Papadakis/Cizeron #8 - Oh Lover Hold On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viscaro

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Les Demoiselles de Rochefort /l'arrivée des camionneurs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGlfkX3886Q
Exactly, when I heard about the RD being based on musical and it, being not my cup of tea, I thought of Les Demoiselles de Rochefort for P/C. One of the musical I enjoy, plus Michel Legrand's music is just excellent. It would be edgy yet light enough for them.

Laney

I only read the interview now as I didn´t had the time for google translation. And what can I say? I cried like a baby. I feel so much for them. The situation must have been sooo difficult. As someone who gets ill under pressure like this I can imagine who hard it must have been. I wouldn´t had survived this. I´m sooo proud of them and I love them sooo much!!! I love all their interviews, esp. when they totally speak their minds. And I don´t get the controversity about this interview.
What I have in common with them is, theat I also never re-watched their Olympic programs. While I watched their Europeans und Worlds programs thousands of times, I never re-watched the Olympics. It´s too painful. I know they did so great in both programs. I adimre Gabby so much that she skated in the SD as nothing happend. And the FD was a dream come true. But I never watched it again...

Laney

BTW I always wanted to write how it was for me to see them live in Grenoble in November. It was the first time I saw them in a competition. I still don´t have enough words to describe what I felt, even not in my mother languague. But I can tell you that after I was back at home and at work, really a lot of people asked me what happend because I was still on cloud seven :D A friend asked me what happend that I was so glooming and that she wanted to have the same as I had. I said I watched Gabby and Guillaume, and she was sooo dissapointed because she doesn´t know them and couldn´t believe I was still so high because I saw some skaters :D
Every fan should get the chance to watch them live some day. It was an incredible experience. And the moment in the FD practice where they showed their new costumes and started to skate - what can I say? It was pure happiness!!!! Like christmas, birthday, a warm day in spring and everything wonderful the very same time!! Really, I was so full of pure happiness and still am when I remember this. And I will never ever forget it! It was like falling in love. Just that I had been falling in love with them several years before. But sometimes when you think you can´t love someone even more you understand you can. I think it was a moment like this. It carried me for at least two weeks on a cloud.
I think it´s one of the most wonderful things in my life to watch them skate. Don´t get me wrong, I´m a happy person, optimistic and have a satisfiying life. But they make it even richer. I´m sooo grateful to be able to watch them skate. Live, on TV or youtube. It´s a real gift!

Bruna22

I am big fan of Gabby and Guillaume. To me nobody in ice dance compares to them. I understand the disappoinmnt Gabby feeling for losing the gold. She knows and we understand that only reason they lost gold was because of wardrobe malfunction. How could this happen at the Olympics!! :mad: :mad:

canbelto

I read the interview. I thought it was clear that Gabby was saying she was upset not because they lost, but the way they lost: a freak event in the OD that embarrassed her and also put them behind in points. She doesn't say anything negative personally about Tessa and Scott. She sounds madder just that her Olympic experience was pretty shit.

Honestly, this happens a lot at the Olympics. Have read many athlete interviews where they talk about the difference between what they should feel (happiness, being honored to be at the Olympics) and the reality (the pressure, the disappointment, the loneliness).

alain06fr

we understand that only reason they lost gold was because of wardrobe malfunction. How could this happen at the Olympics!! :mad: :mad:

As mentioned in G&G’s interview, the exact same dress problem happened twice before OG: First at the Finlandia Trophy in October 2017 (during a practice) and once again at Europeans in January 2018 (6 weeks prior OG...).

One may understand such major issue happens once, but twice, certainly not!
So having to face this problem for the 3rd time especially at OG - where one expects everything to be meticulously prepared and anything at risk to be carefully supervised in details and triple checked - doesn’t make sense at all.

This problem never ever happened after OGs though the dress was used so many times (Worlds in Milan and all exhibition galas - French Tour, Japan, Grand Prix 2018, etc.).

Last edited:

sharsk8s

As mentioned in G&G’s interview, the exact same dress problem happened twice before OG: First at the Finlandia Trophy in October 2017 (during a practice) and once again at Europeans in January 2018 (6 weeks prior OG... still during a practice).

One may understand such major issue happens once, but twice, certainly not!
So having to face this problem for the 3rd time especially at OG - where one expects everything to be meticulously prepared and anything at risk to be carefully supervised in details and triple checked - doesn’t make sense at all.

Strangely enough, this problem never ever happened after OGs though the dress was used so many times (Worlds in Milan and all exhibition galas - French Tour, Japan, Grand Prix 2018, etc.).
I am sure after the OG they either got a different version of the dress or figured out a way to secure it completely. I don't think Gabi would wear it again if there was even a slight chance it would come undone. Also I think part of the problem at the OG was that Guillaume was wearing a long sleeve shirt which I read got caught in her dress and tore the stitching during their opening movement.

alain06fr

I am sure after the OG they either got a different version of the dress or figured out a way to secure it completely. I don't think Gabi would wear it again if there was even a slight chance it would come undone. Also I think part of the problem at the OG was that Guillaume was wearing a long sleeve shirt which I read got caught in her dress and tore the stitching during their opening movement.

She kept on using the same dress after OG and the way to secure it completely was (and had to be) fully clarified at Europeans prior RD. Well it was already clarified in Finland!

Last edited:

Bigbird

I'm looking forward to what they bring to the RD next season, I hope they bring something uniquely French and inimitable. Ditto for the FD in terms of sheer brilliance. They need to make a statement that says we've got this and we're gonna really enjoy evolving these next three seasons.

alain06fr

She knows and we understand that only reason they lost gold was because of wardrobe malfunction. How could this happen at the Olympics!! :mad: :mad:

Just have a look to the interview and you’ll find out that the dress issue was the main but not the only reason why they lost gold. Gaby & Guillaume actually managed to still perform brilliantly their RD despite this problem and this is another side of their exceptional talent, connection and strength.

Judy

sorry I posted a comment and it picked up the wrong quote .. so weird. I will come back and try again lol.

canbelto

I think looking back they should have arrived in Pyeongchang earlier and gone through every scenario. You need awhile to get used to the ice, get used to the rink, be comfortable in the costumes, everything. Also soak in some of that Olympic experience. I'm sad that Gabby has no good memories of the Olympics. Maybe a few years down the line she will. But it really is a once in a lifetime experience and I hope she can see that eventually.

Judy

Just have a look to the interview and you’ll find out that the dress issue was the main but not the only reason why they lost gold. Gaby & Guillaume actually managed to still perform brilliantly their RD despite this problem and this is another side of their exceptional talent, connection and strength.

I know that you had mentioned the point difference but a lot of people thought V/M were undermarked in the team competition. Regardless, they did put back the more difficult lift and then had their best performance of the year for that program.so I don’t think it was cheating on the judge’s part.

As for the costume I thought it was a new dress for the Olympics? I am not going back to translate the interview but I thought I’d read that previously.

Bruna22

For me it seem like Marie France and Patch more invested to get VM another gold medal because poor babies could not win gold in SochI and they was very bitter about it. And I understand that Marie France and Patch was close friends to them as well. If they knew about previous issues to Gabbys dress they should have taking steps to make sure it didn’t happen at Olympics!! Should not the coaches take some responsibility in this or am I wrong???

Orm Irian

As for the costume I thought it was a new dress for the Olympics? I am not going back to translate the interview but I thought I’d read that previously.

Yes, it was a new dress, or at least a new top, and IIRC they did know that there was an issue with it because the clasp popped open in practice. That's why they asked their performance/mental coach to sew it shut, as they mentioned in the interview. The thread still broke and the clasp came open. Sometimes bad luck is just determined to get you, I guess!

alain06fr

I'm calling it now: this thread is gonna down the FSU hall of shame/fame for being cancelled a second time :scream:
(at least it will be during the off season this time, much less bothering:D)

This call for censorship is totally out of place and ridiculous.

Forced silence, censorship and truncated debates bring nothing good apart from bitterness and the feeling of trying to hide things. I guess you’re big enough to let the others express themselves and have your own opinion. Feel free to join any discussions you are interested in and just ignore the rest.

Radio Canada published G&G’s interview in its entirety. A nice lesson of freedom of speech to all censors.

Viscaro

It is not censorship, the thread was not closed because of what the members were discussing there. It was because the mods received abusive emails.

But please understand that not all PC fans want to discuss how PC were victims of MFD ad nauseam, especially when there is no serious proof to support it, and nothing new was revealed. There is no point in discussing it again and again and again. Personally I like MFD, I see no reason to distrust her, you do not agree, that's okay. Let's not get trap in Groundhog Day.

Last edited:

alain06fr

G&G and Gasbois coaches is a success story.
A success story for G&G
A success story for Gadbois coaches (MFD, Romain, PL, Catherine Pinard, etc.)

Life in Gadbois was great. A group of couples being friends and sharing the ice.

Things changed as soon as V/M came back. It’s now very clear. And they didn’t really change for the best, unfortunately.

And then started the Olympic season with Gaby & Guillaume being the first crossing the symbolic threshold of 200pts, getting SB after SB, word records after world records, and winning the GPF with a comfortable margin.

Then came OG and the drama... 3 seconds only after starting the very first program of their very first OG in their life while competing for gold. A dress issue, the same dress issue, for the 3rd time! This was crazy... Completely crazy! There’s no word to describe this. It’s just unreal. 4 years of intensive preparation, hard work, full commitment and an olympic season with all these world records and breathtaking performances to get ... that!? They could have lost because of technical mistakes or some uncontrolled movement on the ice. That’s life. That’s sport. They would have accepted it without any problem. They have never been bad loosers, never ever... They’re fair and honest ... but such a crazy story... At this moment, the success story turns into a complete nightmare.

This trauma is so huge that G&G, their families, their friends, their fans, etc. never watched the OG performances again. They lived a nightmare once, they’re not yet ready to live it twice.

This interview is great as it gives a much better picture of V/M’s comeback and its consequences in Gadbois. Moreover it shows that Gaby and Guillaume managed to overcome this huge trauma and that’s the most important thing in the end.

I never understood why the coaches never explained what happened - at least roughly - and never shouldered their own responsibility publicly instead of remaining silent or even worse, shifting the responsibility on the skaters.

Whether we like it or not, people want to understand what happened. And if X made a mistake, if Y acted reckless, if Z was not committed as he should then we can’t change it now, it’s part of the history and humans are humans, right?

Time has come to understand - as adults - how such crazy story happened, especially at OG. The goal is not to find guilty parties but understand once forever to definitely move forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information