WJC24 Junior Rhythm Dance

Vagabond

And Ted, for the love of heaven, IT IS NOT THAT HARD TO SAY "ATL."
One of the things that I do appreciate about NBC is that it has the resources to find out how athletes pronounce their names and generally makes sure that its commentators use that pronunciation.

Ted, Mark, and Chris may have fewer resources at their disposal, but they make little effort and even ignore the rink announcers' pronunciations.

I don't really expect Ted to pronounce "Vazquez" as "Bath-keth," but I do think that he could do better than "Vaz-kwez," which is what he said during the Rhythm Dance.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I watched dance unspoiled, and I'm not sure it was the best idea -- it took forever while I was eating breakfast/getting ready for work/settling into the work day, and I was nervous for Grimmskiy the entire time. :lol: But I expect I'll do it again tomorrow morning! Very happy with the top two and with a lot of the placements, though I think I'd have had the baby French higher than the Swiss team. But it's super close, so no big deal. Lovely to see the baby Brits and baby French looking happy and confident here.

And Ted, for the love of heaven, IT IS NOT THAT HARD TO SAY "ATL."
I watched the last three groups unspoiled too and unsurprisingly agree with all the above. Baby French may not be the Second Coming but they are frighteningly talented and should at least be ahead of the Swiss. I want to like the “Israelis” more than I do, maybe it’s the godawful costumes but something seems harsh and unfinished in their skating. The Germans had their skate of the year and Leah/Artem were the class of the field.

Further down, the baby Koreans and baby Brits are delightful to watch.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
One of the things that I do appreciate about NBC is that it has the resources to find out how athletes pronounce their names and generally makes sure that its commentators use that pronunciation.

Ted, Mark, and Chris may have fewer resources at their disposal, but they make little effort and even ignore the rink announcers' pronunciations.

I don't really expect Ted to pronounce "Vazquez" as "Bath-keth," but I do think that he could do better than "Vaz-kwez," which is what he said during the Rhythm Dance.
Ted and Mark have a lot more "resources" than NBC, namely they talk to skaters face to face at JGPs and ask them how their names are pronounced. They interact with these kids a lot behind the scenes. Ted is just bad at foreign names because he's an older man who probably didn't grow up in a super multicultural environment. But he and Mark do make an effort.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Has the RD video suddenly been blocked for anyone else on copyright grounds??

Thank heaven they didn't get at it earlier this morning when I was getting caught up!
blocked here in the US.

Nmsis

Sarah's name is actually pronounced Mar-cee-yi Vas-kez.
And poor Jolan Engel is sure to never have his name pronounced properly, with nasalized vowels (no "n" pronounced anywhere) and a soft "g"

quartz

scratching at the light
Well, as soon as the husband starts snoring on the couch, I’m going to put on the Ladies Free, so that better be available!

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I started the replay at 0800 Eastern and just finished watching. I guess if you start the stream, you’re good.

For those with VPN, try a South American country.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
BTW, sorry for stating the obvious, but we all, of course, realize that Mouaden/Bigot are the literal gods and going to completely demolish the ice-dance field in 5-6 years, right?
Can we NOT start fan-warring until they're at least seniors? There are so many promising teams in that age range in the junior ranks - Mouaden/Bigot, Slatter/Ongay-Perez, Ilin/Cain, etc. I'm just hoping they all make it to seniors intact and give us years of joy at watching their considerable talents on display.

Amy L

I had to postpone kitty's vet appointment to 9am tomorrow morning :yawn: so I don't know if I'll see much of the FDs live.

Vagabond

Sarah's name is actually pronounced Mar-cee-yi Vas-kez.
✅ That's how I would probably pronounce "Vazquez" if I saw it outside of context. I am surprised that Ted has gotten this far without learning that "q" is pronounced differently in Spanish from English and wonder whether he makes the same mistake with the "q" in French and Frenc-Canadian names.

At least he can tell the difference between a Lutz and a flip!

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I just logged in from Luxembourg and the tiles are there. Not sure if it’s because I quit the stream before the end when I watched earlier, or if the streams are allowed outside North America.

Sylvia

TBD
RD replay stream is BACK :cheer: (which team's or teams' music was muted?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj18JAK6Klc

ETA that after a quick check, the 2nd song used by Fradji/Fourneaux -- "Back in Black" by ACDC -- is muted. BYT it's not muted in their individual RD video? :confused:

ETA #2 - Neset/Markelov's 2nd song "I Hate Myself For Loving You" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts was also muted in the replay stream but not in their individual RD video.

If anyone notices any other muted song(s) please let us know.

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
RD replay stream is BACK :cheer: (which team's or teams' music was muted?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj18JAK6Klc

ETA that after a quick check, the 2nd song used by Fradji/Fourneaux -- "Back in Black" by ACDC -- is muted. BYT it's not muted in their individual RD video? :confused:

ETA #2 - Neset.Markelov's 2nd song "I Hate Myself For Loving You" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts was also muted in the replay stream but not in their individual RD video.

If anyone notices any other muted song(s) please let us know.
The whole thing is still blocked here in Canada.

Sylvia

TBD
@skatingguy it’s working for me again now.

ETA: And now (2:48 pm) it's blocked again, SIGH.

4:22 pm: "Video Unavailable"

5:04: Video is back again. ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information