Tarasova/Morozov Cheer Thread

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
If they’re allowed to compete next year, Russia will be down to one spot at worlds. T/M could end up with it or not. It could be two years before they’re able to compete again in championships.
I wouldn't worry about it right now. Wait and see what happens.

Fadeevfanboy

I don't see that happening. The sanctions are there for a reason. When the reason disappears, sanctions will too. Nothing is permanent.

I just wish Russia would stop doing stupid things. Both the greater things they are doing in the real world today, and the stupid things they keep doing in the sporting world like adults doping little girls (Valieva) or even doping in silly things like mixed curling (2018 mixed curling bronze medalists stripped for doping, WTF). Every country has some dopers, but this is ridiculous. There are so many great Russians and Russian athletes who want to and can compete clean and properly, like Evgenia and Vladimir, or the great Alex Bolshunov, and these idiots put a cloud above them repeatedly.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I just wish Russia would stop doing stupid things. Both the greater things they are doing in the real world today, and the stupid things they keep doing in the sporting world like adults doping little girls (Valieva) or even doping in silly things like mixed curling (2018 mixed curling bronze medalists stripped for doping, WTF). Every country has some dopers, but this is ridiculous. There are so many great Russians and Russian athletes who want to and can compete clean and properly, like Evgenia and Vladimir, or the great Alex Bolshunov, and these idiots put a cloud above them repeatedly.
Can we please stick to the cheer thread for TM and leave out the discussion on doping? I think it is being discussed in many other threads.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Last edited:

Amy L

Trankov quote from Match TV:

“They are at an age when this decision will have to be made sooner or later, whether to continue or end their career. The final decision will be when it becomes clear what our ambitions are in sports: if there is no World Championship, European Championship, there is no point in continuing."

Not surprising, especially for skaters who are already pushing 30. They can't wait around for years waiting on decisions they have nothing to do with. The longer Putin drags things out, the more likely their retirement will be :(

aka_gerbil

In the few days after the Olympics, I thought this might finally be the worlds for them. I guess it just wasn’t meant to be. I just can’t see this ending anytime soon or, even if it does, that Russians would be welcomed back to participation in international sports.

clairecloutier

I have to agree that, with the current situation, it seems likely that T/M will decide to retire soon.

I am personally really sad that we will not get to see them at Worlds. Although I agree overall with the exclusion of the Russian skaters from the event, I do very much regret that this means T/M will not be there. :cry:

soogar

Trankov quote from Match TV:

“They are at an age when this decision will have to be made sooner or later, whether to continue or end their career. The final decision will be when it becomes clear what our ambitions are in sports: if there is no World Championship, European Championship, there is no point in continuing."

Not surprising, especially for skaters who are already pushing 30. They can't wait around for years waiting on decisions they have nothing to do with. The longer Putin drags things out, the more likely their retirement will be :(
It seems kind of rash. It will probably depend on whether this will clear up in time for next season. I don't see Russia being banned for years from sport. Even if it did drag on, they may benefit from a break and may return if their health and personal circumstances allow. I just hopt that they can still make money in Russian. News reports in the US make it seem as if Russia has no money, however I don't know how true they really are.

aka_gerbil

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
In the few days after the Olympics, I thought this might finally be the worlds for them. I guess it just wasn’t meant to be. I just can’t see this ending anytime soon or, even if it does, that Russians would be welcomed back to participation in international sports.
For no fault of theirs. They are not politicians. They just skate to represent their country, like other athletes do.

angi

For no fault of theirs. They are not politicians. They just skate to represent their country, like other athletes do.
They were used as propaganda just today in a rally, they are not politicians but they and every other Russian athlete are used as pawns in the Russian political machine. Maybe they had no choice and maybe they were there willingly, either way, let's not pretend "They just skate to represent their country, like other athletes do" because just today we saw it's clearly way more than that.
I'm a big fan and I would have loved for them to win the gold, but there's no doubt in my mind banning them was the necessary move.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Exactly where will the rubles to buy tickets come from?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I was rooting for them in Beijing but I sadly withdraw my fandom. They are adults who have traveled the world and been exposed to other POV. Allowing themselves to be used at the Nuremberg rally is beyond the pale.
They live in a dictatorship. They don't have the kind of freedom we take for granted. If they are told (more like ordered) to do something they cannot just say no. They could have been misled or lied to or even threatened. Threats are often veiled. I am sure they understand what they must do, or else...

Earlier they had spoken up against the war. We don't know the whole situation, so at least I am not going to judge them based on their attendance at a rally. We do know that the Russian population is being lied to about the war. There is propaganda to make them believe whatever Putin wants them to. Even if they see through him and know the truth, they don't have the freedom to speak up against him. It could be very dangerous to them and their families. It is Putin and Russia, not Biden and the US.

The real enemy is Putin, who is the most dangerous man. The Russian population, including the athletes are victims. Of course they are not in the kind of danger the Ukrainian population is, at present. Still, they deserve understanding, not hatred. They have to do what is necessary to survive where they are.

The possibility of a prolonged war scares me. It needs to end ASAP, or more lives will be lost. I am sure some people understand what is going on but they are helpless against a ruthless dictator.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Unless we discover and verify that they or their families were threatened, the logical assumption is that they were there either because they wanted to be or because they shrugged and said it's part of the job. I'm not going to be a fan of anyone who makes that determination no matter how much I like their skating, there are excuses for lots of things but not this. YMMV.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I was rooting for them in Beijing but I sadly withdraw my fandom. They are adults who have traveled the world and been exposed to other POV. Allowing themselves to be used at the Nuremberg rally is beyond the pale.
No $hit!

Yehudi

AITA
Unless we discover and verify that they or their families were threatened, the logical assumption is that they were there either because they wanted to be or because they shrugged and said it's part of the job. I'm not going to be a fan of anyone who makes that determination no matter how much I like their skating, there are excuses for lots of things but not this. YMMV.
I mean Russia has dozens of medalists across all sports and these are the ones they landed on?

Fadeevfanboy

They live in a dictatorship. They don't have the kind of freedom we take for granted. If they are told (more like ordered) to do something they cannot just say no.
100% this
I mean I agree we don't know if their families were threatened or something like that, but equally as much we don't know that they weren't or some sort of strong arming with ultimatums of sorts. I think in that instance it is best to give them the benefit of doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information