I Have Got to Stay Out of Sephora (and other glamourpuss issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
So we were way over 1000 posts and I took my own suggestion.

I'm sorry the Peony didn't work for you, IA, but I hated the blackberry/bay so there you go. I think there's nothing more idiosyncratic than the sense of smell.

The Chantecaille makeup is wonderful. And pricey. That is the first and last time in my life I spend $30 for an eyeliner but the Olive Brocade (what it sounds like, green with gold flecks) could not be passed up. I wanted the Violet Damask also but there are limits...

Unfortunately the foundation sample is working all too well. :bribe:

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

I'm sorry the Peony didn't work for you, IA, but I hated the blackberry/bay so there you go. I think there's nothing more idiosyncratic than the sense of smell.

The Chantecaille makeup is wonderful. And pricey. That is the first and last time in my life I spend $30 for an eyeliner but the Olive Brocade (what it sounds like, green with gold flecks) could not be passed up. I wanted the Violet Damask also but there are limits...

What, a brand of makeup I don't know? Not that I need any more makeup.

In end I decided against Blackberry and Bay. I loved the top and middle but the bottom notes were just boring and way too masculine. I was given samples of Hervé Léger which isn't half bad.

IceAlisa

Alas, wore the Hervé Léger today, very very dull and somehow old-fashioned on the drydown. Good thing we have alcohol wipes at work. Replaced with my trusty Nectarine Blossom & Honey to chase away the old lady blahs.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
It's funny how I smell some perfumes and immediately think "mom." If it smells like Emeraude or White Linen, I'm outta there.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
It's funny how I smell some perfumes and immediately think "mom." If it smells like Emeraude or White Linen, I'm outta there.

For me, it's WindSong. I always take a sniff when I am in CVS and remember the time that I broke a very large, brand-new bottle of the stuff in my parents' bedroom when I was about nine. It took weeks for the smell to dissipate. But I still have fond memories, just the same.

Reactions: Rob

IceAlisa

For me the dreaded "mom" fragrance is Vera Wang. That stuff has the reach of an ICBM--I knew my mom was on her way through a closed door. White florals are generally not my thing but this one caused a migraine within minutes.

Finally, I weaned my mom off of it and am keeping up her stock of Hermessense Vanille Galante, one of Ellena's masterpieces. I check her medicine cabinet every time I am there to make sure she doesn't run out and buy something horrid on her own.

I do not 'get' Chanel No.5. How is it still the most purchased fragrance in the world? Is that even true?
Someone please explain this to me.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I don't do fragrances anymore. I'm fairly sensitive to scents, and I know it's there, even if I've just put on a dab.

I got the Revlon Gel Envy on. The reviews were critical of the drying time, but I didn't think it was much longer than regular polish. I could have gotten away with one coat of the color, very deep and rich. The top coat is very shiny. Let's see if it lasts.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
For me the dreaded "mom" fragrance is Vera Wang. That stuff has the reach of an ICBM--I knew my mom was on her way through a closed door. White florals are generally not my thing but this one caused a migraine within minutes.

Finally, I weaned my mom off of it and am keeping up her stock of Hermessense Vanille Galante, one of Ellena's masterpieces. I check her medicine cabinet every time I am there to make sure she doesn't run out and buy something horrid on her own.

I do not 'get' Chanel No.5. How is it still the most purchased fragrance in the world? Is that even true?

My internet research lists it as the most popular fragrance of all time, followed by Joy and Shalimar, but I'm not sure it's currently the most popular. To me it smells sharp and somewhat chemical.

The deepest, most grownup scent I own is Hypnotic Poison, and I only wear it for nights out in cold weather. That's as far back in time as I go, but I have to admit I'm still fond of Dune and Tresor when I smell them in the store.

topaz

I saw a few items I'll get the sephora sale. I'm getting some skincare, marc jacob's gel lipsticks, too faced melted metals, Lancome Shine Love shine lipsticks.

I'm thinking of getting the Cover FX Custom Cover Drops. I've read noting but GREAT things about this.

Last edited:

topaz

I'm with you on the Chanel #5. It is absolutely horrible smelling with my body chem. I think the quintessal "mom" perfume is Liz Taylor's White Diamonds or Chloe. My aunt Stella loves these two fragrances.

@PRlady - Shalimar is exotic smelling and it is a wonderful perfume.

I'm got a sample bottle of Tory Burch from Sephora a few months ago, I adore the smell but it does not have staying power. I still think I'm gonna have to buy this one.
Also, Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline, Dolce and Gabbana The One and Armani Acqua di Gioia have been in my rotation of late.

My signature perfumes are Thierry Mugler's Alien and Robert Piquet's fracas. Now I admit Fracas is an "old lady" vibe to it. but no other perfume smells like it. It is an original.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Anyone who can wear Alien or Angel has my respect. They smell frightening on me.

I have a little bottle of Toccata, something with a lily of the valley scent, which is very old fashioned but I like it anyway.

myhoneyhoney

my 11 year old wears TM's Angel. She prays once in front of her and then steps into the mist. I can't handle any more than 1 spray of any perfume. Right now I'm looking for a new summer scent. It's difficult because most sunblocks have a scent that interferes with perfume.

ice dance

Random thought: is my perfume/scented hand cream as obnoxious to guys as their deodorant/body spray is to me? I have one coworker who never wears deodorant, and another who occasionally wears a whole can.

topaz

Anyone who can wear Alien or Angel has my respect. They smell frightening on me.

I have a little bottle of Toccata, something with a lily of the valley scent, which is very old fashioned but I like it anyway.

I agree that t Mugler's fragrances are hit or miss. On me their are a hit. On my mom, Alien smells horrible. She's a huge fan of it but she thinks it smells better on me than her. I have Alien in two other formulas too. Alien Aqua and Alien Sunsessence. Alien Aqua has clean smell and I well it often.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Random thought: is my perfume/scented hand cream as obnoxious to guys as their deodorant/body spray is to me? I have one coworker who never wears deodorant, and another who occasionally wears a whole can.
I figure that if I'm sensitive to scent, others might be, too. That's why I go unscented at work. In the interest of full disclosure, I do start using self tanner on my lower legs this time of year, even though the scent isn't all that pleasant to me. My BFF says she can't detect it, but I can.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
My coworkers, almost all female, compliment me on various perfumes. I only stay scentless on airplanes and other tight quarters with strangers who may be sensitive.

IceAlisa

I continue loving my Chanel brow liner and got another for a little present for my cousin.

So Sephora VIB Rouge 15% off sale--of course, I couldn't stay out.

My haul:

Benefit Gimme Brow to go on top of the Chanel liner, I use both with a very light hand. My brows never looked better.
Clinique Butter Shine lipsticks in Pink-a-boo and Pink Goddess (in my mind's eye I see topaz :rolleyes: at my lip color wussiness)
Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara--never seen a wand that big...
Origins eye shadow in Bittersweet (I stopped by their counter so technically not Sephora) to use as eyeliner

Also, not from Sephora, I ordered Morrocanoil Dry Shampoo Dark tones and really like it. It smells a bit powdery but that fades in seconds and totally disappears into my hair.

There is a new flanker in La Petite Robe Noir family called LPRN Couture. I saw a black gown on the bottle and being a fan of the original parfum for casual wear, reached for it. Well, immediately I got hit over the head with patchouli and ran for the hills. Why, Guerlain, why?

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Please report on the Clinique lipsticks, if you like them I will join you in your wussiness because I won't wear red or burgundy either. Or coral. :slinkaway

So....my long-time colorist moved to New York to seek fame and fortune. I wept. He hugged me and gave me the name of a great colorist at another branch, one two blocks from my office so I don't have to trudge back to my old neighborhood anymore.

Winston is a diva. I love him. He has long blonde hair and a midwestern cowboy face and he put something else on my hair along with the glaze and it looks better than even when Myken colored it. He also, and talk about successful upselling, persuaded me to let the brow guy tint my disappearing eyebrows.

That was a good idea. I still need the Gimme Brow for the sparse tails but the brows are definitely more prominent now, he also shaped them better than I could.

I foresee more successful upselling at that salon from Winston the Diva. Crap.

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
My hair is now blonde. Too blonde (to my taste).
I like how light it is, but the tone seems off.

Does any of you have any experience with it?
Does the purple shampoo thing work?

leesaleesa

The ultimate in old lady perfumes are Tabu and Youth-Dew. A lot of people don't know this, but Tabu actually contains a high percentage of naturally distilled liquid hate. They took some soiled diapers and soaked them in maple syrup and Dr. Pepper , and voila, Tabu. Youth-Dew is really the same formula, but to change it up they just added cat pee.

Angel was what they were cooking when the Three Mile Island meltdown occurred.

Any Calvin Klein perfume is awful, IMO. They use the liquid hate base, but it's more subdued than since the "80's, when IFRA banned natural liquid hate and actual cat pee. Now all the Calvin Klein's smell to me like sweet stabbing knives. They used to have an actual poo smell, but thankfully that is gone.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
My hair is now blonde. Too blonde (to my taste).
I like how light it is, but the tone seems off.

Does any of you have any experience with it?
Does the purple shampoo thing work?

I have naturally very dark hair and once had my stylist put too much peroxide on and I was white blonde for two days before I could get back in. :yikes: It was interesting, but I'm better off as a golden blonde. Anyway, the Shimmer Lights shampoo will take off a lot of the brassiness. I haven't used it in about 25 ( :yikes: ) years, since I had a white streak in my hair in college.

But if you don't like the color, have the stylist fix it; don't try to fix it yourself.

vesperholly

Me neither! I keep going back, thinking I'll mature into liking such a classic fragrance, but alas. Still hate it.

My mom wore Shalimar and those triangle bottled Liz Claiborne perfumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information