Which Japanese man will be their National Champ?

Who will win Japanese Men's National?

• Yuzuru Hanyu

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • Kagiyama

Votes: 44 53.7%
  • Shoma Uno

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Japanese men's field is rich with talent. Who will win their Men's title at their upcoming nationals?

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I think Kagiyama has the advantage. This is Hanyu's first competition in a while, while Kagiyama has had all season to work though issues. Of course, as always, ice is slippery and Hanyu is incredible, so anything could happen.

DreamSkates

Actually, I hope Uno wins, which would give him a boost and confidence going into the Olympics. Realistically, Kagyiama has the most consistent (emphasized!) firepower and potentially highest scores. Of course, I respect Hanyu for all his accomplishments and artistry but I think his time may be over to be at the top. Not at all counting him out. He was injured before the last Olympics and was stunning.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Actually, I hope Uno wins, which would give him a boost and confidence going into the Olympics. Realistically, Kagyiama has the most consistent (emphasized!) firepower and potentially highest scores. Of course, I respect Hanyu for all his accomplishments and artistry but I think his time may be over to be at the top. Not at all counting him out. He was injured before the last Olympics and was stunning.
How many quads does Kagiyama have? It may come down to that.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Spun Silver

I think Kagiyama has to be the favorite. He's coming on like gangbusters at just the right time and probably has nowhere to go but up. Uno is unpredictable though he looked great at NHK, and Hanyu is almost sure to be rusty. But if all three are on (and Tomono continues to improve) it will be a great Nationals. Too bad we can't see it. (That's still the policy, right?)

paskatefan

@ this point, I think Yuma has the best chances of winning the title. I'm torn between him & Shoma! Seriously, I hope they both make the Japanese Olympic team. I do hope Yuzu is healthy enough to compete @ Japanese Nationals.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Kagiyama is not out of it (3rd place, after a fall) but Hanyu blew me away. What an incredible artist, athlete, and competitor. Hard to tell how he will do in the LP. If he falls on his 4A attempt, that may not be good news, considering the risk of injury. Uno is battling an ankle injury too. So the competition is still wide open.

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Lol I doubt anyone counted him out. I'm sure everyone allowed that he could win this. But I'm sure allowing that Kagiyama has had a great season and could also win makes us horrible Hanyu fans. :drama:

DreamSkates

Kagiyama is not out of it (3rd place, after a fall) but Hanyu blew me away. What an incredible artist, athlete, and competitor. Hard to tell how he will do in the LP. If he falls on his 4A attempt, that may not be good news, considering the risk of injury. Uno is battling an ankle injury too. So the competition is still wide open.
What is Uno's injury?

Fadeevfanboy

He would be wise to save the quad axel for the Olympics. He doesn't need it here. He definitely needs it to beat Nathan Chen though.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Hanyu has a 10 point lead over Uno and 16 points over Kagiyama. In mens discipline it is possible to close wide gaps because of the quads. I saw Hanyu blow an 11 point lead in 2016 against Javier Fernandes. Granted, he was injured. Hopefully his attempt to land the 4A will not cause an injury. I know he wants to try it as a prep for the Olympics but I feel it is too risky to try it before the Olympics. He will practice it of course but in a competition the stress level is much higher.

S

ShuPa

This thread hasn't aged that well in the past few days. There are always many who count Yuzu out and say things like his time at the top may be over or that he is almost surely rusty. It feels like it is more wishful thinking for those who post this. How many times did he prove that he is able to come back stronger than before? He said that he is a better skater than before and I believe him when I look at how he skates in the SP & FS. He's 27 and in his 12nd senior season and he is better than ever before.

Congrats to him again on winning his 6th Nationals title!

skatingguy

decently
This thread hasn't aged that well in the past few days. There are always many who count Yuzu out and say things like his time at the top may be over or that he is almost surely rusty. It feels like it is more wishful thinking for those who post this. How many times did he prove that he is able to come back stronger than before? He said that he is a better skater than before and I believe him when I look at how he skates in the SP & FS. He's 27 and in his 12nd senior season and he is better than ever before.

Congrats to him again on winning his 6th Nationals title!
Oh please. Get over yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information