Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Nikolaj Sørensen are released by Denmark to represent Canada

Sylvia

TBD
"Ice dancers Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Nikolaj Sørensen, who have represented Denmark since 2013, will represent Canada in the future. The Danish Skating Union's board decided on Tuesday evening at an extraordinary meeting to back up the wishes of the dancers."
Full statement by the DSU: http://www.danskate.dk/nyheder/isdanserne-flytter-til-canada/

Google translated excerpt:
"We have been very disappointed and sad that we cannot participate in the ultimate competition [Olympics] with the couples we compete with throughout the season at the world's top," says Laurence. It goes without saying that Laurence and Nikolaj change the Danish Skating Union with Skate Canada. Laurence is a Canadian citizen, and the couple lives and trains in Montreal, where they also have their friends and Laurence's family. For both skaters it is very emotional to say goodbye to Dannebrog. Nikolaj is proud of his Viking background and being Danish, and Laurence is very pleased with Denmark and the Danes why she has learned Danish through an online course over the last year. "We are very grateful for the great support we have received in Denmark. Both of the many supporters and the Danish Skating Union, who have supported us all the way, "says Nikolaj.

"In Danish Skøyte Union we have been proud of the young couple who have developed explosively over the last five years, and in fact Denmark put the world map internationally. We are obviously sorry that they are now running under the Canadian flag, but we understand their desire to reach the ultimate goal. Of course, as top athletes who train more than 30 hours a week, they want to get the Olympic experience, "says President Ingelise Blangsted.

The International Skating Union requires a year's quarantine for international competitiveness when one pair changes nationality. Together with the coach team Marie-France Dubreil, Patrice Lauzon and Romain Haguenauer, the couple has chosen to stop all international participation with immediate effect so that they have the opportunity to attend the World Championships next year.

D

Deleted member 40371

Is it a year or two since they competed together for Denmark and this par is not a split.

Sylvia

TBD
Is it a year or two since they competed together for Denmark and this par is not a split.
12 months from the last international competition (see bolded section below).

ISU Rule 109

1. Participation in ISU Championships, ISU Events and International
Competitions
ISU Championships, ISU Events and International Competitions, listed
in Rule 100, paragraph 3, and Rule 107, paragraphs 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10,
11 and 12, may be entered only by Competitors who are members of an
ISU Member. The entry can be made only through that ISU Member. For
participation in Olympic Winter Games and Winter Youth Olympic
Games, Rule 126 respectively the provisions of the Olympic Charter and
its By-Laws apply.
2. a) A Skater may compete only as a member of the ISU Member of a
country of which he is a citizen or in which he has resided for at least one
year.
b) In Pair Skating and Ice Dance only one partner needs to fulfil the
requirements stated in paragraph 2.a). The other partner, however, must
be a citizen or resident of the country of an ISU Member.
c) A Skater who has competed in any ISU Championships, ISU Event
and/or International Competition for any ISU Member and who intends
to compete in the future for another ISU Member needs a permit from the
last ISU Member he previously represented, which permit shall not
unreasonably be denied.
In addition such Skater may compete for the respective ISU Member in
International Competitions, ISU Events and ISU Championships only
after a waiting period of twelve (12) months since the Skater competed
for any other ISU Member in any such competition has elapsed.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I’m sad I never got to wave my Danish flag for them at a competition- I am guessing it will be a while before I see Danes again in any discipline making it to the GP

But I understand this move and I hope they will do well for Canada!

At least Nikolaj can keep his white and red skate guards :p

I’m sad I never got to wave my Danish flag for them at a competition- I am guessing it will be a while before I see Danes again in any discipline making it to the GP

But I understand this move and I hope they will do well for Canada!

At least Nikolaj can keep his white and red skate guards :p

You can still wave a Danish flag for them :) If I had one I would!

Catherine M

Totally understand the decision but it must be bittersweet for them. Looking forward to seeing how they continue to develop.

And so Four Continents in Anaheim could be their first international comp for Canada if they finish top 3 at Canadians (I'm assuming min scores carry over)!?

VGThuy

If they are suddenly going to get better scores by skating for a major country, that's really damning to the legitimacy of the ISU. And I suppose they are.

Honestly, their scores were rising in the same way second-tier team with promise tends to rise. I think a lot of teams in their situation or slightly above all expect to get rising scores after this Olympic cycle in the way that happens in ice dance unless some recent junior-turned senior teams make a huge splash and replace the teams that are retiring after this season.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
If their dream is the Olympics, this is the only way they'll be able to do it. She was never going to be able to get Danish citizenship.
Congrats to them, and thank you to the Danish Fed for making it so easy for them to do this!

I'm VERY excited for Canadian nationals next year!

Twilight1

If they are suddenly going to get better scores by skating for a major country, that's really damning to the legitimacy of the ISU. And I suppose they are.

Unfortunately, political clout matters and Skate Canada has political clout. Add that they are coached by D&L, they are destined to propel forward.

It is how it has always been, especially in ice dance

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
I'm sad that she wasn't able to get Danish citizenship, because I do like when the smaller skating countries have success, but I am so happy for them! It was such a shame that they weren't able to go to the Olympics, so I hope they have great success in Canada!

coppertop1

Hopefully, he will become a Canadian Citizen before 2021-22, considering the history with skaters who have just acquired citizenship making the Canadian Olympic Team.

I would say we are seeing skaters from other countries. We're seeing skaters from Malaysia, the Phillpines, Turkey and more from from Kazakhstan, Israel, Korea, etc. Figure skating is growing

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information