Russian Ice Dance champion Zhiganshin retires

Coquelicot14

What a pity. Out of the whole story, I was rooting for Zhiganshin to succeed most of all.

Now, the only thing left is for Katsalapov to go beg Elena to skate with him again. (With Zhulin as coach) Nikita is not the kind of guy that is suitable for a quiet girl like Sinitzina, but Elena is one that could keep him is check. Lena is his only real chance.

Ok, back to reality, best of luck to Elena. I see her being successful, if not in FS, then something else. Her optimism is her strength.

jenji124

So sad to hear this. I had hoped Elena and ruslan would find long term success. I feel sad for Elena if this is the end she is such a superb skater it feels like such a waste of talent. I wish the best for ruslan and his health is ok.

sus2850

Thank you Sylvia, I did not manage to put it through a translator on my phone..,

Quite sad, I hope he finds a good second career that he enjoys.

arakwafan2006

Would you have wanted to be him? Constantly compared to Nikita. Reading about how slight and inadequate you were compared to her. I am not speculating. For all I know, he was honored to work with her but it was a thought

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Shocking. I have been out of touch due to lack of internet availability, so I had no idea this was coming.

caseyedwards

Allowing I&K to split up was truly a crime against Russian ice dance and the Russian Fed is paying the price

They could have said if you break up you are banned from Russia dance forever and never be released. Then i/k could have sued and let court of arbitration for sport decide. Their Olympic bronze apparently didn't mean anything to Russian federation. But maybe they all agreed they would destroy dance to focus on ladies

Coquelicot14

I am not sure I understand the logic of some here: the federation allows teams to break up - bad (bronze means nothing..). The federation doesn't allow teams to break up - bad (no freedom, despotism, dictatorship, whatever) :blah:

There is only one person to blame here, and that's Nikita, he made the desision. He determined his own destiny, now he must live with being responsible for destroying the most promising Russian ice-dance team circa 2014-2018.
Now, time to focus on the other teams. I still have hope for several of them yet!

Sylvia

TBD
http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20170518/1120623635.html

Google translated excerpt:
Figure skaters Elena Ilinykh and Ruslan Zhiganshin, who are in the [dance] pair, are included in the reserve squad of candidates for the Russian national team, said Alexander Gorshkov, president of the Federation of figure skating in Russia ( FKKKR ).
Coaches are on vacation, so we agreed that they come to us in early June to review plans and there we will talk about everything, "Gorshkov told reporters.
Earlier, a source familiar with the situation, told the agency "R-Sport" that Zhiganshin decided to end his sports career.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

I am not sure I understand the logic of some here: the federation allows teams to break up - bad (bronze means nothing..). The federation doesn't allow teams to break up - bad (no freedom, despotism, dictatorship, whatever) :blah:

There is only one person to blame here, and that's Nikita, he made the desision. He determined his own destiny, now he must live with being responsible for destroying the most promising Russian ice-dance team circa 2014-2018.
Now, time to focus on the other teams. I still have hope for several of them yet!

But it's true that Nikita is in a system! He is really an employee. He has bosses and people above him with much more power. People who had the power to say "you are being stupid moron jackass with no brain" and laughed in his face!

Coquelicot14

I hope they did! If you remember, when the whole thing started, they set down with them repeatedly to tried and reconcile it.
I don't think they could have forced them though, at least not without an international scandal and drama. Although, the decisive action is something I miss from them. Not really going to see that with Gorshkov.

caseyedwards

I hope they did! If you remember, when the whole thing started, they set down with them repeatedly to tried and reconcile it.
I don't think they could have forced them though, at least not without an international scandal and drama. Although, the decisive action is something I miss from them. Not really going to see that with Gorshkov.

They should have accepted fallout from scandal and drama if it meant rehabilitation of relationship between i and k.

Coquelicot14

Agreed, they should have. Say what you would about Piseev, but that's probably exactly what he would have done. Sometimes althletes are playing on emotions and don't posess higher level thinking.
Now Nikita doesn't posess an Olympic podium chance either.

Dobre

Sigh.

There really are no words.

At this point, I fail to see what good blame will do anyone at all. Nikita has been injured, coachless, accused of mistreating his partner, & fizzling twizzles this season. What on earth about this scenario implies that the Russian Federation, Elena, or Russian ice dance would currently be better off if I&K had been forced to stay together?

Coquelicot14

Well, for one, together they would most likely still be with Morozov, he dumped S&K since it was too much drama for too little reward. They would be his top team, actually. No partner mistreatment drama, as there is no way Morozov would allow that, it didn't happen under his watch. They were largely unsupervised with Zueva. And Nikita's ego would be in check, since Elena is an even match... plus federation monitors teams training closer to home. Detroit is too far.

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Well, for one, together they would most likely still be with Morozov, he dumped S&K since it was too much drama for too little reward. They would be his top team, actually. No partner mistreatment drama, as there is no way Morozov would allow that, it didn't happen under his watch. They were largely unsupervised with Zueva. And Nikita's ego would be in check, since Elena is an even match... plus federation monitors teams training closer to home. Detroit is too far.
I'm sure Ilinykh would have been copacetic to be coached by Morozov as he courted and married his new wife, who switched to Ice Dance ;)

Maria Tallchief managed it -- she went back to rehearsal for the in-progress "Scotch Symphony" right after she went to court where the divorce was finalized -- but her marriage to Balanchine was never passion-filled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information