Need a recommendation for new skates

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Well, the Edea Dance boots and blades experiment is over as far as I'm concerned. After nearly two years, I simply can't manage these damned things. My upper body is too big and my puny size 5.5 feet in roughly 4.5 boots and smaller narrower blades, well, it's just not working. Today I went out on the ice after a 2 week vacation in my old Klingbeil's and Coronation Aces. It was scary for a few minutes, but then I picked up the rhythm with them again fairly quickly although I mainly stuck to basic forward skating and edges. But even trying backwards for a moment, I was able to glide on one foot, something that has never happened with the low-cut dance boots. I really believe I need more ankle support and regular sized blade to balance me on such small skates. My now main coach, Philippe, has commented several times that he wishes I had size 7 or 8 or bigger feet, this would have been much easier for me.

So, there's no more Klingbeil and I won't buy Avanta on principle (hello, Karen Chen). I'm going to speak with Philippe tomorrow and my other coach (Damian Dodge) shortly thereafter, but I'd appreciate some thoughts here. I'm 5 foot 4 - and here's my problem. Very WIDE shoulders and back, and I'm a 36DD chest on a short waist, a sizeable booty, short legs and skinny ankles and tiny feet (I'm living proof God has a senses of humor...). I'm strictly doing recreational skating/dance now, no more jumping. I'll probably stick to the Aces for blades, but what are your thoughts on boots? Thanks in advance.

Willin

@Yazmeen I love my SP Teri dance boots. I have the same skinny ankles and tiny feet and a curvier body and do about the same type of skating it sounds like you're doing. They've held up shockingly well through everything - I've had the pair for 7 years, skated 10+ hours/week on them through college, and they're hardly broken down at all. The thing I liked most was their ability to assess my foot strength and adjust certain parts of the skates accordingly - ie. less ankle padding. I actually just bought a new identical replacement pair. My only complaint is the price, but they do give good discounts.

I know that a lot of people are either SP Teri or Harlick (it's a huge bay area skate debate for whatever reason). You might want to look at both. While I love SP Teri, I have friends that are just as passionate about Harlick.

Yazmeen

Thanks, @Willin - appreciate the feedback. I remember the late Bill Klingbeil telling me my used Reidells were wrong for me because I have the often typical female foot, with a wider forefoot and a narrower heel. He told me SP Teri's would have worked better.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
You could also try a Jackson low cut model, as they have a similar profile to Klingbeil.

LOL I know I sound like a broken record on the Jacksons; I'm a former KB customer thats landed in low cuts because I wanted a similar fit.

Yazmeen

I definitely want something that COVERS and supports my ankle this time. That's a good part of the problem with the Edea Dance.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Thanks, @Willin - appreciate the feedback. I remember the late Bill Klingbeil telling me my used Reidells were wrong for me because I have the often typical female foot, with a wider forefoot and a narrower heel. He told me SP Teri's would have worked better.

I'm in Harlicks for the same reason - a split width, with a wider forefoot and a narrower heel. I also used to have Reidells,which never fit me no matter how many times I had them adjusted.

Yazmeen

Spoke to the skate guru at the Philadelphia Skating Club and Humane Society and set up an appointment for next week. He commented that he's had many adults who cannot adapt well to Edea's and some other modern styles after "old-style" boots like my Klingbeil's. They don't feel like their feet are getting down into the ice, and they struggle with them as I did. Excited but nervous, hoping this will work out much better for me.

Willin

@Theoreticalgirl Idk how recently you bought your last pair of Jackson's, but they recently moved to a thinner plastic-sole and boot profile closer to what Edeas have. I have no idea if they're still selling the older models.

Theoreticalgirl

@Theoreticalgirl Idk how recently you bought your last pair of Jackson's, but they recently moved to a thinner plastic-sole and boot profile closer to what Edeas have. I have no idea if they're still selling the older models.

I have the Elite LC model, which doesn't have that awful sole. FWIW if you order custom/quasi-custom, you can pick the sole of your choosing.

spinZZ

Note that Jackson boots specified as being built on the "Elite last" come stock in split width: the heel is one width narrower than the toe. Jackson has recently expanded the number of models built on the Elite last.

If you need more than one width differential, and need no other changes requiring a full custom, you can get a semi-custom in some models, at lower cost than a full custom.

Yazmeen

I have some concern regarding Jackson's considering a friend was originally put in what was supposed to be a sturdy pair and that started breaking down and creating other problems within a couple of months. Will be interesting to see what the Ardmore guru recommends. I liked that he told me to bring three things: 1. Myself; 2. My old Klingbeil's; and 3. The Edea's. He wants to see both pairs of boots along with me.

Theoreticalgirl

I have some concern regarding Jackson's considering a friend was originally put in what was supposed to be a sturdy pair and that started breaking down and creating other problems within a couple of months. Will be interesting to see what the Ardmore guru recommends. I liked that he told me to bring three things: 1. Myself; 2. My old Klingbeil's; and 3. The Edea's. He wants to see both pairs of boots along with me.

I’ve had zero complaints with my Jacksons and I am a fat lady landing Axels in them. For me, as a previous Klingbeil wearer, They’ve been working out great. As always, YMMV!

Are you seeing Fran?

Yazmeen

I’ve had zero complaints with my Jacksons and I am a fat lady landing Axels in them. For me, as a previous Klingbeil wearer, They’ve been working out great. As always, YMMV!

Are you seeing Fran?

Yes, on Monday. Really got a good first impression of him over the phone.

spinZZ

The Jackson line includes models that support quad jumps, so you should be able to find a model sturdy enough for your needs. The key is to select the right model (assuming proper fit), rather than dismissing the entire line.

Theoreticalgirl

The Jackson line includes models that support quad jumps, so you should be able to find a model sturdy enough for your needs. The key is to select the right model (assuming proper fit), rather than dismissing the entire line.

ITA; my low cut boot has a rating of 85. But to be fair, certain brands fit certain shapes of feet better than others, and that's reason enough to dismiss an entire manufacturer.

Yazmeen

I wasn't dismissing the entire line; however, my husband also had Jackson's recommended that should have worked above his level (should have easily worked for at least double jumps and he only had a toeloop) and he broke them down quickly doing essentially recreational skating, barely 2 hours per week. He ended up with Reidells which served him well for years until he stopped skating for gout-related foot problems that developed. So my personal observation doesn't put Jackson's at the top of my list. That said, I'm certainly willing to consider them IF Fran believes they would be the best option for me.

Yazmeen

Skate fitting done, Risport Royal Pros on order, hopefully in within the week. Sticking to the Coronation Ace blade; good all purpose blade and it works for me. I liked the fit and the feel of the Risports (ironically had to try on a dance boot to get the correct sizing).

The pro was surprised by the Edea's I was using, pointed out that they were really meant for Gold level dances and skating well above my level. He has known Scott Hamilton for years - when Edea's first became available, he got them for Scott. Scott later complained that he couldn't jump in the skates and that he didn't feel like he was getting down into the ice in them. That's pretty much how I felt with them, then add in the dance boot cut and blade. The pro said he's seen quite a few adults who don't deal with them well after having older, traditional boots like my Klingbeil's or Scott's Harlicks. The Risport is basically a nice middle ground; newer technology but a bit heavier and more supportive than my Edea's. He also brought up Jackson's, but we both liked the way the Risport's fit on my feet. I have a skatebuddy at Hatfield who just got the same boot, and she is thrilled with them; fingers crossed!!!!

vesperholly

Skate fitting done, Risport Royal Pros on order, hopefully in within the week. Sticking to the Coronation Ace blade; good all purpose blade and it works for me. I liked the fit and the feel of the Risports (ironically had to try on a dance boot to get the correct sizing).
Come back and tell me how they work out for you!! I was just looking at Risports the other day. They look a lot like Klingbeils to me.

Yazmeen

Come back and tell me how they work out for you!! I was just looking at Risports the other day. They look a lot like Klingbeils to me.

I pick them up on Monday - he had to do a little heatwork on the right skate (too tight around my little toe, now fine after he worked his magic). Unlike Edea’s, Risport uses a more traditional leather sole and heel, so he’s doing multiple coats of water proofing for me then setting the blades. I’m on my way to Seneca Lake wine country on a ladies trip, so the big test comes on Monday. Fingers (but not toes) crossed!! 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Yazmeen

Picked up the Risports today, and my first impression is two thumbs up - see my comments in the Practice Thread.

DannyCurry

Hi,
I'm also looking for recommendation on new skates.
I never had a problem on Risport RF3 (275 boots / 10,5 blades - Coronation Ace) but last season, when I went to the shop to get my skates sharpened, the guy checked the sole of my boots and said I should switch to a smaller size. So I did, switching to 270 boots / 10,25 blades. Unfortunately, it's been a while now and I still don't feel as comfortable in those. True, it made the turns quicker, but I have to struggle to find stability. Plus, there were some other unpleasant downsides : the boots smell bad (a problem I didn't have on bigger boots), and they broke down super quickly (while I skated less !).

I've been thinking of switching to Edea but I'm still undecided. Also, I've been wondering about Risport Blade Fit chart. Does everyone respect that chart or do some of you choose another blade size on purpose ?

Thank you !

bladesofgorey

I switched to Edea pianos from Reidell Gold stars a couple months ago which were a full size too big for me and went down 3/4 of an inch in blade size.
A couple thoughts- if you don't feel stable on the smaller blade, Edeas will have an even *shorter* blade and in addition should be fit much tighter/smaller than standard leather boots (at least the Pianos which I have, not certain about other models). I felt extremely unstable in them for the first three weeks or so and was pretty much hating life.
But the last two weeks I've gotten used to them and absolutely love them, and would never, ever (ever!)go back to a different skate. I suddenly regained a bunch of skills I thought were gone forever in them. They have turned out to be the best boot for me. YMMV.
Oh, and my skates *stink* now and I'd never had a problem with that in any of my leather boots. So it sounds to me there are a lot of dealbreakers for switching to that brand for you.

(p.s. does anyone have any advice for how to stop my Edeas from being so stinky? I'm dying here.)

Theoreticalgirl

Why not just switch back to the old sizing if that didn't give you problems? Switching boot brands could give you more issues.

Theoreticalgirl

@bladesofgorey A few things, as a person who skates barefoot:

• Mix together vinegar and distilled water to spray in your skates after use.
  • Make sure to air out skates everytime you use them.
  • Keep charcoal packets in your skates to cut down on odor in between uses.
  • Wash your skate insoles every 2-3 months.

Last edited:

DannyCurry

Why not just switch back to the old sizing if that didn't give you problems? Switching boot brands could give you more issues.

Yes, I will most definitely switch back to the old sizing. Yes, switching boot brands could give me more issues, but I may feel more comfortable as well. Unfortunately I can't borrow Edea skates to try them on ice and see if I feel better in that brand.

Against the "stinking" boots, I've tried many things : skating barefoot and putting baby powder, testing many different kinds of socks, using some "Captodor" spray (inefficient), putting sneaker balls and using shoes deodorizer..I will try the vinegar and charcoal (though hopefully switching back to the bigger size will help keep the smell away).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information