Facebook question

Alexa5

I know this group has had some active facebook update discussions in the past, so hoping someone can let me know the answer to this one...

Did Facebook just make a change that you can't view public pages without logging in? I don't have a facebook account, purposely, and just view pages that are public, such as for schools, businesses, etc. Today when I try to view those pages it says I have to log in.... it happened with 3 unrelated types of sites that I have been viewing just fine in the past.

Just curious if there was a change, and if so, this will be really bad for places that relied on facebook to get their information out.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I just tested. I logged out of Facebook and was able to access an author's page and Entertainment Weekly's page. This is on a computer, though. I haven't tried on a tablet or phone. Could those pages you want to access have gone to private?

Alexa5

It appears to be a Google Chrome issue perhaps? As that is the browser I normally use, and am having the problem there with every public site, but just went into IE, and didn't have the issue. Interesting....

Artemis@BC

^ I just tried in Chrome, logged out then went to CBC's FB page. No problem there for me.

How are you accessing the sites? I notice that the FB search bar disappears when you're not logged in, but you can still get to different pages have them bookmarked, or go in by googling them.

Alexa5

These are sites I have bookmarked and go to almost daily, so it is just an all of the sudden thing. I did it both by using my bookmarks and by googling, and both ways wanted me to log in to continue. I tested with other random fb sites that I go to occasionally that are businesses, etc (googled those). All of them ask me to log in as well.

It is fine in IE. I am not sure why it is occurring, but in the meantime I can just use IE for those sites, and Chrome for the rest.

Alexa5

I just wanted to update it is fine now...must have been some glitch on that given day for me. Thanks for the responses and help.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I discovered today that someone tried to log into my facebook at 5:45 am this morning- facebook sent me an email about it. I knew for sure it wasn't me because I know exactly what I was doing at that time. So I followed their directions and changed the password, to get it reopened. I was happy that facebook had locked my account until I reset the password.

However, now I am wondering if that email really was from facebook? I typically receive those emails from them every time I access my facebook page from my work computer. So I didn't question it. In this case all I had to do was to click on the facebook link in that email and change my password to get it reopened.

Does this sound odd to anyone?

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Does this sound odd to anyone?

Yes.

If I were you, I would go to my Facebook page directly and change the password again--and I would be sure that the password I had used before wasn't in use anywhere else.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
If you go into Facebook on a computer, click on the triangle next to the help button and click on Security and Login on the left hand side. It will show you your login history and you can see the devices that have accessed your account and where they are from. You can also logout devices if you don't think they are you.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Also, be careful with opening just any e-mail even if it appears to be from Facebook. I've never had an e-mail from Facebook before. If I should ever receive one, it would appear in my junk mail.

@Vash01, be sure and put your curser over the address showing from where it's received from and don't click on it. Your curser will reveal the real e-mail address. If it's different from something like "[email protected]" and shows up as "someone@FunPharmacy" (just an example), don't open the e-mail whatsoever. Just delete the e-mail out of your junk file because it more than likely will contain some type of virus.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Also, be careful with opening just any e-mail even if it appears to be from Facebook. I've never had an e-mail from Facebook before. If I should ever receive one, it would appear in my junk mail.

@Vash01, be sure and put your curser over the address showing from where it's received from and don't click on it. Your curser will reveal the real e-mail address. If it's different from something like "[email protected]" and shows up as "someone@FunPharmacy" (just an example), don't open the e-mail whatsoever. Just delete the e-mail out of your junk file because it more than likely will contain some type of virus.

I checked as per your suggestion. That email came from [email protected]

It sounds authentic but it may not be. So I went to my Facebook page and changed the password again, I locked all the other devices. I hope this takes care of the issue.

Debbie S

Generally, you never want to click through to any site that requires a login (social media, banks, credit cards, etc) via a link in an e-mail. Go directly to that site to log in. An exception might be if you change your login info and then get an e-mail from that site asking you to click through to validate the change.

Many scammers send e-mails that look and sound like they're from the co and the link may take you to a site that looks like your bank's or whoever's website, but the URL is different, and any info you enter helps a scammer get access to your accounts and personal info.

Susan1

Generally, you never want to click through to any site that requires a login (social media, banks, credit cards, etc) via a link in an e-mail. Go directly to that site to log in. An exception might be if you change your login info and then get an e-mail from that site asking you to click through to validate the change.

Many scammers send e-mails that look and sound like they're from the co and the link may take you to a site that looks like your bank's or whoever's website, but the URL is different, and any info you enter helps a scammer get access to your accounts and personal info.

Twice I've had them "from" Chase Bank. They gave me an abuse address to forward them to.

I've never had an e-mail from Facebook before.

I get notifications of birthdays, but I've usually already been to FB and posted a greeting on the person's page.

be sure and put your curser over the address showing from where it's received from and don't click on it. Your curser will reveal the real e-mail address.

Good advice. I do that a lot.

Jay42

I have 2 factor authentication set up so if I log in from a new device or browser I get a code texted to me or I use the code generator through the Facebook app depending on what I'm logged in through. I also get email alerts when I'm logging in through a new browser.

I tested and logged in through the browser on my iPod touch since I don't use Facebook on my iPod and this is the email I got. It is still best to log in through the website directly to make any changes.

Susan1

Funny? - just logged on to FB and saw this: "Susan, we noticed you recently logged into Facebook from a new device. You can use two-factor authentication to make sure only you can access your account from new devices. We can show you how."

No, I didn't. I don't have any other devices. Does that mean someone else did? They are always asking me for my phone number (for security!) and other personal information. If I do the two-factor identification is that so someone can steal my info easier. I'm going to change my password.

Prancer, the link you shared is from 2 years ago?

Susan1

O.k.

#1 - I forget what day it is, not usually the year. The link was from 2014, so three years ago. Geez.

#2 - when I went to change my password, it let you choose if you wanted email notifications if someone tried to get in your account. Nell411, maybe you already had that choice made, so they notified you. I do now. (They sent me a password change confirmation email.

#3 - it said I last logged on from Middletown. Uh, no, I didn't. I wonder if opening my email at the library when I was on Ancestry yesterday helped someone get in. I just changed a bunch of other passwords too. I don't even do any of my banking online. I just don't want anybody else to!!!!!

Last edited:

Jay42

Two-factor
O.k.

#1 - I forget what day it is, not usually the year. The link was from 2014, so three years ago. Geez.

#2 - when I went to change my password, it let you choose if you wanted email notifications if someone tried to get in your account. Nell411, maybe you already had that choice made, so they notified you. I do now. (They sent me a password change confirmation email.

#3 - it said I last logged on from Middletown. Uh, no, I didn't. I wonder if opening my email at the library when I was on Ancestry yesterday helped someone get in. I just changed a bunch of other passwords too. I don't even do any of my banking online. I just don't want anybody else to!!!!!
I have made the choice to get email alerts. I also have two-factor authentication so I have to get a code either from a text or from the Facebook app on a different device in order to log in on a new device. My Facebook was hacked once and I used to have several attempts made at my email address so I pull out all the stops.

It says I've logged in from various parts of the BC coast ever time I log in from work because my store is a BC based company and all out internet stuff is based out of Vancouver and the surrounding area. It could just mean that the library has it's IP based out of Middletown. If the time matches up with when you were in the library then that's probably it. You should log it out anyway, just to be safe.

Susan1

Two-factor

I have made the choice to get email alerts. I also have two-factor authentication so I have to get a code either from a text or from the Facebook app on a different device in order to log in on a new device. My Facebook was hacked once and I used to have several attempts made at my email address so I pull out all the stops.

It says I've logged in from various parts of the BC coast ever time I log in from work because my store is a BC based company and all out internet stuff is based out of Vancouver and the surrounding area. It could just mean that the library has it's IP based out of Middletown. If the time matches up with when you were in the library then that's probably it. You should log it out anyway, just to be safe.

I don't think the library could have been it? It's the Montgomery County system. And Middletown is not even in Montgomery County. It's 3 towns south of here. I don't know how that works. And I didn't log in to FB at the library, just my email. And I always log out of that before I leave.

I was thinking maybe it got confused because I deleted all my cookies and ran a scan and cleanup yesterday morning (2 hours). I didn't see what the time was on the previous log in. I don't know. I just hope whoever it was realized that there's nothing here to steal. The only thing I've ever ordered online from here is rubber sweeps for the storm door. I even changed the password on my "health network". And this morning it took me three tries to get in FB because I forgot that I put a misspelling in my password now. I have a post-it staring me in the face now. What a pain.

Susan1

It still says I'm logged in in Middletown. I don't know what that means. I never noticed whether it said the right city before.

Jay42

I'm in Canada so I have no idea where Middletown or Montgomery County is. I just know IP addresses can be based in different places sometimes depending on the service provider for the internet.

When you look at the Middletown login there should be 3 dots on the right hand side, click on it and then click Log Out. That will log out that session and then you should be good.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
O.k.

Uh, yes? The link isn't the point unless you think that Facebook would have changed its email address in the last three years, which I consider unlikely.

But you are welcome to Google a more recent one if you are worried.

It still says I'm logged in in Middletown. I don't know what that means. I never noticed whether it said the right city before.

I'm in Canada so I have no idea where Middletown or Montgomery County is. I just know IP addresses can be based in different places sometimes depending on the service provider for the internet.

Yes, the city isn't relevant. I've shown as logged in from Indiana before.

You show up as being in the city where you are logged in through your IP hub, which isn't necessarily where you live.

Susan1

Uh, yes? The link isn't the point unless you think that Facebook would have changed its email address in the last three years, which I consider unlikely.

But you are welcome to Google a more recent one if you are worried.

Yes, the city isn't relevant. I've shown as logged in from Indiana before.

You show up as being in the city where you are logged in through your IP hub, which isn't necessarily where you live.

I MEANT THAT PEOPLE WERE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM 2-3 YEARS AGO, and there still wasn't a better way to fix it, O.K.? :)

And I will try to stop worrying about the log in thing.

judiz

Twice I've had them "from" Chase Bank. They gave me an abuse address to forward them to.

Yeah, I love it when I get an email
from a bank I've never done business with, tell me my account was compromised

Susan1

Yeah, I love it when I get an email
from a bank I've never done business with, tell me my account was compromised

This was supposedly from my bank. It didn't have their correct logo or email address (hovered over the address bar). I called the bank and they told me to forward it to their abuse email address. The second time I got one (at least a year later), I just sent it to them.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I ran into a problem with photo albums. I created an album yesterday. Today I wanted to improve some of the pics so I edited them outside, deleted the original ones from the album and added the new and improved version of the photos. They all appeared at the top. Earlier they were the last ones, as they were taken last. I want to rearrange the photos in the order they were taken but I don't see the button that allows me to rearrange them by date. When I created the album, it gave me that option but after I edited to add more photos, I don't see it anymore.

Have I lost the order forever? Is this one of facebook's glitches?

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I ran into a problem with photo albums. I created an album yesterday. Today I wanted to improve some of the pics so I edited them outside, deleted the original ones from the album and added the new and improved version of the photos. They all appeared at the top. Earlier they were the last ones, as they were taken last. I want to rearrange the photos in the order they were taken but I don't see the button that allows me to rearrange them by date. When I created the album, it gave me that option but after I edited to add more photos, I don't see it anymore.

Have I lost the order forever? Is this one of facebook's glitches?

(Quoting myself)- A facebook friend told me an easy solution. All is well with the albums.

However, I have still not resolved my issues with the Messenger. I get notified that someone sent me a message but I can't retrieve it because I must go through Messenger. I click on Messenger to install it but nothing happens, and all the messages go unread. This has happened at least 5-6 times.

floridaice

(Quoting myself)- A facebook friend told me an easy solution. All is well with the albums.

However, I have still not resolved my issues with the Messenger. I get notified that someone sent me a message but I can't retrieve it because I must go through Messenger. I click on Messenger to install it but nothing happens, and all the messages go unread. This has happened at least 5-6 times.

i get those Messenger notifications all the time, i install it on my phone and then there is no message. I think it's just Facebook wanting Messenger installed and active on my phone so it can gather data. When someone sends me a real message (in my experience, which isn't much) i get an email message, so I know it's real.

Susan1

I have not gotten any posts all day from any of my liked pages, just from friends. I went to their sites and they are posting them there. They are all still in my liked pages list. I can't get the "help" page to recognize what I am saying. Any ideas?

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Did you reset your ad preferences? Or actually unfollow the page?
Facebook annoys me when "it" decides whose posts I want to see or in what order or when they want to drop people from my feed.
And tell me which news articles I want to read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information