2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Has this been posted yet?

Alexa and Chris Knierim's new SP: "Paint it Black" (cover by someone named Ciera?)
choreo by Rohene Ward

and a three minute clip of Rohene working with Alexa and Chris, part of a mini-docu series of Rohene's choreo this year, posted on this Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/rohene1?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

Ohhhhhhhhhh @el henry THANK YOUUUUU FOR THIS!!!!!!!

Good Lord, I am LUUUUURVVVVVVVINNNNNGGGGG all that choreo. Get it done!!! And music is original and different and interesting!!!!

STAY HEALTHY cause I need to see this program many times!!!!!

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Pretty underwhelming choice for the Olympic year..

Oh don't worry - That won't stop people from whining their asses off if she doesn't beat Janny in scores this season. :saint:

I agree, but there's still the long program.

VGThuy

I haven't watched the clip yet, but sounds like it's a rendition of Summertime that people aren't enjoying. That said, if it's close to what Usova/Zhulin gave us back in 1991 then I'll be all for it. She needs to bring the sex.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
It sort of reminds me of her Cindi Lauper program so far, I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

If she lands all of her jumps she could be skating to anything though, the scores will still be there. Maybe the shoe will be on the other foot this year and people will be wuzrobbing for second place.

Based on what we've seen, I think that the 2017 SP will likely be the better program. Honestly I think she should use it for a 2nd year, it's much better than this.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Based on what we've seen, I think that the 2017 SP will likely be the better program.

Yes its that sophistication of that program that can come close to touching Medev in the SP.

Has she ever worked with Shae Lynn?

I hear Summertime and I just think of Shae Lynn.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I just think of Fantasia from American Idol, but I agree she should work with someone new. No offense to Vance, but I just don't think he's really getting it with her. She has way too much personality and pizzazz to work with, and it's always these slower :yawn: themes that do NOTHING to show it. Last years SP was her only strong program this quad IMO.

chantilly

Because we can judge an entire programme for the next season based on one clip of not even the whole programme
Summertime has been sung by many people. This sounds big band and jazzy.
Think it suits her fine.
I'll wait to actually see the whole programme first before I judge it.

Bellanca

When life gives you (vocal selection) lemons (*Cough* The Winner Takes It All) make lemonade… I think Kaetlyn can do that. Plus, it’ll be one less La La Land program to endure for the umpteenth time this season. :barrel

It sort of reminds me of her Cindi Lauper program so far, I'm not sure if that's a good thing.
:lol: No, that's, uh, not good... :gallopin1

VGThuy

Just a reminder of Summertime and skating working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_exxGGmRV8

Of course Osmond has to cram 7 elements in 2:50 minutes with all the level 4 necessities. I'm going to give it a chance even though I do love Osmond's "Milord" SP and I think she can still do more with it and believe it would be a total tv and in-person crowd-pleaser. That said as long as she hits the elements she could really skate to anything do all sorts of strange choreography to strange music. The scores will be there.

honey

Because we can judge an entire programme for the next season based on one clip of not even the whole programme
Summertime has been sung by many people. This sounds big band and jazzy.
Think it suits her fine.
I'll wait to actually see the whole programme first before I judge it.

Not entirely sure, but I think she might be using the same version of Summertime that Rochette used in a show number several years ago (not to be confused with the version she used competitively!)

https://youtu.be/hxX8hXqifwc

If it is indeed this version, I think it's a pretty good arrangement. It starts more sultry and ends on the jazzy side.

I too will wait to see the whole thing before making a judgement, but I have to say my first reaction was that it wasn't what I'd hoped she'd pick.

But I still think she could pull this off really well. Girl can bring the sex if she needs to. She was able to do that very well in that SOI girls group number last year. If she can bring the maturity and sophistication to it along with some sexy it could set her apart from the younger competitors.

honey

Has she ever worked with Shae Lynn?

I hear Summertime and I just think of Shae Lynn.

Sorry for the double post, but yes she has worked with Shae on a couple of exhibition programs. The first collaboration in 2014 was, IMO, horrendous. The piece she did for her on this past SOI tour was cute, but I was sort of expecting more.

I just think of Fantasia from American Idol, but I agree she should work with someone new. No offense to Vance, but I just don't think he's really getting it with her. She has way too much personality and pizzazz to work with, and it's always these slower :yawn: themes that do NOTHING to show it. Last years SP was her only strong program this quad IMO.

You do realize Vipond has only done her SPs this quad and that she's only had two of them so far? She did not skate the 14-15 season, he did the La Vie en Rose in 15-16 and the Piaf piece in 16-17. The slow programs can't all be put on him. :p

I think her 15-16 Tango LP that Camerlengo did could have been really great, but it never quite got there. I think he utilized her personality quite well, especially in the footwork sequence in that program.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Not entirely sure, but I think she might be using the same version of Summertime that Rochette used in a show number several years ago (not to be confused with the version she used competitively!)

If it is indeed this version, I think it's a pretty good arrangement. It starts more sultry and ends on the jazzy side.
If it's this version, and she brings even half the sass and musicality that Joannie does (and I believe she can) she'll be just fine. I think it will suit her very well.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Sorry for the double post, but yes she has worked with Shae on a couple of exhibition programs. The first collaboration in 2014 was, IMO, horrendous. The piece she did for her on this past SOI tour was cute, but I was sort of expecting more.

You do realize Vipond has only done her SPs this quad and that she's only had two of them so far? She did not skate the 14-15 season, he did the La Vie en Rose in 15-16 and the Piaf piece in 16-17. The slow programs can't all be put on him. :p

I think her 15-16 Tango LP that Camerlengo did could have been really great, but it never quite got there. I think he utilized her personality quite well, especially in the footwork sequence in that program.

No you're absolutely right, it can't all be put on one person. And :lol:

But she has improved so much, she's a totally different skater than when we first saw her. Huge jumps, awesome speed, nonchalantly just doing a 3lutz and leaving people :wideeyes: ...can you imagine the impact it would leave if she did, say a Rhumba themed program to compete with the ice dancers, and added all of the sizzle? And her charisma and bright eyes and :D She has the potential to make the judges put the pen down and just say "10." if it's a huge sparkling-personality theme, but no. Let's do Summertime.

We really should wait though, chantilly is right. But how is off-season supposed to be any fun when you do that?

screech

I posted in the Kaetlyn thread, but do we know for sure that she is actually skating to Summertime? For all we know, that music could belong to another skater on the ice (the timing of the start of her step sequence didn't really match with the music). And often skaters will put hashtags or something to announce their music.

In any case, even if it's Summertime, I'm not as worried as others. Also, I didn't love her SP this season as much as most others (I was a rare one who actually preferred her LP to the SP this year).

Osmond4gold

I posted in the Kaetlyn thread, but do we know for sure that she is actually skating to Summertime? For all we know, that music could belong to another skater on the ice (the timing of the start of her step sequence didn't really match with the music). And often skaters will put hashtags or something to announce their music.

In any case, even if it's Summertime, I'm not as worried as others. Also, I didn't love her SP this season as much as most others (I was a rare one who actually preferred her LP to the SP this year).

I agree screech. I remember after she debuted her Edith program in the fall and a few calling it a cheese cake factory (ahem, ...the Skating Lesson), and look how that turned out. Not worried here, ...Kaetlyn has full trust in Lance and given his history of creativity, I have no doubt that they will make brilliance together, yet again.

Last edited:

SkateFanBerlin

I too will wait to see the whole thing before making a judgement, but I have to say my first reaction was that it wasn't what I'd hoped she'd pick.

But I still think she could pull this off really well. Girl can bring the sex if she needs to. She was able to do that very well in that SOI girls group number last year. If she can bring the maturity and sophistication to it along with some sexy it could set her apart from the younger competitors.

Vie en Rose wasn't just sexy, it was stylized - the positions and step sequences were specific to the period. Summertime needs the same. 40's, 50's jazz dancing - black leotard, filmy little skirt, sharp makeup, red lips.

arakwafan2006

I'm happy to witness the partnership between Shae and Ashley. I do love Lori's classy programs but Ashley is right that her work is sometimes easy to spot. Those weren't Ashley's words. They were more along the lines of some choreographers stylize their skaters in a way that you can tell their work. My only wish is that she used Jan Longmire to do her costumes. I'm not a Lisa McKennon fan at all. That's my issue though.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
No you're absolutely right, it can't all be put on one person. And :lol:

But she has improved so much, she's a totally different skater than when we first saw her. Huge jumps, awesome speed, nonchalantly just doing a 3lutz and leaving people :wideeyes: ...can you imagine the impact it would leave if she did, say a Rhumba themed program to compete with the ice dancers, and added all of the sizzle? And her charisma and bright eyes and :D She has the potential to make the judges put the pen down and just say "10." if it's a huge sparkling-personality theme, but no. Let's do Summertime.

We really should wait though, chantilly is right. But how is off-season supposed to be any fun when you do that?

Well put...I'm concerned they are stripping all the uniqueness and spontaneous sass off of Kaetlyn :( They're...dare I say...Americanizing her, speaking in terms of American Ladies skaters.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Somehow, I'm not surprised about her keeping the FS. That's been sort of a signature piece for her, hasn't it? I can easily see her wanting to take it to the Olympics, if she makes it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information