Nathan Chen is featured skating in Elton John, Britney Spears music video

Sylvia

TBD
The music video link originally was posted in Nathan's fan thread but I thought this news deserves its own thread in GSD. ;)

Articles:
https://olympics.com/en/news/nathan-chen-featured-in-elton-john-britney-spears-music-video

Direct link to the music video that was uploaded to Elton John's YouTube channel on November 18, 2022: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9CCGSU-a9U

jlai

Question everything
So I guess this was shot within the last 2 months? From the looks of it, he can do limited jumping and some spins?

skatfan

I wouldn't make any assumptions from a music video - he's doing what was choreographed for the music video.
The videographer is another Yale student who skates. I wonder if Massimo helped him with this.

Nevermind, Nathan choreographed this himself! From the movin.925 article posted above:

“The video starts with Chen, a self-professed lifelong fan of Elton, lacing up and hitting the ice to perform a beautiful routine he choreographed specifically for the piano-heavy ballad.”

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
The videographer is another Yale student who skates. I wonder if Massimo helped him with this.

Nevermind, Nathan choreographed this himself! From the movin.925 article posted above:

“The video starts with Chen, a self-professed lifelong fan of Elton, lacing up and hitting the ice to perform a beautiful routine he choreographed specifically for the piano-heavy ballad.”
Yeah, that article also says that Nathan choreographed his competitive program set to a medley of Elton John music, but we know that was choreographed by Marie-France Dubreuil, and Sam Chouinard. Doesn't mean he didn't choreograph this piece, but I'm not sure that the article is definitive on the issue.

skatfan

Yeah, that article also says that Nathan choreographed his competitive program set to a medley of Elton John music, but we know that was choreographed by Marie-France Dubreuil, and Sam Chouinard. Doesn't mean he didn't choreograph this piece, but I'm not sure that the article is definitive on the issue.
Ah, good catch. Hopefully we’ll hear something more definitive soon.

sheetz

Just a heads up that Nathan will be appearing Monday morning on the Today Show to promote his upcoming book. It's quite possible he will also discuss the music video collaboration.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
There are two videos for the song - I sat through an entire video of SYTYCD-level contemporary dance before finding this one (was on YT, should have just come here first). This means I sat through this cash grab song TWICE. And I didn't even get a belly shirt! :blah:

But srsly, congrats to Nathan - he is the best thing about this release!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I know I will be :lynch: for this, but I did not like the video with Nathen in it. (Will not even look for the contemporary dance one). I found the choreography distracting and at times kind of basic. (As in "she's a basic b*tch" not as in simple.) I completely believe he choreographed it.

Though I am :lol: at the idea that this video in any way gives us any insight into Nathan's current technical abilities. So there is that.

screech

While it's nice to see Nathan recognized, I am not a fan of the video. Too many cuts (that have sudden changes in movement, so not 'flowing'), and also... it doesn't feel like a music video. It feels like someone just skating to a song on the practice rink.

jlai

Question everything
I know I will be :lynch: for this, but I did not like the video with Nathen in it. (Will not even look for the contemporary dance one). I found the choreography distracting and at times kind of basic. (As in "she's a basic b*tch" not as in simple.) I completely believe he choreographed it.

Though I am :lol: at the idea that this video in any way gives us any insight into Nathan's current technical abilities. So there is that.
He withdrew from Japan open due to injuries so if this video is after that then at least he is physically ok and recovering

delayedaxel

I don't know why Sir Elton John "recycles" his classic tunes like this. This is boring as hell (musically); I'd rather watch the 1986 version of "Tiny Dancer" with him as Mozart and a full orchestra behind him.
I have seen EJ three times live (the last one being his FYBR tour) and keep enjoying his music since my teen years, but this pseudo-duett with Britney Spears, no, just no... (as you might guess I wasn't the biggest fan of his collaboration with Dua Lipa either).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information