Songs You Dislike and/or Detest

Susan1

Right, but if you look at the bottom right hand corner of every post there are three buttons "Like", "+Quote" and "Reply". If you press "+Quote" of every post you want to comment on when you finally come to reply they will all be in one post which makes it easier on everyone trying to read a thread.

Thanks. I'll make a note for the next time I think I might want to reply to more than one post in a thread in a 45 minute period.

skatefan

Home in England
'I want a hippopotamus for Christmas' was played on the radio request spot yesterday evening, and today the caller was a woman who said 'Christmas wouldn't be Christmas' without Stevie Nicks' Silent Night ... (apparently it's played non stop in New Zealand where the caller used to live) Never heard either before - the hippo song was kind of funny first time of hearing but Stevie Nicks :eek: :scream::scream: So the question is, which one of you is calling BBC Radio Drivetime and asking for these songs :lol:

Cachoo

I've always disliked "Can't Smile Without You" but I have to admit for enjoying it's use (and the reaction) in "Four Weddings and A Funeral."

Andrushka

I've had it with "Happy" but my youngest likes it.
And I'm not fond of "Hello" it's just....I'm not into Adele's heart broken ballads.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
@Badams and @PeterG are dead to me for dissing Sweet Child of Mine!! ;)

I still haven't heard "Hello" by Adele :shuffle:

Adding on to the Christmas song hate, "Do they know it's Christmas?" is utterly feebleminded, and freaking arrogant as hell. No snow in Africa? You're talking a WHOLE FREAKING CONTINENT here, of course there is snow there! Nothing ever grows? No rains or rivers flow? Bullsh*t people! Yes, you are all so generous to take one or two days out of your multi-million dollar lives to make a song that is going to save the world, oh no, wait, feed the world. Uh, but yeah, here we are 30 years later and people are still starving to death, in Africa and every other continent. Move on already.

And how can @PRlady be dissin' on the 70s, which brought us THIS gem?! ;)

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Sweet Child of Mine was far and away my least favourite Guitar Hero song. I would get so bored trying to play it because much like Hey Jude, it just doesn't end. I understand how much fun the eternal songs are live, I totally get it, but for the love of all that is good in the world make the album versions a reasonable length.

TheGirlCanSkate

Sweet Child of Mine was far and away my least favourite Guitar Hero song. I would get so bored trying to play it because much like Hey Jude, it just doesn't end. I understand how much fun the eternal songs are live, I totally get it, but for the love of all that is good in the world make the album versions a reasonable length.
Ha ha ha!!!! We were listening to the radio and Sweet Child of Mine was on and my daughter said, you know they can play this back to back and I would never notice, it just goes on and on.

Susan1

@Badams and @PeterG are dead to me for dissing Sweet Child of Mine!! ;)

I still haven't heard "Hello" by Adele :shuffle:

Adding on to the Christmas song hate, "Do they know it's Christmas?" is utterly feebleminded, and freaking arrogant as hell. No snow in Africa? You're talking a WHOLE FREAKING CONTINENT here, of course there is snow there! Nothing ever grows? No rains or rivers flow? Bullsh*t people! Yes, you are all so generous to take one or two days out of your multi-million dollar lives to make a song that is going to save the world, oh no, wait, feed the world. Uh, but yeah, here we are 30 years later and people are still starving to death, in Africa and every other continent. Move on already.

And how can @PRlady be dissin' on the 70s, which brought us THIS gem?! ;)

We talked about this on a Christmas song thread last year and/or the year before. I commented something about if it's not Christmas because there's no snow, have they never had Christmas in Florida? A lot of those singers live in LA. How often do they have snow on Christmas? Inane, insensitive and obnoxious song.

Love Sweet Child of Mine.
Know nothing about Adele.
Shaft - meh. Don't love it or hate it.

PeterG

'I want a hippopotamus for Christmas' was played on the radio request spot yesterday evening, and today the caller was a woman who said 'Christmas wouldn't be Christmas' without Stevie Nicks' Silent Night ... (apparently it's played non stop in New Zealand where the caller used to live) Never heard either before - the hippo song was kind of funny first time of hearing but Stevie Nicks :eek: :scream::scream:

I loooooooooove Stevie Nicks, but of the 19 versions of Silent Night I was surprised to find on my computer, her is not one of them... :(

Would this one be considered a bit too lengthy for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5AztWseIdU

Artemis@BC

I love the Hippopotamus song. Well, I love hearing it a couple of times per season. It could get old, fast.

But other Christmas songs that I detest, and can't get away from at this time of year, include:

~ "All I Want for Christmas Is You" (any version)
~ "Last Christmas"
~ "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"
~ "Rockin around the Christmas Tree"
~ "Baby It's Cold Outside" (except for the Louis Armstrong / Ella Fitzgerald version -- they manage to make it sound fun instead of date-rapey)

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Would this one be considered a bit too lengthy for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5AztWseIdU
:lol: Yes but a solid 80% of that is because I really don't care for disco music.

I have realised that my ranting against the length of Hey Jude and Sweet Child of Mine makes it seem like I don't like long songs. I do like long songs. But those 2 in particular feel like they should have ended way sooner than they actually do. They are like The Song That Never Ends but not fun.

I can't believe I didn't think of this before, I can't stand most of the music Beyonce has released from If I Were A Boy until now. I respect the talent, she has an amazing voice and I enjoy a decent amount of her earlier solo music as well as her Destiny's Child music but everything from the album If I Were a Boy is on until now just bores me.

VGThuy

When I used to frequent 80s night, people would get so excited when Sweet Child of Mine came on and I always groaned because I don't really like that song and as many others have said before, it's super long. But then I didn't mind it when Rock Lobster came on and that song is loooooong.

Karina1974

It's sacrilege to say this I know, but I detest almost everything Stephen Sondheim. Worst offender: Send in the Clowns. I loathe that song.

I think that's one of the reasons my dad stopped buying Judy Collins albums. He LOVES her earlier work, the straight-ahead folk music, but when she started getting more avant garde that's when he stopped buying her records. He has the first 10, but that's it.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
When I used to frequent 80s night, people would get so excited when Sweet Child of Mine came on and I always groaned because I don't really like that song and as many others have said before, it's super long. But then I didn't mind it when Rock Lobster came on and that song is loooooong.

Oh man, my friends and I would see who could dance the entire long version of Rock Lobster at parties and school dances!

Karina1974

, Seasons in the Sun, .

The Terry Jacks "hit" version absolutely sucked ass, because he sounded both drunk and high on something. The Kingston Trio's version from 1963, OTOH, was STELLAR, and fully captured the meaning of the lyrics. That should have been the #1 hit version.

ElizabethAnne

This thread brought back some bad memories. Three I can't stand are:

"One Tin Soldier" by The Original Caste
"Hair" and "Aquarius" from the musical Hair
"Honey" - Bobby Goldsboro

Marge_Simpson

Oh man, my friends and I would see who could dance the entire long version of Rock Lobster at parties and school dances!
I went to this eighties dance thing a few years ago, most of the people were in my age bracket. When they played Rock Lobster and got to the "down, down " part, of course we all got down. But almost everyone had trouble getting up again.

paskatefan

The Terry Jacks "hit" version absolutely sucked ass, because he sounded both drunk and high on something. The Kingston Trio's version from 1963, OTOH, was STELLAR, and fully captured the meaning of the lyrics. That should have been the #1 hit version.

I had NO idea that someone else recorded it.

Lisa

I think Adele is a bit overrated. Yes, she can sing, but I don't think her voice has an immediate wow factor like Barbra Streisand's in her prime for example. I've listened to "Hello" a couple of times now and still have no idea why it was so popular. I think I would be bored after 3 songs at an Adele's concert.
Barbra Streisand is in a league of her own. This is even more obvious each time one of our modern divas dares sing a duet with her :p

shutterbug

Crabbuckit by k-os. Hated it when it came out, still hate it today. How it ever won the Juno (Canadian equivalent of a Grammy) for single of the year in 2005 is beyond me. That, and pretty much all country music. But I like Adele. :p

Susan1

This thread brought back some bad memories. Three I can't stand are:

"One Tin Soldier" by The Original Caste
"Hair" and "Aquarius" from the musical Hair
"Honey" - Bobby Goldsboro

The reason One Tin Soldier still gives me the willies is because I fainted while we were singing that song in a choir concert in high school. (I was home sick all week and didn't want to miss the concert on Friday night. Splat.):eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information