The Shibutanis Thread 4: Ready for Paradise

VGThuy

Awesome! Dissecting the Shibs’ performances just won’t be the same without you ;)

I don’t know if you did this on purpose but good job on not letting your honeymoon interfere with Olympic season :lol:

The skating season was influential, but it was more real world stuff that we had to schedule. You guys know I couldn't let Skate America happen without being a part of this forum.

VGThuy

I don't know if you guys noticed that I've been posting a lot more on FSU the past few months than I did before. FSU sort of became a real stress reliever for me even when the debates and skating itself was stressing me out, so maybe that's why I compartmentalize skating as something other from my real life.

Mrs. P

This past weekend was the first weekend where I really got to goof off and post and watch skating videos in some time (and I'm still playing catch-up) and it was really fun, so I feel you VGT.

lauravvv

Congratulations, VIETgrlTerifa :)! I am sincerely glad for you. But also glad that we will have you here on the forum during this skating season. I always enjoy reading your posts, even when I don't agree with you (which is not that often), as they (your posts) are always constructive and never negative and/or offensive to skaters or other posters, and they never cause bad feelings or negative strife. So, thank you once again for being with us.

Spun Silver

I don't know if you guys noticed that I've been posting a lot more on FSU the past few months than I did before. FSU sort of became a real stress reliever for me even when the debates and skating itself was stressing me out, so maybe that's why I compartmentalize skating as something other from my real life.
It’s the same for me so I was just kidding. It’s a break from work now. Even after my husband’s brain injury I was here regularly. And yet... there is a point where our passions are inseparable from our “real” life!

MRani

Mrs. P

So apparently Shibutani fans = K-pop fans = BTS fans.

Alex had tweeted about the American Music Awards' performance of K-Pop boy band BTS (who apparently are killing it internationally right now) and then gave shoutouts to the fan base (including asking how to join). The Shibs got SO much more love for that.

Maia gave a supportive tweet too!

This is like a level up from when they posted a photo with Eric Nam, lol.

I love the Shibs for supporting the interest of their fans though. :) OMG, I think Twitter would be broken if they somehow met at the Olympics.

Here's the AMA performance if you're curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNtcYIo6N04

I'm not a hard core BTS fan (though I totally respect the impact they're having on K-pop's visibility and like a few of their songs), but I love seeing how the Shibs are embracing an interest held by many of their fans (including yours truly).

This is actually my current K-pop jam, if any of you care: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uJf2IT2Zh8 :)

ETA: Also, there's a sibling K-pop group (brother/sister) call Akdong Musician that is really quirky and I always think of the Shibs, cause like them, this group totally embraces their relationship and style and not try to do what other K-pop bands do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oz7DG76ibY

Last edited:

VGThuy

No, that was BGA (Boys Generally Asian), which is more of a spoof on K-Pop groups consisting of Asian-American YouTube media people (comedians and musicians mainly) and Justin Chon who is an actor who's done some feature films and shows. BTS is a real K-Pop group with a huge following.

MRani

The BTS fan base seems super sweet and it’s really cute how excited they’ve been to include Alex in their fandom. I don’t think the Shibs say or do anything without meaning it, so I’m sure Alex is a genuine BTS/Kpop fan, but what a smart way this is to build a bridge between figure skating and Korean fans in a year in which the Olympics will be held in Korea. I’m sure this exchange will have endeared the Shibs to a lot of Korean skating fans who also happen to be Kpop fans (I imagine the overlap between these 2 worlds will be quite high Korea!).

Mrs. P

Quite a few skaters like K-Pop. Evgenia Medvedeva is a huge fan of another boy band, EXO; Misha Ge loves K-Pop and even did an audition with one of the K-pop talent scouting shows (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFQ8LbRCpmA). Courtney Hicks loves K-Pop too...I believe she is a bonafide #BTSArmy member. :)

MRani

I tried listening to Kpop a few times but I’m not a fan of EDM/autotune-heavy music so I think I just didn’t manage to find anything to my taste and tbh I didn’t try very hard either after not liking the first 2 random songs I found :lol:

I’m sure there is Kpop music out there that I would like. Maybe it’s time to try again :shuffle:

I’ve watched K-dramas though! And read Korean manhwas. So I have a high appreciation for other forms of Korean entertainment. :D

MRani

Hey, wouldn’t it make an awesome skit idea for the YT channel though? The Great Turkey Sabotage of Skate America 2017 (I’m sure they could come up with a way better and more concise title)

It’s too bad there isn’t time to do something like that during a competition though.

VGThuy

Dostatni is the caller for Skate America. I don’t expect level 4s for the Shibs’ step sequences there. Maybe he’ll give them a level 2 or a few because he has something to say.

Mrs. P

Do we know what Dostani's m.o. is? Like why he seems to lowball the Shibs?

I'm hoping they will be so clear that he can't get away with much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information