Songs You Dislike and/or Detest

Susan1

Too many to name! But off the top of my head:

Most of Madonna's music but especially Like a Virgin and Material Girl. I think both songs are annoying and at that time her squeaky voice was annoying too.

I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston. I didn't mind Dolly Parton's version but I thought Whitney's was over the top.

You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette. Her voice grates on my nerves, especially in this song.

I'm a Genie in a Bottle by Christina Aguilera. Not a fan of Xtina although she's had some ok songs. This wasn't one of them IMO. I though it was stupid.

Almost all of Lady Gaga's songs. Ditto with Justin Bieber, Britney Spears, and Janet Jackson. I actually dislike most of Michael Jackson's songs too (as legendary as he is).

Gotta agree with you on all these. (Even though I don't know some of the more current ones' songs. I don't listen to popular music = I don't like them = I don't listen to them = .........)

However, I love "Used to be my Playground" (from A League of Their Own) by Madonna. She actually SINGS it.

gk_891

Gotta agree with you on all these. (Even though I don't know some of the more current ones' songs. I don't listen to popular music = I don't like them = I don't listen to them = .........)

However, I love "Used to be my Playground" (from A League of Their Own) by Madonna. She actually SINGS it.

Yeah, 'some' of Madonna's 90s music was a bit more tolerable (to my biased ears anyways). I actually kind of sort of like Secret which I think is from the early 90s. It had an R&B vibe to it that I didn't mind. As for Xtina, I didn't mind a couple of her songs from her Back to Basics album which were kind of retro. And later on, she did this one song called You Lost Me where she actually holds back on belting out every single note (although I think it tanked commercially).

Another singer I can't stand is Mariah Carey. I don't question her vocal talent when she was younger but I usually tune her out after the first 20-30 seconds of her songs.

gkelly

I like Paralyzer too.

Sometimes a melody, or the sound of the singer's voice or the instrumentation, or whatever, just clicks with you, or alternatively just rubs you the wrong way, regardless of whether it's a "good" song by any generally agreed-on criteria.

Same with skaters. Many of my favorites are not medal contenders, and vice versa.

Cachoo

I never liked "Slow Ride" by Foghat but nearly choked on my soda when my cousin told me it was to be their prom theme. I thought that was hilarious.

I posted this yesterday and thought a lot about my cousin and her hard life and her sweetness at the core. And I just found out she died yesterday. I still don't know the circumstances but I'm glad I thought about her. She's at peace.

VGThuy

I always thought a lot of Madonna's 90s stuff and even up to mid 2000s was way better and more interesting and daring musically than her most popular pop stuff from the 80s. Erotica is one of my favorite albums for that early 90s urban house sound and for how ambitious it was.

quartz

scratching at the light
I'm not a fan of Madonna's voice, but I do like some if her early stuff to dance to. It lends itself well to cheesy 80's posing which is a lot of fun. :D :shuffle:

gk_891

I always thought a lot of Madonna's 90s stuff and even up to mid 2000s was way better and more interesting and daring musically than her most popular pop stuff from the 80s. Erotica is one of my favorite albums for that early 90s urban house sound and for how ambitious it was.

Same here although I wouldn't say I particularly liked any of her 90s stuff per se. I can't think of anything she did after 2000. Did she have any hits in the 2000s?

gk_891

I'm not a fan of Madonna's voice, but I do like some if her early stuff to dance to. It lends itself well to cheesy 80's posing which is a lot of fun. :D :shuffle:

I think a lot of fans are in the same camp as you. I know lots of people who love her 80s stuff but hate her stuff from the 90s onwards.

PeterG

Same here although I wouldn't say I particularly liked any of her 90s stuff per se. I can't think of anything she did after 2000. Did she have any hits in the 2000s?

A few.

#1 - Music (2000)

#3 - 4 Minutes (2008)

#4 - Don't Tell Me (2000)

#7 - Hung Up (2005)

#8 - Die Another Day (2002)

#10 - Gimme All Your Loving (2012)

#23 - What It Feels Like For A Girl (2001)

#29 - American Pie (2000)

#35 - Me Against The Music (2003)

#37 - American Life (2003)

Other singles didn't do well in the U.S., but were hits in the U.K.:

Hollywood (#2)
Love Profusion (#11)
Sorry (#1)
Get Together (#7)
Jump (#9)
Give It 2 Me (#7)
Miles Away (#39)
Celebration (#3)
Living For Love (#26)

But who's counting? :)

gk_891

A few.

#1 - Music (2000)

#3 - 4 Minutes (2008)

#4 - Don't Tell Me (2000)

#7 - Hung Up (2005)

#8 - Die Another Day (2002)

#10 - Gimme All Your Loving (2012)

#23 - What It Feels Like For A Girl (2001)

#29 - American Pie (2000)

#35 - Me Against The Music (2003)

#37 - American Life (2003)

Other singles didn't do well in the U.S., but were hits in the U.K.:

Hollywood (#2)
Love Profusion (#11)
Sorry (#1)
Get Together (#7)
Jump (#9)
Give It 2 Me (#7)
Miles Away (#39)
Celebration (#3)
Living For Love (#26)

But who's counting? :)

The only 3 that I recognize there are Music (which was ok), Die Another Day (forgettable), and American Pie (I hated it). But overall I guess she's been doing ok since the 90s.

Other songs I hate in general are Friday, that Taylor Swift song about never getting together (or something along those lines), Who Let the Dogs Out, Do They Know It's Christmas, and Beautiful Day. I actually don't hate the last one but I think it's badly overrated as U2 has done better work IMO.

Last edited:

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
I can't stand Taylor Swift in general, but the chorus of Bad Blood is especially grating to me. When I first heard it on the radio, I thought "Wow, who wrote this annoying piece of dreck?" before I learned that it was by Taylor Swift.

Speaking of terrible lyricists, here's another brilliant piece of songwriting by Echosmith:
I wish that I could be like the cool kids
'Cause all the cool kids, they seem to fit in
I wish that I could be like the cool kids
Like the cool kids Like the cool kids
Friggin' genius.

quartz

scratching at the light
We have Adele's latest cd at the bookstore. I am surprised to see that it contains eleven songs.
Sounds like one song. It's very boring, and I am going to put Journey's Greatest Hits on now instead.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
A friend of mine told me that the new Adele was like Alanis Morissette's first album, and I know someone upthread said they hated You Outta Know, but I had just had a terrible break up and he had blithely moved on quickly and that song just resonated with me at the time.

Anyway, so I previewed Adele and I don't know what sort of drugs my friend was on, but I thought they all sound like variations of Hello. Which does not sound like early Alanis. At all.

PeterG

A friend of mine told me that the new Adele was like Alanis Morissette's first album, and I know someone upthread said they hated You Outta Know, but I had just had a terrible break up and he had blithely moved on quickly and that song just resonated with me at the time.

Anyway, so I previewed Adele and I don't know what sort of drugs my friend was on, but I thought they all sound like variations of Hello. Which does not sound like early Alanis. At all.

I love Alanis' first album. Re-watching the second single from that album, Walk Away, I was surprised to see Matt LeBlanc (Friends) playing her love interest. Feel Your Love is really good as well. All of the songs on Alanis' first album are really good though. :respec:

clairecloutier

All About that Bass was so aggravating because everyone was all "ooh, she's empowering larger girls," conveniently ignoring the line about "skinny bitches," once again pitting girls against other girls.

Yeah, I found that song annoying, too. Because, for one thing, she wasn't empowering larger women in general. She was empowering women with big butts. Which is different than women who are larger overall. And that line about her mom telling her that boys like more booty---that bugs me. (Firstly, because it implies the important thing is what men want; secondly, the idea of the mom telling her daughter how to be sexier is a little weird, I guess because in my Catholic background, that is NOT a conversation my mom & I would've ever had :lol:).

I did not find that song empowering to women at all. I felt it was just exchanging one sexist female body image (super-thin) for another (super-big-assed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information