American Idol Reboot

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
1. Ada Vox- yassssssssssss :cheer::cheer2: Her talent is superhuman
2. Maddie Poppe- such a cool different song than our typical fare, done so well
3. Mara Justine- incredible pitch
4. Effie- WHAT A DIFFICULT SONG TO PICK. She hit them crazy notes incredibly. And emotionally, not much of a reward, especially given her starting order tonight. I think this was a choice better for a later round maybe, but then again I was blown away. She has shown fabulous versatility- same applies to the 3 singers above also. That outfit was kinda wack. I'd love her to go forward and get just a bit of a wardrobe makeover.
5. Marcio- this was just lovely, but somehow I found myself wishing for the Jasmine Trias version anyway. Go figure.
6. Jurnee- she is so special, that song is a big nothing IMO. That she made it sound that good, wow.
7. Shannon- singing what seems like her 48th Adele song in this competition. I could totally see this not going through even though it was a damn good vocal. She has not shown any versatility and I feel so terrible that she can't like save her family from bankruptcy or whatever. But yea, in this field, she is going to need a little more sparkle. Before people cry wuzrobbed when she inevitably gets cut tonight, go back and watch Kourtney Smith from her group performance, now that was a freakin star who got NO airtime.
8. Ron- super cool tone in many parts. Some pitch issues, and did the exact version of this song that so many others have previously, so not really showing his individuality. Its ridiculous that he won't fully smile. Way to kill your chances bro. Embrace your braces...
9. Caleb- sounds great, lame song choice. I already forget what he sang. But I do remember Baby Lock them Doors :p I will be fine with his advancing tonight because has been just stellar overall. In certain years, this guy has enough talent to win. Probably not this year though.
10. Alyssa- showing her inexperience by choosing a totally overdone song decently well, sorry but nobody will care. I hope the rules change and she can come back in a few years when she is actually ready to slay...
11. Garrett- 1. Still bitter about Laine not being here, I know its not Garrett's fault. 2. He just doesn't have that strong of a voice to begin with. 3. Shawn Mendes is not a great choice to cover because his voice is so haunting, and Garrett's just isn't. 4. If this guy wasn't a total hunky dreamboat, he'd have gone weeks ago. And he should have...still, somehow I liked it just enough to put him above last place. Sadly, he is probably going to make it over someone in my top 6 above...
12. Amelia- I mean, wretched song choice for her- that jam is so overdone and there is never a way to succeed, she would honestly be better off with anything else. She didn't do THAT bad of a job with it, but I forgot her so quickly.

MY picks for 7 to advance- Ada, Maddie, Mara, Effie, Caleb, Marcio, Jurnee
I could see one of the girls being dumped for hunky Garrett which is just a travesty. Already gnashing my teeth...we already have hunky Jonny and hunky Luke as a judge. We have enough. I miss Thaddeus.

Last edited:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
My rankings for tonight:

My rankings are similar to yours but I think I like Marcio & Effie more than you do:

1. Jurnee - has she made a mis-step yet? If so, I haven't seen or heard it.
2. Marcio
3. Mara
4. Ada
5. Effie
6. Maddie - this song may be a novelty but it was a huge hit for Janis Joplin so don't discount it
7. Shannon
8. Alyssa
9. Amelia

the last 3 are a toss-up - all pretty bad

10. Ron - he's been one of my favorites but this just sounded desperate & off-key to me - what happened to him?
11. Caleb - song choice did nothing for him
12. Garrett - why is he still here? he's not that cute

eta: @haribobo - Ron had some pitch issues? I didn't hear the cool parts you refer to.

Last edited:

taf2002

Susan1

I don't remember Melanie at all but I was around during Janis Joplin's short career & I was always under the impression that she sung Brand New Key. It was a big hit in the early 70's, apparently for Melanie. :duh:

I found a good point in an online argument about this. Janis Joplin died in 1970. Melanie WROTE IT in 1971. So, no. ;)

Edited to add - p.s. - it's probably one of those urban legend thingies. Somebody says it and then somebody repeats it and pretty soon people think it's true. Maybe it's Melanie's sort of gravelly voice? I'm old enough to remember the song on the radio (and knew all the words last night <eek>. I think it would have been too peppy and happy for Janis to have sung.

Which reminds me for some reason, back in the audition days and other times -- these "younger" people go on and say they are singing a song by, I don't know, someone current who did a remake recently. One that always bugs me - A Song for You, I can't even remember who they say it's by. It was a hit by The Carpenters (beautifully), written by Leon Russell (great version too). (I know, who's Leon Russell, huh? ha ha)

Last edited:

BaileyCatts

Ada!! :cheer2: And she looked so much better with the toned down makeup. I really don't like the over the top campy style. Stick with the more subtle style please. :p

Jurnee, Ada, Effie and Maddie better make the cut. :p I don't know who that last guy was, but he's out. Sorry country boy (what's his name?) but Scotty McCreey is much better than you. :p

PeterG

I don't remember Melanie at all but I was around during Janis Joplin's short career & I was always under the impression that she sung Brand New Key. It was a big hit in the early 70's, apparently for Melanie. :duh:

The 50's and 60's (and somewhat into the 70's), many different artists used to record and release the same song at the same time. There's examples of five (or more?) artists in the 1950's who all charted with their release of the exact same song. I couldn't come up with the right wording to get a good result with google. But in more recent times, Trisha Yearwood and LeAnn Rimes both had a hit with "How Do I Love". And soundtrack songs (Frozen's Let It Go and Moana's How Far I'll Go) both had chart success by two different artists. So I wouldn't have been surprised if multiple artists had recorded Brand New Key. :)

One that always bugs me - A Song for You, I can't even remember who they say it's by.

It seems like the young people on these shows most know the song through Donny Hathaway's version. I think Elliott Yamin was the first to mention Hathaway being an idol of his. Hathaway is most known as having hits with Roberta Flack (Where Is The Love, The Closer I Get To You).

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I think they are all over singing tonight, trying to belt it out like Kelly. Not working for me. Oops wrong singing show :blush:

Last edited:

PeterG

I thought tonight was the best night of the season and one of the best nights ever for American Idol. So many strong performances! Numerous people gave their best performance ever, on the night that they most needed to. Some random comments instead of ranking everyone because that would be too hard:

Jurnee, Ada, Amela and Mara were tonight's highlights for me.

I'm okay with Ron and Effie going home, even though Effie's song sounded really good, but I wonder if that's because the background vocalists mikes were turned up as loud as the two lead performers. So it was like a really strong choir instead of one duet.

I think Amelia, Shannon and Alyssa should have stayed and Caleb, Maddie and Garrett should have gone home. Although Alyssa wasn't strong tonight, but I think that's because the song "Yellow" suited for partner more than it did her. I can't imagine that's the kind of music she'd record when/if she someday makes an album. Caleb and Maddie gave their best performances tonight, but I feel they should have gone home based on looking at previous performances and marketability. Although Caleb is their male country star, so that's why he's still here. Garrett was good in a high-level karaoke competition kind of way. Just not equal to so many others he's competing against.

Overall, I'm very happy with the top 14. But I'm disappointed that there's only five weeks left and they're going to be cutting a lot of people quickly:

7.1 Week 1: Top 14 (April 22 and 23)
7.2 Week 2: Top 10 – Disney Night (April 29)
7.3 Week 3: Top 7 (May 6)
7.4 Week 4: Top 5 (May 13)
7.5 Week 5: Finale (May 20 and 21)

That is going to feel really rushed. :(

taf2002

Edited to add - p.s. - it's probably one of those urban legend thingies. Somebody says it and then somebody repeats it and pretty soon people think it's true. Maybe it's Melanie's sort of gravelly voice? I'm old enough to remember the song on the radio (and knew all the words last night <eek>. I think it would have been too peppy and happy for Janis to have sung.

Janis sung the Mercedes-Benz song which is peppy & happy. Brand New Key is more sexual than happy. Btw I knew all the words too.

Melanie writing the song the year after Janis died is a pretty good argument for Janis never singing it. :blush:

Susan1

Janis sung the Mercedes-Benz song which is peppy & happy. Brand New Key is more sexual than happy. Btw I knew all the words too.

Melanie writing the song the year after Janis died is a pretty good argument for Janis never singing it. :blush:

I was a kid. We thought it was about roller skates and having fun. :) la-la-la-la-la............

Janis does laugh at the end of Mercedez-Benz!

moebius

Marcio- this was just lovely, but somehow I found myself wishing for the Jasmine Trias version anyway. Go figure.
Nah, I never did like Jasmine Trias. She robbed LaToya London of 3rd place.

Garrett- 1. Still bitter about Laine not being here, I know its not Garrett's fault. 2. He just doesn't have that strong of a voice to begin with. 3. Shawn Mendes is not a great choice to cover because his voice is so haunting, and Garrett's just isn't. 4. If this guy wasn't a total hunky dreamboat, he'd have gone weeks ago. And he should have...still, somehow I liked it just enough to put him above last place. Sadly, he is probably going to make it over someone in my top 6 above...
Missing Laine:( But I don't know if his voice can handle it week after week. Yeah, he'll end up further than he should be based on his looks. Oh well, I'll hit the mute when he sings and watch him (can't deny that he's a handsome young man :D, more manly than Laine, but I prefer to watch Laine sing.) Nice surprise from his girlfriend to show up. At least Garrett doesn't seem superficial based on his girlfriend. Usually jocks go for the hot chicks, but his girlfriend seems down to earth looking.

I think Amelia should have made it to top 14 over Garrett.

Best solo acts:
1. Maddie (that was a fun song)
2. Mara (nice tone)
3. Ada
4. Marcio
5. Effie (I like her voice, but somehow didn't really fit the song)
6. Jurnee (I would put her higher if this was the first time I heard her sing, but it seems to be the same every time)

Best Duet
1. Ada (loved the harmonies)
2. Amelia
3. Ron

PeterG

I've been meaning to post about some of the people who didn't make it to the top 24 who I thought were worth mentioning.

Britney Holmes singing "Dive" by Ed Sheeran

Holmes is 28, that's the cut-off age for AI, right? I think she was good enough for them to say, "this is our last shot with her, let's give her a shot".

Deonte Baker singing Sam Smith's "Too Good at Goodbyes"

I think he got cut because they had other black male soul singers that they preferred to give a shot to instead. :(

Trevor Holmes Sings "Home" by Phillip Phillips

Holmes is 27, so he has one last chance next year. But I think he was better than a number of those who made the top 24.

And the best person they did not put through:

Harper Grace - Yard Sale

Harper Grace - R.I.P.

Both songs written by Grace. One a (country) rocker and one a heartbreak ballad. So she's versatile as a songwriter AND a singer. Harper not going though made me wonder if Luke is starting a label and wanted him for his label. Both songs are radio-ready. I think the judges chose Gabby Barrett to fill their female country singer spot, so Harper fell by the wayside. :(

TheGirlCanSkate

I had already forgotten Harper Grace, but not her songs! Listening again, I'm really surprised that they went for more gimmicky contestants vs those who have more star staying power. I shouldn't be surprised, but I am anyway.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I had already forgotten Harper Grace, but not her songs! Listening again, I'm really surprised that they went for more gimmicky contestants vs those who have more star staying power. I shouldn't be surprised, but I am anyway.
AI post Season 5 has been mostly about backstory and image. They have a hard time with real musicians. Grace H might have been better off on The Voice or AGT.

BaileyCatts

So I'm sitting at my computer and mostly just listening since my back is to the TV and, uhm ..... everyone has been pretty much terrible. Even the ones I like. :shuffle: Maybe I'm just crabby, but I thought everyone sucked tonight. :p

PeterG

I agree, it was a rough night. The previous episode was SO GOOD and tonight was a let down. Maybe nerves got to people? Generally I thought people chose songs too big for them and pushed their vocals too hard. And maybe some people started in the wrong key?? Basically I felt Gabby was the best of the night and then there's eight empty slots and everyone else tied for 12th, 13th and 14th. But I'll rank everybody so I can comment. :D

1. Gabby Barrett – flawless vocal, but surprised she didn’t change even one note to try to make it her own some.
  2. Caleb – He really stepped up! Chris Stapleton is a great choice, in spite of Luke Bryan saying otherwise. Luke Bryan WISHES he could have the artistic strength of someone like Chris Stapleton.
  3. Michelle – Not a perfect vocal, but a perfect live performance.
  4. Jonny – That was fine.
  5. Michael – Does he not know the song Titanium, or did he completely change the melody of the first verse on purpose? Plus why does he wear such ugly, over-sized clothing every week?
  6. Dennis – The verses sounded a bit off, but the chorus was good.
  7. Jurnee – “Bang Bang” is too big of a song for her.
  8. Ada – The song did not flatter her voice.
  9. Catie – She tried too hard.
  10. Maddie – Ow. Those high notes hurt my ears!
  11. Mara – Was that real emotion, or was that acting? Any song that makes you feel something more than allows you to actually sing the song is too emotional of a choice, so she made a mistake choosing this song. I’m beginning to think she’s a Celine Dion knock-off. Plus does anybody else get confused that the most beautiful and talented student in her school was a social leper? This story doesn’t feel right to me.
  12. Marcio – Marcio, Marcio, Marcio. The ONLY time you pick a Barry Manilow song is when the theme is BARRY MANILOW NIGHT. Plus I’m not sure one note from the song remained as he changed the melody completely. And what’s with the CRAZY EYES???
  13. Cade – Weird vocal. Sounded really affected.
  14. Garrett – Nice playing of the church card. I liked how his introductory sentence included the words “blessed” and “prayers” and “Jesus” and “saved” and “forgiveness”. Hallelujah. Christians may vote for Garrett at the same phone number as sinners.

moebius

Maddie was the best. Worst were Jonny, Catie, and Mara. Catie sang the verse well (probably the best I've heard out of all the Voice/AI contestant versions), but could not handle the chorus.

Gabby's vocal was flawless, but boring. I liked Michelle's performance, though vocally not strong.

Not my fav Ada performance. It was okay. Same with Jurnee.

@Peter G-At least Garrett cleaned up his facial hair just 4U, LOL! Since most of them did not really stepped it up today, he deserve to go to the next round based on looks and the eyebrows (the right one has a mind of its own):D

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
1 Maddie- majestic, creative, not hampered by awful sound mix/background music garbage. PS gorgeous lighting backdrop for this!
2 Ada- wildly impressive, just not my fave song. Love her.
3 Gabby- great job, not particularly interesting but solid.
4 Michelle- this was sort of sloppy but I like her a lot and it had value. I could see her going home tonight due to start order, sad.
5 Jurnee- great rap, everything else sounded thin and out of breath. High level of difficulty though. She has been so stunning, I would def move her on.
6 Cade- he is amazing but this was one of his worst so far, mostly due to sound mix and the fact that the song isn't really a vocal showcase. He should be fine though.
7 Catie- sounded terrific anytime the background cacophany wasn't derailing her. The first time it kicked in, she suddenly sounded super out of tune. Such a hard song to cover, I really hope she continues because she is wicked awesome.
8 Marcio- I was fine with this, actually don't know the song so maybe that's why. I like him, fearing for his chances to go on though.
9 Michael- beautifully sung, super didn't care about it though. And the jumpsuits are annoying. Still, I got mad love for him and his crazy song choices, just not this time...
10 Jonny- so ok look, this was a wildly uneven performance, and nobody should cover Panic because Brendon is a beast. But I liked it. He is another one who got swallowed up by the sound mix. But I think this guy is really special and his previous performance to Vance Joy was so fabulous. Prob going home, which sucks.
11 Mara- she sounded sick, I found it perplexing. She needs to advance so she can sing Reflection on Disney night.
12 Caleb- OMG this was so deathly boring. Still kinda feel like he should keep advancing but he can't keep choosing awful songs...I like him a lot but I'll be fine if he goes.
13 Dennis- WTF even was this? The whole thing was flat and sounded nothing like the song. I find him extremely overrated and just don't care.
14 Garrett- sucks sucks sucks. Has been sucking for weeks. Put him on MTV where he can be handsome and boring, he doesn't need to be on this show taking spots away from Effie and Laine and Thaddeus...

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I agree with @haribobo on the top 4- had them in the exact same order and think the girls have it all over the guys this year.

Dennis and Michael would be next for me, but it's a big drop-off from the first four. Michael was annoying when he would break this serious character about being strong to randomly wave or smile at people in the audience. I'm sure he's nervous, but the believability in his performance went out the window from that.

Cade and Caleb next, kinda just in the middle but nothing special.

The rest were a train wreck and/or not really AI caliber to me. Catie really was a hot mess but I think she will either get the audience vote or surely the judges vote tonight. Marcio was my least favorite even if he was more technically sound than most of the singers above him. Cheesy to the extreme.

PS- I don't get the Garrett love either. I also don't think Jonny is very good.

taf2002

It's funny how all of us hear something different than others. AI is pimping hard for Gabby but I don't think she deserves any kudos for that safe & boring performance. We don't need Miley 2.0. I thought Ada was fantastic but I will never vote for her because I only vote for people whose music I will buy. She needs to be on Broadway, not the radio.

My favorites were Jurnee, Michael, Dennis, Maddie, & Mara, in that order. All the others sounded karaoke or worst. I've thought all along that Michelle didn't have the greatest voice but had the best stage presence but last night she didn't even have that. And I've been liking Marcio but WTF was that?

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Mara – Was that real emotion, or was that acting? Any song that makes you feel something more than allows you to actually sing the song is too emotional of a choice, so she made a mistake choosing this song. I’m beginning to think she’s a Celine Dion knock-off. Plus does anybody else get confused that the most beautiful and talented student in her school was a social leper? This story doesn’t feel right to me.
Mara went fairly far on AGT as a middle schooler, so it wouldn't be a stretch for classmates to think of her as stuck up and too big for herself, depending on how she and her family handled it at the time.

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
Garret was the favorite of my wife and I, so much emotion and faith. So real! So manly, so well dressed the way he presented himself with honor. He remind's me of so many of the brave men I had the privilige of serving in the navy with. I would let him take the top bunk any-day of the week!

The rest were all awful, and also I do not understand what AGT or AI or WTF or PS means so it is very hard to try to read what other's have wrote hear.

love skating

Clueless American
My favorites were Michael and Maddie (I previously was upset that she made the top 14, but she was wonderful). I enjoyed Ada, Jurnee and Gabby. I thought Catie and Caleb did better than usual. Marcio was a disappointment, I could hardly hear him... hope he bounces back cause I did like him before. The rest I didn't care for.

PeterG

I'm okay with Garrett and pouty-face (Marcio) going home. But Jonny has his best performance tonight. I wish he could have stayed and Cade could have gone home (and Cade was my #1 male pick at one time). I would have preferred Mara staying over Maddie, but Mara seems to be an over-rehearsed and over-choreographed factory product. Sounds like she's spent her whole life on stage so she'd had a lack of life experience to bring to her performances.

Glad Jurnee and Dennis were judge's picks, they were 100% the best two of the night.

Overall, I'm happy with the top 10. Just wish they weren't eliminating so many so quickly over the next four weeks. :(

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Tonight (results show songs)- is difficult to rank because so much mess, but I can try...

1. Ada- ooh la la
2. Gabby- she is so fancy and diverse!
3. Mara - one of my fave versions of that song that gets covered 5 times a day on The Voice
4. Dennis- that song is like the hail mary for everyone who can do a nice falsetto. Sounded very nice. He still lacks personality.
5. Catie- aside from the CRAZY background arangement with what seemed like a totally diff song
6. Michael- giving me jackson 5 realness. Goodish.
7. Jurnee- I find that song to be treacle but good job anyway
8. Cade- Did he even perform? I glazed over for this one.
9. Caleb - another hookless boring song....sang well
10. Michelle- her voice grated on me today
11. Jonny- sounded real pretty until the "band" kicked in. Then it was abysmal...
12. Marcio- he has reverted back to a good karaoke singer
13. Maddie- nightmare song choice
14. Garrett- embarrassing

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information