2023-2024 Skate Canada Challenge – Junior/Senior

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Does anyone know how many of the 33 Sr. Women already have a bye to Nationals?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Ugh, two falls for Rose. :( Kudos to her for selling the program all the way to the end, regardless.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Pretty good skate from Justine Miclette, she is such a nice mature skater, shoukd be good PCS. Didnt get the tripre triple out, not enough flow after the first jump. 58.42 into 5th place

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
17 of the women skating here will be at Nationals along with Schizas, although I think Ruiter and Fiona and Sara-Maude may already have byes and maybe Miclette, but anyway. None of them are in danger of finishing outside of top 17 so I'm just mentally going with 17 here will make Nats unless I am forgetting someone.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
That should be the gold (and maybe the Youth Olympics?) for Lulu.
She's too young for youth olympics (born in 2010; skaters born between 2006 and 2009 are age eligible).

I wonder who got the spot (Ruiter has the highest ISU season best score of those eligible. It may affect how many skaters qualify to nationals in junior or senior depending on who is selected.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Bombardier started with three good triples but doubled the rest of the planned triples with some wonky landings. She only has a couple of hours until she skates her pairs free in the other rink.

Amy L

Fiona didn't land a single clean jump or throw, mostly turn-outs or two-foots, one fall. I haven't seen her in pairs until this competition so I don't know if she's just exhausted or she's still so new to pairs that she doesn't have a handle on timing yet.

Amy L

Carignan/Pierro were much better than my memory of them. Émy can hit some really pretty positions, the gyno lift at the end surely could have been anything else :shuffle:

This competition had a whole lot of mistakes on the sbs doubles. The internationally competitive Canadian pairs weren't here, and that was fairly obvious.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
After 16 Sr Women, Fiona still sits in first place. She and Gabriel finished in 2nd in the Sr Pairs but it was very close.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
There were a few glitches with the feed during Roccatani's skate (and now we've lost sounds on the replay). But she landed a lot of stuff and the tracker has her with by far the top tech score, we'll see how it holds up on review.

ETA her tech didn't drop that much, over 52 points and that was a very happy kiss and cry.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Great start for Théroux which is nice to see after she struggled in the free at her JGP and at sectionals, and her short here. Oops down on the triple sal and triple toe and popped the next salchow. Oops again spoke too soon. Should easily qualify though.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
It looks like Foura has the final spot for nationals at this point, though one more skater may advance depending on who gets the Youth Olympics spot (assuming the YOG skaters do not compete at nationals).

danafan

Canadian ladies über
We have lost the tech tracker the last couple of skaters. I wonder if that was causing the glitching on the stream. '

Lussier didn't react much to her score/ranking so I wonder if she's trying to figure out if she qualified (I think she has) but doesn't realize it yet.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Okay the feed is really wonky right now, video and audio. I hope they fix this. This is like my favourite competition of the year LOL

Colonel Green

Fiona didn't land a single clean jump or throw, mostly turn-outs or two-foots, one fall. I haven't seen her in pairs until this competition so I don't know if she's just exhausted or she's still so new to pairs that she doesn't have a handle on timing yet.
She’s been better at their earlier events, but if you combine newness plus trying to do both disciplines I am sure it adds up.

honey

I wish Katherine Medland Spence would give it a go with some alternative coaching. She has the jumping talent to be consistently battling for medals at nationals. And it seems it’s always the same in competition and the mistakes will keep her middle of the pack (or lower today :yikes: )

This isn’t a diss on her current coaches btw. They have clearly done very well with her and she has really wonderful qualities. It’s just that I feel she’s not going to hit her potential this way. I know nothing about her situation though and I assume she’s happy in the Ottawa area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information