Downton Abbey Season 6 - PBS broadcast

Jenny

From the Bloc
I thoroughly enjoyed that - happy endings all round, all our favourite characters at their best, the door slightly ajar for a special down the road, and my oh my, the clothes!

In particular, the beadwork on Edith's clothes this season has been exquisite, and did everyone notice the smart city dress with the scarf cleverly tucked through the front of the dress? We only once got to see Mary at a fashion show - might have been fun to indulge us in a bit more of the shopping/tailoring etc - ladies of their ilk would usually shop London several times a year, and often Paris as well. I believe they updated Violet this season as well - less of the Victorian lacy stuff and more sharply tailored coats and perfected perched hats. The other standout, in a much quieter way of course, has been Isobel - she had several dresses, coats and hats last night that were super stylish, and clearly very, very well made. And the colour palette! :swoon:

I also thought Bertie's mother looked like the epitome of the period - the makeup and hair were perfect! Shame they rushed that storyline though - I can see that a well bred lady knows when she's been bested (similar to Violet with the hospital) and then turns her attention to making the most of it (or "good enough" to quote Violet, again), but the turnaround in just a half day was a bit much. It would have been nicer (for me at least!) to see that drawn out a bit more. I also would have loved more insights into Edith's new life - we certainly got a good look at the outside of the castle and several of the fantastic rooms (when your drawing rooms have to be distinguished with colour names you know you have a lot of square footage :)) including a glorious dining room scene (more of the food would have made me happy, but there you go). But I would have loved a scene of Edith wandering about her new home, discovering new rooms, getting lost, maybe with Marigold in tow, and getting a better sense of the servants.

The other thing I'm left with now is how much I've enjoyed the relationship between Violet and Isobel evolve over the years. Isobel was such an annoying character through the first few seasons, and now she's ended up one of my favourites, and I enjoyed their intimate little chats.

One funny thing is that we did not learn the name of Baby Bates. Or did I miss it?

And can we please have a spinoff series focused on Sprat's double life??

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
I loved the finale -- and am sad that the series is over, but think that the timing to end it was right. Looking forward to a movie or one-off special, should it materialize.

For @Jenny and others who loved Downton Abbey's marvelous costumes, there is a touring exhibit of them -- it is in Chicago now, among other cities around the country. Here's the "Dressing Dowton" tour schedule.

Artemis@BC

Well, Fellowes went all-out for the fans. I really thought that there's be someone with a sad ending, death or love lost or something. I mean, even Carson's Parkinsons is only going to be a small set-back for him.

Not that I'm complaining, I do like happy endings. I was just surprised that everything was so very, very neat and tidy.

And how very appropriate that Violet got the last word.

kittyjake5

Edith's wedding dress was gorgeous, very smart and modern and then as she took her father's arm and they
started the wedding march we see them from the back and I actually gasped at the long traditional wedding train,
pure class!

danceronice

Corgi Wrangler
I was a little....Eh. It was all a little TOO neat and Talbot was crammed in extraneously. (I love how Mary being like "Keep it quiet until after the wedding so we don't steal Edith's thunder" to him was "Bring it up while she's literally walking down the aisle".) He and Editor can run off in a couple years and leave Mary and Tom to their real true loves--Downton and Cars.

Also, did they telegraph that Carson was getting Parkinson's in earlier episodes and I blinked and missed it or was this sudden onset is SUDDEN? It felt like Fellowes could have set a lot more of this up a little better--Thomas goes from suicidal unemployable to job with Lord and Lady Boring, and is back as a guest (why? Sybil or Mary, okay--Sybil he KNEW, Mary likes him because George does, I would have gotten that, but has Edith ever even SPOKEN to Thomas?) just in time for Carson to realize he's not able to do his job, but Mosley's gone and their only remaining footman can barely read and wants to be a pig farmer so wherever can they find a replac--oh, hi, Thomas! Bored to death at the Home For Elderly Aristocrats? Guess what!

I did like Anna temporarily NOT being the sensible one ("You're helping me undress? Let me put this stuff away! I can't have a baby in here!") and Mary is like "FOCUS ON THE BIG PICTURE HERE."

And Edith gets my vote for Best Wedding Dress. MAYBE a tie with Rose's long formal one for the party (rather than her registry office suit) but I like lace. I thought Edith easily got the best headpiece and veil, too.

Jenny

From the Bloc
It might not be Parkinson's - there can be other causes of shaky hands. I looked at it as *finally* - all season Andy has had one foot out the door, and Moseley has had ambitions for years, so the very idea that the most qualified and experienced servant - and the one who wants the most to be there - should be the one to go was ridiculous. I get that he was a bad egg - but if he was that bad he should have been let go years and years ago. He wasn't, so there was no need to consider getting rid of him now - it was just a thin plot device.

In many ways, it's not Carson and Violet and even Robert who represent the last of the old world - it's Barrow. He grew up in service, knows nothing else, has zero other prospects, and has no desire to do anything else. Everyone else is moving on in one way or another, and Barrow will now be the last tie to the past at Downton Abbey.

As for Talbot, what a bore. If they were going to make him the One That Mary Finally Ends Up With, surely they could have given him a bit more depth than a love of fast cars. He's supposed to be Mary's equal (in character, not station), and instead he spent the entire two hours whining about how he had nothing to do. And worse, Mary was all for it! Made no sense to me.

At least they ended Mary's story with her evolved relationship with Edith, having already secured her purpose and vocation with running the estate. I fancy that had the show continued, Mary would have become more and more interesting and they would have shipped Talbot off to some corner of the Empire. I guess opening the car dealership was supposed to represent the idea of the former leisure class of men taking on meaningful work, but his character still seemed very stuck in the past with all that whining and the way he kept saying "job" like it was a somewhat annoying novelty.

Artemis@BC

My earlier assumption was Parkinson's, but now I'm thinking not. Carson said "there's no name for it," and Parkinson's did have a name by mid-19th century. (of course his father & grandfather might not have known that) Plus Parkinson's is only hereditary in about 15% of cases.

Not that that really matters of course, except that Parkinson's means eventually a much more severe debilitation and that's not exactly a happy ending ...

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Well, he did save Lady Edith from the fire in her room, so one would hope that that counts for something.
Yes, that's what I was about to point out. Saving someone's life should rate at least an invite to their wedding. ;)

Re foreshadowing of Carson's "palsy" -- I believe that in at least the previous episode there was something indicating that he wasn't completely well, but I don't think it was anything specific. I could be mistaken about that.

Last edited:

cygnus

Wish I'd known how to get rid of it! I missed a lot of the show. And I am also 6 hours away and unable to do anything about a missing child. I do hope someone finds him soon. Not the way I wanted to end the series.

Apparently the boy has been found and is safe.:)

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
As for Talbot, what a bore. If they were going to make him the One That Mary Finally Ends Up With, surely they could have given him a bit more depth than a love of fast cars. He's supposed to be Mary's equal (in character, not station), and instead he spent the entire two hours whining about how he had nothing to do. And worse, Mary was all for it! Made no sense to me.
I never warmed to his character or portrayal -- never felt much chemistry between him and Mary. Actually was disappointed when nothing more developed between Mary and Charles Blake. Oh well. C'est la vie! :lol:

Tinami Amori

In the late 1920's there was a car manufacturing boom in UK, over 100 EMs, with Morrison and Austin leading the trends. By 1930's UK became major auto manufacturer in Europe, bypassing Germany and France. During WWII production switched to military vehicles and GOVERNMENT contracts. Henry and Mathew probably made TONS of money and expanded their business outside of the county (what most businessmen did in their capacity). Opening a automotive business in UK in the 1920's is just another part of "Very Happy Ending" of this show.... :D

Last edited:

my little pony

polishing Madison Hubbell's OGM
i think he has a benign essential tremor. no impact on his life except for claret pouring. everyone got a happy ending, no way carson is getting a degenerative disease.

Jenny

From the Bloc
In the late 1920's there was a car manufacturing boom in UK, over 100 EMs, with Morrison and Austin leading the trends. By 1930's UK became major auto manufacturer in Europe, bypassing Germany and France. During WWII production switched to military vehicles and GOVERNMENT contracts. Henry and Mathew probably made TONS of money and expanded their business outside of the county (what most businessmen did in their capacity). Opening a automotive business in UK in the 1920's is just another part of "Very Happy Ending" of this show.... :D

Smart initiative by Tom though, not Henry :)

Tinami Amori

Smart initiative by Tom though, not Henry :)
I bet Mary will take over running the business, finances, etc. There will be a national strike in 1929, many will look for work. Mary will take charge of hiring, she likes to take charge.... :D

VGThuy

Now that it's aired, I can finally ask this...what was so special about Henry for Mary to "fall in love" with him? They didn't seem to have much of a connection and he didn't really have any more personality than her other beaus. He actually had a lot less chemistry and less personality than the guy who she didn't choose over Tony. Is it because he was played by Matthew Goode?

Tom didn't have much to do at all in the last season. I was so excited when he came back but his role was relegated to somehow being Mary's wise mentor guiding her through her boy problems and dealing with the not dealt with jealousy of Edith being a city career woman. My fave Tom scene was when Gwen came to visit and they reminisced about how awesome Sybil was.

I know it wasn't intentional but the actress playing Violet has this weird default face where I felt like she was disappointed when her eventual husband actually wasn't dying and realized she was stuck with him for a while.

Also by the end of the series, I found Mr, Bates to be incredibly creepy looking.

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
The chemistry that was in the Series 5 Christmas Special really evaporated. But some of that might have been Michelle Dockery (Lady Mary) dealing with her own heartache throughout the filming of this series. Her fiance was dying of cancer.

Back to the ending...not everyone got paired off. Will no one think of poor Dr. Clarkson?

manhn

Or Violet.

Anyways, I think it's pretty much inevitable that there will be a continuation of DA in some form in the near/faraway future. Although it all ended fairly happily, the writers can begin the next installment where everyone lives' suck.

Anyways, all of the ideas suggested by these Twitter people suck.

VGThuy

Isn't NBC producing a prequel focusing on the trend of rich but not respected because of being new money American women marrying English men who were rich in land and title but not money? Aka Cora and Robert?

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Thomas Barrow comes home & is promoted to butler! All are glad except for Carson who suffers change gradually but will come around. :cheer2:Thomas finally has his long awaited job security & will play with children & new dog everyday & never put a dog in the shed again. :dog:
He will hit a home run & clear the bases every year for the DA household at the community picnic. All the children will cheer wildly because they like him better than nanny.

Mrs. Hughes will be able to enjoy her job & he colleagues again now that Carson will not be skulking around every corner with his constant criticism. He can now spend his days learning to make the bubble & squeak for dinner.

Violet enjoyed column by literary butler so much she renews her subscription to Edith's magazine indefinitely. She will start a reading circle with Spratt as participant or guest speaker while Denker serves them tea. :respec:

*** Downton Abbey’s Quiet Revolution -- Has the show secretly been rooting for the servants all this time?

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/03/the-politics-of-downton-abbey/472608/
What made the show so interesting in its sixth and final season, though, is that the cracks in this idealized détente started to show. Its biggest defender was the butler, Mr. Carson—a benevolent dictator who ran the downstairs section of the house with all the steeliness his beetling eyebrows could convey. More loyal than the family labradors, and more ardent a believer in the status quo than even Lord Grantham himself, Carson suddenly evolved into a hectoring, unkind grump who abused his new wife’s housekeeping skills as furiously as he fawned over the sacrosanct rights of his lordship to trim budgets by laying off a few servants rather than spending moderately less on claret.

Carson’s intractable belief in the upstairs/downstairs divide was revealed to be all the more ridiculous by the moments in which the family’s unchecked privilege came to the fore. Cora, long the gentle American benefactor of the family’s servants, cruelly scolded Mrs. Hughes when she found her trying on one of her coats for her upcoming wedding. Lord Grantham stupidly offered Carson the use of the servant’s hall for the same event. When the interminable debate over the village hospital’s prospective merger first came to a fore, Mrs. Hughes commented that it was all very well the family weighing in, but they ran off to London at the first sign of a cold. More than ever, the show seemed to be picking a side in the age-old conflict between master and servant.

Last edited:

Artemis@BC

Isn't NBC producing a prequel focusing on the trend of rich but not respected because of being new money American women marrying English men who were rich in land and title but not money? Aka Cora and Robert?

That's the rumour. Not a lot of details yet though.

The rich-but-landless American women were nicknamed "buccaneers," btw. I was glad to hear Cora use that term to refer to herself, I think it was the penultimate episode.

And of course Edith Wharton wrote a novel about that subject, though she died before it was finished. It was completed much later (not to every critic's satisfaction), and also turned into a mini-series.

Artemis@BC

Mary is married to a used car salesman.

Edith is a marchioness. Higher rank than earl/countess.

And of course Mary isn't even a countess, the title will go from Robert directly to George. She would have been countess if Matthew had survived long enough to inherit, but as he didn't she's just plain ol' Lady Mary.

I did laugh at the bit in the 2nd last episode when the family worked that out -- and the look of horror on Mary's face.

Reactions: Nan

VGThuy

That's the rumour. Not a lot of details yet though.

The rich-but-landless American women were nicknamed "buccaneers," btw. I was glad to hear Cora use that term to refer to herself, I think it was the penultimate episode.

And of course Edith Wharton wrote a novel about that subject, though she died before it was finished. It was completed much later (not to every critic's satisfaction), and also turned into a mini-series.

Yes The Buccaneers! I watched that miniseries on Netflix. I love reading the Netflix reviews. So many of people gave it bad reviews because they expected a soft romance or something more in the style of Jane Austen only to get serious social commentary and criticism Wharton style. It was hilarious to read. I remember one post said something along the lines of "I don't watch these things to get social commentary, I watch to get a romantic escape" or some such nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information