Avanta Boot Labs Slam Karen Chen For Boot Problems

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
This is what she really said:

Http://people.com/sports/winter-olympics-2018-karen-chen-boot-troubles/

I really do believe the response was incredibly disproportionate to what she said and that IG story she posted from before the long program, and I'm still surprised Avanta Boots posted in the first place AND still has it up. I guess having 21 likes and like 3 active supporters who have taken the cause against Karen was worth everything else they are also receiving for posting that ill-conceived rant.

Its too obvious to even be stated that they should have just said nothing. I guess they don't have a reason to care what anyone who is not going to be considering buying boots from them thinks.

AYS

🌻
Remarkably unprofessional!

It's not unusual for a skater to post something like that when they're having equipment problems and she didn't explicitly call out the company as far as I can tell (although I don't see that post up on her IG, was it from an IG story or something?). TBH, if that's indicative of their level professionalism, I'm more inclined to think they effed up with the boots.

Tavi

What she doesn’t say in the article is whether these were new boots she’d just broken in, or old boots whose life she was trying to extend because she didn’t want to change boots before the Olympics (which is what I read/heard somewhere; not sure if it’s true).

If I recall, something similar happened to Nathan at Worlds, except that he clearly stated that the boots had broken down much faster than expected, and that he hadnt wanted to break in new boots before the competition.

In the absence of any explanation from Karen, most people reading People probably assumed the boots had a manufacturing defect. And although she’s not responsible for the headline, it implies that boot issues kept her from earning a medal.

Still not a good response on the part of Avanta.

binbinwinwin

https://twitter.com/sarahbeeysian/status/970920543741362176?s=19

I am in disbelief at this level of unprofessionalism. I'm very sorry Karen has to deal with these people.

Boots are an extremely personal thing, I never once blamed the manufacturer for her issues, I always attributed it to bad luck. There are a multitude of reasons why a skater might have boots issues and it could be something that is not our business as the public.

Debbie S

^^ Exactly. Everyone's feet, and how they bear their weight, are different. I had fit problems with Riedell, GAM, SP-Teri and Jackson before I went to custom Klingbeils. There wasn't anything wrong with the skates or the brand, they just didn't fit me (and in one case, there was a sample defect of sorts with the boots...stock boots...which does happen). I joke with people that I never knew my feet were so weird until I started skating.

VGThuy

https://twitter.com/sarahbeeysian/status/970920543741362176?s=19

I am in disbelief at this level of unprofessionalism. I'm very sorry Karen has to deal with these people.

Boots are an extremely personal thing, I never once blamed the manufacturer for her issues, I always attributed it to bad luck. There are a multitude of reasons why a skater might have boots issues and it could be something that is not our business as the public.

Wait, did Avanta just accidentally post something that was supposed to be from another account? As in they were creating pseuds to support them?

Skittl1321

Their response makes me much more inclined to believe Chen. They sound like a nightmare to deal with.

Agree. I had no idea Karen wore Avantas until seeing this thread.
(And WOW to the sockpuppet response!)

However, is that photo really her blade? The condition looks terrible. Is that typical for an elite skater?

Last edited:
Wow. Double wow. Don't they have PR people on staff to tell them this sort of thing can NEVER make them look good, no matter who is right or wrong? Bad move. So bad.

They’re a small business so doubtful they’d have any professional PR staff. Mind you, I don’t think you need to be a genius to figure out this whole thing was really, really, dumb. It happens fairly frequently with small businesses though. Not everyone can handle social media accounts.

GreatLakesGal

Someone over at the GS forum said this had appeared on Karen's website as recently as Feb 24:

AVANTA Boot Labs, thank you for kindly sponsoring me..
December 30, 2017 by gokarenchenskating
First, I’d like to say that if it were not for AVANTA Boot Labs, I would have quit skating 2 years ago. As many of you may know, I had a series of ill-fitting boots which damaged by feet, and, AVANTA Boot Labs came to the rescue and allowed my skating to continue.
Thank you very much!

AVANTA's reaction to Karen's most current boot complaint sounds very personal to me--i.e., we went to great lengths to help you and this is how you pay us back?!

Obviously not a wise way for the company to react but it sounds to me like someone there was very hurt by her comments.

VGThuy

I think it’s obvious that Karen has had chronic issues with boots that is attributal to her and she even says as much. She never placed the blame on Avanta. Even if you don’t think she should have spoken about having boot issues, that’s a wholly separate issue from how Avanta dealt with this situation and how they are continuing to deal with it, sockpuppets and all.

VGThuy

After reading some of the defenses of Avanta on IG, it’s clear some are using this to vent their anger at Karen’s performance and annoyance at her habit of citing boot issues. If young kids need an illustration that adults can be just extremely immature one can use that IG post and some of the responses as an example.

Bellanca

It’s unfortunate this latest incident of bootgate had to spill out into the public forum the way it has. A personal email between the two parties would have been the desired path to take.

As for the boot company, going after Karen Chen in such a manner … that is someone’s very horrible decision-making that now has the entire company on the defense. Heads would roll, and people would be dismissed in many companies for such unprofessional (and what appears to be) impulsive behavior.

Although not helpful for Karen, Avanta looks worse right now, a lot worse. Imho.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
But, if what they say about her altering their boots after the fact and choosing to wear worn out boots at the Olympics is true... Though that could be good or bad for them (good being that she altered them for no reason and that's why she had issues; bad being the skates were poorly made that they needed alterations to work)

It's normal for skaters to have their boots adjusted by a local skate pro.

Yuzuru and Zhenia use Edeas, which don’t break down as fast as leather boots.

I understand, from skaters here that wear them, that Edeas break down more quickly than more traditional boots. I haven't worn them myself, though.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Avanta's post should never have been posted. :eek: I don't know (or really care) if Chen deserves some blame for the boot issues, or if it's all on Avanta, or if the truth lies somewhere in the middle, but that post was written so unprofessionally and lacking in any finesse whatsoever. It reads like a moderately unhinged rant on FSU (not that I would ever author one of those).

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Avanta's post should never have been posted. :eek: I don't know (or really care) if Chen deserves some blame for the boot issues, or if it's all on Avanta, or if the truth lies somewhere in the middle, but that post was written so unprofessionally and lacking in any finesse whatsoever. It reads like a moderately unhinged rant on FSU (not that I would ever author one of those).
I'm not going to add any substance to the discussion here, but this has me laughing out loud imagining different companies (like, prominent, multinational ones) hiring specific FSU posters to write angry rants to mildly dissatisfied customers.

I'm imagining someone complaining that their McDonald's order had a minor mistake and then getting the full brunt of all ubers, trolls, pseuds, emojis and exclamation points up the wazoo, etc. etc.

This is going to be a new source of amusement/coping strategy for me now. Every time I feel upset or see an example of bad customer service, I'm going to think of ultra uber keyboard warriors deploying their wrath.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I'm imagining someone complaining that their McDonald's order had a minor mistake and then getting the full brunt of all ubers, trolls, pseuds, emojis and exclamation points up the wazoo, etc. etc.

In these situations, I always ask myself, WWTBD?

(obviously, that stands for What Would The Belbins Do?)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Dave Lease mentioned that they were pissed that Karen keeps blaming her problems on her boots because it is making them look bad. They are implying that she's choking.

I just saw this topic in the US ladies thread. I feel bad for the manufacturer.

Karen has made this a deal for years, then its her program-swapping, now she's full circle back to the boots the morning of the Ladies Oly competition. And now wanting us to go to Prayer.

If you're not ready. You're not ready.

Put the cell phone down, reflect on your life, take responsibility for your success and for any failures.

Karen's always been inconsistent. She went through 17 pairs of boots, then 17 programs, then back to the boots and then having them altered by someone else. Take. Responsibility.

vesperholly

:eek: about Charles Sinek. :eek:

karizzmmaHere's some additional information. The previous owner of Avanta, Charles Sinek, is currently incarcerated for distribution of opiate narcotics. Avanta has reorganized as a result. Additionally, all Olympic skates were maintained at the games by one person, an employee of the Jackson boot company. Might there be more going on here?
Quoted the comment on Instagram ... wow indeed.

September 2016: Charles Rainer Sinek convicted of drug trafficking, age 51. https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndny/pr/jury-convicts-california-man-conspiring-distribute-opiates

July 2017: Handra and Sinek welcome a baby, age "48" (?). http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017...ra-sinek-reveling-in-being-first-time-parents

Wonder when he went to prison.

Is this also him? "His older brother, Charles P., 23, also of Pittsford, pleaded guilty to burglary, third degree, in county court Friday in satisfaction on 17 charges. He had been indicted for 14 counts of petit larceny and three counts of burglary, third degree. ... Sinek, who was represented by attorney Verner Inpam, Jr., admitted he had picked the lock to a laundry room door in Congdon Hall at the Clarkson campus and stole money from the laundry machines."

http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn83031769/1989-02-21/ed-1/seq-18.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information