Israeli Skating News

Dobre

I am not sure why her citizenship is such an issue as she most likely would have went to the Olys either way as a single skater or a pairs skater. She is certainly better than Buchanan.

It wouldn't have been enough to be better than Buchanan. Paige would have needed to be much better than Buchanan to qualify for the Olympics as a singles skater. Buchanan is only able to go because Israel qualified in three disciplines. If Paige had not skated pairs, then Israel might not have qualified in three disciplines. Paige would have had to do so in ladies singles. She was only 27th at Junior Worlds & didn't qualify for the free skate there so I think it's clear Paige made the stronger choice for her own future and that of the Israeli team.

Cleo1782

True. I think she made the right choice, but I think Paige can at least pull out a 4 triple program with 2 double axels. Krasnopolski could have found many capable partners with Israeli citizenship in their back pockets. But I actually like them and am rooting for them.

clairecloutier

True. I think she made the right choice, but I think Paige can at least pull out a 4 triple program with 2 double axels. Krasnopolski could have found many capable partners with Israeli citizenship in their back pockets. But I actually like them and am rooting for them.

I’m not sure Krasnopolski would’ve qualified with either of his previous partners, certainly not with Tankova and probably not Cherniavskaya, and if there were so many other partners available, I don’t know as he would’ve gone with someone 12 years younger than himself with no previous pairs experience (that I’m aware of). It’s hard to know all the what-ifs.

Cleo1782

I’m not sure Krasnopolski would’ve qualified with either of his previous partners, certainly not with Tankova and probably not Cherniavskaya, and if there were so many other partners available, I don’t know as he would’ve gone with someone 12 years younger than himself with no previous pairs experience (that I’m aware of). It’s hard to know all the what-ifs.

You are right most likely. I don't think Krasnopolski is that great, but I really like Connors. They impressed me at US Classic (or whatever it's called lol) in Salt Lake this year live so I can only imagine they have improved.

Vagabond

Also, not sure she actually celebrates Christmas, the article just mentions that she visited her grandparents during Christmas time.
The article says she's thinking of getting a peppermint candy pig for her -- not her grandparents' -- house next Christmas.

MsZem

I see the sea
Krasnopolski could have found many capable partners with Israeli citizenship in their back pockets.
I doubt that. There aren't that many Jewish skaters who could potentially skate pairs at the elite level. Also, he's a serial dumper of partners and there's Davidovich as cautionary tale. So far things have worked out well for Conners, but it was certainly a risk.

The article says she's thinking of getting a peppermint candy pig for her -- not her grandparents' -- house next Christmas.
It seems pretty likely that Conners is from an interfaith family. But unless a peppermint candy pig has some religious significance that I'm unaware of, it comes across to me as a sweet (ha!) family tradition, not some grand declaration of faith.

I really don't get why this is an issue. Clearly Conners and Buchanan qualify for Israeli citizenship. I'm sure if there were a way to get Tkachenko citizenship, it would have been done.

RoseRed

I'm not sure it matters if she celebrates Christmas though. Lots of people who celebrate Christmas aren't Christian. I have Muslim friends who do.

Cleo1782

I doubt that. There aren't that many Jewish skaters who could potentially skate pairs at the elite level. Also, he's a serial dumper of partners and there's Davidovich as cautionary tale. So far things have worked out well for Conners, but it was certainly a risk.

It seems pretty likely that Conners is from an interfaith family. But unless a peppermint candy pig has some religious significance that I'm unaware of, it comes across to me as a sweet (ha!) family tradition, not some grand declaration of faith.

I really don't get why this is an issue. Clearly Conners and Buchanan qualify for Israeli citizenship. I'm sure if there were a way to get Tkachenko citizenship, it would have been done.

I really don't care about Conners religion. I do think the girl is a talent regardless of her faith. Davidovich is a cautionary tale, but at the same time she went to the Olympics and really wasn't internationally competitive with Reiss. I have personally observed Krasnopolski being a not so nice person at a hotel, but I can't just judge him on that....

hanca

Values her privacy
I really don't care about Conners religion. I do think the girl is a talent regardless of her faith. Davidovich is a cautionary tale, but at the same time she went to the Olympics and really wasn't internationally competitive with Reiss. I have personally observed Krasnopolski being a not so nice person at a hotel, but I can't just judge him on that....
I hope in a year or two, after she learns everything she needs, she will dump him. Is there any tall guy in Russia who would want to skate for Israel? The only problem is Conners height, she is quite tall so that may limit the number of available partners in the future.

Sylvia

TBD
David Birinberg qualified for 2018 Canadian Nationals in Junior Men this year and finished 14th of 18.

ETA: I personally don't have a problem with skaters who switch to ISR (or any other country) in order to get opportunities to compete internationally. It's the federation (or Boris Chait in this case) who has final approval after all.

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
David Birinberg qualified for 2018 Canadian Nationals in Junior Men this year and finished 14th of 18.

ETA: I personally don't have a problem with skaters who switch to ISR (or any other country) in order to get opportunities to compete internationally. It's the federation (or Boris Chait in this case) who has final approval after all.
I do when it's for Israel. Especially when there are local skaters who are almost equally bad.

MsZem

I see the sea
I don't blame the skaters. I do feel that the federation needs to do more to develop the sport in Israel and not insist that Galit is the answer for everyone. And Boris Chait should not be bitching about Ivetta Berkovich's technical deficiencies on TV, especially when she is clearly better than whatever younger ladies Galit has.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Ottawa, Ontario's David Birinberg will be Israel's 2nd men's entry at Junior Worlds next month alongside Richmond Hill, Ontario's Mark Gorodnitsky (22nd, 2017).
David Birinberg has possible the voidiest program I've seen in any discipline, junior or senior, this year. It seems unlikely that he'll qualify for the FP at Junior Worlds, but I hope he does.

reut

Last edited:

leigh466

That is just an awful shame. I enjoyed that team and was amazed at how good they looked with such a short time together. They really looked like they could become quite good.

hanca

Values her privacy
Of course he is.

At least Paige Conners got a trip to the Olympics out of it.
There are Russian male partners available. I can’t comment on whether they have some Jewish grandmothers or whether they would be able to get citizenship, but at least going to GP events, Europeans and worlds would be possible. Conners is tall for a pairs lady, what about Bobrov? He is very tall, and he just aged out from juniors. His current partner is unlikely going to stay with him because she is very young and won’t be senior eligible yet, so they wouldn’t be able to compete.

RoseRed

There are Russian male partners available. I can’t comment on whether they have some Jewish grandmothers or whether they would be able to get citizenship, but at least going to GP events, Europeans and worlds would be possible. Conners is tall for a pairs lady, what about Bobrov? He is very tall, and he just aged out from juniors. His current partner is unlikely going to stay with him because she is very young and won’t be senior eligible yet, so they wouldn’t be able to compete.
She probably wouldn't want to move to Europe though. Would any of them be likely to relocate to the US?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information