Japanese figure skating 2023-24 season news & updates

Tak

The print media is beginning to report on selection process, based on how National Coach Mr. Yosuke Takeuchi explained the selection process at Press Conference.
Worlds:
Men and Women: The third slot required some discussions but was settled relatively quickly by assessing comprehensive competitiveness of remaining candidates.
Pairs: Miura/Kihara was selected based on communicated assurances from Coach Marcott and Kihara, that the team would be ready to compete by 4CC. 2nd Team will be sent pending Tech Minimums.
Dance: TBA
4CC:
Men and Women: Both Kagiyama and Chiba need to boost their WS, so they will be sent. Remaining slots were filled based on Nationals results excluding those who declined (who were already selected for Worlds) or age ineligible.
Pairs: Miura/Kihara (See above)
Dance: Komatsubaras, Tanaka/Nishiyama, Yoshida/Morita will be sent. (See the last entry)
Junior Worlds:
Men: No major discussion required.
Women: The 3rd slot required some heated discussions. Ikura Kushida was chosen primarily due to her Silver at Junior Nationals and comprehensive competitiveness.
Dance and Pairs: Very few candidates, so no major discussions.
Press Query:
What selection required the most discussion?
Takeuchi: Undoubtedly the Ice Dance. Keeping it TBA was unprecedented so final selection procedure for the Worlds will need to be agreed at JSF Board Meeting on 28th January 2024.

Last edited:

Mell

No outrage over the men´s world spots?
Because last year, all hell broke loose when Sota Yamamoto was selected fo Worlds. He came to Nationals as a GPF silver medalist, he had his body of work speaking for him, but people acted like he was just some random dude the "incompetent" JSF was selecting for Worlds- over Koshiro Shimada, who had zero results at international competitions but medaled at Nationals.
But now we have Sota as a GP winner and National bronze medalist, but no anger over Kao Miura being selected over him for Worlds? The double standards are glaring...

skatingguy

decently
Because last year, all hell broke loose when Sota Yamamoto was selected fo Worlds. He came to Nationals as a GPF silver medalist, he had his body of work speaking for him, but people acted like he was just some random dude the "incompetent" JSF was selecting for Worlds- over Koshiro Shimada, who had zero results at international competitions but medaled at Nationals.
But now we have Sota as a GP winner and National bronze medalist, but no anger over Kao Miura being selected over him for Worlds? The double standards are glaring...
I think Yamamoto had his shot last season at Worlds, and missed, and he had his chance to make the Grand Prix Final this season, and missed. Miura has shown to be the more consistent skater. He also won a Grand Prix event, and won World Juniors, and Four Continents last season. It makes sense to send Miura.

Last edited:

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
The only person I can remember caring all that much about that injustice was Uno, who is Shimada’s training mate and friend. I don’t blame him for standing up for his friend, but I think most impartial observers realised Shimada’s national medal was a bit of a fluke and JSF’s criteria allowed for flexibility in the selection process, so…

Maybe there was more drama among Japanese fans, but over here most people thought the decision made sense IIRC.

On My Own

FWIW if anyone had been "pulled" from the world team to make room for Shimada (or Kao or Shun Sato), it probably would have been Tomono (3rd at nationals, just a point above Sato), not Sota Yamamoto, who was pretty locked in as the GPF silver medalist.
This was what I'd thought last year lol. IDK why Uno's interview would have been about Yamamoto's worlds spot or Uno's (absent) 4CC spot as was being suggested on this board last year.

Uno's not going to 4CC this season either. He's already won all colours of the medal, why would he need to?

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Were you here last year for this "all hell broke loose" because you only joined a month ago? Neither skaters are favorites of mine but I think the situation if very understandable considering that last 12 months of results and actual skates. Kao needs to fix his spins and stop putting them on the backburner or at least that is what is appears like.

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
FWIW if anyone had been "pulled" from the world team to make room for Shimada (or Kao or Shun Sato), it probably would have been Tomono (3rd at nationals, just a point above Sato), not Sota Yamamoto, who was pretty locked in as the GPF silver medalist.
And it worked out ..a sixth for Kazuki combined w Shoma's first..kept those three spots. #thelittleenginethatdid

layman

Sota Yamamoto's Japanese Nationals 2024 freeskate was the absolute best that I have ever seen him skate. As ultra-impressive as his jumps were (2 quad toes w/one in combination, a quad salchow, a 3-axel half loop 3-salchow combination, another single 3-axel that was even better than the 1st one, a 3-flip/2-axel sequence, and a beauty of a 3-lutz to close the program), I was more impressed with everything happening in between the jumps, the incredible shapes and pictures that Sota created on the ice, the way he used and emoted to his music, the fantastic line, stretch and turn-out that he maintained throughout the program, the fast and centered spins (with innovative positions)...even his crossovers seemed artistic...as he seemed to caress the ice...the glide and flow was sublime! I am truly mystified as to how anyone who skates like Sota skated could be left off the World team. It does not make any sense to me.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Sota Yamamoto's Japanese Nationals 2024 freeskate was the absolute best that I have ever seen him skate. As ultra-impressive as his jumps were (2 quad toes w/one in combination, a quad salchow, a 3-axel half loop 3-salchow combination, another single 3-axel that was even better than the 1st one, a 3-flip/2-axel sequence, and a beauty of a 3-lutz to close the program), I was more impressed with everything happening in between the jumps, the incredible shapes and pictures that Sota created on the ice, the way he used and emoted to his music, the fantastic line, stretch and turn-out that he maintained throughout the program, the fast and centered spins (with innovative positions)...even his crossovers seemed artistic...as he seemed to caress the ice...the glide and flow was sublime! I am truly mystified as to how anyone who skates like Sota skated could be left off the World team. It does not make any sense to me.
Because there’s a process to which Japan considered the spots. Sota won a gold medal on the Grand Prix and then skated so poorly in the second event that it knocked him out of the Final while three of his teammates earned tickets. He also had his less than stellar showing at Worlds last season.

layman

The USA would kill for Sota Yamamoto (on their World Team), as no American skater not named Ilia has skated as well this season as Sota did at his Nationals. If Japan does not want Sota, send him our way!

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
The USA would kill for Sota Yamamoto (on their World Team), as no American skater not named Ilia has skated as well this season as Sota did at his Nationals. If Japan does not want Sota, send him our way!
I’m not sure if saying that is the best he has ever skated etc and he only got third. Who said they don’t want Sota but he skated well 1.5 competitions this season.

Last edited:

skateboy

I'll chime in to agree with you.

While I do understand why Sota was left off the Worlds team in favor of Kao Miura (BOW and all that), I'm somehow not on the Miura bandwagon as much as I am with Sota's skating. Hoping he (Sota) has a great 4CCs.

On My Own

I was more impressed with everything happening in between the jumps, the incredible shapes and pictures that Sota created on the ice, the way he used and emoted to his music, the fantastic line, stretch and turn-out that he maintained throughout the program, the fast and centered spins (with innovative positions)...even his crossovers seemed artistic...as he seemed to caress the ice...the glide and flow was sublime!
We must be watching two different skaters? I also genuinely didn't like all the fist pumping after the jumps, thought it took away from the music. The step sequence made me keep wondering how Shoma would skate it.

Sota's third here is (probably) deserved, but I completely agree with Kao going to worlds.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Sota’s SP, Chameleon:

Sota’s LP, Exogenesis, which I love (the long lines, the sexy FACE):

skatfan

It is staggering the quality of the Japanese men that aren’t making it to worlds this year. The toughest field in the world!

Dobre

Because there’s a process to which Japan considered the spots. Sota won a gold medal on the Grand Prix and then skated so poorly in the second event that it knocked him out of the Final while three of his teammates earned tickets. He also had his less than stellar showing at Worlds last season.
It seems like more of a judgment call than we usually see after Japanese Nationals. Sota defeated Miura in both head-to-heads this season as well as last year's Nationals. But Miura did have a higher placement at his second GP and won a CS so his average placements this season are legitimately higher.

beckab81

It seems like more of a judgment call than we usually see after Japanese Nationals. Sota defeated Miura in both head-to-heads this season as well as last year's Nationals. But Miura did have a higher placement at his second GP and won a CS so his average placements this season are legitimately higher.
I thought it was extremely likely that Miura was going to worlds unless he bombed at Nationals because he made GPF, since that was a big part of the reason Sota went to Worlds last year. JSF appears to value consistency a LOT, and doesn't usually consider prior year. Sota really hurt his chances by struggling so much at his 2nd GP; while more consistent and higher performing than Koshiro last year, it was still a big ding for worlds selection.

Dobre

Had Miura medaled at the GPF, I might have agreed. (Sota was 2nd last season at the GPF). But I'm not a big fan of selecting athletes for Worlds because they qualified for the GPF. Regular GP events tend to have very different politics, scoring, and depth. But I do agree that body of work criteria (which Japan uses) prioritizes consistency over head-to-head results. Japan is looking to see if Miura can be more consistent than Sota. That's fair.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively

We must be watching two different skaters? I also genuinely didn't like all the fist pumping after the jumps, thought it took away from the music. The step sequence made me keep wondering how Shoma would skate it.

Sota's third here is (probably) deserved, but I completely agree with Kao going to worlds.
Agreed. Yes, the jumps were AMAZING. But almost nothing but stroking and crossovers between jumps. Except for the choreo sequence and steps, of course. I feel his upper body is VERY stiff, too, and his arms and hands are, eh. He has a ways to go before I'd call him artistic.

Agreed, though--if he weren't in such a competitive country he'd be going to worlds.

On My Own

Agreed. Yes, the jumps were AMAZING. But almost nothing but stroking and crossovers between jumps. Except for the choreo sequence and steps, of course. I feel his upper body is VERY stiff, too, and his arms and hands are, eh. He has a ways to go before I'd call him artistic.
I just also don't like when skaters don't vary their speed with the music and instead use their arms to 'acknowledge' it.

Maybe people are confused by his hot twunk superpowers. Which - I don't see that either, but some on twitter seem very convinced. Very pretty shirt though.

Hedwig

Antique member
I think Yamamoto is by far the most boring of all the world class Japanese men. Of course he would go to WOrlds in almost every other country but that is true of the top ten men in Japan. The competition was one of the best I ever saw, Worlds and Olympics included. It was a complete treat.
But then something like having zero charisma and almost no difficult transition content between the elements as Sota really stands out among the rest as being sub-par (for Japan) - for that reason alone I am very happy that Kao was chosen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information