2024 World Figure Skating Championships in Montreal

Judy

Thank you, but the question was just about the airport shuttle, not the normal metro (we get a pass for it). But I guess the site I found and linked must be valid.
Ahhh sorry I misunderstood. I’ve no experiences with shuttles.

AnnM

For anyone interested in skating, the weather has sadly be so warm or variable this winter that I managed to skate outdoor on natural ice exactly once. Even the Lac Aux Castors on top of Mount Royal is closed. The artificial outdoor rink at L'esplanade Tranquille near Place des Arts should still be open, they have skates rental service and lockers and sometimes events going on. Otherwise the indoor one at the Atrium 1000 in the underground downtown system is open but skating outdoors near Place des Arts is much nicer.

What are the odds of the sliding hills at Mont Royal still being open the last week of March?

mocha-ice

Sorry, it was talked about already, but I wanted to make sure: I was told that to get from the airport to the city by bus you apparently need cash. Is this really still true?
As this site here talks sbout an app or being able to use a vending machine that takes credit card.

It can be paid by cash (11$ must be exact change) on the bus.

The “vending machines” that sell fares accept cash or card.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
There won't be any snow for snow activities left on Mt Royal at this time, perhaps just a bit leftovers under the shaded areas or the sides of the road but that's it.

For the "shuttle" bus, it's actually a regular bus service from the STM circuit (society of transport in montreal) that looks like all the other buses in montreal (but has more space for luggage). The number is 747, and last time I checked was one the far right side at the arrivals (but there are directions at the airport anyways). You can buy tickets inside the airport at the arrivals from the vending machines with any credit card or pay in exact cash at the driver. I think this year I've seen the machines in the bus where you can tap your credit card appear, but I would buy from the vending machine in advance to make sure it works. If you're more than one person and with luggage, it starts to be convenient taking an Uber or a taxi. Uber rates vary but to downtown should be around 60 cad at this time.

kimkom

There is an app. Here’s the webpage with all of the info.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I believe that there was mention here earlier of the State Funeral being planned for former Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney which will take place in Montreal on March 23rd. The location, Notre-Dame Basilica, has now been confirmed in this press release:

OTTAWA, ON, March 13, 2024 /CNW/ - Canadian Heritage officials will hold a virtual information session for media on Friday to provide information about the state funeral for the Right Honourable Brian Mulroney, P.C., C.C., G.O.Q., which will take place on March 23, 2024, at the Notre-Dame Basilica of Montréal. The lying-in state will commence on Tuesday, March 19, 2024, in Ottawa, followed by the lying-in-repose beginning on Thursday, March 21, 2024, and the state funeral on Saturday, March 23, 2024, in Montréal.

This location is further away from the Bell Centre.

Former Lurve Goddess

I believe that there was mention here earlier of the State Funeral being planned for former Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney which will take place in Montreal on March 23rd. The location, Notre-Dame Basilica, has now been confirmed in this press release:

This location is further away from the Bell Centre.
Interesting that it’s a Notre Dame but good for those of us at the Bell Centre.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Stupid thing I should mention - Kleenex has stopped selling their brand tissues in Canada, so would suggest packing some if you prefer it.

Judy

What are the odds of the sliding hills at Mont Royal still being open the last week of March?
I personally have NO snow in Ottawa. The Canadian Geese are back really, really early too. Lol

I’m at the point now where I hope my city is doing street cleaning lol (prob not)

Sylvia

TBD
I saw that a local person mentioned on Twitter/X that the closer exit to the Verdun Auditorium practice rink is the "one near the middle of the platform" (rather than the one at the end), says it's in a nice location and highly recommends walking around Wellington Street near the practice rink "because they have some cute bakeries, cafes, and restaurants."
Practice rink (metro stop is De L'Eglise on the green line): https://montreal.ca/en/places/auditorium-de-verdun

Centre Bell metro stop (orange line): Lucien-L'Allier

Transfer from orange to green & vice versa at Lionel-Groulx: https://www.stm.info/sites/default/files/media/Stminfo/images/a-plan-metro-blanc.pdf

ETA - do all event ticket holders have to purchase a pratice ticket separately for Verdun? Sounds like it:
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/champio...ating-championships-2024-tickets-852485586337

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I saw that a local person mentioned on Twitter/X that the closer exit to the Verdun Auditorium practice rink is the "one near the middle of the platform" (rather than the one at the end), says it's in a nice location and highly recommends walking around Wellington Street near the practice rink "because they have some cute bakeries, cafes, and restaurants."
Aw man, this place looked really good with vegan goodies on the menu, but they're closed for renovations :( https://www.sweetlees.ca/en/home-2

snoopysnake

Have the practice group lineups been released yet? Trying to perfectly time sneaking out of work on Monday and Tuesday…
I had sent a Facebook PM to Montreal 2024 page earlier this week and they said it would be posted on montreal2024.com after the ISU approved it. I wonder if the skaters themselves even know what practice groups they are in. I like knowing things ahead of time and it's driving me crazy as a spectator not knowing when my favorite skaters will practice. It's starting Monday, for Pete's sake!

Debbie S

Has anyone tried purchasing practice rink tix through the Eventbrite link? Is there some secret to accessing the actual tickets? I paid, got the confirmation, got the login link to "Go to my tickets", and all I see is a print option (that doesn't actually work) and a list of each day ticket, with a note that they are e-delivery, except I see no way to put them on my phone. Is there really no other way except to log into Eventbrite and show them the ticket list each time we arrive at the rink? WTF?

levineismine

For the metro to the Verdun auditorium, from the Bell centre or around there, either metro station Bonaventure or Lucien L'Allier, it's the orange metro direction Cote Vertu. The change in Lionel Groulx to the green line is super easy, it's the opposite tracks on the same level, literally 20m in front, no need to take stairs, direction Angrignon. The metro stop on the green line is called de l'Eglise. Once at the station, take the exit with the sign for Rue de L'Eglise, and you'll step out on that street. You turn left and you see down the road past a traffic light the Auditorium, with a mega "verdun auditorium" sign next to it. Voilà! The whole thing shouldn't take more than 20-25 min from when you hop on the first metro.
If you're anywhere else around downtown you can also directly hop on the green line or on another station of the orange line.
Also, worth checking the Twitter of the STM metro, it's generally where they update rather quickly if there are major disturbances to the service.

Last edited:

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
LOL, I did say it was stupid but have found the small travel packs less readily available at kiosks and convenience stores (aka depanneurs or “deps”) than before.

Orange line Twitter: @stm_Orange
Green line Twitter: @stm_Verte

Lucien L’Allier is a quite deep station btw, expect several escalator flights and a few minutes to exit and reach the Bell Centre. Fun fact, you’ll pass by the commuter trains I take all the time. Sadly the last one leaves at 9:15pm so stuck taking the bus home anyway during Worlds.

Last edited:

levineismine

In Verdun, I also highly recommend a walk on Wellington street (in both directions from metro de L'Eglise), there's an embarrassment of riches in terms or restaurants from all cuisines, cafes, boulageries, bookstores, local markets, etc, I can't even start naming them.
If you have time and the weather is nice, the Verdun auditorium is basically in the middle of a parc along the St Laurent River, so a walk there is also a good option!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Has anyone tried purchasing practice rink tix through the Eventbrite link? Is there some secret to accessing the actual tickets? I paid, got the confirmation, got the login link to "Go to my tickets", and all I see is a print option (that doesn't actually work) and a list of each day ticket, with a note that they are e-delivery, except I see no way to put them on my phone. Is there really no other way except to log into Eventbrite and show them the ticket list each time we arrive at the rink? WTF?
Can you save the page as a pdf and print that?

peibeck

Simply looking
I had sent a Facebook PM to Montreal 2024 page earlier this week and they said it would be posted on montreal2024.com after the ISU approved it. I wonder if the skaters themselves even know what practice groups they are in. I like knowing things ahead of time and it's driving me crazy as a spectator not knowing when my favorite skaters will practice. It's starting Monday, for Pete's sake!

Having attended several Worlds (alas, I won't be in Montreal), I've noticed Monday practices at the main rink have a low attendance rate from skaters (especially the earlier practice sessions in the day). I enjoy watching practices and meeting up with fellow FSU-ers to snark early in the week, but I've also been sometimes frustrated by sitting in a cold arena all day waiting only to have my faves not show and practice for "ME!" :drama: :lol: :fragile:

Debbie S

Can you save the page as a pdf and print that?
No, they don't appear as PDFs or even separate pages, just a list of each date. I suppose I could print that page. As I posted above, when I hit "print tickets", I got a message that there was an error with my ticket and contact the event organizer.

Has anyone been able to print a ticket?

YukiNieve

Has anyone been able to print a ticket?
Yes, I can. Although the print-outs have a tiny QR code which may or may not be easy to be scanned.

ETA: I just purchased practice tickets for my friend and, yes, Debbie, you are right. When I hit "Print tickets," the screen says "Sorry, there was an error with your ticket." But the tickets are in my Eventbrite app and I can send them to Apple Wallet if I want to. Instead I hit Share Ticket and sent them to my friend. Hope this works.
It looks like either a technical glitch or Skate Canada disabling PDF option?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information