U.S. Figure Skating announces 2023-24 National Qualifying Series (NQS) competitions + Series Finals dates/locations

Sylvia

TBD
Starting a new thread with today's press release (March 14, 2023): https://www.usfigureskating.org/new...d-2024-25-national-qualifying-series-schedule

"U.S. Figure Skating today announced the 2023-24 and 2024-25 National Qualifying Series (NQS) schedules for singles, pairs and ice dance disciplines.

Over 1,500 skaters nationwide will compete at nineteen 2023-24 qualifying events for a chance to advance to Sectional Singles, U.S. Pairs and U.S. Ice Dance Finals in November 2023. Athletes can then qualify to compete at the 2024 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships and National Development Camp in Columbus, Ohio, slated for January 2024."

2023-24 National Qualifying Series Finals Schedule:
DatesEventLocationDisciplines
Oct. 31-Nov. 5, 2023Eastern Sectional Singles FinalCoral Springs, Fla.Singles
Nov. 7-12, 2023Pacific Coast Sectional Singles & U.S. Pairs FinalTacoma, Wash.Singles; Pairs
Nov. 14-19, 2023Midwestern Sectional Singles & U.S. Ice Dance FinalBloomington, Minn.Singles; Ice Dance

"In addition, U.S. Figure Skating will host the following National Qualifying Series events in 2024. The 2024-25 National Qualifying Series Final and 2024 U.S. Collegiate Figure Skating Championships dates and locations will be available Summer 2023."

ETA - at the bottom of the page:

"Registration for the 2023-24 National Qualifying Series will open in May. Please note, singles athletes will be permitted to register for a maximum of three NQS competitions.

If you’re interested in competing, please join U.S. Figure Skating on Tuesday, April 18 at 8:00 p.m. ET to discuss registration details and review the National Qualifying Series athlete and coach series handbook. Interested participants can pre-register for the call here [link]."

Last edited:

ice coverage

Just since yesterday (Mar 14), USFS NQS list for 2023-24 has had a name change for Broadmoor NQS event.
The NQS list originally said, "Broadmoor Open."
The change as of today (Mar 15) is to "Broadmoor Fall Classic."

The name change is a good thing in light of what Broadmoor Skating Club posted yesterday (Mar 14):

"Broadmoor Skating Club has been awarded NQS event which will take place September 21-14, 2023. THIS WILL BE THE SECOND EVENT IN 2023 and Broadmoor Open will STILL take place June 25-July 1. Registration for the summer event is now open and we look forward to providing excellent training opportunity to skaters in June to prepare for the September NQS event."​

ice coverage

Wait ...
I noticed today for the first time that USFS recently (AFAIK) has added Dallas Classic, Jul 15-17, as a dance event for the 2023-24 season NQS calendar.
And as the first event in the entire 2023-24 series.
(It would not be the first time that USFS quietly has revised a page that has a dateline -- without documenting that the later revision has been made.)

Although I don't have a screenshot from March, I could swear that when USFS originally published the 2023-24 season NQS list, it had only three dance events:
Lake Placid Ice Dance, Jul 31-Aug 2​
Silicon Valley Open, Aug 3-5​
Challenge Cup, Sep 21-24​
I remember being surprised in March that there would be only three dance events for 2023-2024 season (as opposed to five in 2022-2023 season) and that Dallas Classic would not be returning as an NQS dance event from the 2022-2023 season.

Before making a reference to NQS in the Dance Hall thread on Apr 2, I had looked again at the USFS list for the 2023-24 season to make sure that I had the schedule for Lake Placid, Silicon Valley, and Challenge Cup straight in my head.
I feel pretty sure that I would have noticed if Dallas Classic had been added before then.

Dallas Classic website has not been updated since the July 2022 event, so I am happy to know that the competition will be back in July 2023. :)

ETA:​
Thanks to This Week in Skating's March 20 podcast, I have assured myself that USFS really did not add Dallas Classic until after the original 2023-24 NQS list was published.​
Starting at approx. 13:45, @Daphne and @Gina_FigureSkatersOnline discussed the new list for 2023-24. At the time, they said that the list had 19 NQS events, and they named each of the 19 (grouped into previous NQS events that once again are part of the series vs. new NQS events). Dallas Classic was not named.​
The 2023-24 list as seen on the USFS website today has 20 events, including Dallas.​

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Wait ...
I noticed for the first time today that USFS recently (AFAIK) has added Dallas Classic, Jul 15-17, as a dance event for the 2023-24 season NQS calendar.
And as the first event in the entire 2023-24 series.
(It would not be the first time that USFS quietly has revised a page that has a dateline -- without documenting that the later revision has been made.)

Although I don't have a screenshot from March, I could swear that when USFS originally published the 2023-24 season NQS list, it had only three dance events:
Lake Placid, Jul 31-Aug 2​
Silicon Valley Open, Aug 3-5​
Challenge Cup, Sep 21-24​
I remember being surprised in March that there would be only three dance events for 2023-2024 season (as opposed to five in 2022-2023 season) and that Dallas Classic would not be returning as an NQS dance event from the 2022-2023 season.

Before making a reference to NQS in the Dance Hall thread on Apr 2, I had looked again at the USFS list for the 2023-24 season to make sure that I had the schedule for Lake Placid, Silicon Valley, and Challenge Cup straight in my head.
I feel pretty sure that I would have noticed if Dallas Classic had been added before then.

Dallas Classic website has not been updated since the July 2022 event, so I am happy to know that the competition will be back in July 2023. :)
My sister will be so happy! She loves going to the Dallas Classic. I wish it wasn’t during quarter end so I could go stay with her and see it too.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
My sister will be so happy! She loves going to the Dallas Classic. I wish it wasn’t during quarter end so I could go stay with her and see it too.
I’m hoping to attend part of it, though the dates look a little challenging on my end.

Hopefully, I’ll do better at music IDs this year, though I did get POTC right last season! :lol:

Aimless

I attended the delightful US International Figure Skating Classic in Lake Placid last September. It was a strange but lovely amalgam of early season top level international competition, concurrent with a US novice and junior competition. I’d really like to go again, but I can’t find it on any schedule for the coming year. Anybody know anything? Sylvia?

It was the best, funnest comp I ever attended. I saw Ilia’s first ever 4x in competition, among other wonders. Plus Lake Placid is an easy scenic drive for me.

Sylvia

TBD
Monday, July 31 - Wednesday Aug. 2, 2023 are the dates listed for the Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships (NQS for Ice Dance), linked in post #1.

I have yet to hear anything about the U.S. Classic (Senior B) and domestic Novice/Junior Challenge Skate.

The ISU published their international season calendar last year on June 1 and a GSD thread will be created when it's available online.

2023-24 ISU Challenger Series info thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2023-24-challenger-series.110611/

azcalder

I attended the delightful US International Figure Skating Classic in Lake Placid last September. It was a strange but lovely amalgam of early season top level international competition, concurrent with a US novice and junior competition. I’d really like to go again, but I can’t find it on any schedule for the coming year. Anybody know anything? Sylvia?

It was the best, funnest comp I ever attended. I saw Ilia’s first ever 4x in competition, among other wonders. Plus Lake Placid is an easy scenic drive for me.
In September 2012 the US International Figure Skating Classic and the US Novice & Junior Challenge Skate were both launched in SLC. The latter was a domestic development competition conducted in accordance with the international judging system.
Two years later the Classic became part of the Challenger Series (CS). The USFS event and International Classic were held each September in SLC until the Covid pandemic cancelled the 2020-2021 events. Both were held the following season at the Skating Club of Boston, but the Classic was not a CS event. In 2022-2023 it again became part of the CS Series and both were held in Lake Placid, NY.
Canada began hosting the Autumn Classic International as a CS event in September 2014 There was a rumor that Canada and the US would alternate the events. Since the Autumn Classic International was not held in 2022 and is scheduled for 2023 and the US International Classic is not listed as a Challenger event for 2023 perhaps that has become the case.
The idea of having the US Challenge Skate at the same time as the Senior event was to have the younger athletes experience what it would be like to compete at an international competition by following the same event format as an international competition, observing the senior competition, and being part of a team.
The younger skaters have had so much fun cheering on the Seniors. I’ve attended every year since the inaugural events in 2012 (except Lake Placid), and I loved watching their enthusiasm. After a ten-year run together it looks like neither event will be held in 2023-2024.

Debbie S

Really? I was thinking the U.S. Classic would be held as a Senior B, like the 2021 event. That is a shame if it's not going to happen. I attended in SLC in 2012 and 2019 and enjoyed it each time.

azcalder

Really? I was thinking the U.S. Classic would be held as a Senior B, like the 2021 event. That is a shame if it's not going to happen. I attended in SLC in 2012 and 2019 and enjoyed it each time.
I'm not sure if it will be a Senior B. I just knew it wouldn't be a CS. I should have been more specific.

Aimless

Monday, July 31 - Wednesday Aug. 2, 2023 are the dates listed for the Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships (NQS for Ice Dance), linked in post #1.

I have yet to hear anything about the U.S. Classic (Senior B) and domestic Novice/Junior Challenge Skate.

The ISU published their international season calendar last year on June 1 and a GSD thread will be created when it's available online.

2023-24 ISU Challenger Series info thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2023-24-challenger-series.110611/
Thanks as always, Sylvia.

Aimless

In September 2012 the US International Figure Skating Classic and the US Novice & Junior Challenge Skate were both launched in SLC. The latter was a domestic development competition conducted in accordance with the international judging system.
Two years later the Classic became part of the Challenger Series (CS). The USFS event and International Classic were held each September in SLC until the Covid pandemic cancelled the 2020-2021 events. Both were held the following season at the Skating Club of Boston, but the Classic was not a CS event. In 2022-2023 it again became part of the CS Series and both were held in Lake Placid, NY.
Canada began hosting the Autumn Classic International as a CS event in September 2014 There was a rumor that Canada and the US would alternate the events. Since the Autumn Classic International was not held in 2022 and is scheduled for 2023 and the US International Classic is not listed as a Challenger event for 2023 perhaps that has become the case.
The idea of having the US Challenge Skate at the same time as the Senior event was to have the younger athletes experience what it would be like to compete at an international competition by following the same event format as an international competition, observing the senior competition, and being part of a team.
The younger skaters have had so much fun cheering on the Seniors. I’ve attended every year since the inaugural events in 2012 (except Lake Placid), and I loved watching their enthusiasm. After a ten-year run together it looks like neither event will be held in 2023-2024.
I also loved watching the cohorts of young US competitors watching and cheering the senior competitors. Encouraging and informing their dreams, I expect. USFS also gave them classes on various topics ( nutrition, ballet, etc). I’m sorry it doesn’t seem to be an option this year.

Aimless

Okay, one more question. I see two events with the same title but different dates: Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships is listed for July 31-Aug 2 and also Aug 7-9. Is this an error or are there two distinct events and if so what’s the difference? Thank you, wise people.

ice coverage

I'm not sure if it will be a Senior B. I just knew it wouldn't be a CS. I should have been more specific.
I also loved watching the cohorts of young US competitors watching and cheering the senior competitors. Encouraging and informing their dreams, I expect. USFS also gave them classes on various topics ( nutrition, ballet, etc). I’m sorry it doesn’t seem to be an option this year.

In reply to Aimless: As discussed above, it's still possible that 2023 U.S. Classic will take place as a non-Challenger international. As azcalder said, it was held in 2021 without Challenger status.
If(?) 2023 U.S. Classic is held, I am optimistic that U.S. Novice/Junior Challenge Skate (which I agree is a great developmental opportunity) once again would be held in conjunction. (Off the top of my head, Alysa Liu and Isabeau Levito are examples of Challenge Skate alumni. I have no doubt that Challenge Skate has been a good stepping stone in other careers too. [ETA: Ilia Malinin is another of the biggest names.] )

Because you seem to like Lake Placid a lot (as do I), I would give a little caveat that there has not yet been any pattern of Lake Placid as a repeat host for U.S. Classic+Challenge Skate. Lake Placid might or might not be the host in 2023, if the events are held at all.
As azcalder said, after the "monopoly" (my word) of original host SLC for many consecutive years, Skating Club of Boston in Norwood hosted in 2021. Then Lake Placid has hosted the one time in 2022.

Okay, one more question. I see two events with the same title but different dates: Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships is listed for July 31-Aug 2 and also Aug 7-9. Is this an error or are there two distinct events and if so what’s the difference? Thank you, wise people.

Not an error re Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships.
July 31-Aug 2 are the dates for 2023 (on the list for 2023-24 season).
Aug 7-9 are the dates for the same event in 2024 (on the list for 2024-25 season).

ETA:
I found some more bits related to addition of Dallas Classic to 2023 NQS.​
When original version of 2023 Solo Dance Series calendar was published in Dec 2022, dates for Dallas Classic were listed as Jul 7-9, 2023.​
USFS page for Solo Dance now says: "Attention: The 2023 Dallas Classic dates have changed to July 15 - 17, 2023."​
Revised version of 2023 Solo Dance Series calendar -- last updated Apr 8, 2023 -- shows the change to Jul 15-17.​
My guess is that the change in dates was caused by at least partly had something to do with addition to NQS. For NQS, the whole series was planned to start in late July.​
ETA: In hindsight, I should have mentioned that Dallas Classic has both partnered ice dance and solo ice dance, as azcalder did below (y). Sorry if my reference to Solo Dance Series seemed confusing.​
With addition of Dallas Classic, Dallas FSC now will be hosting two NQS events in 2023. The other one is Texas Trophy in Oct for singles.​

Last edited:

Aimless

In reply to Aimless: As discussed above, it's still possible that 2023 U.S. Classic will take place as a non-Challenger international. As azcalder said, it was held in 2021 without Challenger status.
If(?) 2023 U.S. Classic is held, I am optimistic that U.S. Novice/Junior Challenge Skate (which I agree is a great developmental opportunity) once again would be held in conjunction. (Off the top of my head, Alysa Liu and Isabeau Levito are examples of Challenge Skate alumni. I have no doubt that Challenge Skate has been a good stepping stone in other careers too. [ETA: Ilia Malinin is another of the biggest names.] )

Because you seem to like Lake Placid a lot (as do I), I would give a little caveat that there has not yet been any pattern of Lake Placid as a repeat host for U.S. Classic+Challenge Skate. Lake Placid might or might not be the host in 2023, if the events are held at all.
As azcalder said, after the "monopoly" (my word) of original host SLC for many consecutive years, Skating Club of Boston in Norwood hosted in 2021. Then Lake Placid has hosted the one time in 2022.

Not an error re Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships.
July 31-Aug 2 are the dates for 2023 (on the list for 2023-24 season).
Aug 7-9 are the dates for the same event in 2024 (on the list for 2024-25 season).
Thanks for straightening me out. I’ll watch for the Classic as the year progresses, and understood that if it happens it might/might not be in Lake Placid. I do love LP. Easy and fun and relatively cheap for me to see comps there. Maybe I’ll go to the ice dance this year. Thanks all, for your informed responses.

Laura4

Leave it to Ashley Wagner to open her big mouth on Twitter, expressing her disbelief that Texas is a possible location for Skate America. How long before Adam Rippon and Dave Lease follow suit? Here’s the thing: How many other states have hosted this event with dismal results as far as attendance? Sometimes you have to try something different to see if it works. Good for USFS for trying something different, I say.

ice coverage

- Of note from 2023-24 NQS handbook, a new international hosted by the U.S.! And on the west coast.

Related to L.A. Autumn Classic NQS (Oct 5 - 8):​
"The L.A. Autumn Classic will also host an advanced Novice, Junior, and Senior international event for singles athletes. The international component will be invite-only and separate from the National Qualifying Series (NQS)."​

(This link is available on USFS public site.)​

- 2023-24 NQS handbook also has language similar to what was in effect for 2022-23 season:

Related to Lake Placid Ice Dance NQS (Jul 31 - Aug 2):​
"Lake Placid will also host an international event for Junior and Senior teams. Athletes participating in the international may utilize their score for NQS standings."​

Related to Middle Atlantics NQS (Sep 8 - 10):​
"The John Nicks Pairs Challenge will be held in conjunction for Junior and Senior teams. Athletes participating in the international may utilize their score for NQS standings."​

- Handy-dandy new graphic (also from USFS public site) showing previously-announced 2023 NQS calendar:

- FYI for FSU fans possibly attending NQS events, the handbook includes links to individual event sites, such as:

Dallas Classic​
(Not the same page as dallasclassic.org, which was used for the 2022 event)​

Lake Placid Ice Dance​
(Whereas URL for 2022 event page was within Lake Placid Legacy Sites)​

Last edited:

Debbie S

Interesting. I wonder if the L.A. Autumn Classic international is replacing the Philly Summer Champs international this season or the Senior B/Challenger event that was in Lake Placid last year. It's kind of strange timing. In/by early Oct, most skaters competing internationally will be doing Challengers.

Sylvia

TBD
- Of note from 2023-24 NQS handbook, a new international hosted by the U.S.! And on the west coast.

Related to L.A. Autumn Classic NQS (Oct 5 - 8):​
"The L.A. Autumn Classic will also host an advanced Novice, Junior, and Senior international event for singles athletes. The international component will be invite-only and separate from the National Qualifying Series (NQS)."​
Thanks! :) El Segundo, CA is the Toyota Sports Center rink(s). This could be replacing the U.S. Challenge Skate for Junior & Novice skaters this year.

ice coverage

Interesting. I wonder if the L.A. Autumn Classic international is replacing the Philly Summer Champs international this season or the Senior B/Challenger event that was in Lake Placid last year. It's kind of strange timing. In/by early Oct, most skaters competing internationally will be doing Challengers.

Thanks! :) El Segundo, CA is the Toyota Sports Center rink(s). This could be replacing the U.S. Challenge Skate for Junior & Novice skaters this year.

💡 Ooooh ... so perhaps instead of the combination of U.S. International Classic + domestic developmental U.S. Novice/Junior Challenge Skate from seasons past, 2023 will have an event (with a new name??) that basically combines U.S. Classic (non-Challenger) with an expanded international version of U.S. Challenge Skate??

If true, perhaps it would be a(nother) signal that USFS wants to play a greater role in development of international non-senior skaters -- such as with the ISU Advanced Novice camp (ETA: for singles) held in Colorado Springs in conjunction with 2023 Four Continents.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
💡 Ooooh ... so perhaps instead of the combination of U.S. International Classic + domestic developmental U.S. Novice/Junior Challenge Skate from seasons past, 2023 will have an event with a new name that basically combines U.S. Classic (non-Challenger) with an expanded international version of U.S. Challenge Skate??

If true, perhaps it would be a(nother) signal that USFS wants to play a greater role in development of international non-senior skaters -- such as with the ISU Advanced Novice camp held in Colorado Springs in conjunction with 2023 Four Continents.
Or, it could be that the USFS wants to give junior skaters an opportunity to earn WS junior B points without traveling overseas...

ice coverage

Or, it could be that the USFS wants to give junior skaters an opportunity to earn WS junior B points without traveling overseas...

Also a good thought.

"The L.A. Autumn Classic will also host an advanced Novice, Junior, and Senior international event for singles athletes. The international component will be invite-only and separate from the National Qualifying Series (NQS)."

Taking a closer look, I'm sorry to notice that the new international will be only for singles.

Ice Dance and Pairs have been part of U.S. Classic and part of U.S. Challenge Skate.
(Not necessarily every year for Pairs, IIRC. But for some years, at least.)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
USFS has updated it's International Assignments page for the new season -

Events listed for potential assignments:
GPs - all 6
JGPs - all 7
Challengers - Lombardia, Autumn Classic (Pairs), Nebelhorn (Pairs), Nepela, Finlandia (Pairs), Budapest*, IceChallenge*, and Golden Spin (Pairs) - no entries planned for either Denis Ten Memorial or Warsaw Cup
Fall Senior/Junior/Advanced Novice Bs - US Autumn Classic (Singles only), Tayside Trophy (usually has Pairs), NRW Trophy (usually has both Pairs & Dance), Santa Claus Cup (usually has Dance); * Budapest Trophy & IceChallenge usually have a Senior/Junior B for Pairs in conjunction with the Challenger Series event
Winter/Spring Senior/Junior/Advanced Novice Bs - Egna Dance Trophy (Dance only), Challenge Cup, Coupe de Printemps (Singles only), Egna Spring Trophy (Singles only), Mexico Cup (Singles only)
Other events - GPF/JGPF, Winter Youth Olympic Games, 4CCs, Jr Worlds, Worlds

In years past skaters/teams have qualified for Nationals by having at least 3 GP, JGP or Challenger assignments - I wonder if they'll add some of those other Fall Senior Bs to the list.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information