Japanese figure skating 2023-24 season news & updates

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I hope that our figure skating-fan-friends in Western Japan (Ishikawa prefecture, especially) are staying safe after the earthquakes & tsunami warnings today! 🙏

We also have a thread in our Zamboni/Off the beaten track thread…

Last edited:

ChillSkate

Women:
2nd Slot: Kaori Sakamoto and Hana Yoshida are the highest two finishers at GPF and SB. Rion Sumiyoshi* was third for GPF, Rinka Watanabe third and Rino Matsuike* fourth for SB.
3rd Slot:
World Standing Top 3: Kaori Sakamoto, Mai Mihara, Rinka Watanabe, Hana Yoshida*, Mone Chiba*
SWR Top3: Kaori Sakamoto, Hana Yoshida, Rinka Watanabe, Rion Sumiyoshi*, Mone Chiba*
Averaged Scores Top 3: Kaori Sakamoto, Hana Yoshida, Rion Sumiyoshi, Rinka Watanabe*, Yuna Aoki*

Does anyone understand why Mone Chiba was selected for Worlds? She seems to be ranked quite low on these selection criteria.

ChillSkate

Podium at Nationals was a pretty big deal.
Right ... though in the Mens, Sota got bronze at Nationals and wasn't selected and he was just about in the same position (towards the end) in the selection criteria as Mone?

Not trying to argue, just genuinely trying to understand how the selection criteria works.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Right ... though in the Mens, Sota got bronze at Nationals and wasn't selected and he was just about in the same position (towards the end) in the selection criteria as Mone?

Not trying to argue, just genuinely trying to understand how the selection criteria works.
I don't think it is right to compare Mone to Sota in the selection process for several reasons.

The third spot in the men went to Kao, 3rd GPF qualifier, who finished 4th at Nats and is also the reigning 4CCs and WJC champion (and also qualified for the GPF last season too) - none of the women in the mix have that kind of BOW. Mone finished 2nd at Nats, 10 & 15 points ahead of Mai and Rinka respectively (neither of whom made the GPF) and scored 25 points higher than Rion (the 3rd GPF qualifier among the women). Additionally, not only did Sota not make the GPF this year, he bombed at Worlds last season. I'd argue that Sota was more comparable to Rinka than Mone, who did manage bronze at 4CCs in her only senior comp last season. Sure, Mone didn't exactly skate well on the GP but most of the Japanese women were just as inconsistent and Rion really bombed Nats (as well as the GPF) and took herself out of consideration for the 3rd spot. Neither Mai nor Rinka had a stronger case for the spot than Mone when all was said and done. Kao at least had a solid 4th place at Nats and the GPF to fall back on to support his selection over Sota.

Last edited:

YukiNieve

I just got back from two trips back to back and heard/viewed (they allowed the audience to take the video of the entire show by their cell phones) a lot about Daisuke's totally new conceptual show, Kassouya. I know there is a thread about this show so I will post some video links there if I can, but for now let me just say this -

Tomoki in Carmen habanera is so cool!

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
I just got back from two trips back to back and heard/viewed (they allowed the audience to take the video of the entire show by their cell phones) a lot about Daisuke's totally new conceptual show, Kassouya. I know there is a thread about this show so I will post some video links there if I can, but for now let me just say this -

Tomoki in Carmen habanera is so cool!
Kazuki is my favorite skater and I have been enjoying all of the clips of him.

zigzig

Jammers

The age limit means that almost every competitor at the Olympics will be an adult. Which I agree with.
I have no problem with 17 years old at the Olympics which Shimada will be in Feb 2026 yet she will have to wait 4 more years i just think the age limit should be 16 not 17. What does she really have to prove now she has to go back to Juniors for TWO more years instead of going up against the top ladies and pushing herself to get better she has to keep treading water in Juniors when she clearly is ready to move on against better competition.

Sylvia

TBD
Posting these links before @japanice ;) (as well as in the Junior Worlds news/articles thread in Kiss & Cry):

Rio Nakata wins silver (229.31), Shunsuke Nakamura moves up to 4th (215.46), Haru Kakiuchi 17th (192.82):
Sara KISHIMOTO / Atsuhiko TAMURA were 12th in their JW debut in dance.

Shimada wins gold again (218.36), Rena Uezono moves up to bronze (194.70), Ikura Kushida 5th (180.97):
Sae SHIMIZU / Lucas Tsuyoshi HONDA placed 14th in their JW debut in pairs (just their 2nd international together).

Men's SP:

Women's SP:

coppertop1

The fact that 17 is considered unreasonable says quite a lot about how normalized it has become to have fifteen-year-old girls dominating figure skating. Most women are 17 when they make their senior debut any way. Mao will be 21 in 2030. Twenty-one isn't old at all. Akiko Suzuki made her international debut at 24.

On My Own

It is normal to be concerned about age limits due to the limited time athletes have at their physical peak.

Just as an example:
Akiko Suzuki made her international debut at 24.
This is because she was anorexic. It worked out for her, but on the other hand, there's a very valid argument to be made that in fact you DON'T want people to be around this sport for so long.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information