Igor Shpilband: "I want a completely new look for Ilinykh/Zhiganshin"

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Ok. So in fact, he only had them two weeks since Lena was sick if google translation is accurate. IMO, that says it all.

MarieM

The way he's telling things, he's not interested in them. IMO of course.

arakwafan2006

He was telling the truth about the French. Their style is simple though they're my favorites. It goes to show that all that busy ass choreography C&B do does not equate to higher scores than the French choosing to showcase difficulty by being completely harmonious. Indeed, a perfect 3 course meal usually beats a buffet of just ok food. He has a legitimate gripe but let's see Madison and Evan do it.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Well I was wondering cause usually, in summer time, correct me if I'm wrong but Barbara F Poli was going to work with Igor.... Last summer she sent her Italian team to Washington and, in the stand at Jr World Barbara and the Italian were sitting with the Weaton group.... So maybe Igor is loosing precious friend here??? Better hold on to Fabian !!
:confused: At Jr World, Fusar-Poli also sat and spent time with Shpilband team so I don't think there is anything special here.

C

casken

Igor needs a full time choreographer so damn bad. He shouldn't pick anyone's look. He's a master coach but is choreography is as boring as is comes

C&B tried that and it supposedly failed spectacularly. (I say supposedly, becuase we never got to see what Najarro (sp?) gave them)

That's the problem with his teams. They all have such a set way of skating, that anything outside of that comfort zone becomes problematic.

MarieM

He hasn't tried since Marina. At least, despite all that she does wrong, she knew how to package "classical" teams. I disliked it, still it was efficient. Craptacular but efficient.
Since the fallout (well I'll always view it as Marina hijacking his school and pupils), I think he hasn't dared to bring another poaching person and choreographers are it to him.

The french programs are puzzling to him because he doesn't grab the IT factor behind it, he focuses only on elements, he doesn't want to see the package. I bet he doesn't even understand that whole package thing.

Igor is a technician, one of the best, but he lacks in what ice dance can be, a whole package. But he also is a master at bringing the best out of his students. The ones he really wants to work with.

quiqie

The way he's telling things, he's not interested in them. IMO of course.
In the interview (http://www.gazeta.ru/sport/2016/03/21/a_8135711.shtml) he says that he had a talk with the head of FFKR Alexander Kogan in Debrecen and they discussed his work with I/Z, but so far it's been decided that they train with him until May, and then go back to Moscow.
He probably doesn't want to get too invested in them until he is certain he will be paid.

MarieM

When Igor is interested, you can tell by his interviews ;) So far and always IMO, he's not at all, and some of the things he's throwing there (like she was sick) isn't something you would tell if you were really invested.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
I bet he doesn't even understand that whole package thing.
Then you're really taking him for a fool and you're wrong :D He is everything but stupid. In this interview, I certainly don't read so much into what he did not say... He is very straighforward as always and if he doesn't want to give certain details, I assume it's because, like most coaches, he doesn't want to give comprehensive informations to the future contenders of his new trainees. Since they will mainly work on programs for next season, no need to reveal or even just give clues of what it will be so early. Even if said new trainees will be back in Moscow in a few weeks. Or maybe not.

Marta24

I think him talking with the Russian Fed is a sign that he is actually interested in them. Between him and Zueva, he always was the more straightforward and down to earth person. He is not going to talk about their eyes of liquid chocolate. Anyway, Shpilband hasn`t said anything we didn`t know before. Elena already made it clear in her interview back in February, that this is an arrangement for 3 months and that they would make a final decision about their coaching in May. I also can imagine that if they want to switch to Shpilband, they don`t want Kustarova and Alexeeva to find out through the internet. I remember from the past seasons that the Russian skaters usually had a medical examination in April/May that is mandatory, so they have to go back to Moscow anyway.

Moustaffask8r

He was telling the truth about the French. Their style is simple though they're my favorites. It goes to show that all that busy ass choreography C&B do does not equate to higher scores than the French choosing to showcase difficulty by being completely harmonious. Indeed, a perfect 3 course meal usually beats a buffet of just ok food. He has a legitimate gripe but let's see Madison and Evan do it.
Transition are more difficult than simple cross cut and two feet choreography.... very easy to keep unisson standing on two feet or doing cross cut lower level skaters can achieve that....

arakwafan2006

C&B tried that and it supposedly failed spectacularly. (I say supposedly, becuase we never got to see what Najarro (sp?) gave them)

That's the problem with his teams. They all have such a set way of skating, that anything outside of that comfort zone becomes problematic.

What full time choreographer did they try?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information