Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

sheetz

sk9tingfan

Looks like The US Olympic Figure Skating Team will appear on The Today Show, most probably during the 8:30 AM half hour, although not made explicit.

sk9tingfan

Looks like The US Olympic Figure Skating Team will appear on The Today Show, most probably during the 8:30 AM half hour, although not made explicit.
Maybe on this half hour' 7:30 AM. Nathan, Alexa and Brandon as well as Maddy and Evan were shown walking onto the plaza.

sheetz

Nathan appeared on the Today show with C/B and K/F

He also appeared on NY Live with C/B

Nathan for Athletes for Hope along with Stephen Curry and Katie Ledecky

sheetz

sheetz

sheetz

In an interview with Nick McCarvel, Patrick Chan discussed the chances of a Nathan comeback:
"If Nathan chooses to come back, it's going to be a battle, a fight," Chan said. "It's probably going to be the most challenging time in his career.

"But if anybody could do it, I think Nathan could do it," he continued. "There's a good reason why he's Olympic and world champion. He's a very intelligent young man and highly skilled; highly tuned into his body. So I think he could he could do it. He could come back on top if he chose to come back, because he's seen it all. He has the experience.

sheetz

sheetz

A few unearthed goodies:

Footage of Nathan practicing his Vienna program at Yale last fall

Selfie with a fan in 2019

Recently uploaded NBC interview just after winning OGM

sheetz

Nathan is going to be a keynote speaker at the UConn Sports Analytics Symposium
Title: Designing the Optimal Figure Skating Program: Leveraging Data for a Competitive Edge

Abstract: As figure skating continues to evolve into an increasingly complex and competitive sport, athletes and coaches face the challenging task of designing optimal, high-scoring program layouts that will offer a competitive edge. This complexity is driven by the need to balance technical difficulty with artistic expression, all while adhering to strict judging criteria. To demystify this process and aid in strategic planning, we embarked on an analysis of figure skating performances and elements, including jumps, spins, and step sequences. Our analysis involves a dataset comprising over 12,000 elements from various elite international competitions, collected from official scoresheets. Employing regression and Bayesian methods to evaluate jump success probabilities, as well as mixed-effects regression models to predict score outcomes, we evaluated variables encompassing jump types, sequences, scores, and performance contexts. We were able to identify important predictors of jump success, as well as predict scores to develop a model capable of determining the most advantageous jump layouts and element sequences, providing actionable insights for skaters to plan their programs.

Nathan Chen Nathan Chen is a senior at Yale University, majoring in Statistics and Data Science. He is the 2022 Olympic champion, 2018 Olympic bronze medalist, three-time World champion, and six-time U.S. national champion in men’s figure skating. He has been recognized on the Time100 and in the Forbes 30 Under 30 list for his skating achievements. At Yale, he works at the Cardiovascular Research Center, analyzing genomic data to better understand the impact of variants of known and uncertain significance on cardiovascular outcomes. In his free time, he enjoys spending time with family and friends, exploring new food and drink spots, and relaxing anywhere with a nice view.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alexander Samarin spoke about the mental traits he admired about Nathan

sk9tingfan

Any idea where Nathan is doing his fifth year pre-med sciences since it appears that Yale does not offer a formal program? If he is aiming to stay on the east coast and near his sister in Manhattan, Columbia has a formal program.

Otherwise, UCLA and Stanford have a similar programs on the west coast:

sundayspirals

Any idea where Nathan is doing his fifth year pre-med sciences since it appears that Yale does not offer a formal program? If he is aiming to stay on the east coast and near his sister in Manhattan, Columbia has a formal program.

Otherwise, UCLA and Stanford have a similar programs on the west coast:

It's in Baltimore but not John Hopkins. So my best guess is Goucher that has one of the top post bacc premed programs in the country. People seem to debate whether Goucher or Bryn Mawr is the top program but either way, I'm not surprised that Nathan did his research before applying. :) Interestingly, both programs have linkage programs with Cornell, Brown and NYU and other schools that allow graduates to go straight to med school if accepted and avoid the glide year (the year between applying to med school and commencing med school). The issue is that they would have to commit to that one school and wouldn't be able to apply to other schools. So if Nathan wanted to apply to Harvard (and was accepted), he wouldn't be able to start med school till the fall of 2026. However, if he decided to take advantage of a linkage opportunity and was accepted at e.g. Cornell, Brown, NYU or one of the other linkage schools, he would be able to start immediately after his post bacc in the fall of 2025.

ETA: I don't know if it's Goucher, I'm just basing this on "Baltimore" and "not John Hopkins" (which he told fans). :)

sk9tingfan

It's in Baltimore but not John Hopkins. So my best guess is Goucher that has one of the top post bacc premed programs in the country. People seem to debate whether Goucher or Bryn Mawr is the top program but either way, I'm not surprised that Nathan did his research before applying. :) Interestingly, both programs have linkage programs with Cornell, Brown and NYU and other schools that allow graduates to go straight to med school if accepted and avoid the glide year (the year between applying to med school and commencing med school). The issue is that they would have to commit to that one school and wouldn't be able to apply to other schools. So if Nathan wanted to apply to Harvard (and was accepted), he wouldn't be able to start med school till the fall of 2026. However, if he decided to take advantage of a linkage opportunity and was accepted at e.g. Cornell, Brown, NYU or one of the other linkage schools, he would be able to start immediately after his post bacc in the fall of 2025.

ETA: I don't know if it's Goucher, I'm just basing this on "Baltimore" and "not John Hopkins" (which he told fans). :)
Thanks a gazillion!

Debbie S

sheetz

Nathan mentioned in a Japanese article about the sleep habits of "geniuses."
Machine translation:
While participating in the Olympics, Nathan Chen is studying statistics at Yale University and balancing his studies and competitions. He places so much importance on sleep that he says, ``I want to study the mechanism of sleep.'' The routine is to sleep for 10 hours and wake up at the same time every day. Before going to bed, put away your smartphone to avoid exposure to blue light, and relax with a cup of chamomile tea. After he lies down, he thinks about what made him happiest that day and goes to sleep.

"It's important to find a routine that keeps your mind in a good state and a sleep cycle that works for you. Herbal tea before bed can also be effective."

Firedancer

We have the answer to why he was in the pool. It is for a Panasonic new green impact spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information