Japanese figure skating 2023-24 season news & updates

YukiNieve

Kao Miura wrote a short essay for the digital Japanese newspaper website, Asahi-shinbun. (their articles in Japanese are usually behind the paywall but it is accessible for a limited time now)

Here are some summary/excerpt that I found interesting:

---
Kao found the rink during Skate Canada challenging due to the size difference (it is smaller than what he is used to) and the nature of ice which he felt soft on the surface but hard inside and rebounding.

After the unsatisfactory short program (he was 4th), Seigo Tauchi (a junior figure skater) called him and he got to talk with Seigo's coach, Miki Ando, who advised him that "(when you jump) tighten your body more quickly and hit your toe pick more lightly on the ice."

When he tried that advice before his free program, he felt that she was right.
Kao won the free skate.

---
Kao is scheduled to compete for GPS in Espoo with one of his best friends, Shun Sato.
---

I have always thought that Shun is exceptionally talented. People tend to focus on his jumps, such as his very qiuick jump rotations, but what amazes me is his ability to pick up each note (of the music). I rarely watch the videos of my own performances later, but I can't help but watch Shun's performances.

Marco

Kao, Shun and Sota have such a nice friendship and it is somewhat sad that, if Shoma and Yuma remain healthy, these 3 will probably have to keep fighting among themselves (maybe plus Kazuki) for the 1 spot for Worlds and next Olympics.

Marco

Kao, Shun and Sota have such a nice friendship and it is somewhat sad that, if Shoma and Yuma remain healthy, these 3 will probably have to keep fighting among themselves (maybe plus Kazuki) for the 1 spot for Worlds and next Olympics.
With how Espoo turned out, looks like Kao will make GPF and the other two not, the fight for that 3rd spot is almost over.

On My Own

Oh is Shoma's new SP costume a throwback to Mao's Clair de Lune?

I guess my "unpopular opinion" is that he's still the best Japanese man. Not that into Kagiyama as a performer (and find Miura better than him on that regard too). Shoma's SP steps are some of the more creative ones I've seen in a while.

YukiNieve

A clip of Shoma's interview with the Japanese reporters in the mixed zone after his free skate for GPF.

The excerpt below explains well how he feels about the sport and his fellow competitors.:giggle:

(Asked how many scores you need to think about to turn the tables) If you think too much about it, your rival's failure is a factor that has to be taken into account, and figure skating is not an interpersonal sport, so it's different from a sport where you do what your opponent doesn't like.

I think that figure skating is a sport where you have to keep fighting with yourself all the way. I think the opponents are rivals buy they are also comrades.

Of course, competing against each other for scores, competing at a high level, is a lot of fun, and I think it's more fun to watch, but you should not be too obsessed with that aspect.

I'd like to approach this sport with the mindset and the relationships with my opponents that I can say directly to them "I lost to you this time but I want to win next time." I think all six of us who are here now have that kind of mentality, so I'm very comfortable with them.

skatingguy

decently
The Japan Skating Federation announced on the 11th that figure skating pair Riki Miura and Ryuichi Kihara (Kinoshita Group) will be absent from the All Japan Championships (Nagano), which starts on the 21st of this month. The reason is that Kihara's lumbar spondylolysis has not completely healed.

Jammers

Pairs with M/K and C/H being out this season and K/F retiring has made Pairs which was already depleted with the Russians being banned hard to watch to be honest. Just not enough good teams made worse with injuries to some of the top teams.

Tak

With Japan Nationals set to start on 21st December (only three days to go), Japan Skating Federation issued a document outlining this season's accomplishments for each selection criteria for Worlds, 4CC and Junior Worlds for all disciplines. Since last season's selection was some what controversial, JSF did announce such a document will be issued.
The list is rather complicated and list names of skaters who are ranked 1st to 3rd for each selection criteria for the second and third slots, with skaters lower than third (the names with asterisk) will move up if skaters ranked higher are selected for first or second slot. The first slot, of course, will be filled by the Nationals winner of each discipline. The selection criteria for Worlds are as follows;
Men:
2nd Slot: Shoma Uno and Yuma Kagiyama are first and second in both Highest two finishers at GPF and Top 3 Seasons Best Scores. Kao Miura* is third in both criteria, with Shun Sato* is fourth in SB.
3rd Slot:
World Standing Top 3: Shoma Uno, Kao Miura, Kazuki Tomono, Shun Sato*, Yuma Kagiyama*
Season World Ranking Top 3: Yuma Kagiyama, Kao Miura, Shoma Uno, Shun Sato*, Sota Yamamoto*
Averaged Scores Top 3: Shoma Uno, Yuma Kagiyama, Shun Sato, Kao Miura*, Kazuki Tomono*
Women:
2nd Slot: Kaori Sakamoto and Hana Yoshida are the highest two finishers at GPF and SB. Rion Sumiyoshi* was third for GPF, Rinka Watanabe third and Rino Matsuike* fourth for SB.
3rd Slot:
World Standing Top 3: Kaori Sakamoto, Mai Mihara, Rinka Watanabe, Hana Yoshida*, Mone Chiba*
SWR Top3: Kaori Sakamoto, Hana Yoshida, Rinka Watanabe, Rion Sumiyoshi*, Mone Chiba*
Averaged Scores Top 3: Kaori Sakamoto, Hana Yoshida, Rion Sumiyoshi, Rinka Watanabe*, Yuna Aoki*
For Pairs only pair listed for WS and SB is Miura/Kihara. It is presumed that the degree of recovery from Kihara's injury will determine if they can take part in Worlds. In Dance, only Komatsubaras are listed for WS and SB.
For 4CC, finishing in top 10 at Nationals is the first criteria, then top 6 of WS, SWR, SB and Average Scores.
What surprised me most was Junior Worlds women selection criteria.
Mao Shimada, since she won Japan Juniors, was highlighted as selected just like Shunsuke Nakamura for Men. For Top 3 SB in Junior Women, they listed Mao Shimada, Hana Yoshida, Rino Matsuike, Rena Uezono. To the best of my knowledge, netither Hana (Bronze at Senior GPF) nor Rino (Bronze at Skate Canada) competed in any Junior event this season, although they are both still age eligible for junior events. This seems rather unfair for Ikura Kushida or Yo Takagi who are next in line in Juniors. Also Ami Nakai is not mentioned at all, perhaps due to her injury, even though she did compete in JGPF, and won two JGPS scoring rather high scores, this season. Mao and Rena Uezono will probably be selected, but the third slot could go to, pehaps Rino Matsuike.

Last edited:

On My Own

Happy to see Miura going to Worlds instead of Yamamoto.

No opinion on the women's selections because they all blend together this season, even Sakamoto due to her programs. Should be an easy victory for Sakamoto at worlds, though, seeing how things have been going this season.

I hope the logic behind two teams for worlds but only one for 4CCs is the lack of 4CC TES mins for the second pair and nothing galaxy brain level. (You know I could check skating scores to see if this is the case, but it just doesn't load half the time) (Oh it just did, and yep, looks like they don't have 4CC SP mins)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information