Canadian Men 2018-19 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarafan

Wow, so who is this Gogolev currently in first place at JGP Bratislava????

:eek::eek::eek:
He has been training at TCC for a few yrs. Between 10 and 12 he picked up 3A and all quads(except axel) but he was too young to compete. He won..pre-novice, then novice, then junior and last yr was 10th in seniors. He is in the middle of growing now so he doesn't look as squishy as he did(at one pt he was coming up to his competitors waist). He turned 13 in December so is now old enough for JGP..... He is not allowed to jump a lot in training (especially quads)to protect him from injury but he still is looking good.The long will be tougher.....fingers crossed he does ok.

Colonel Green

He’s going to be attempting the quad Lutz tomorrow, which will be interesting. He fell on it in the only attempt he’s made on it in competition thus far, but Orser isn’t the kind of coach who puts wing-and-a-prayer elements in programs, so he must have good reason to think he can do it in competition.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
He has been training at TCC for a few yrs. Between 10 and 12 he picked up 3A and all quads(except axel) but he was too young to compete. He won..pre-novice, then novice, then junior and last yr was 10th in seniors. He is in the middle of growing now so he doesn't look as squishy as he did(at one pt he was coming up to his competitors waist). He turned 13 in December so is now old enough for JGP..... He is not allowed to jump a lot in training (especially quads)to protect him from injury but he still is looking good.The long will be tougher.....fingers crossed he does ok.

WOWWW... Thanks for the skinny..... Im excited!

coppertop1

I'm impressed! He has all the qualities and loads of potential. He's not age eligible for senior competitions, darn! I'm thinking 2026 might be his time. He will only be 16-17 in 2022 GOF course he could be a prodigy).

Seerek

Interesting that Gogolev's new SP costume for Run Boy Run looks similar in design to Patrick Chan's FS costume from 2006-7.

shutterbug

New Bev Smith article: Nam Nguyen:In The Driver’s Seat
It’s Nam Nguyen, and he’s helping to set up the displays for the Figure Skating Boutique booth. Really?

Yes, really. The 20-year-old former Canadian champion (2015) has got a job, working at fixing skates, sharpening them, “building stuff.” For the skating boutique. He has more than one job, actually. He’s also coaching. “Just because I’m paying for my own stuff this season,” he said. “I need the funds for that. The funding I get from Skate Canada is definitely sufficient, but I need more to get to the next level.”

Sylvia

TBD
Beverley Smith also posted a new article on Keegan Messing today (video of his new "You’ve Got A Friend in Me" SP is embedded): https://bevsmithwrites.com/keegan-messing-what-now/
What did Gogolev skate to for the Free? Because its being blocked in the States.....
I've posted a link to a non-blocked version of Stephen Gogolev's Sherlock Holmes FS in his fan/cheer thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/you-go-gogo-stephen-gogolev-fan-thread.104300/#post-5401377
Also re-posting here from the same thread:
John Wilson Blades posted an interview with Stephen from the Cricket Club last week [filmed before his JGP debut].
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnd8Zrj9uhA

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Article on Conrad Orzel ahead of his international season debut at the JGP in Linz, Austria tomorrow: https://www.ifsmagazine.com/conrad-orzel-embraces-new-challenges/

Nice article, but this quote is incorrect:

In the 2016-2017 season he claimed silver at the junior Grand Prix in Germany, but landed in a distant 10th at his second assignment in France. Last year, he placed seventh at his only junior Grand Prix in Austria.

He got bronze at the JGP in Poland last season, so he's medaled in both seasons on the JGP.

Edited to add: also in the 2016-17 season, he was 10th at his first event in France, then got silver in his second event in Germany.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2016/jgpsmen.htm

screech

Though it wasn't perfect, Nam had a pretty good outing in the SP at the US International Figure Skating Classic, and is currently in the lead by less than 1 point. Though he still isn't getting 'into' the ice and maximizing his power, there does seem to be a bit of improvement in his speed. And he's using his whole body for his movement, which many skaters don't do.

Conversely, Stephen Gogolev seems to have had a difficult go of things in the SP at JGP Canada and is in 7th. He had downgrades, falls and some -GOE. Another Canadian, Iliya Kovler (who I've actually never heard of) is currently in 3rd, though!

dramagrrl

Good for Nam! I hope he is able to carry the good starting momentum from his very early season events through the rest of the season. :)

Emdee

We have to remember that Gogo is only 13. The pressure got to him. Hope he has a better day today.
Nam’s music would be perfect for Keegan’s flowing fun skating! Nam has improved but the jerky style that he has had from early years is still there.

Colonel Green

We have to remember that Gogo is only 13. The pressure got to him. Hope he has a better day today.
While his being 13 absolutely should be kept in mind, it's worth remembering that not even Yuzuru Hanyu wins every contest he enters, so I think approaching Gogo (or any skater, whatever the age) with the presumption that they should always win is imposing unrealistic expectations on them.

All that said, if he delivers in the free what happened in the short won't matter. And if he doesn't, well, that's good experience too in its own way.

barbarafan

While his being 13 absolutely should be kept in mind, it's worth remembering that not even Yuzuru Hanyu wins every contest he enters, so I think approaching Gogo (or any skater, whatever the age) with the presumption that they should always win is imposing unrealistic expectations on them.

All that said, if he delivers in the free what happened in the short won't matter. And if he doesn't, well, that's good experience too in its own way.
ITA....his training as far as jumps are concerned is limited so the muscle memory of an athlete who trains constantly will not be there so it is going to be hit and miss for a while. I thought any place on any podium would be huge success for this year anyways. He always expects a lot from himself and he was not pleased with himself especially seeing as the short is so unforgiving as you can't add anything in. In the long at least if he misses a jump there is usually a pass not planned that he can throw in something to help. Everything is experience under the belt and his circle is not putting any stress on him...only fans and himself.

Rock2

Gogolev is super talented but quite prone to frequent and fairly random mistakes. Included in that list is popping which is a hor-rible habit to develop at any age. Orzel has this problem, too, so if they can reduce or eliminate that habit, I call that progress. So far so good for both.

Kovler has been percolating in the junior ranks for a few years. Fairly consistent but small triples. I believe it's this year where he added the 3A plus he grew and got stronger. This has opened up opportunities. Glad to see him take advantage right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information