The Dance Hall 10: The Saitama Samba 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

deegee

i was reading something on social media this morning that mentioned salma hayek's role in the fim frida. it made me go to youtube to look for del/schoes freedance to the soundtrack. i had just started paying closer attention to ice dance during this time period and had zero clues about ice dance technique or requirements, etc. watching it today, i suddenly realized that d/s performed 2 dance spins and 2 twizzle sequences... were these requirements back then or were dancers allowed to put the same elements multiple times in their fd's? this also made me miss closed-hold step sequences in two different patterns (looks like diagonal and circular in this fd):

VGThuy

i was reading something on social media this morning that mentioned salma hayek's role in the fim frida. it made me go to youtube to look for del/schoes freedance to the soundtrack. i had just started paying closer attention to ice dance during this time period and had zero clues about ice dance technique or requirements, etc. watching it today, i suddenly realized that d/s performed 2 dance spins and 2 twizzle sequences... were these requirements back then or were dancers allowed to put the same elements multiple times in their fd's? this also made me miss closed-hold step sequences in two different patterns (looks like diagonal and circular in this fd):

Those were the requirements back then. The initial IJS requirements were TOUGH. Those programs from 2005 to 06 were busy and not in the good way. If you watch all of 2005 Worlds FD, you'll see what a sluggish struggle most teams' performances were, but DelSchoe's "Frida" was a huge highlight of that period.

Rhumba d’Amour

Those were the requirements back then. The initial IJS requirements were TOUGH. Those programs from 2005 to 06 were busy and not in the good way. If you watch all of 2005 Worlds FD, you'll see what a sluggish struggle most teams' performances were, but DelSchoe's "Frida" was a huge highlight of that period.
I always felt that Delobel/Schoenfelder were very much underrated and that their programs were exceptionally creative.

deegee

i watched the broadcast of the fd competition at the time, but i really was such a newbie to ice dance that i didn't catch all the required elements. i'll have to rewatch some of the other fd's later.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The DelSchoes should have won a 2006 Olympic medal.
Among many other medals. I've repeated myself so many times but here I go again- 2005-2010 IJS is just so unwatchable in so many ways. The PCS scoring was trash and everyone was boxed in to certain maximums, the initial GOE scoring made it really difficult to separate the well-done elements from the average elements, and the program requirements (and what earned higher levels) for all disciplines was just ridiculous most of the time.

Torino aside from the OD fall-fest was just a mess.

VGThuy

Somehow, 2007 and 2008 Worlds still provided ice dance programs I loved to watch. Then things changed after that and I didn't enjoy ice dance that much until after the 2013-14 season.

deegee

Somehow, 2007 and 2008 Worlds still provided ice dance programs I loved to watch. Then things changed after that and I didn't enjoy ice dance that much until after the 2013-14 season.
i think this was pretty much my experience, too. there's was a point where i really zoned out of figure skating all together except for some highlights here and there.

Taso

I felt very similarly about those eras of dance

clairecloutier

I’m sure the IJS complaints are valid, but I still really enjoyed 2005-2010 ice dance, there was a lot of talent and so many interesting couples at that time, Delobel/Schoenfelder among them. I still have great memories of a lot of the dances from that time period. To me it was much better than 1998-2002, when there were some very very mediocre and uninteresting teams toward the top of the rankings, and also a lot of boring free dances (IMO).

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Kaitlin seemed to have so many struggles with that knee; I wonder if they should have sat out a while and concentrated on getting it better, but maybe they were afraid they couldn't petition successfully to Worlds if they did it. Best wishes to them. And best wishes to Christina and Anthony at Worlds!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
It's a major disappointment for them to not be able to go to Worlds after the promising way their season started, but it's also a great opportunity for CarPon and I hope they can manage a top 10 finish. :)

Karen-W

So, with the results from Challenge Cup yesterday and today, Spain has qualified with Val/Kazimov and the Worlds field is set at somewhere between 31-33 teams, depending on whether or not 1) Wang/Liu are healthy enough to compete and, if not, whether or not one of their other two dance teams with the TES mins have the correct passports to be sent to Japan, and 2) the status of Mazingue/Gaidajenko who are back on the ice with careful, limited daily training. I know they've been working on some parts of their programs per Solene's IG posts, but no idea if Worlds next month is a goal or if they're just going to keep their FD for next season instead.

As it is, there will be either 16 or 17 seeded teams for the RD and they should split out like this:
Seeded 1-5 - Guignard/Fabbri, Fear/Gibson, Chock/Bates, Gilles/Poirier, Fournier Beaudry/Soerensen
Seeded 6-10 - Green/Parsons, Turkkila/Versluis, Carreira/Ponomarenko, Reed/Ambrulevicius, Lopareva/Brissaud
Seeded 11-15 - Muramoto/Takahashi, Taschlerova/Taschler, Demougeot/Le Mercier, Harris/Chan, Kazakova/Reviya
Seeded 16 (and possibly 17) - Janse van Rensburg/Steffan, Ignateva/Szemko

Unseeded - Wang/Liu, Manni/Roethlisberger, Lafond-Fournier/Kam, Polibina/Golovishnikov, Dupayage/Nabais, Simova/Aksenov (if they're sent rather than Pucherova/Lysak), Nosovitskaya/Nosovitskiy, Holubtsova/Bielobrov, Ramanauskaite/Kizala, Pucherova/Lysak (if they get the Worlds assignment over Simova/Aksenov), Mazingue/Gaidajenko, Ipolito/Russell, Nauryzova/Datiev, Carhart/Kolosovskyi

Unranked - Shilling/Baeten, Val/Kazimov, Verhaegh/van Geffen

Last edited:

Dobre

Kaitlin seemed to have so many struggles with that knee; I wonder if they should have sat out a while and concentrated on getting it better
Well, they are doing that now. If the knee injury is as serious as a lot of them, the end of the season would likely have been lost even had they taken off time earlier. If the knee injury is not that serious, it's still important for them to get healthy. It is a shame they won't be competing the humorous RD and that we won't have the chance to see if they could crack the top 5. (I do think that was doable). Fingers crossed that they will be back, healthy and motivated next season. Albeit not without real competition at home.

Dobre

Cross-posting Hawayek's statement from the H/B thread:
^^^ Worth copying out in full here, IMO!
:respec:

Hi everyone, I’ve been taking some intentional space from social media over the past two months, but I wanted to share this moment in my journey with you all as you’ve been so supportive of Jean-Luc and I over the course of our career thus far. As many of you have seen and followed, Jean-Luc and I have made some tough decisions the past few months to sit out the remainder of our competitive season for personal reasons. As an athlete, we are taught to push past physical and mental challenges, because that’s what “tough competitors” do.

Many people don’t know that during the Olympic season, I not only experienced a significant concussion, but I also fully tore my ACL in the same training incident. The athlete mentality came into full force as I my dream of going to the Olympic’s was so close to achieving and at that moment, pushing myself to return in time for the season was not a question in my mind.

This past year, I have continued to face significant post-concussive challenges that put me in constant pain and limitation to how I could live my life outside training, and as the months past and I pushed through, anxiety and depression really began to have an impact on my life that felt too large to just push through and continue to ignore in order to live the “tough competitor” mentality.

It’s never easy to make a decision to press pause, especially when from the outside, the season had been going so well, but I made the decision to prioritize my mental health and at the moment this is still a work in progress. The past few months have been full of tough moments but I am making steps day by day to be a whole-hearted and healthy version of Kaitlin that I am eager to discover. I am so grateful for the support my family, Jean-Luc and my team here in Montreal have provided me as I step into a new focus of prioritizing my well-being as a person first, and letting the process of being a competitive athlete come second. Our competitive aspirations are still there, and Jean-Luc and I are putting our focus onto next season, allowing myself to take the time now to get my physical and mental health to where it needs to be to continue to perform with the same authenticity and love that we value so much in what we put out on the ice. Much love and thank you everyone for the support,

Kaitlin

Gris

不做奴才做公民
So, with the results from Challenge Cup yesterday and today, Spain has qualified with Val/Kazimov and the Worlds field is set at somewhere between 31-33 teams, depending on whether or not 1) Wang/Liu are healthy enough to compete and, if not, whether or not one of their other two dance teams with the TES mins have the correct passports to be sent to Japan, and 2) the status of Mazingue/Gaidajenko who are back on the ice with careful, limited daily training. I know they've been working on some parts of their programs per Solene's IG posts, but no idea if Worlds next month is a goal or if they're just going to keep their FD for next season instead.

Chen / Xing are listed instead of Wang / Liu - hope there won't be visa problems this time. Mazingue / Gaidajenko are listed and Simova / Aksenov are the Slovakian entry.

yurokis40

Tech panel for ice dance junior worlds a canadian, brit and american the mrazeks have no chance against bashynska and beaumont unless they make a major error.

yurokis40

The event is in canada do people really believe a small fed czeckia can beat the undefeated b&b at home this event will prove that scores from different events when your main competition is not there are totally meaningless.

Karen-W

Carol lane and Peter Beaumont are british, Carol lane is good friends with Hilary Selby.
okie-dokie. I'll be sure to keep an eye out over in pairs later on for Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore to have some insane advantage because Peter Cain is on the tech panel and he's Australian and all that...

I mean, let's just assume that none of these people have any ethical standards whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information