Japanese figure skating 2023-24 season news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Link to read Misato Komatsubara’s Instagram post (English version): https://www.instagram.com/p/C6Dqf1euKHH/

ETA that her screenshot (2nd slide) mentions she has been skating injured all season and that “Upon reflecting on this season’s trials and triumphs, and turning my Olympic dream into reality, I’ve come to the realization that I have accomplished the goals I set for myself as an athlete.”
... As for my future plans, I will participate in ice shows as a professional skater with Tim, so please contact me. At the same time, I will study and find ways to help skaters glow with great health physically and mentally, regardless of nationality. My management company will continue to handle my affairs, so please contact me or them if needed.

The feeling of the wind on my cheeks when I first skated still makes me smile years afterwards.
It has truly been a happy competitive career.
Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart.

Misato

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Misato Komatsubara has announced her retirement from competition. She will continue as a pro skater in shows with partner Tim Koleto.
I’m assuming that Tim will also retire from eligible events. They’re married, after all.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I thought that Duhamel/Radford had a few show commitments after he teamed up with Vanessa James.

Savchenko certainly wanted to do at least a few shows in Japan with Szolkowy after his now-wife dropped the bombshell that she was going to team with Massot. I can't remember if she was still skating shows with Massot when she teamed with TJ Nyman. She never backed down from a messy situation.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Alexa Knierim…continued with Fraser, married to Knierim ? Tamara Moskvina…continued with Mishin, married to Moskvin?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The JSF announced their 2024-25 Strengthened Skaters (aka National Team/Envelope Funding) today -

Special Reinforcement Group -
Men - Shoma Uno, Yuma Kagiyama, Kao Miura, Sota Yamamoto, Shun Sato, Rio Nakata
Women - Kaori Sakamoto, Mone Chiba, Mao Shimada, Rena Uezono, Rinka Watanabe, Hana Yoshida
Pairs - Riku Miura/Ryuichi Kihara

Group A -
Men - Kazuki Tomono, Tatsuya Tsuboi, Nozomu Yoshioka, Shunsuke Nakamura, Tsudoi Suto
Women - Mai Mihara, Mako Yamashita, Rion Sumiyoshi, Ikura Kushida
Synchro - Jingu Ice Messengers

Group B -
Men - Sena Miyake, Koshiro Shimada, Takeru Amine Kataise, Haru Kakiuchi, Taiga Nishino, Seigo Tauchi, Daiya Ebihara, Sena Takahashi
Women - Yuna Aoki, Maria Egawa, Wakaba Higuchi, Yo Takagi, Ayumi Shibayama, Haruna Murakami, Riria Kono, Kinayu Yokoi
Pairs - Yuna Nagaoka/Sumitada Moriguchi, Sae Shimizu/Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda
Ice Dance - Azusa Tanaka/Shingo Nishiyama, Utana Yoshida/Masaya Morita, Sara Kishimoto/Atsuhiko Tamura

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Link to the Figure Skating PDF (April 24, 2024): https://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/common/img/info/2024-25_FS_20240424.pdf
*The enhanced player page [skater/team bios] will be released in early July.

I've added 2023-24 placements at Junior/Senior Nationals, GPF/JGPF, 4CC & Junior/Senior Worlds below (@Karen-W Ikura Kushida in A got autocorrected to Imuran ;)):

Special Reinforcement Group -
Men - Shoma Uno GPF2/S1/W4, Yuma Kagiyama GPF3/S2/4CC1/W2, Kao Miura GPF5/S4/W8, Sota Yamamoto S3/4CC4, Shun Sato S5/4CC2, Rio Nakata J2/JGPF1/S17/JW2
Women - Kaori Sakamoto GPF1/S1/W1, Mone Chiba S2/4CC1/W7, Mao Shimada J1/JGPF1/S3/JW1, Rena Uezono J3/JGPF3/S4/JW3, Rinka Watanabe S6/4CC3, Hana Yoshida GPF3/S7/W8
Pairs - Riku Miura/Ryuichi Kihara S-wd/4CC2/W2

Group A -
Men - Kazuki Tomono S6, Tatsuya Tsuboi S7, Nozomu Yoshioka S8, Shunsuke Nakamura J1/S14/JW4, Tsudoi Suto J3
Women - Mai Mihara S5/4CC7, Mako Yamashita S8, Rion Sumiyoshi GPF6/S10, Ikura Kushida J2/S25/JW5
Synchro - Jingu Ice Messengers

Group B -
Men - Sena Miyake S9, Koshiro Shimada S11, Takeru Amine Kataise S12, Haru Kakiuchi J4/S18/JW17, Taiga Nishino J5/S30, Seigo Tauchi J6/S21, Daiya Ebihara J7/S19, Sena Takahashi J8/S20
Women - Yuna Aoki S9, Maria Egawa S11, Wakaba Higuchi S12, Yo Takagi J4/S23, Ayumi Shibayama J5/S15, Haruna Murakami J6/S19, Riria Kono J7, Kinayu Yokoi J8
Pairs - Yuna Nagaoka/Sumitada Moriguchi S1, Sae Shimizu/Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda J1/JW14
Ice Dance - Azusa Tanaka/Shingo Nishiyama S2/4CC11, Utana Yoshida/Masaya Morita S3/4CC10, Sara Kishimoto/Atsuhiko Tamura J1/JW12

Nationals results are weighted more heavily - for example, not listed is Ami Nakai JGPF5/J10 (not invited to Senior Nationals).

This list will be updated by JSF after the Grand Prix & JGP assignments are known.

Sylvia

TBD

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information