Worlds 2024 Rhythm Dance: ‘Dance me to the end of RoLi’

VanillaIce

Watching on YouTube the music feed is dire. Cannot turn the sound up as I would be deafened by Mark (unintelligble anyway) and Tonia competing to see who can talk the most.

skategal

Bunny mama
For those who know lots re dance, and/or were in the arena, how would you rank GilPoir in terms of technical difficulty? To me on Peacock, their choreo seemed simpler than others but I don’t know what to look for beyond the most obvious things
I’m not in super teknik but their RD itself looked excellent and very smooth. Technical difficulty wise it seemed on par. But they were visibly slower than the other top 2 team (and some lower ones) and didn’t seem to attack the program like some of the others.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Watching on YouTube the music feed is dire. Cannot turn the sound up as I would be deafened by Mark (unintelligble anyway) and Tonia competing to see who can talk the most.

I don’t know why proper sound balance is so difficult. :( Happens much too often when you include gymnastics as well.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I noticed at the start of this championships when they started the first live that the music feed was dominant and their voice feed behind. They switched things up but to the detriment of the music feed. I have my tv volume up to 50 just to try and hear the music the way it should be heard. They never got the right balance imo.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I found this when I had to switch to the ISU YouTube feed when Peacock went screwy. I couldn't turn it up enough for the music to really have an impact.

Peacock actually was quite a bit better on that score which is why I kept switching back.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
I’m not in super teknik but their RD itself looked excellent and very smooth. Technical difficulty wise it seemed on par. But they were visibly slower than the other top 2 team (and some lower ones) and didn’t seem to attack the program like some of the others.

Agree, there wasn’t anything “wrong” that I could see. Just the overall impression somehow was slightly less than the top two. I don’t recall thinking they were slow but attack could be it?

AYS

🌻
The word that came to mind when Gilles/Poirier's finished their program was "muted", compared to their usual performances, just a little careful. They actually tied for the highest base score (along with Car/Pom and Smart/D, but GOEs reflected a little less attack and sharpness, I think. Hopefully they'll skate their FD freely.

I'm thrilled with C/B performance, score and placement, which is why I tend to stay out of the dance pbp threads these days(years). :lol: I hope we can see the performance of Pink Floyd they weren't able to put out at nationals.

I'm devastated for B/S - IMO they were dinged far too much on PCS because of the mistake by at least some of those judges, but I guess it wouldn't have made the difference in making the FD with such a point loss. Really great skate for Car/Pom, considering the B/S result (if they knew about it) would have put extra pressure on them.

I'm also really disappointed for the Taschlers. Another devastating mistake.

D/LeMercier continue to improve and impress and loved the all-out we got from LaLa.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Think beyond the word party. You just failed boomerism by not including Sly’s iconic Dance to the Music. And Mama Told Me Not to Come. Personally I’d like to see Hanky Panky because it would be cool to see an ice line dance. :)
I didn't fail because that wasn't the assignment. ;) The assignment was to find songs with the word party in them. I did fail by missing Public Enemy as it fit the requirements. Mea culpa.

🙄 Frau, it says what he did. He went back and edited his post to reflect the actual calls given, which he’s generously been doing for us all season.
And doesn't have to do at all. @skatingguy we salute you!

RD replay is up and it's split into 2 parts. I'm guessing the disaster in the middle happened between pt 1 and pt 2. I find it so weird that there were so many issues after a season of doing this. You'd think everyone would have everything down by now. This suggests that at least some of the issues were due to the venue but then why would the ISU Feed not have glitches? Though the sound mix -- as mentioned -- was horrible.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I keep forgetting to ask this question: why on earth is Paul’s RD costume so subdued and dull? Piper’s is spot on hideous 80s.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I keep forgetting to ask this question: why on earth is Paul’s RD costume so subdued and dull? Piper’s is spot on hideous 80s.

I thought the look was inspired by Robert Palmer.

Ah, that does make sense.
I rewatched their RD last night and while I knew there was an explanation that made sense it didn't stop me from thinking the costume was terrible and really unflattering on Paul. It made him look boxy and didn't match Piper's silhouette at all. I get what they were going for but it didn't make for a good look on the ice and they probably should have revisited that mid-season the way they revisited the color of his FS shirt.

jlai

Question everything
The word that came to mind when Gilles/Poirier's finished their program was "muted", compared to their usual performances, just a little careful. They actually tied for the highest base score (along with Car/Pom and Smart/D, but GOEs reflected a little less attack and sharpness, I think. Hopefully they'll skate their FD freely.

I'm thrilled with C/B performance, score and placement, which is why I tend to stay out of the dance pbp threads these days(years). :lol: I hope we can see the performance of Pink Floyd they weren't able to put out at nationals.

I'm devastated for B/S - IMO they were dinged far too much on PCS because of the mistake by at least some of those judges, but I guess it wouldn't have made the difference in making the FD with such a point loss. Really great skate for Car/Pom, considering the B/S result (if they knew about it) would have put extra pressure on them.

D/LeMercier continue to improve and impress and loved the all-out we got from LaLa

D/LeMercier continue to improve and impress and loved the all-out we got from LaLa.
I and a couple others at the arena agreed with you. B/s looked so powerful and covered so much ice that they should have gotten 75 + if it weren’t for the fall and with it, it shouldn’t have dropped to 65. 68 is more like it. They would have made the fd. Skating order and reputation really make a difference.

Ah well, hope b/s keeps working hard and gets another chance to shine

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
For whatever reason, the judges were simply not having any errors this time. They were hard on Smart/Dieck, too.
Yeah, the errors in the FD really sunk SmaDie, same as the errors in the RD really cost FBSoer, the Taschlers and BraSom.

Former Lurve Goddess

Agree, there wasn’t anything “wrong” that I could see. Just the overall impression somehow was slightly less than the top two. I don’t recall thinking they were slow but attack could be it?
More generally, this particular RD and many of Gil/Poi's other RDs seem to prioritize flash over substance, and they often chose RD music that doesn't do them any favours (why oh why did they chose some of Elton John's worst songs for their Olympic season RD?). They're the kind of team that needs out of the box music choices and program concepts. When they go too generic/mainstream, their weaknesses stand out more.

zigzig

I disagree about this RD -- they did something different and they did a lot of fun things with it. It had no less substance than, say, the dozen Prince RDs this year, and it was refreshingly unique.
I still can't believe we made it thru an entire 80s season without hearing OMD, Depeche Mode, When in Rome, Toto, GoGos, Alphaville, etc

I guess my 80s were very different than these choreographers.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I still can't believe we made it thru an entire 80s season without hearing OMD, Depeche Mode, When in Rome, Toto, GoGos, Alphaville, etc

I'm still sad that no one RickRolled us with their program music. Even just skating to Never Gonna Give You Up in general would have been very fun.

Former Lurve Goddess

This GenX fan can't believe it either. And no Smiths, Violent Femmes, Pogues, David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Kate Bush, Suzanne Vega, etc, etc. And no Canadian teams went for Canadian 80s. Did none of the Canuck choreographers grow up watching Video Hits, Much Music or Musique Plus? I super appreciated Lopareva and Brissaud for going out of the box with their music selection. Plus I had hair just like hers at one point in the 80s.:)

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
This GenX fan can't believe it either. And no Smiths, the Violent Femmes, the Pogues, David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Kate Bush, Suzanne Vega, etc, etc. I super appreciated Lopareva and Brissaud for going out of the box in their music selection. Plus I had hair just like hers at one point in the 80s.:)
You guys were the cool GenXers. My then-step kids listened to MJ, Wham, Journey, Madonna etc. I was Springsteen, Tom Petty and REM but I was a Boomer with GenX step kids.

Former Lurve Goddess

And again, I have to point out this was the perfect opportunity for a Canadian Corey Hart RD wirh sunglasses at night / never surrender. Oh well....
Also Men Without Hats the Safety Dance (the synchronized skaters performed to it in the opening ceremonies), Mitsou Bye Bye Mon Cowboy, Celine Dion’s early French hits. Plus a ton of other Quebecois acts that were big locally in the 80s. Surely someone at IAM must have been a Musique Plus watcher.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
This GenX fan can't believe it either. And no Smiths, Violent Femmes, Pogues, David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Kate Bush, Suzanne Vega, etc, etc.
I saw some David Bowie and Kate Bush, but from lower ranked junior teams (I don't think they even made the JGP). Definitely a lot of safe/predictable choices from the top to middling tier teams, but overall I enjoyed the 80s RDs more than last season's latin dances. Using the bones of the silver samba instead of the short axis for the choreographic rhythm sequence helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information