finale. Not the best voice but he's my favorite because he's so much fun to watch. I loved his gold shoes. He's having the kind of season that Adam Lambert had.

Laci - Love of My Life - I could hardly hear her plus she did that breaking voice thing as usual. But probably her best so far.

Alyssa - Somebody To Love - I didn't like the arrangement & I don't think she has enough swagger for that song but she sounded pretty good. I don't know why singing shows have Queen night. It would be like making them sing Stevie Wonder. Very few can.

Susan1

Last night wasn't an all-around disaster but it wasn't stellar by any means. WTH is voting for Wade & Alejandro? Everything they did was unpleasant. You notice their duet partners are the ones who went home.

Walker - Crazy Little Thing - This didn't sound as bad as I had feared but hearing it & watching it at the same time was a kiss of death for him. He was like a drunk dad trying to sing karaoke.

Madison - Show Must Go On - Very good as usual but for some reason she does nothing for me. I wouldn't hate it if she won but I wish she would step out of her box for once & sing something besides ballads. She doesn't show much personality.

Jeremiah - Who Wants to Live Forever - I didn't think this was his best. He sounded like he was straining to hit the notes pretty much the entire song. For the rest, see Madison above.

Laine - Fat Bottomed Girls - This should have been the finale. Not the best voice but he's my favorite because he's so much fun to watch. I loved his gold shoes. He's having the kind of season that Adam Lambert had.

Laci - Love of My Life - I could hardly hear her plus she did that breaking voice thing as usual. But probably her best so far.

Alyssa - Somebody To Love - I didn't like the arrangement & I don't think she has enough swagger for that song but she sounded pretty good. I don't know why singing shows have Queen night. It would be like making them sing Stevie Wonder. Very few can.
Mostly agree (I actually stayed awake this time)
Alejandro is a better guitar player than a singer. So I guess it's a good thing we can't even hear him most of the time. Are they ever going to eliminate him?
Wade's voice makes my throat hurt. He doesn't really "sing".
Alyssa acts like she's on Miss America or something, but I like her voice.
Laci sings out of her throat. That's the only way I can describe it.
Adam looked and sounded good.
Question - does Queen + Adam put out new stuff?

Megi

They have not up to date but there's been some speculation of that lately as Brian may made a comment somewhere about "making new music". I guess time will tell. For now, they have a new world tour, starting in early July, coming up.

However, what they have done is go back to some deep cuts from Queen catalogue and redo/refresh them slightly, so to many it's almost like "new stuff" since they're more obscure songs. Two notable examples: "Love Kills" and "Play the Game".

ETA: One Queen song that Adam has really made "his" is Who Wants to Live Forever.

Last edited:

vgerdes

They haven't yet, but I think they're working their way up to it, considering all the heavy promo they've been doing lately about Adam officially being their new front man. I mean, I know they're doing a world tour, but I don't think they would have made such a big deal about Adam being part of the band now if they weren't planning to release some new stuff together.

Megi

They haven't yet, but I think they're working their way up to it, considering all the heavy promo they've been doing lately about Adam officially being their new front man. I mean, I know they're doing a world tour, but I don't think they would have made such a big deal about Adam being part of the band now if they weren't planning to release some new stuff together.

Exactly, they've done two world tours previously without much publicity. This is way different, I think the plan was to spend the last 15 months or so paying homage to Freddie surrounding "Bohemian Rhapsody" the movie, then roll out the "life after Freddie" documentary that airs on ABC at 8 pm tonight and then go full speed ahead into this gigantic tour (arena shows in the US and Canada, then stadium shows in Asia and Australia/New Zealand and I assume Europe next summer) and I think new music will happen sometime in between.

We may need to start a Queen thread at some point. :lol:

Last edited:

Susan1

I think the plan was to spend last 15 months or so paying homage to Freddie around "Bohemian Rhapsody" the movie, then roll out the "life after Freddie" documentary that airs on ABC at 8 pm tonight
Yeah, that timing makes sense.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Madison is my favorite. So much ease moving between really difficult notes. I think it’s between her, Jeremiah, and Laine with the latter having the most marketability.

Not really a fan of Alejandro’s soft style (for this kind of stage) or Wade.

Susan1

Madison is my favorite. So much ease moving between really difficult notes. I think it’s between her, Jeremiah, and Laine with the latter having the most marketability.

Not really a fan of Alejandro’s soft style (for this kind of stage) or Wade.
I haven't said who my favorite was. I hope you didn't just jinx "somebody"!

BaileyCatts

Here's my Top 8. :p

8: Wade. I can hear Simon now ....don't forget your words!!! He really should have gone tonight.

7: Walker. Was like a high school variety show performance. Oh he can sing nice, and that was a very good Show Choir performance. But this ain't Show Choir. :p

6: Jeremiah. Ugh. SSsssssssoooooooooo boring!!!!! I now wish he WOULD have just done a straight up copy versus trying to change it because that arrangement was just awful. It was like the music playing and the song he was singing was two different songs.

5: Alejandro. Yikes. I knew he would change up anything he sang, but he changed that up wwaayy too much for my liking.

4: Alyssa. I kinda liked this. She does have a good voice. But it was a little too ... I don't know ... pageant-y??

3: Laci. Not bad, but I'm not familiar with that song so I don't know if she changed it up or anything. But either her mic was fading in and out, or my hearing is going. If that was intentional on her part, I'd bump her to 4th and put Alyssa in 3rd instead. :p

2: Madison. She's got the best voice, but lacks something in her performance ability.

1: Laine. But those boots!! :rofl: And I love that freaking song. And let's face it ... he has all the factors that American Idol is looking for. And he's going to win. So there. :p

Does anyone know what the theme is for next week?

Allskate

I don't get that comparison. Maybe more like Kris Allen's season. I still think I'd compare him more to Scotty McCreery. I think he's going to win. And not because he has the best voice or is the most artistic or the best musician.

Susan1

I don't get that comparison. Maybe more like Kris Allen's season. I still think I'd compare him more to Scotty McCreery. I think he's going to win. And not because he has the best voice or is the most artistic or the best musician.
Speaking of Kris Allen - did anybody watch the Queen and Adam special last night? Kris Allen beat Adam in his season. What ever happened to HIM? Who won Chris Daughtry's season?
(p.s. the AT&T on-screen guide descriptions said it was about Adam joining the "band of Queens". Got a chuckle out of that.)
Adam still has a solo career too. I don't listen to popular music, so I didn't know, but I do remember hearing the second song he put out.

Megi

Speaking of Kris Allen - did anybody watch the Queen and Adam special last night? Kris Allen beat Adam in his season. What ever happened to HIM? Who won Chris Daughtry's season?
(p.s. the AT&T on-screen guide descriptions said it was about Adam joining the "band of Queens". Got a chuckle out of that.)
Adam still has a solo career too. I don't listen to popular music, so I didn't know, but I do remember hearing the second song he put out.

I remember hearing somewhere that Kris Allen was in a serious car accident a few years after Idol and that slowed his career down. But in reality, whatever he does, he'll largely remain a footnote in the Adam Lambert Story.

I watched the docu and thought it was fantastic.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....

The comparison is that Adam was a front-runner from the start & never had a bad night. That's not true of Kris Allen. BTW the last I heard of Kris was that he has a very successful career as a song arranger & musician.

IMO Scotty was a front-runner because the judges pimped him from the 1st, I don't know why. I hated everything he did. I thought he was a one-trick pony & a novelty act with his Alfred E Neuman looks & his bass voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information