Painted faces, fill the places I can't reach

You know that I could use somebody

Someone like you, and all you know, and how you speak
Countless lovers under cover of the street

Someone like you

Okay, we get it. You like to use people. Your parents must be proud.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
This thread brought back some bad memories. Three I can't stand are:

"One Tin Soldier" by The Original Caste
"Hair" and "Aquarius" from the musical Hair
"Honey" - Bobby Goldsboro

HOW could I have forgotten "Honey?" I was a soppy teenager but not that soppy. Yuck.

On the other hand, the song about the girl who got creamed by a train because she ran back to get his ring made me laugh and cry at the same time.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Gangnam style. Dumb song. Even dumber dance moves. I wanted to stab myself in the ear every time I heard that stupid piece of slop.
I work with a guy who still likes to use that song to demo speakers to customers. I told him if he kept playing it I would confiscate his iPod.

The worst though was when the staff from one of the other stores in our chain did a video to the song changing the lyrics to go along with our products and the name of our store instead of Gangnam Style it was LD Style. I'm just glad it was only used as an internal thing.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
I guess I just never understood why people thought galloping was a dance move, enough to emulate it. LOL

leesaleesa

"Photograph" by Nickelback. The lyrics are so stupid and their lead singer's voice is so awful. But the worst part was that for about three years after it came out, I had to endure it as the soundtrack for countless "senior slide shows". And that school loved a "senior slide show". There was one for every sport (shown at pep rallies) and activity and two or three separate ones at graduation time.

The video for "Photograph" is so cheesy. Shoving a photograph at the camera rasping "look at this photograph!!!" Isn't literal and lame at all.

Speaking of Nickelcrap songs which suck (and they are legion), that one about being a big rock star so you can "Hang out in the coolest bars" is remarkably bad.

There is a song from around 2006 called "Parylyzer" which whines about hanging out in a pretentious club that always made me turn the volume down, violently. They should leave that pretentious club and hang out with Nickelcrap in the (un) coolest bars.

Karina1974

gkelly

I like hearing different artists' versions of the same song.

Do you think some songs are overused and there should be a moratorium on anyone else recording them? ;)

VGThuy

Kingston Trio did it first, in 1963, (not 1964 like the You Tube vid says). They also recorded "The First Time" over a decade before Roberta Flack did, in 1962. Here is their version of "Seasons":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLfRtK0oxYE

Contrast that with Terry Jacks sounding like he got stoned and drunk the night before the recording session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tPcc1ftj8E

I wonder what you think of the various Nirvana covers. Although he sang it with some irony, apparently the song resonated with Kurt Cobain.

I know! This song is filled with such rage and fire...so scary!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Even that song title is pure poetry.

Lilia A

Man it's been good reading this thread :lol:

It's hard for me to really detest a song, because I can listen to just about anything. Having said that, among the songs I can't stand are:

We are never ever getting back together by Taylor Swift. I don't know, it just annoys the heck out of me.
Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen
Anything by Bieber, especially "Baby" (I simply can't STAND it)

I don't hate "Hello" by Adele, but I agree it's not as good as some people claim.

Oh, another rather popular song I never cared for is "All About That Bass" by Meghan Trainor.

Kecasyl

The video for "Photograph" is so cheesy. Shoving a photograph at the camera rasping "look at this photograph!!!" Isn't literal and lame at all.

Speaking of Nickelcrap songs which suck (and they are legion), that one about being a big rock star so you can "Hang out in the coolest bars" is remarkably bad.

There is a song from around 2006 called "Parylyzer" which whines about hanging out in a pretentious club that always made me turn the volume down, violently. They should leave that pretentious club and hang out with Nickelcrap in the (un) coolest bars.

Paralyzer-Finger Eleven (2007). I agree and hate it lol!

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Man it's been good reading this thread :lol:

Oh, another rather popular song I never cared for is "All About That Bass" by Meghan Trainor.

Sweet Judas Priest - that is in the top three most annoying songs I have ever heard. :scream:

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
All About that Bass was so aggravating because everyone was all "ooh, she's empowering larger girls," conveniently ignoring the line about "skinny bitches," once again pitting girls against other girls.

And Kohl's used to play a weirdly censored version of the song, which changed, among other lyrics, "boys like a little more booty to hold at night" to "boys like a girl for the beauty she holds inside."

Last edited:

quartz

scratching at the light
In case people here do not read the "What Song Are You Listening to" thread - just finished listening to American Top 40 - the 70's. They've done the top songs of 1974 the past two weeks. Seasons in the Sun (Terry Jacks, of course) was the number two song for the whole year!!
I wasn't allowed to listen to the radio in 1974, but I took a look at the top 100 songs of that year. There are several I am not familiar with and of those I do know, I don't really care for very many.
Of that list, my favorite, by miles, is #79, Mike Oldfields "Tubular Bells".
Rankings on a "best of" list is never an indicator for me in liking a song. Generally, the more popular a song, the less I tend to like it!

Susan1

I wasn't allowed to listen to the radio in 1974, but I took a look at the top 100 songs of that year. There are several I am not familiar with and of those I do know, I don't really care for very many.
Of that list, my favorite, by miles, is #79, Mike Oldfields "Tubular Bells".
Rankings on a "best of" list is never an indicator for me in liking a song. Generally, the more popular a song, the less I tend to like it!

But we bought the 45s after we heard a song on the radio, which moved them up the charts.

I remember not liking most of the bottom half of 1974 last week (I'll have to go look at a list) - it seemed like most of them were songs that would have been featured on Soul Train. Precursor to disco?

Loved Tubular Bells though. Such a pretty song to be associated with such a scary movie.

Cachoo

I never liked "Slow Ride" by Foghat but nearly choked on my soda when my cousin told me it was to be their prom theme. I thought that was hilarious.

PeterG

Pretty much any Eminem track. Rihanna can save an Eminem track (Love The Way You Lie, The Monster), but either song would be much more listenable without Eminem present. Two of his solo songs that make me want to run to the radio to smash it include Just Lose It and Lose Yourself. Although the latter did win "best song" at the Oscars... :shuffle: :rolleyes: And how about some of Eminem's album tracks, such as "Kim", a song to his wife which includes these lyrics:

Don't make me wake this baby
She don't need to see what I'm about to do
Quit crying, bitch, why do you always make me shout at you?
How could you?
Just leave me and love him out the blue
Oh, what's the matter Kim?
Am I too loud for you?
Too bad, bitch, you're gonna finally hear me out this time

...and concludes with these heartwarming lyrics:

Ha! Go ahead, yell!
Here I'll scream with you!
AH, SOMEBODY HELP!
Don't you get it, bitch, no one can hear you?
Now shut the **** up and get what's coming to you
You were supposed to love me
[Kim choking]
NOW BLEED! BITCH, BLEED!
BLEED! BITCH, BLEED! BLEED!

Jay42

Between the click of the light

Paralyzer-Finger Eleven (2007). I agree and hate it lol!
I work with a couple of teenagers who just love this song. We have a work iPod to demo our bluetooth speakers and they like to play this song and every time I will go to fast forward it and every time they will get annoyed with me and ask me why I don't like such a good song. I usually say something along the lines of "I didn't fast forward a good song" then walk away.
Pretty much any Eminem track. Rihanna can save an Eminem track (Love The Way You Lie, The Monster), but either song would be much more listenable without Eminem present.
In the realm of Eminem songs that don't make me want to throw things, Won't Back Down with P!nk is pretty good too.

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
I'm glad to hear that Wonderful Christmas Time is hated by so many people. If Paul McCartney wasn't a former Beatle, there's no way anybody would think those inane and generic lyrics would make for a Christmas "classic".

The part I revile the most is the ridiculous synthesizer, which ends up looping and interfering with its own "melody" as the song progresses. Seriously, did Paul McCartney just record himself smashing an open palm randomly on a keyboard and say "This sounds good, maybe I'll make a holiday song out of it!"

I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas. There are no words for how much I despise that song.

I hate this song too, and I deal with it by remembering that hippopotami are one of the most dangerous and deadliest animals in Africa and that they have the most vicious sharts ever, and imagine how that whiny kid is in for a really big surprise when he/she finds out how hippos really are in real life :EVILLE:

gk_891

Too many to name! But off the top of my head:

Most of Madonna's music but especially Like a Virgin and Material Girl. I think both songs are annoying and at that time her squeaky voice was annoying too.

I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston. I didn't mind Dolly Parton's version but I thought Whitney's was over the top.

You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette. Her voice grates on my nerves, especially in this song.

I'm a Genie in a Bottle by Christina Aguilera. Not a fan of Xtina although she's had some ok songs. This wasn't one of them IMO. I though it was stupid.

Almost all of Lady Gaga's songs. Ditto with Justin Bieber, Britney Spears, and Janet Jackson. I actually dislike most of Michael Jackson's songs too (as legendary as he is).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information