Bellanca

Kaori Sakamoto is the 2018 Four Continents Champion, the 2017 Skate America Silver Medalist and 2017 Japanese National Silver Medalist. Earlier in her career, she won bronze at the 2017 World Junior Championships, bronze at the 2016–17 JGP Final, and gold at the 2016–17 Japan Junior Championships.

One thing that I embrace about the sport of figure skating is when someone like Kaori can basically come out of nowhere, although Japan certainly knew who she was, and chip into the top tier basically overnight. That is a sport at its best!

Kaori is a happy, upbeat, sunny personality and welcoming presence to the senior ranks. Plus, her K&C reactions are some of the best. She is a skater to watch out for and support in the future…

Time for Kaori to have her own cheer thread. Enjoy!

hoptoad

I'm glad you started this thread! :)

The first time I saw Kaori was the Skate America short program, and I just loved her. I can't remember the last time I liked a skater so much at first sight. I remember being wowed at the speed and flow out of her jumps and have just liked her more with each skate.

I was so happy she made the Olympic team. Yay, Kaori! :cheer2:

oleada

She didn’t come out of nowhere. She was the bronze medalist at both the JGPF and JW last year and was the Japanese junior champ :shuffle: how do you think she got GP assignments?

I really enjoy her enthusiasm on the ice - she really seems so happy to be skating. Plus, the huge jumps!:swoon:

Bellanca

She didn’t come out of nowhere. She was the bronze medalist at both the JGPF and JW last year and was the Japanese junior champ :shuffle: how do you think she got GP assignments?
Oy. :rolleyes: :duh: Yes, I know this. Did you read the entire introduction? Do you know what a figure of speech is? She was a sleeper; do you know what that means? It's another figure of speech. :shuffle:

Yes, Kaori's enthusiasm is fantastic, I agree.

Glad you enjoy the thread! :summer:

oleada

I know you copied and pasted it from Wikipedia. Which is fine, but it’s a pet peeve when people say “oh this skater came out nowhere!”. When in actually the skater had been competing very successfully and medalling at the junior level. Hardly out of nowhere :shuffle:

Bellanca

I know you copied and pasted it from Wikipedia. Which is fine, but it’s a pet peeve when people say “oh this skater came out nowhere!”. When in actually the skater had been competing very successfully and medalling at the junior level. Hardly out of nowhere :shuffle:
Can't help you w/ your pet peeve, sorry. Anyhoo, back to Kaori! :cheer2:

skatfan

I'm impressed by her rise this season. She and Zagitova have the momentum at this point. Whether Medvedeva and Satoko can hang on in the midst of their power and consistency is a question for me. The Ladies is going to be interesting!

falling_dance

Coaching Patrick
Well, it certainly wasn't the performance she or her fans were hoping for, but I'm glad that Sakamoto was still able to think on her feet even under the pressure of an Olympic debut. It was also nice to hear her edge quality remarked upon during the NBC broadcast.

Spun Silver

I'm sorry she didn't skate as well as she hoped, but I'm sure it was a valuable warmup for the IE for her. She is a very engaging skater. Lots of luck in the IE, Kaori!

I like her new dress too. Red is definitely the power color of these Olympics!

Bellanca

First appearance on Olympic ice for Kaori was (y). She did a decent job representing Japan today, and I hope she had some fun out there!

Last edited:

ToFarAwayTimes

She skated well. Without rewatching it all, I thought Carolina should have placed below Kaori. Carolina was sloppy multiple times.

Yes I would agree. I have never been a fan of Carolina's skating with the exception of her Ave Maria at Sochi (loved it) so maybe I'm biased, but I thought she should have placed 5th out of 5 in the FS today. Kaori made a couple mistakes but mostly she skated well and I can tell she's a real performer.

This is exactly the type of competition she will be able to build on and get better later in her career.

Dr.Siouxs

Definitely a medal contender given Osmond and Miyahara's inconsistency. Too bad her LP choreography is such a disappointment

clairecloutier

Kaori was my highlight too in a lackluster evening of ladiezzz. I just love her skating skills soooooo much & also her jumps. Her interpretation is so undeveloped but I did think she caught the overall feeling & flow of the music last night. Usually I’m not one to like a skater so much just for jumps, but Kaori is really special in that way. She & Kaetlyn were easily the best all-around skaters last night IMO. (Kaetlyn was objectively better, but I just dislike that Piaf music so much it’s hard for me to enjoy it. :lol:)

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Kaori was my highlight too in a lackluster evening of ladiezzz. I just love her skating skills soooooomuch & also her jumps. Her interpretation is so undeveloped but I did think she caught the overall feeling & flow of the music last night. Usually I’m not one to like a skater so much just for jumps, but Kaori is really special in that way. She & Kaetlyn were easily the best all-around skaters last night IMO. (Kaetlyn was objectively better, but I just dislike that Piaf music so much it’s hard for me to enjoy it. :lol:)
I knew that someday you find Kaori('s outstanding skating skills & jumps). ;) It's fun to follow this girl to mature in front of us (hopefully). She's a talent! And she's a radiant girl as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information