Downgraded jumps at Adult Sectionals

ioana

Am hoping some of the judges who read this can weigh in. Noticed a lot of downgraded jumps (especially axels in silver ladies) at this year's Adult Sectionals. Was there a change in rules when it comes to what leads to that call, i.e. more than half a revolution short? Since it seems more prevalent in lower levels, I was thinking it 'just' looked like an attempt to prevent bad attempts at harder jumps and maybe penalizing some of the cheated take-offs, as well.

Am doing a local event in about 2 weeks, with two axels :yikes:so odds are I would find out soon enough, but figured it was worth asking, even if it might be hard to have an opinion without specific videos and protocols.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Yes, the calling changed. If it's at the quarter, it's under. Last year, the quarter was still fine. Seeing this happen across the board at all levels, and I don't think people are aware the calling changed.

ioana

Yes, the calling changed. If it's at the quarter, it's under. Last year, the quarter was still fine. Seeing this happen across the board at all levels, and I don't think people are aware the calling changed.

I knew about the under change, but this is a fair reminder. What struck me were the downgrades, not so much under-rotations (those I would almost expect, based on the change you just mentioned again). Guess Shin Amano decided to moonlight at Adult Sectionals this year :p considering how many downgrades showed up.

ioana

I didn't compete at Sectionals this year but watching Gold and Silver Champs, I saw the downgrades happened when people were ekeing out jumps (ie bad combos and whatnot).

Oh, I toe waltz when there's nothing wrong with my first jump in a combo, so realistically under-rotated toes would be fine for me. I just do those to be able to repeat jumps anyways. Was more worried about the downgraded axels since 0 pts instead of 2.2 is a big change in your TS, but will see what happens in 2 weeks. Too late to change things around now and feedback is part of the reason I do this. It is good to know they were mostly after iffy jumps in combos, though. Thank you for posting your first-hand impressions!

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Oh just to be clear: There were many downgrades on solo jumps as well. The panels were very similar to the ones at New Year's Invitational and skaters received similar judging there.

Moral of the story: Good jump technique is... Good? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gkelly

Does anyone know where to find the results page for Adult Easterns? I found it last night but I've been looking around now and can't seem to find it again.

HSCluv

Is it going to be possible to watch Adult Sectionals and Nationals like it has been in years passed on Ice Network?

Last edited:

ioana

As an update, managed to get sick the week before I competed and never got better before the event. So the two axels turned into waltz jumps, complete with stalking them like real axels since I had every intention of rotating. And I wasn't -ahem- particularly fast overall, meaning I managed to get two time deductions. On the bright side, my flying camel got called and sit back sit was 1.6 pts. Also, turns out toe loops are where the bigger crackdown is on under-rotation so have gotten back to working on those in combos. Slightly frustrating to have a worse outing than last year since program itself is in a better place, but eh wellz. Had a few friends (and awesome dog!) show up to see me skate, so that was nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information