2024 World Figure Skating Championships in Montreal

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Thank you. I assume that's for meals, right? I didn't know you'd tip even for takeout.

And how about self-service cafe, house keeping at hotel, cab/uber??
I think this is a generational thing and also a worked in tipped service vs. not, but even if you are picking up a to go order, someone is typically taking the time to box everything properly, label it if it’s a larger order with specific instructions, making sure condiments and everything else is correct, etc. And they are doing all of this while still most likely making tipped employee wage, which is well under minimum wage in most places. Restaurants typically don’t hire a ‘to go’ person but rather depend on their servers and bartenders to get all of this prepared and out the door while still navigating the in-house patrons.

I remember once when I was still in Ohio, I had a $250 or so to go order with very, very meticulous instructions for each of the people who had ordered. It took even longer to get all of that ready than just having served a table, and I was handed exact change. Just delightful.

YukiNieve

Aw man, this place looked really good with vegan goodies on the menu, but they're closed for renovations :( https://www.sweetlees.ca/en/home-2
I looked at the website and I cannot find where it says closed?
Anyhow, there seems to be another bakery that has vegan items near Verdun Auditorium:
(If you love vegan foods, you know this website, right? ;))

Former Lurve Goddess

LOL, I did say it was stupid but have found the small travel packs less readily available at kiosks and convenience stores (aka depanneurs or “deps”) than before.

Orange line Twitter: @stm_Orange
Green line Twitter: @stm_Verte

Lucien L’Allier is a quite deep station btw, expect several escalator flights and a few minutes to exit and reach the Bell Centre. Fun fact, you’ll pass by the commuter trains I take all the time. Sadly the last one leaves at 9:15pm so stuck taking the bus home anyway during Worlds.
I used to live near the Lucien L’Allier station way before the Bell Centre was built and it was kind of terrifying at night. That’s changed now that the area has been built up and gentrified.

smurfy

I think this is a generational thing and also a worked in tipped service vs. not, but even if you are picking up a to go order, someone is typically taking the time to box everything properly, label it if it’s a larger order with specific instructions, making sure condiments and everything else is correct, etc. And they are doing all of this while still most likely making tipped employee wage, which is well under minimum wage in most places. Restaurants typically don’t hire a ‘to go’ person but rather depend on their servers and bartenders to get all of this prepared and out the door while still navigating the in-house patrons.

I remember once when I was still in Ohio, I had a $250 or so to go order with very, very meticulous instructions for each of the people who had ordered. It took even longer to get all of that ready than just having served a table, and I was handed exact change. Just delightful.

Also - here in the US - since Covid - people are tipping the full amount on take out, vs before not tipping or a smaller %.
And when you pay for takeout - with a credit card - the screen prompts for a tip. Just my observation

livetoskate

For anyone wanting to take bus 747 from YUL to downtown this video guides you step by step.
Thanks, sheetz! That video is so helpful. Another question for people in Montreal- are there public restrooms in the subway station?

Judy

ha. I had the same reaction. Canada still has lots of options for buying tissues, so unless people have some sort of an "addiction" to the Kleenex brand, they will be just fine.
But everyone will still call it Kleenex despite the brand 😆.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
LOL, I did say it was stupid but have found the small travel packs less readily available at kiosks and convenience stores (aka depanneurs or “deps”) than before.

Orange line Twitter: @stm_Orange
Green line Twitter: @stm_Verte

Lucien L’Allier is a quite deep station btw, expect several escalator flights and a few minutes to exit and reach the Bell Centre. Fun fact, you’ll pass by the commuter trains I take all the time. Sadly the last one leaves at 9:15pm so stuck taking the bus home anyway during Worlds.
Good point, Bonaventure is probably less hassle than Lucien L'Allier.

I don't go downtown much and I avoid like hell the underground-city system connecting the stations unless in extreme weather, there's too many floors and shops and different exits and I still get lost after years of living here. I much prefer walking outside on the street and entering the metro stations from there.

For those asking about restrooms, there aren't any in the smaller metro stations that are not part of the underground-city system downtown (for example Verdun). But there are restrooms close close to the downtown stations as part of services of the underground city (those close to the Bell center or the competition official hotels).

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I looked at the website and I cannot find where it says closed?
Anyhow, there seems to be another bakery that has vegan items near Verdun Auditorium:
(If you love vegan foods, you know this website, right? ;))

I clicked on the Order Online Menu and it says they’re closed for renovations from March 12 to April 30.

Thanks for the other links!!

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Has anyone been to a Habs game or other ice event at Centre Bell recently? How cold is it? And is the 200 level significantly warmer than ice level?

Debbie S

Yes, I can. Although the print-outs have a tiny QR code which may or may not be easy to be scanned.

ETA: I just purchased practice tickets for my friend and, yes, Debbie, you are right. When I hit "Print tickets," the screen says "Sorry, there was an error with your ticket." But the tickets are in my Eventbrite app and I can send them to Apple Wallet if I want to. Instead I hit Share Ticket and sent them to my friend. Hope this works.
It looks like either a technical glitch or Skate Canada disabling PDF option?
OK, I finally got the tickets to print without an error message. Phew.

A professional association I'm a member of uses Eventbrite for events/ticketing, but I always get a "this is your ticket" email from Eventbrite (although I haven't attended any in-person events since Covid) and never had to print anything from their website. And I never had to actually bring a ticket or show the email since the org has a list of attendees at the check-in table.

ETA: Well, I just registered for my first in-person event with the professional association since Covid and it appears that the "login for your tickets" email is now standard with Eventbrite. But thankfully, as I noted above, I don't need to print anything out.

Last edited:

midori

Does anyone know if practice rink tickets can be purchased at the venue on the day of the event? I would rather avoid using paypal...

Debbie S

Does anyone know if practice rink tickets can be purchased at the venue on the day of the event? I would rather avoid using paypal...
I would doubt it. Secondary rinks don't usually have a box office and typically the procedure is show your ticket, usual bag search/metal detector, and off you go. There's nothing in the email we got to indicate tickets will be sold in person.

waltzonice

For anyone interested in skating, the weather has sadly be so warm or variable this winter that I managed to skate outdoor on natural ice exactly once. Even the Lac Aux Castors on top of Mount Royal is closed. The artificial outdoor rink at L'esplanade Tranquille near Place des Arts should still be open, they have skates rental service and lockers and sometimes events going on. Otherwise the indoor one at the Atrium 1000 in the underground downtown system is open but skating outdoors near Place des Arts is much nicer.
Thanks for the skating info! I'm trying to decide whether or not to pack my skates. I see that skates are in the approved carry on list for both US and Canada, so at least I don't have to worry about checking them.

I'm staying at the Marriott Chateau Champlain and the Atrium 1000 is right next door! Anyone else planning to skate while in Montreal?

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Guess I need to buy my tickets for practices then!

See you all soon! I'm so excited. Bringing my knee brace and hoping for the best :rofl: I did find the warm puffy coat I bought for GPF in Torino, so I won't be freeeezing!

Considering bringing my skates just so the Edea guys can try to fix them. They sold me a C width at 4CCs and I need a D width :drama: but I can't even skate until end of the year 😥

jlai

Question everything
Must arrivecan be completed before arriving? Can you just show up with a us passport and I’d?

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
I’ve gotten practice tickets for Monday and Tuesday, but not sure whether I’d even have much chance to go thereafter since the competition will have begun. Any thoughts/recommendations from those who’ve analyzed the schedules?

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I’ve gotten practice tickets for Monday and Tuesday, but not sure whether I’d even have much chance to go thereafter since the competition will have begun. Any thoughts/recommendations from those who’ve analyzed the schedules?
My experiences is that the skaters do more full run throughs earlier and lighter ones the day of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information