alilou's Adventures in Wonderland - all over the map.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Milagros is miracles? I never knew that. Gives a whole new meaning to the title of the movie The Milagro Beanfield War
I do agree - the whole journey seems like a miracle. From the moment we were inspired to sell our home and car and all our belongings and jump into the void, from the moment we said YES, no matter what, it's been extraordinary, and such a huge gift I cannot even begin to express. But it still surprises us, and enchants us, when stuff like this happens. Every time.

harekrishna43

Wow - what incredible photos! They just keep getting better and better - I know so little about this part of the world - Macchu Pichu to me was an answer on "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" when my nephew was a contestant many, many years ago. You are such a great story teller and the places come alive from your words and stories - I am so happy to be part of your amazing journey!

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Thanks harekrishna. Machu Pichu is such an astonishing place. I loved doing the research for it, it gave me a much deeper appreciation of the Inca and what they achieved. They were way ahead of their time.

skatesindreams

Your narrative and pictures (glorious) are wonderful, as always.
Yet again, I'm grateful to be able to share your experience.

sk8pics

Another treasure, ali. Thank you again. And somehow I really loved the picture of the little flowers blooming in the middle of nothing.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Your narrative and pictures (glorious) are wonderful, as always.
Yet again, I'm grateful to be able to share your experience.
Thanks. And you're welcome - I love having you along for the ride :cheer:

Another treasure, ali. Thank you again. And somehow I really loved the picture of the little flowers blooming in the middle of nothing.
And you too sk8pics :cheer:

I was pleased with that photo too.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Well I've done it again - a new blog post is ready. It's been ages I know. We've been in transition - back to Vancouver for 10 days to do a little 'housekeeping' and taxes, and catch up with friends, and watch some of worlds with some of the Vancouver FSU crowd. Tomorrow we're off to Cypress for two months.

This post is about the Peruvian town of Ollantaytambo, and a Fiesta, and a bullfight :eek:

http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com/2014/04/03/ollanta-fiesta-corrida-ole-ollantaytambo-peru/

redfiretrees

Figure Skating Fan in the Tropics
There is a new blog post up. This one is about the Inca ruins of Machu Picchu and Pisac, high in the Andes mountains. And another colourful Peruvian market.

http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com/2014/03/23/empire-of-the-sun-god-machu-picchu-and-pisac-peru/

Those Incas sure knew how to move rocks around :)

Wow! Machu Picchu! I'm so jealous! Great blog and photos! I've always dreamed of going there. It's one of the places that's in my bucket list but since it's too far away I don't think I'll ever be able to go..

sk8pics

Well I've done it again - a new blog post is ready. It's been ages I know. We've been in transition - back to Vancouver for 10 days to do a little 'housekeeping' and taxes, and catch up with friends, and watch some of worlds with some of the Vancouver FSU crowd. Tomorrow we're off to Cypress for two months.

This post is about the Peruvian town of Ollantaytambo, and a Fiesta, and a bullfight :eek:

http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com/2014/04/03/ollanta-fiesta-corrida-ole-ollantaytambo-peru/

Awesome again, ali, but that was horrible about the bullfight. I don't blame you guys for leaving and not watching the whole thing. Pity the poor young bull who may end up meeting that fate one day. But, your pics are great as usual!

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Superb photo's as usual, Alilou. Thank you

Can't believe that there is still bullfighting around in the 21st Century. Evil in paradise.

He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.

Immanuel Kant

Last edited:

skatesindreams

What an amazing narrative; and fabulous photos, as always.

Most of us view bullfighting from our 21st century perspective.
For them, it's part of hundreds of years of history and culture.

orientalplane

Mad for mangelwurzels

Yes, but you could say the same thing about hunting with hounds, which thankfully is now illegal in Great Britain (though in Scotland the law is somewhat complicated).

Incredible pictures and everything exquisitely observed in words, Ali. :)

Last edited:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Wow! Machu Picchu! I'm so jealous! Great blog and photos! I've always dreamed of going there. It's one of the places that's in my bucket list but since it's too far away I don't think I'll ever be able to go..
Thanks so much redfire. It really is an extraordinary place. Maybe one day you'll get there. You never know . . . . . .

Awesome again, ali, but that was horrible about the bullfight. I don't blame you guys for leaving and not watching the whole thing. Pity the poor young bull who may end up meeting that fate one day. But, your pics are great as usual!
Thanks sk8pics. Yeah, the bull fight was pretty grim. I know we couldn't have taken any more.

Superb photo's as usual, Alilou. Thank you

Can't believe that there is still bullfighting around in the 21st Century. Evil in paradise.
Thanks Maofan. We loved Ollantaytambo, but I never thought I'd ever see a bullfight, and just the beginning was certainly enough. I can't believe they're still doing it. It's still pretty common throughout Sth America I think.

What an amazing narrative; and fabulous photos, as always.

Thanks skatesindreams. I know what you mean about it being part of their culture for hundreds of years. Even longer in Spain I think, but I believe they've stopped it there. And for sure it's not the only form of using animals for 'entertainment' - cock fighting comes to mind.

Yes, but you could say the same thing about hunting with hounds, which thankfully is now illegal in Great Britain (though in Scotland the law is somewhat complicated).

Incredible pictures and everything exquisitely observed in words, Ali. :)
Thanks OP. I'm glad they finally did away with hunting with hounds - that was pretty cruel, though maybe began, way back, as a natural means to get food. Probably bull fighting did too. But I still think there's no excuse for still doing either these days.

I'm in a cafe in Larnaca in Cyprus. A bit disoriented. Tired so maybe not making a lot of sense. Just wanting to say thank you to you all for following the blog and your nice comments.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Two new posts ready :cheer:

The first I published about a week ago - about our recovery from the South America Odyssey.
http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com/2...life-recovery-and-having-your-ducks-in-a-row/

And the latest is about the city of Lima, Peru's capital.
http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com/2...-and-bloody-awful-bikes-a-short-stay-in-lima/

I have just finished watching all the Oly coverage
In my world the OGM's are V&M, Yuna.
D&W and Sotnikova have great technical skills, and put on a very good show. It was all so dramatic something must have happened. :drama:

But they will never come close to having the grace and finesse and finish of V&M and Yuna, all of whom have pretty kickass tech skills themselves. :swoon:

skatesindreams

Thanks for both posts.
As always, much "food for thought".

The reason/purpose for being in Cyprus will reveal itself in time, I'm sure!

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Thanks, and you're welcome. Lima was lovely though definitely not a highlight. Cyprus is proving so far anyway to be a place to rest and heal. Who knows what else it will bring. A little online research has revealed I almost certainly picked up a mosquito-born virus in the Amazon. Apparently there are over 160 mosquito-born viruses in the Amazon, and I was bitten several times daily. I have the symptoms described and the cure is rest and more rest and healthy eating. Lucky to be able to do both.

skatesindreams

There is at least part of the reason you are in Cyprus!
The "evil" mosquitoes would be impossible to avoid in the Amazon, I suspect.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Yes it's true about Cyprus, and we rest here in a way we wouldn't if we were in Vancouver. I didn't worry about the mozzies in the Amazon because we knew there was no malaria there. Silly me. We should have researched a bit more. At the time we didn't know about the 160+ viruses. And mosquitoes love me :scream:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
:cheer: It's the amazing Amazon :cheer:

:yikes: TARANTULA ALERT :yikes:

:scream: SCORPION ALERT :scream:

That's a warning for the more sensitive readers :) I've been told there are some :shuffle:

The first two photos of the latest post are of a tarantula and a scorpion. If they give you the shudders just scroll right past them.

http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com/2014/04/27/joy-of-the-jungle-the-amazing-amazon/

There's also a new This Nomadic Life post about the sneaky tricks of the mind.

http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com/2014/04/23/this-nomadic-life-observe-the-mind/

I am in heaven watching the entire season on dvd from Skate America onwards. So far I'm up to TEB.
After seeing D&W's FD at SA I fell in love with it, with them - suddenly saw something in them I'd never seen before :swoon:

orientalplane

Mad for mangelwurzels
Thank you, Ali. Funnily enough I can cope with scorpions no problem, even though (as I'm sure people will know) they're also arachnids. Well, I might scroll through until surely they must be gone...... :yikes: Thanks for the warning. :slinkaway

skatesindreams

I think your photos are as close as I want to get to a scorpion, tarantula, or that colorful rattlesnake!
Fascinating adventures, as always; literally, as well as intellectually and spiritually.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Thank you, Ali. Funnily enough I can cope with scorpions no problem, even though (as I'm sure people will know) they're also arachnids. Well, I might scroll through until surely they must be gone...... :yikes: Thanks for the warning. :slinkaway
I didn't know scorpions are arachnids. But then if you think about it they're certainly not insects and they have to be one or the other. Read what I've written above the spidey pics before you very quickly whizz past them - it's kind of the intro to the jungle.

I think your photos are as close as I want to get to a scorpion, tarantula, or that colorful rattlesnake!
Fascinating adventures, as always; literally, as well as intellectually and spiritually.
Thanks skatesindreams. Yes, it's certainly a journey, on all levels. I guess I have snakes on the brain. I almost typed snakesindreams :yikes:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
As much as I miss you in Vancouver, I'm glad you're in Cyprus resting.
Thanks. I miss you too, but boy are we resting. I'm discovering laziness in a way I never have before. I'm not quite comfortable with it. I keep wanting to be full of energy and active again, though I must say things have improved a lot since we've been here.
I can't thank you enough for the dvd's. It's part of the healing of package - lazing around watching skating and eating ice-cream for some part of every day :)

Thank you <3
We are slowly recovering. Going for short walks most days. Even that is an improvement. And my hip is much better. :cheer:

sk8pics

Glad you are feeling better, ali, and thanks as always for sharing your amazing journey with us. I was particularly amazed at the stick insect and the walking trees!

I have been in Kentucky for a week, which is not as exotic but is nevertheless very cool. I will send you some pics once I'm home and get through a couple of days of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information