Adam speaks his mind on US leader chosen for the Oympic delegation

Sylvia

TBD
When is the Oly freestyle skiing team announced? Maybe Gus Kenworthy will take some of the heat off Adam for quotes at that point....
Kenworthy can qualify for freeski halfpipe and/or slopestyle at Mammoth Mountain this week: http://nbc4i.com/2018/01/17/who-can-qualify-for-the-u-s-olympic-freeski-team-this-week-at-mammoth/

2 recent articles on Kenworthy:
Coming out changes the game for Olympian Gus Kenworthy (by Eddie Pells of the Associated Press)

Since coming out, freestyle skier Gus Kenworthy has taken off: https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...14dd3e-f47b-11e7-a9e3-ab18ce41436a_story.html

Last edited:

Tavi

I’m a little confused here. Adam is not / will not be the only out gay athlete competing at the Winter Olympics (according to Outsports, 23 LGBT athletes competed at the Summer Olympics in London 2012 and 56 competed in Rio 2016).

Eric Radford (Canadian FS team silver medal in Sochi) wasn’t out in Sochi, but he came out in December 2014 and will represent Canada in Korea.

Gus Kenworthy (US individual silver medal freestyle skiing in Sochi) wasn’t out in Sochi, but he came out in October 2015 and is expected to represent the US in Korea.

Adam also came out in October 2015.

Is it that he’s the first out male US figure skater? The only first time Olympian of the three? Or that he made his team a few days before Eric made his?

I’m honestly kind of mystified.

VGThuy

It's a mix of all three. The NPR article says he's the U.S.'s first openly gay man to qualify for the Olympics. I guess U.S. Nationals team announcement came before the other openly gay athletes' team announcements. I still think it's sort of a bold statement because we don't know how many of the hundreds of U.S. male athletes who may have qualified for the Olympics for the U.S. were out but not famous or public figures so nobody other than people who knew them knew about it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...openly-gay-man-to-qualify-for-winter-olympics

Luger John Fennell would have beaten him had he qualified this past December.

OT: During Adam's Reddit Ask Me Anything, Fennell asked Adam out.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
It would be nice if they asked Adam about his skating once and awhile. :rolleyes:
Well, there also was that Washington Post headline that read "Adam Rippon becomes oldest U.S. figure-skating Olympic rookie since 1936" :D

L.A. Times columnist Helene Elliott interviewed Adam at his rink after Nationals and wrote about his personal journey in skating as well as his coming out: http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-olympics-rippon-elliott-20180110-story.html

Associated Press' Janie McCauley wrote about Adam's challenges in skating and only mentions his coming out near the end (original article was updated after he placed 2nd in his Nationals SP): https://wintergames.ap.org/article/foot-broken-not-his-dreams-adam-rippon-chases-olympics

Fiero425

I don't understand all the drama concerning Adam; did we forget Johnny Weir altogether? He had a video crew following him around for months producing that series on Sundance years ago; "Be Good Johnny Weir!" He led the way at Olympics in Torino being 2nd behind Plushenko after the SP! I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone sometimes! :rolleyes: :wall: :puppet: :respec: :plush:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I don't understand all the drama concerning Adam; did we forget Johnny Weir altogether? He had a video crew following him around for months producing that series on Sundance years ago; "Be Good Johnny Weir!" He led the way at Olympics in Torino being 2nd behind Plushenko after the SP! I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone sometimes! :rolleyes: :wall: :puppet: :respec: :plush:

You are in the Twilight Zone if you don't remember that Weir didn't come out until 2011 - well after the Torino Olympics, and after the Vancouver Olympics too.

Fiero425

He shouldn’t even be going to the Olympics. He is a loser. 4th place quadless journeyman. Should be ross Miner .

It's happened before and it'll happen again; the injustice of "the system!" I understand where they're coming from having to do with past results and experience, but sometimes I wonder why bother even holding Nat'ls if this happens again and again? :rolleyes: :duh: :kickass: :plush: :puppet: :revenge:

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
"Traditional" doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. There are some traditions worth upholding - like, say, the President of the US doing a community service activity on Martin Luther King Day. And there are some traditions that are worth challenging because of the views and actions of the people involved.
Wait, what?? Trump did community service on MLK Day???
Speaking out is anyone's right, just like it is the right of "listeners" to make a judgement what motivates one to speak out and how effective it is. The fact that Pence, back in the days of King Solomon, spoke about "gay therapy" is not an issue to day for Gays in USA and western societies. "Gay therapy" issues back then were, in some lame way an attempt to "help them", because of prejudice and lack of knowledge. There are countries where Gays are killed, jailed and the said therapy is an active issue. If one really cares, one should be consistent in terms of agenda he/she pursues, and concentrate on the areas where help and intervention is critical.
Gay people ARE still killed in this country. . . It's just that being LGBT is (in most areas) not against the law or a lawful reason to discriminate (yes, there are still laws on the books in some states that say that discrimination in housing, for example, is OK). And yes, "gay conversion" therapy is most certainly still being practiced by some, mostly very conservative religious types. Mainstream psychology/psychiatry showed the harm and ineffectiveness of this 'therapy' ages and ages ago, but many super-conservative types still believe homosexuality is evil and must be beaten out of people (or some such).

They also have the largest number of suicide rates in the country, especially if one is a trans youth of color.
LGBTQ youth are also more likely to be homeless (up to 40% of homeless youth identify as LGBTQ). Because kids are still being thrown out by their families and rejected by their communities, just for being LGBTQ.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@LilJen No, Trump played golf on MLK Day. So there is a huge irony in calling out Adam for not respecting the "tradition" of the VP as the head of the Olympic delegation, while turning a blind eye to all the "traditions" being broken left right and center by the current Administration.

William

Of course Adam should speak out when asked. It just bugs me that the media keeps trying to bait him into saying something controversial. He’s doing a brilliant job of handling it but it seems s shame that in this day in age any athlete should have to deal with this.
I so agree with you. The article makes it seem quite clear that he was baited. He is handling it thoughtfully and yet still making his view clear. He shouldn't have to address this kind of nonsense and should be able to focus simply on his preparation for the games to allow the best performance he is capable of delivering. These kinds of issues are just distractions for athletes that they simply do not need... especially a few sort weeks out from the games. His maturity and strength is impressive. I hope he has a fantastic games. William

Sylvia

TBD
Adam recently replied to Alexa Scimeca Knierim's tweet on the topic of being mocked for expressing her faith publicly (not linking to the Twitter chain because there are some hateful tweets there):

[Adam:] "You embody the parts of religion that I love. You treat others with kindness, compassion, and are always grateful for the people and things in your life. You are also a very great friend to all those in your life. Keep being you, plzzzzz [heart emoji]"

Clutz

Banned Member
I don't understand all the drama concerning Adam; did we forget Johnny Weir altogether?

Did Johnny Weir really need to say he was gay??? I mean come on people. And does anyone really need to hear/know who someone wants to have sex with. Yuck! Straight or gay keep it in the bedroom.

Frankly Eric Radford is far more deserving of Gay Hero status because he acts with dignity and maturity. Adam acts like a 12 year old girl.

And it's funny how intolerant all these crusaders for tolerance are.

Japanfan

I too say "good for you, Adam".

SFAIK, figure skaters are told to shut the **** up when it comes to the politics of the Olympic Games and just focus on their skating. If they are not told this explicitly, I believe it is generally understood.

It took courage for Adam to come out publicly, and to speak out now. And I agree with him that Pence is a terrible choice to lead the US delegation - because of his anti-women views as well as his anti-gay views, not to mention that he's VP to a President who is a bumbling fool and rather incompetent.

US Olympic athletes deserve better than Pence IMO.

caseyedwards

Adam recently replied to Alexa Scimeca Knierim's tweet on the topic of being mocked for expressing her faith publicly (not linking to the Twitter chain because there are some hateful tweets there):

[Adam:] "You embody the parts of religion that I love. You treat others with kindness, compassion, and are always grateful for the people and things in your life. You are also a very great friend to all those in your life. Keep being you, plzzzzz [heart emoji]"
And by boycotting any meetings with pence or anyone he disagrees with he’s being really awful unchristian

Japanfan

I quoted the part of the USA Today article. He is judging pence’s Christianity.

But that doesn't show Adam to be an extreme expert on Christianity, which is what you said - unless I misunderstood you?

One need not be an expert on Christianity to find Pence's views toward women and gays offensive, or his use of Christianity to defend those views.

caseyedwards

But that doesn't show Adam to be an extreme expert on Christianity, which is what you said - unless I misunderstood you?

One need not be an expert on Christianity to find Pence's views toward women and gays offensive, or his use of Christianity to defend those views.

Rippon is saying that a person who thinks they are Christian (pence) is wrong about what Christianity is and that they are not really Christian. why doesnt he try to be a good Christian or use Christian teachings toward that person instead of boycotting and shunning them? Shunning definitely isn’t Christian. Rippon seems to be a shunner.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Did Johnny Weir really need to say he was gay???

Apparently, yes, he did, since he revealed it in his book and talked about it when he was promoting the book.

And it's funny how intolerant all these crusaders for tolerance are.

I have absolutely no problem being intolerant of those who think it's OK to be discriminatory and hateful. By your logic Rosa Parks should have shut up and gone to the back of the bus, and Dr. King should have told his parishioners to be glad that all those nice white people were employing them as maids and cleaners :rolleyes:

Clutz

Banned Member
Apparently, yes, he did, since he revealed it in his book and talked about it when he was promoting the book.

I have absolutely no problem being intolerant of those who think it's OK to be discriminatory and hateful. By your logic Rosa Parks should have shut up and gone to the back of the bus, and Dr. King should have told his parishioners to be glad that all those nice white people were employing them as maids and cleaners :rolleyes:

Wow....you should apply for a job with CNN with the way you completely make up information and correlations that had absolutely no connection to what was said.

Bonita

I'm an atheist and I wish Ross was picked, but this quote is everything. I have two sister-in-laws whom I love dearly. One is Catholic, the other Christian Science. I respect their beliefs which are based in love. Pence I feel is based in hate. And Trump is insane. True religion is based on kindness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information