Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

Lorac

And Venus wins so we get a Garbine vs Venus final. I will be cheering for Venus totally as she has gone through hell the last few weeks with the whole mess of the car accident and being told she was at fault and then being told no she was driving perfectly legally and it wasn't her fault. I do hope that unlawful death lawsuit against her gets dropped.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
In some places in the US, if you get t-boned, it's automatically considered the other driver's fault unless they can somehow prove otherwise. (I found this out when my son got t-boned.) Since Venus was t-boned, I was surprised they were talking about her being at fault.

chantilly

It's because the other car was claiming she ran a red light.
Not sure what the laws are regarding that.
I have no idea who is in the right with the accident (although it seems Venus has been cleared), just adding to the point above.
Anyway thrilled for another final for Venus.
Her comeback has been remarkable.

chantilly

Exactly what the guy who t-boned my son said. Insurance company still found for my son and police did not ticket him.
Apparently she had proceeded through the intersection on a green light but had to stop because someone made a left turn
She was still in the intersection when the light turned red again.
But legally the oncoming traffic must yield right of way if a car is still in the intersection, i.e you must let them complete their manoeuvre before proceeding yourself.
They found different video to confirm this.
Hopefully she can stay focused and stay the course
I know very little about Muguruzu or her game, but I'm rooting for Venus.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Apparently she had proceeded through the intersection on a green light but had to stop because someone made a left turn
She was still in the intersection when the light turned red again.
But legally the oncoming traffic must yield right of way if a car is still in the intersection, i.e you must let them complete their manoeuvre before proceeding yourself.
They found different video to confirm this.
Hopefully she can stay focused and stay the course
I know very little about Muguruzu or her game, but I'm rooting for Venus.

That is exactly right. If Venus was already in the intersection on the green light, the other car must wait for her to complete her turn. Even if the light turns red at that point, it does not mean she ran the red light. I had asked an attorney at work, regarding this kind of situation. That was years ago when we had cameras at intersections. I have done this many times, both ways.

It is very sad for the driver who was killed and his family, but I feel bad for Venus that she has to deal with the lawsuit. I am sure she feels horrible that she was in an accident where someone was killed. Both sides will be better off settling out of court, IMO. It will be harder for the family that lost a member, but they too will be better off moving on. JMO.

I am rooting for Venus to win another Wimbledon title. At her age she may not get another opportunity. I am sure Garbine will have her chance again.

Meredith

what a glorious day!
I'm looking forward to seeing Venus in the final.

Was really impressed with Berdych's level of play in the semis, but never tire of seeing Fed pick balls out of the air in his return shots. Wow.

Lorac

Federer one match away from another history making moment. I will be cheering for him to do it. Berdych didn't make it easy but Fed stepped up when needed!!

And really hope Venus wins as well - she really has worked hard this year to get back to the top of her game and I think she can beat Garbene and do it.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Garbine beats Venus 7-6, 6-0 to win her second grand slam event, following her win in last years French Open :cheer2:

Jimena

I didn't watch the match but Muguruza just won and bageled Venus in the second set. Congratulations to Muguruza. But was Venus hurt?

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
In terms of the men's final tomorrow, Roger leads the head to head with Cilic 6-1, and beat Cilic in the quarter finals at last years Wimbledon in 5 sets (after coming back from 2 sets down).

The Federer Express is on course for an 8th Wimbledon title :cheer2:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I was disappointed that Venus couldn't take advantage of this opportunity to win yet another Wimbledon, but making it to the Final is a great achievement for her at this time. I hope she can play at a high level a few more years.

oleada

Congrats toGarbiñe! She is great to watch when on. She had now beaten both Williams sisters in GS finals - not sure if there's any other players who can say that!

Kudos to Venus, too, for making the finals.

peibeck

Simply looking
Yes, congrats to Garbine, her play and focus were tremendous. The first set was brilliant from both ladies. Venus just seemed to unravel, but her comments at the conclusion of the match were amazing and so very gracious. This has certainly been a long two weeks for her, but she should definitely be proud of how well she did at this tournament given the swirl of controversy she had entering the tournament.

Although Federer leads Cilic 6-1 in their head-to-heads, they have had some competitive meetings before. Still hoping for a Fed win, but I hope it isn't quite the blow-out the ladies ended up being today in the end.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I didn't watch the match but Muguruza just won and bageled Venus in the second set. Congratulations to Muguruza. But was Venus hurt?

No, it was a combination of Muguruza playing really well and Venus falling apart after losing a tight first set.

Lorac

Congrats to Garbine. After facing set points she held firm and snuck out the 1st set. Venus seenedcto run out of steam at that point and Garbine stepped up and deserved her first Wimbledon Championship. Hopefully this time she can step up and become a serious force to be reckoned with.

Then I watched the mens and women's doubles final and they couldn't have been more different with the men going deep into the 5th set with the momentum swinging both ways. They had to suspend play to close the roof to finish it as it went over 4 1/2 hours. However the womens match went less than an hour with the winners not dropping a game.

Now onto the men's final. I wont be able to see it as I have a workshop that was booked 6 months ago. Probably for the best as I get so nervous watching my favourites and I really want Fed to win so I'll record it and watch it later. Hope it is a good match.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Venus has Sjogrens Syndrome guys, an autoimmune disorder with symptoms that include profound fatigue, joint pain, and extensive dryness of the eyes and mouth: https://www.sjogrens.org/home/about-sjogrens

Obviously, Venus has dealt with this illness for a number of years and she's found a way to manage it with a workable training regimen and whatever treatment methods are available. It's absolutely Venus' amazing and indefatigable force of will that has allowed her to continue playing competitive tennis, and winning! It's simply astounding that Venus made it back to the recent Australian Open final (of course she lost to her sister Serena, as has happened quite often in slam finals). This was a golden opportunity for Venus at Wimbledon with Serena not playing. But how many of us actually expected Venus to soldier all the way to the finals? At the age of 37 for Venus to make it to another Wimbledon final while battling her illness, the media, and prying questions about the recent car accident is rather miraculous. I was rooting for Venus to win another Wimbledon, but apparently it was asking too much for her to win against the young, talented, very game and very hungry Muguruza, especially after losing that close first set.

I'm sure it's extremely disappointing and disheartening for Venus not to have been able to lift her game for the second set. And yet, she was able to grace us with her smile and carry herself like the champion she is and will always be. Tennis is obviously a tough mental and physical game. Venus knew she needed to win the first set. Venus not winning that first set after being ahead gave her younger opponent a huge burst of confidence. As Muguruza said, "I grew up watching Venus play ... she's a role model." So many players who have been on the tour during the magnificent reign of the Williams sisters, have bitten the dust a long time ago.

All the players on the women's side over the past 20 years have looked to the Williams sisters in order to learn what it takes to play like a champion and to win. Everyone wants to beat them both. Few have accomplished that feat. Congrats to Muguruza on obtaining her first Venus rosewater dish by beating Venus -- something many others have tried and failed to do! Mucho respect to Venus Williams who has held the lovely champion's trophy that is so aptly named, five times. :respec: If not for Serena, Venus would have won many more Wimbledon titles and Grand slams. Meanwhile, Serena has won Wimbledon 7 times, and has achieved a record 23 Grand slam titles (after surpassing Steffi Graf's 22 Grand slam wins). And it's Venus who has been Serena's inspiration, motivation, and role model. After winning the French Open in 2016 and now Wimbledon, it will be interesting to see how many slams and how many Wimbledon titles Muguruza will win in her burgeoning career. This Wimbledon is a good start. And of course both of her Grand slam victories were won against each of the Williams sisters, who are tough to beat.

Additional questions: Will Serena have a boy or a girl? How will Serena fare when she returns to the tour? Will Venus be able to make it back to another Grand slam final? No matter what, the Williams sisters' life accomplishments are already beyond legendary.

Last edited:
Reactions: mac

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information