Russian figure skating news in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Absolutely stellar pair SP today. 8 exceptional skates, even Kosto and her hubby who still have a way to go to master the twist.

Bigbird

The only two skates I'm reviewing repeatedly, regardless of mistakes are Kos/Kun LP and Daria and Alexander's Tango in the FD. Outstanding performances.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The only two skates I'm reviewing repeatedly, regardless of mistakes are Kos/Kun LP and Daria and Alexander's Tango in the FD. Outstanding performances.
KosKun made the Russian nationals at number 8 out of 12 which is pretty impressive. She seems to have tempered her expectations and there was no drama about her scores at this event. If she stays in, they would absolutely be medal contenders with the international field within a year or two, but breaking into top 3 in Russia will be a challenge.

There is a team practicing SBS 3As (also a K/K team). They are currently the number 3 Russian team behind M/G and B/K going into the national event and are good enough they just might succeed.

Bigbird

KosKun made the Russian nationals at number 8 out of 12 which is pretty impressive. She seems to have tempered her expectations and there was no drama about her scores at this event. If she stays in, they would absolutely be medal contenders with the international field within a year or two, but breaking into top 3 in Russia will be a challenge.

There is a team practicing SBS 3As (also a K/K team). They are currently the number 3 Russian team behind M/G and B/K going into the national event and are good enough they just might succeed.
Yes..they are impressive but she cracks under pressure..when Kostornaia is on she doesn't. I think or hope her husband will have a calming effect. They are very stylish...

On My Own

I actually enjoyed Kostornaia and partner? They're the only ones I watched because this thread had me intrigued, but I did.

They can be my Panfilova/Rylov substitutes. I need something for my Chinese pairs rivalry, and the 'top Russian pairs' which apparently STILL include Mishina/Galliamov and Boikova/Kozlovskii just suck.

Last edited:

Lana K

In mourning for Kaori's 2022-2023 season hair
How’s everyone watching these competitions lately? The YouTube channel that used to upload full videos and streams is now only doing 1:00 highlight clips.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Big money on Vladislav Dikidzhi mens champion 2024
Yes. The kid is on fire. He's confident and hungry. Still a little rough around the edges, but he's jumping well. I really like Lutfullin and Vetlugin, but they are really inconsistent and if they make a mistake, it all falls apart for them. Kind of like Pulkinen. And all of Rukavitsin's skaters are SP skaters. They have zero stamina for the FS. Which is a shame as they have some nice qualities. My podium predictions will be Dikidzhi, Gumennik and Semenenko in some order.

The women all depend on Petrosyn. If she's on, she wins, but apart from that, it could be 4 or 5 different skaters at the top depending on who is in top form.

Pairs will be a total battle between M/G (best FS) and B/K (best SP) as to which comes out on top. Third place is between probably 3 different teams.

Unless the federation gives Morozov some bye, they won't be at nationals since they ended up missing both of their events due to Annabelle's injury which is a real shame.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
How’s everyone watching these competitions lately? The YouTube channel that used to upload full videos and streams is now only doing 1:00 highlight clips.
Channel 1. I don't know how long they are keeping the videos up, but that's where you can watch nationals and the Cup finals etc. There is usually a direct link on GoldenSkate for each competition.

zoe111

Yes..they are impressive but she cracks under pressure..when Kostornaia is on she doesn't. I think or hope her husband will have a calming effect. They are very stylish...
To be honest I’ve actually been really impressed with her efforts in the pairs this year. For a first year she’s progressed a lot. In that most recent Grand Prix, she had a decent twist in the free skate and a good throw in the short. A lot of the rest is pretty good as well and their unison is also great for the time they’ve been together. I think she’s actually better with a partner- more focused, calmer. I wouldn’t count them out for the future

Ka3sha

Apparently, they not only made it to Nationals but also qualified for the Spartakiade event (top 8 teams) that will be held instead of the usual Russian Cup Final event in February.
Impressive achievement for a new team in such a competitive field, even if for now the jumps are their highest scoring elements.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Apparently, they not only made it to Nationals but also qualified for the Spartakiade event (top 8 teams) that will be held instead of the usual Russian Cup Final event in February.
Impressive achievement for a new team in such a competitive field, even if for now the jumps are their highest scoring elements.
They are only getting level 2 on the twist, but considering it took Marchai 2 years to get to that point, it's still impressive. They already are getting good PCS marks. She still has a gorgeous look on the ice and so does he for that matter.

Season best scores for comparison. Khabibullina/Knyazhuk are the rising stars that are practicing SBS 3As. No idea if they actually plan to attempt them in the future, but both skaters can land the jump.
Pairs
Anastasia Mishina/Aleksandr Galliamov 236.89
Aleksandra Boikova/Dmitri Kozlovski 235.78
Natalia Khabibullina/Ilya Knyazhuk 221.67
Ekaterina Chikmareva/Matvei Yanchenkov 215.00
Elizaveta Osokina/Artem Gritsaenko 214.93
Yulia Artemieva/Aleksei Bryukhanov 212.58
Anastasia Mukhortova/Dmitri Evgeniev 206.02
Yasmina Kadyrova/Valeri Kolesov 205.70
Alena Kostornaia/Georgy Kunitsa 199.89
Daria Boyarintseva/Roman Pleshkov 197.79
Taisia Sobinina/Denis Khodykin 190.76
Viktoria Vasilieva/Roman Zaporozhets 181.80

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Season's best scores going into Nationals.
Men
Petr Gumennik 300.66
Evgeni Semenenko 289.37
Roman Savosin 288.46
Vladislav Dikidzhi 287.40
Mark Kondratiuk 275.25
Matvei Vetlugin 270.87
Aleksei Erokhov 268.22
Daniil Samsonov 265.33
Alexander Samarin 263.21
Dmitri Aliev 260.07
Andrei Mozalev 259.47
Gleb Lutfullin 257.63
Semion Soloviov 255.13
Makar Ignatov 253.41
Grigory Fedorov 251.10
Fedor Zonov 240.92
Andrei Mukhortov 225.67
Daniil Postarnakov 224.52

Women
Adeliia Petrosian 236.31
Sofia Muravieva 228.81
Kamila Valieva 226.22
Alina Gorbacheva 219.02
Ksenia Sinitsyna 216.08
Anna Frolova 215.55
Daria Sadkova 214.54
Veronika Yametova 212.75
Maria Agaeva 208.91
Elizaveta Kulikova 208.74
Ksenia Gushchina 205.15
Sofia Zakharova 194.39
Maiia Khromykh 193.22
Sofia Vazhnova 192.46
Ekaterina Anisimova 191.67
Arina Kshetskaya 189.72
Lyudmila Fursova 184.19
Maria Talalaikina 183.29

Ice Dance
Aleksandra Stepanova/Ivan Bukin 220.44
Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva/Egor Bazin 208.99
Elizaveta Shanaeva/Pavel Drozd 201.42
Irina Khavronina/Devid Narizhny 201.16
Sofia Leontieva/Daniil Gorelkin 190.39
Ekaterina Mironova/Evgeni Ustenko 182.96
Sofia Shevchenko/Andrei Ezhlov 178.59
Sofia Tyutyunina/Matvei Grachev 178.04
Varvara Zhdanova/Timur Babaev-Smirnov 177.24
Daria Savkina/Aleksandr Vakhnov 175.58
Aleksandra Prokopets/Aleksandr Vaskovich 171.10
Sofia Kachushkina/Mark Volkov 171.06
Varvara Kurnosenko/Fedor Varlamov 167.05
Polina Usova/Mikhail Antonov 164.10
Ksenia Krausova/Daniil Korochkin 146.70

Last edited:

Xallie

I'm so out of the loop, could someone share when their big events will be taking place too? Their GP final and the Gala Tournament mainly.

rfisher

Let the skating begin

Here's the link for any who want it. This will take you to the various internal competitions including Nationals and the Spartiakiad (cup finals--the top 8 finishers). Links for the junior nationals and the junior cup finale are also available.

airgelaal

ninjapirate

great russians can only steal great. After all, there are so many excellent russian singers, so why steal a Ukrainian song? The Ukrainian singer is shocked that her song is playing on red square. And it sounds because Anya Shcherbakova skates to this song.
Tell Oksana to give her Olympic medal back for skating to Tchaikovsky.

olympic

Actually, not. The Russian judges are being harder than international judges in these comps especially in awarding PCS. Guminnik's FS was as good as any of the other top male skaters. He's doing 3 excellent quads. His 4S-3T combo was excellent.
Sorry. That 1st part - Russian Judges are tougher in national comps than international judges would be? I've never seen that to be the case at any point since i've followed FS dating back to 1980 as a wee one. National competition scores are inflated everywhere. That is universally accepted and it's in the FS Bible ;)

Gumenik 'as good as any top male skater' means that he could beat Malinin, Siao Him Fa, Uno and Kagiyama on a good day. I am certain the latter 2 will be better by Worlds. I just don't see that. If you wanted to argue that a RUS guy could be in the final group headed into the FS at a theoretical Worlds, than definitely, but not otherwise.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Sorry. That 1st part - Russian Judges are tougher in national comps than international judges would be? I've never seen that to be the case at any point since i've followed FS dating back to 1980 as a wee one. National competition scores are inflated everywhere. That is universally accepted and it's in the FS Bible ;)

Gumenik 'as good as any top male skater' means that he could beat Malinin, Siao Him Fa, Uno and Kagiyama on a good day. I am certain the latter 2 will be better by Worlds. I just don't see that. If you wanted to argue that a RUS guy could be in the final group headed into the FS at a theoretical Worlds, than definitely, but not otherwise.
You'll just have to watch him and decide for yourself. :)

Rainbow

Wasn't a giant chunk of Ukraine part of the Russian Empire during Tchaikovsky's time?
His grandfather was from Ukraine on his father`s side. It`s besides the point though, because the moral question arises from the war now and wasn`t relevant then.

On My Own

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information