Spanish skating news

aftershocks

Banned Member
Is is true that the ISU put out a message that Javi was suffering from stomach problems??? If true, I would find that all kinds of problematic. First of all, since when does the ISU put out those types of messages on behalf of a skater? If Javi was unhealthy, then he should have withdrawn from the competition rather than go out there and lay an egg in the fp.

I love Javi's personality, and he has improved as a skater under Brian Orser's tutelage, but his PCS scores have always been overcooked to the point where everyone takes it for granted he deserves such overly high scores routinely, especially on CO and IN. OTOH, with his experience and the level of skill that he does possess, Javi should have won this one going away, but something looked off for him even in the sp. I'm sure it was difficult for him with Brian O not being there. It was also reported that Javi had visa problems and almost missed his flight through his own fault of not planning ahead. I mean come on now, surely things can happen, but in an Olympic season on the GP, is it too much to ask to be prepared for traveling? If you aren't feeling well and don't want to be there without your primary coach, then don't go. It's not as if Javi has a battle at home to be able to make the Olympic team. While the GPF might be important to make during an Olympic season, it's not exactly the end of the world not to make it to the GPF. (ETA: OTOH, I would have to acknowledge that Javi might have felt pressure to perform because the ISU would like his star power to be present at the GPF in Nagoya).

Skate Canada is wise to have Patrick pull out of his final GP in order to focus on whipping himself into shape to help Canada try and win Olympic gold in the team event.

All things being equal and copasetic, obviously it's still possible for Javi to do well in his final GP event in France. He's the biggest name at that event as well: http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03108242.htm
And so it should be a slam dunk, just as CoC should have been a slam dunk, or at least a podium slam dunk, if not an outright win.

Definitely ice is slippery, but it seems to me that the big guns in mens figure skating are quite distracted with looking back over their shoulders these days to the newer up-and-coming quadsters. Or succumbing to popped jumps, stomach problems, pining for the good old days, and visa forgetfulness. And yet, there is still time and opportunity for Javi to set things straight and ultimately come out on top at the Olympics. I'm just not gonna be betting on anything this season, except for unpredictability amidst ISU efforts to try and keep the scoring mess largely status quo business as usual. Oops ...

Last edited:

SCeline

I think the decision to compete whether/while ill must be such a difficult and very individual decision. I recall times where athletes have gone as far as "doing the 6 minute warm-up" before deciding they just could not 'stomach' performing. The stakes are obviously super high this season and I don't blame Javi for a moment, given he knew a Grand Prix Final opportunity was (and arguably still is technically) on the line. 2 years ago, Alex Shibutani skated while sick as a dog from food poisoning at the Grand Prix final. He apparently could barely move during the warm up, but managed to summon all he had and gut it out. The audience, not aware he was sick, gave them a standing ovation. As a fan, I have only empathy for skaters traveling the world, with so few and select opportunities to truly compete at relevant competitions. Wishing him good health through the balance of his travels and competition season.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Well, in Javi's case, it didn't seem to be such a good idea. Everyone has to make that decision for themselves. It's not the same for everyone. And sometimes it's maybe not such a good idea, as it could worsen the health or injury situation. For example, Hanyu's famous decision to continue competing after slamming heads with Han Yan during warm-up at a GP a few years ago. I understand the determination and fighting spirit, but it's not something that should be lauded necessarily as heroic across the board. I think it was dangerous for Hanyu due to the head trauma, and he was risking further injury.

At CoC, with the decision made by Javi to try and compete, perhaps he should have scaled back a bit on his planned tech in order to steel himself mentally toward knowing he wouldn't have to exert as much energy as he would under more normal healthy conditions. Why not cut back to two planned quads, and triple double combos, some solo 3s, one 3-axel and a double axel, and hope that his usually high PCS would see him through to a decent score, especially if he could skate relatively cleanly with a scaled back program. To go out there ill and try to complete his normal high level difficulty with all the nuances of his choreo was a big ask.

I was also wondering if it's true that the ISU put out the message about Javi being ill, and whether that wouldn't normally be an announcement made by Javi's fed rather than the ISU? Was it more important for the ISU to make an official announcement to the press due to Javi's star status?

Sylvia

TBD
Spanish news article: http://www.hieloespanol.es/1/javier..._adios_a_la_final_del_grand_prix_2882481.html
Según comentó nada más terminar, compitió con problemas estomacales, motivo por el que se ha sentido debilitado en este campeonato y por el que mañana no estará presente en la gala de exhibición.

[Google translation]: According to he said as soon as he finished, he competed with stomach problems, which is why he felt weakened in this championship and for which tomorrow he will not be present at the exhibition gala.
It would not be unusual for the ISU to have put out a notice that Fernandez's illness would prevent him from performing in the gala, had he been invited.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Yes, then that makes sense as the announcement is related to Javi's expected participation in the gala. And so overall, there's a connection to his longtime status as one of the top stars in the men's division. Another reason why Javi may have felt pressure to skate no matter how poorly he felt, particularly with the GPF coming up in an Olympic season, and the ISU hoping to have the big guns there.

sammyf

Does anyone know if Kirill and Olivia got their exception that they could compete at the games since they both skated for other countries too close to this games?

Carina

Does anyone know if Kirill and Olivia got their exception that they could compete at the games since they both skated for other countries too close to this games?
Yes, both of have got Spanish citizenship.

Dobre

Sara and Kirill got 67.14 at Zagreb :respec:

Yes, they did. Thwack! That's a very sweet score in a deep field. Bested Hawayek & Baker, Zagorski & Guerreiro, etc. in the short.

One program at a time, guys.

Yes, both of have got Spanish citizenship.

They don't just need citizenship, though. They need an exemption from the rule about not being able to compete at the Olympics if you have competed for another country within the past 3 years. (So do Smart & Diaz). I don't think we've heard.

SamuraiK

Its the final decission based on the sum of Golden Spin + National points, or is there any other criteria??

Sylvia

TBD
Its the final decission based on the sum of Golden Spin + National points, or is there any other criteria??
This fed. article states the Olympic spots "will be decided by adding the score obtained in the Golden Spin and in the Spanish Championship": http://www.fedhielo.com/importante-olimpismo-espanol/

2017 Golden Spin results/total scores:

4 Sara HURTADO / Kirill KHALIAVIN ESP 163.58 3 4
5 Olivia SMART / Adria DIAZ ESP 159.40 5 5

11 Felipe MONTOYA ESP 193.09 11 11
15 Javier RAYA ESP 166.48 13 15

Seerek

Raya making up 26+ marks in Spanish nationals doesn't appear likely, especially given that Montoya's been pretty consistent this season (here and at Andorra Open last month).

Elka

They don't just need citizenship, though. They need an exemption from the rule about not being able to compete at the Olympics if you have competed for another country within the past 3 years. (So do Smart & Diaz). I don't think we've heard.
Is there an answer to this interesting question?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
No word or clarification from the Spanish Fed or the skaters so far, nor a caveat in the Spanish Fed article linked above that this is even a consideration for Olympic selection.

AnaBM

Well, if I'm counting properly, so far S/D have the upper hand, with a little bit more of 229 points. H/K currently have 227.79, so they need to make up for that in the FD :watch::watch:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Word is that British and Russian skating federations agreed to release Olivia & Kirill to represent Spain (with their respective partners)

This was a key factor for them before they even started the process of getting spanish citizenship that they got recently by obtaining their passports.

So they both are eligible to compete at the olympics, thing that Kirill got today after finishing 1st under the qualification process Spanish Federation set for Ice Dancing

RoseRed

Word is that British and Russian skating federations agreed to release Olivia & Kirill to represent Spain (with their respective partners)

This was a key factor for them before they even started the process of getting spanish citizenship that they got recently by obtaining their passports.

So they both are eligible to compete at the olympics, thing that Kirill got today after finishing 1st under the qualification process Spanish Federation set for Ice Dancing

Well separate from being released by their old feds and getting their passports, Kirill needs (and Olivia would have too) an exception from the IOC because there is a rule that you can't have competed for another country at a major event (not how they word it in the rule) within 3 years of the Games. Kirill competed for Russia in March 2018 at Worlds.

Now, I assume that it's happened since we've heard nothing about it, or perhaps the rule was changed recently, and I'm sure the ISU and the respective skating federations being okay with it would be helpful to get the exception, but it was a separate issue from the passport and the release.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Spanish citizenship isn't the only requirement for Smart or Khaliavin to compete at the Olympics: according to the IOC charter:
Byelaw to rule 6:
An Olympiad is a period of four consecutive calendar years, beginning on 1 January of the first year and ending on 31 December of the fourth year
Which means the Sochi Olympiad began on 1 January 2014, and the Pyeongchang Olympiad begins on 1 January 2018.

Byelaw to rule 41 (emphasis mine):
A competitor who is a national of two or more countries at the same time may represent either one of them, as he may elect. However, after having represented one country in the Olympic Games, in continental or regional games or in world or regional championships recognised by the relevant IF, he may not represent another country unless he meets the conditions set forth in paragraph 2 below that apply to persons who have changed their nationality or acquired a new nationality.

2. A competitor who has represented one country in the Olympic Games, in continental or regional games or in world or regional championships recognised by the relevant IF, and who has changed his nationality or acquired a new nationality, may participate in the Olympic Games to represent his new country provided that at least three years have passed since the competitor last represented his former country. This period may be reduced or even cancelled, with the agreement of the NOCs and IF concerned, by the IOC Executive Board, which takes into account the circumstances of each case.
So depending on the IOC's definition of a year,

Smart last represented Great Britain at World Juniors 2015 (with Joseph Buckland) in the FD on 7 March 2015, and Khaliavin last represented Russia at Worlds 2015 (with Ksenia Monko) in the FD on 27 March 2015.

If a rolling year, since the OWG begin in February 2018, the three-year mark would be 7 March 2018 for Smart and 27 March 2018 for Khaliavin, which means either would need the agreement of the Spanish Olympic Committee and ISU with the action by the IOC Executive Board to reduce or cancel the three-year period.

If Olympiad year, the three-year mark would be 1 January 2015 for each, and they would need Spanish Fed, ISU, and IOC involvement to reduce the three-year period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information