The GAY thread

Ziggy

The amazing Annie has released "Russian Kiss" on the day the Sochi OWG opened. She's written the song with Richard X and the acclaimed Norwegian artist Bjarne Melgaard did the art direction for the video. The song is unfortunately terrible, which makes me sad given how awesome Annie usually is, but I love how queer the video is. :cheer:

I think the IOC needs to define which groups of people are considered to be protected from discrimination. The question that still remains is whether LGBTQ persons are included.

IOC has confirmed that the anti-discrimination clause in the Olympic Charter includes sexual orientation.

So the fourth episode of Looking aired and it was by far the best one. Scott Bakula is just adorable. I swear he gets better looking with age!

It's a very decent show. It's a nice social anthropological overview of modern gay life. ;) I really like the the portrayal of Patrick's awkwardness and social ineptitude.

What is disappointing though is that as usual, it's all about white middle class beautiful people living in a big city. :blah: But then I guess it it's a tv show so what can you expect? Still, it would be nice to get a gay "The Wire" one day.

mrinalini

Apparently Ellen Page has come out as gay. No big surprise there...

ETA: And oops, apparently dardar has already mentioned it. Sorry, dardar!

PeterG

Was that really their intention though? I thought the colors were to represent each of the Olympic rings. Five fingers, five rings, with the colors matching.

Are we sure that's what they meant PeterG ?

Those are the official Sochi 2014 gloves. :rolleyes:

What's strange about this is that I saved the article on my favourites menu to post later and the link was then gone. But the title of the article remained and I found lots of other sites carrying the same article, which I posted. Weird that the info was available in so many places...but not true... :(

Anita18

It depends!
It's a very decent show. It's a nice social anthropological overview of modern gay life. ;) I really like the the portrayal of Patrick's awkwardness and social ineptitude.

What is disappointing though is that as usual, it's all about white middle class beautiful people living in a big city. :blah: But then I guess it it's a tv show so what can you expect? Still, it would be nice to get a gay "The Wire" one day.
Well for what it's worth, The Wire did have a gay character in it who was a total badass. ;) And a lesbian couple who were totally normal people. But being gay wasn't what the drama was about. I feel like any TV show about drama in relationships require the characters to have money and be comfortable. Otherwise their love lives wouldn't be the main conflict in their lives. :p

AliasJohnDoe

Headcase Addict

Ziggy

The last episode of looking was really lovely. Understated but beautiful, showing the 'getting to know somebody' first part of a relationship in a very sweet way.

Everybody who is saying it's 'boring' can go piss off watch Will & Grace or Friends. This is an HBO show and it's supposed to be more high-brow.

I didn't notice before that it's the guy who wrote "The Weekend" who is the head writer but it makes sense now. I didn't like that film (but then I had very high expectations) but it had some good qualities. The mood that it conjured up, in particular.

AliasJohnDoe

Headcase Addict
The last episode of looking was really lovely. Understated but beautiful, showing the 'getting to know somebody' first part of a relationship in a very sweet way.

Everybody who is saying it's 'boring' can go piss off watch Will & Grace or Friends. This is an HBO show and it's supposed to be more high-brow.

It's one of the first gay-themed relationship shows I can really relate to. HBO is doing a good job with "Looking". I also enjoyed "The L-Word" on Showtime.

dots

I didn't notice before that it's the guy who wrote "The Weekend" who is the head writer but it makes sense now. I didn't like that film (but then I had very high expectations) but it had some good qualities. The mood that it conjured up, in particular.

It really was an understated but beautifully written fifth episode.

Is Richie's cancer prediction a bad omen for this relationship though? I get the feeling the director is trying to tell us something.

Also, it's so true about the old art of "egg cleansing" (that's what they are called) I remember my mother doing it when we were children. :lol: Supposedly the science behind it is that you use the egg to cleanse the bad energy. I'm not saying a believe in it! I'm just telling you what I remember...

The gay sex scene was so sexually graphic and yet no nudity. Odd but I loved it!

dots

A two minute video from the Human Rights Campaign which highlights Americans who are playing a big role in the anti-gay movement in Russia:

Brian Brown: Stop Harming LGBT Russians

The US government should really do something about Americans that go abroad to incite racism and genocide in other parts of the world.

One of those three,Scott Lively, is already standing trial for Crimes against Humanity in US courts.

Article: Historic ruling: Judge orders anti-gay Scott Lively to stand trial for crimes against humanity -

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/historic-ruling-judge-orders-anti-gay-scott-lively-stand-trial-crimes-against-humanity150813

Last edited:

AliasJohnDoe

Headcase Addict
Defiant Ugandan president signs tough anti-gay bill: http://news.yahoo.com/uganda-presid...DMTBsa3ZzMnBvBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--

The bill he signed into law holds that repeat homosexuals should be jailed for life, outlaws the promotion of homosexuality and requires people to denounce gays.

Gay men and women in Uganda face frequent harassment and threats of violence, and rights activists have reported cases of lesbians being subjected to "corrective" rapes.

Corrective rapes?!? :eek:

Last edited:

Ziggy

Corrective rape. When Campaign Against Homophobia did their last report on violence motivated by homophobia over here, there were incidents of "corrective" rapes anonymously reported to the researchers. Of course none of them ended up being reported to the police. :(

On a more cheerful note, another good "Looking" episode. I really hope that the figures were good enough for HBO to continue it beyond the pilot season.

Last edited:

dots

I hope Scott Lively burns in hell along with all of his evangelical/Mormon/Christian thugs. They are partly responsible for what's happening in Uganda.

Doesn't Uganda receive the most financial aid from the American government? Around 400+ million dollars in aid, a year! :eek:

Can't the Obama administration do something about this? Do they even care?

I still remember those courageous Ugandans that formed their own pride parade a few years ago.

http://www.owldolatrous.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Uganda-pride-parade-2012.jpg

They even had a message of hope for LGBT Russians. :fragile: :fragile:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/47058_450939275013985_1878152485_n.jpg

dots

and so it begins... Uganda tabloid outs "100 top homos"

Both Uganda and Nigeria have passed discriminatory laws against their LGBTQ citizens.

May god/light protect them. I have a very bad feeling about this. :fragile:

Artemis@BC

^ Delighted she vetoed, obviously ... but the fact that it was voted for by a majority of state legislators means there's still a big, big problem in that state.

BTW, I don't know if this was mentioned upthread, but Stephen Fry's documentary about homophoba, Out There, included an interview with a Ugandan woman who had been "correctively raped."

Mind-boggling.

Ziggy

Wow that's massive and not what you'd expect from a 'family friendly' company like Disney.

PeterG

Disney has recognized that gays are parts of families for many, many years now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information