WNBA's Brittney Griner arrested on drug charges in Russia UPDATE: sentenced to 9 years

skatingguy

decently

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I read this and my first thought was that she was consuming CBD oil because it's an anti-inflammatory so would aid in recovery. But maybe I just have that on my mind because of the Sambo-70 situation. OTOH, I don't think people consume CBD oil via vape pens. 🤷‍♀️

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
wow. I just went over to Rebkell's to see that people are freaking out about it, but mostly complaining that WNBA players end up working in Russia during the off season because they can earn $1mil+, vs a WNBA salary of ~$215K.

And of course there was a post about Russia doping 15 year old skaters but getting mad about CBD.

I hope that Griner is able to get out of Russia soon.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
As far as I'm concerned, you need to be aware of what the laws in the country are and abide by them. It would still probably be news if she'd been arrested in Singapore or Dubai, but part of me can't help wondering if both sides aren't trying to play a propaganda/PR game.

genevieve

Staff member
I agree that one should absolutely know the laws of places you are going - especially when Griner has been working in Russia for years. But the timing of this is terrible. On Rebkell's there are many who think the whole bust was a plant.

Karen-W

I agree that one should absolutely know the laws of places you are going - especially when Griner has been working in Russia for years. But the timing of this is terrible. On Rebkell's there are many who think the whole bust was a plant.
She was arrested 3 weeks ago. If it was a plant, what purpose did it serve to wait to release the news until now? Given where the world's focus was 3 weeks ago, it'd have served Russia better to make the arrest public then as an attempt to deflect from the Valieva story. The news being released now, in the midst of the Ukranian war and the State Dept advising, just yesterday, all Americans to leave Russia, makes me feel it's a sympathy ploy on the part of her attorneys.

Maybe I'm being too cynical again. ;)

skatingguy

decently
She was arrested 3 weeks ago. If it was a plant, what purpose did it serve to wait to release the news until now? Given where the world's focus was 3 weeks ago, it'd have served Russia better to make the arrest public then as an attempt to deflect from the Valieva story. The news being released now, in the midst of the Ukranian war and the State Dept advising, just yesterday, all Americans to leave Russia, makes me feel it's a sympathy ploy on the part of her attorneys.

Maybe I'm being too cynical again. ;)
Except it wasn't her people who released the information - it was reported in Russian papers, and the specifics came from Russian Customs Service.

genevieve

Staff member
I personally don't believe it was a plant - but I do think that in a different year, she probably would have been given special consideration and not punished like just anyone else, and it's plausible that Russia just kept mum about the whole thing until after they declared war and are releasing the info now as either a distraction or some sort of pawn in Russia vs West info war. I too am cynical, but think there are so many different ways this could go it's hard to say right now.

millyskate

I personally don't believe it was a plant - but I do think that in a different year, she probably would have been given special consideration and not punished like just anyone else, and it's plausible that Russia just kept mum about the whole thing until after they declared war and are releasing the info now as either a distraction or some sort of pawn in Russia vs West info war. I too am cynical, but think there are so many different ways this could go it's hard to say right now.
Yes I agree. In normal times this is a case that would likely have been arranged with $$$
Suddenly it's much more sinister.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I’ve no doubt that the US consulate in Moscow is on top of this, applying pressure until she’s out safe. Let’s keep our eyes on this.

Sparks

Agreed. The most concerning thing is that Brittney is a tall, queer, Black American in a Russian jail for some CBD oil.
She's being used as a pawn.

MacMadame

Doing all the things

Sparks

I've heard both. Either way, it was for Brittney's personal use and she is accused of "distribution".
Brittney spent the last seven off-seasons playing in Russia. It's political. I'm scared for her

millyskate

I've heard both. Either way, it was for Brittney's personal use and she is accused of "distribution".
Brittney spent the last seven off-seasons playing in Russia. It's political. I'm scared for her
I'm scared for her too. The initial arrest I don't believe was political at all: why someone would transport CBD or Hash oil through an airport is beyond me, much less a Russian airport.
Of course she now becomes a pawn in the international conflict and it's all quite scary.

Sparks

We don't know. Brittney could've carried all along and NOW? The timing is suspicious.
I call BS.

millyskate

We don't know. Brittney could've carried all along and NOW? The timing is suspicious.
I call BS.
That doesn't make it ok though does it? It's against the law and the exact kind of thing customs officers are employed to intercept. Whether it was the first time or one of many and she didn't get caught before, anyone carrying this through customs would have faced arrest.

Don't get me wrong I feel a lot of sympathy for her, but if she indeed attempted to carry CBD or hash oil into Russia it was a very risky move.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Is what ever she was alleged to be carrying a banned substance for the Olympics?

She's a two time Olympic Gold Medalist who I believe is still involved with the US national team. If so, she's subject to the WADA drug testing which makes it less likely that it was hers.

skatingguy

decently
Is what ever she was alleged to be carrying a banned substance for the Olympics?

She's a two time Olympic Gold Medalist who I believe is still involved with the US national team. If so, she's subject to the WADA drug testing which makes it less likely that it was hers.
Assuming it was marijuana than it would only be an issue if she tested positive during a competition - not sure what rules the professional leagues in Russia apply during their season, but it wouldn't be uncommon for those rules to be different than international competition.

Karen-W

Even is she has gotten away with transporting her vape cartridges in years past, given the timing of her arrest, coming right on the heels of the Valieva doping charge, I think she was more than a bit dumb or arrogant to even try and take them through this time. Surely she would have realized that, as an American, the customs officials were going to be looking for ANY opportunity to make an example out of someone breaking Russian drug laws and, as a high-profile professional athlete with two Olympic gold medals to her name, she would a really great one. It's interesting that there has been no denial from her camp that she had the drugs, which makes me think she was either that dumb or that arrogant, neither of which is a particularly good look and doesn't make her a terribly sympathetic figure. Everything about this is just weird and odd, IMO.

Frau Muller

We don’t know where Britney is being detained, yes? My husband, who worked in law enforcement in Moscow region for many years, says that detention facilities (or jails) can vary tremendously…but are mostly horrible, with rampant diseases. Hopefully, because of her high profile, she’s in one of the cleaner places. Also, hope that she is being kept in a solitary situation, so that the general population cannot hurt her.

Frau Muller

Russian TV just released a short film of Brittney holding a sign…hard to read what’s written (name?). When she was booked. Stands in front of measuring sign…she’s taller.

Still not on YouTube, that I could find.

Update - It’s now up. It’s near the beginning of this newscast on Russia24.

Last edited:

genevieve

Staff member
oof, I watched about half of that - they started getting into her being a lesbian and her short, volatile marriage to Glory Johnson, so I peaced out. I don't need to speak Russian to know where that's going.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
An article about how there isn't much public comment about the case and what that could mean:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Griner was in court today - in cuffs, orange hoodie over her head as she hides her face. The pre-trial detention was extended by a month…so mid-June trial, maybe?

I want to know what we can do about this. It's just wrong what they are doing to her. You know they are trying to make an example of her for something they have probably let slide in the past (or alternatively that they planted on her).

Frau Muller

I want to know what we can do about this. It's just wrong what they are doing to her. You know they are trying to make an example of her for something they have probably let slide in the past (or alternatively that they planted on her).

My mom-in-law (in Russia) actually mentioned that this image is being paraded all over Russian TV tonight, as an example of alternative “degenerate”lifestyle. Very scary situation for Griner. I know that officially the US Dept of State is trying to maintain low profile, so as to not escalate this…to give Griner a better chance to be let out…so that she not become Exhibit A for why Russia is fighting the influences of the West. Putin is trying to legitimize his actions with this sort of thing, eg, “keeping gay parades out of Holy Rus…” and such words from his crony Patriarch Kirill.

Frau Muller

Sen. Kelly (Ariz) on the latest…possible prisoner swap between US and Russia?

If not, send the Impossible Missions Force (as in Mission: Impossible TV shows & films) to extricate her!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information