Vaitsekhovskaya’s interview with Valentin Nikolaev (former coach of Oksana Baiul)

quiqie

Vaitsekhovskaya’s interview with Valentin Nikolaev: http://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/reviews/983738/

A: (to the comment that Ashley skated better than she was expected to): Rafael Arutunian is a very good and knowledgeable coach. He didn’t need to take another skater in his group before the Olympic Games in Sochi, he had enough work as it was. So there must have been a reason for him to agree to train her, and I don’t think it’s just because her former coach John Nicks asked him to. Look at her now. On the one hand, Ashley’s jumps didn’t get much better. But she has significantly improved in the components score. And most importantly, look at her skating. She skates expressively, like Rafael used to skate himself. All his temperament, his emotions went to his legs, his blades. When Rafael worked with Michelle Kwan, no matter how hard he tried, he never managed to get that from her. I remember I asked him why, having such creative imagination and such coaching talent, he lets her skate such bland programs? Rafael told me that he couldn’t do anything: no matter what programs he offered, Michelle always took out everything that didn’t sit well with her.
Wagner trusts Arutunian 100%, and you see the result. I never particularly enjoyed Ashley’s skating, her underrotated jumps, but now she is fantastic. Major respect to her coach for that. I wouldn’t be surprised if the little improvisation after her skate when she fell on her butt in the middle of the rink was part of the plan. It shows that she’s prepared well enough that she can afford such folly.

Q: Who else impressed you besides Wagner?
A: I liked Gabrielle Daleman from Canada. I like her basic skating skills, her stroking – I would say it’s not any worse than Asada’s. Did you notice her jump exits? She lands the jump, and then she picks up the speed when the others lose it. That girl feels the ice, and it’s rare in skating. She needs more character, guts. Now her skating is a little introverted, and it’s never very impressive. You have to skate for the audience.

Q: What did you think about Zijun Li who is the China’s best bet at the Olympics?
A: During her program, I had a feeling that someone was just waiving around Chinese flag across the ice. It was very fast, very good – but figure skating is not just about technique. She is very solid. Like a woodchopper. Do you understand?

Q: I’m not sure, to be honest.
A: Here’s another example: I drive a Lexus. When I bring it to the car maintenance, mechanic removes the cover from the engine, but cleans only the top of engine. Unlike any Russian auto mechanic. Because cleaning any other part of the engine is not included in the task list. Same is with the Chinese skater: she performs only what is required of her. If she is told to smile five times, she will smile five times, not six or four.

Q: Do I understand correctly that you aren’t a fan of Boyang Jin with his quad Lutz?
A: What’s so special about quad Lutz? Such an element is good for the circus. Drumroll, colored lights, people leaping up from their seats…

Q: Why leap up if it’s nothing special?
A: Because when there is drumroll, people will jump up and down and rave anyway. But it’s not enough for competitions. Boyang Jin is good, but he is not quite ready for real skating. He has fantastic jumps, that he does, I can honestly say I have never seen such easy jumping.

But I much preferred Mikhail Kolyada. I saw in his skating what I see in Yuzuru Hanyu. Jumps in his programs are not means to show that you are the best, but a natural part of a program. And the program itself is not endless jumping passes, but skating skills, the ability to show the feeling – a conversation with the audience, so to speak. Same as Daleman in the ladies event.

Q: And Wagner?
A: Wagner, no. Wagner was focused on the jumps for the most part, and it’s normal. Ashley does have a lot of experience and she can afford to skate recklessly. The Canadian enjoyed her skating.

Q: Mirai Nagasu skated very well in the short program, as did Wagner and Gold. Does it mean that US ladies are back where they once belonged?

A: To be back on top, they need not three, but three dozen of skaters like Gold, Wagner, and Nagasu. We don’t see that yet. Look: an average American probably won't be able to find Switzerland on map, but it produced such an amazing talent as Stephane Lambiel. Here we have a population of 15 million, and they have Max Aaron on the team…
There is no selection in America. No one screens the kids at rinks, and it makes very hard to recognise talents. Take Arutunian. He doesn’t work with beginners at his club, he produces the result working at the very top level.

There is no popularization of figure skating in the U.S. Plus, our sport was affected rather badly by the recession. Everything that can be considered luxury is now out. People stopped eating out in the expensive restaurants, shopping at expensive stores. I know it because my wife own a shop like that – she sells Russian delicacies, and she had to put a lot of effort to stay in business.

Q: Figure skating is also considered luxury?

A: Definitely. Americans usually have three or more children, and if parents are out of job, they have to cut the expenses significantly. You can’t exclude food, education, or medical insurance, plus you have to pay the bills monthly. Everything else has to go.

Q: What about the Russian girls?
A: I was very impressed by Evgenia Medvedeva’s last practice. She did everything she had to do, and immediately left the ice. That’s what a skater has to do: you don’t show that you are interested in anyone besides yourself. I was a little concerned about Lena Radionova: she did all her jump combinations, and then started chasing a tano Salchow. Why did she try it anyway, she didn’t need the jump in the short program? Everyone who watches the practice will remember your mistakes, not the elements that were perfect.

Q: Were you surprised by the results?
A: It was another proof that you shouldn’t focus on one competitor inside your own country.

Q: You mean Radionova and Medvedeva?
A: Yes. Both Pogorilaya and Gold placed ahead of them by pure luck. No doubts, Gracie skated great – I would even say, no one expected her to skate this well, she was so unimpressive in the last couple of months. But you don’t give 9s for such wooden skating. What kind of tango is this when the skater’s upper body doesn’t move at all?
Pogorilaya has different problem – she does not believe in herself, and she doesn’t plan her open practices very well. If you want to be recognized, you don’t work up to the triples doing several doubles – you go out on the ice, you do all your elements, showing that you are confident and ready to skate your program without a warm-up.
Plus, Anna’s music doesn’t do anything for her. it’s too heavy. When she was skating, I couldn’t shake off the forgotten feeling of listening to the Voice of America, and the broadcast being jammed. But actually, it can be said about the music of all three Russian girls.

Q: So you didn’t like neither Pogorilaya’s Vanessa May, nor Medvedeva’s Isaac Schwartz, nor Radionova’s Lara Fabian?
A: It’s not about that. All these programs are gloomy. When you skate such programs in front of the American audience – the nation that does its best to ignore any strain in life – you are doomed to failure. The only thing that can save you is a perfect execution of the program, and you can’t always do that. Besides, why do we thing that figure skating judges have such a great aesthetic sense? They are not any different from the audience, they just happen to have an access to the buttons. So you have to cater to their tastes. You can afford to skate to what you like only when you already have enough medals. If not, you have to fight using all the weapons.

Q: What about two other Russian leaders?
A: I’m upset. It’s not like the Americans won the short – it’s Medvedeva and Radionova who lost it. They didn’t skate their best, especially if you compare with how they looked last year. I had my pupil sitting by my side during the short, and she asked why Medvedeva was so slow. I don’t know what happened to her between the practice and the short program, but she was indeed skating slowly. It always makes the skating look labored. You have to compensate by body movements, and it’s not the best option.
To be honest, I thought Radionova would be the first after the SP, but it didn’t happen. Maybe I am wrong, but I think that she was too tired after the practice. She didn’t have a good time at the warm-up either – she was chasing the flip. It’s not an easy jump for her because the entry is not very convenient.

Q: Please explain.
A: Imagine you are in the line, and next to you is a very unpleasant person who’s squashing you. Id such a person was behind you, it’d feel even worse. It’s psychology, and it works also in figure skating. When a skater is setting up for a jump along the board and lands the jump in the corner, it will always seem like the board is very close, even if there is a lot of space. Radionova goes into the flip along the short side of the rink, and it makes her feel uncomfortable.
That’s what Arutunian told you in one of his interviews when he was talking about the correct direction of a jump. You cannot go into the jump in one direction, and exit in the other, it’s against the laws of physics and it increases the chances of a mistake.
Even though I like Radionova very much. If she works on her basics like ice dancers do, she can grow into a perfect skater. It will be hard for her to wait for the free program being in the fifth place after the short, but she has proved many times that she can perform well under pressure. I would like to see that.

Loves_Shizuka

Well... this is an interesting read.

When Rafael worked with Michelle Kwan, no matter how hard he tried, he never managed to get that from her. I remember I asked him why, having such creative imagination and such coaching talent, he lets her skate such bland programs? Rafael told me that he couldn’t do anything: no matter what programs he offered, Michelle always took out everything that didn’t sit well with her.

:watch:

Q: So you didn’t like neither Pogorilaya’s Vanessa May, nor Medvedeva’s Isaac Schwartz, nor Radionova’s Lara Fabian?
A: It’s not about that. All these programs are gloomy. When you skate such programs in front of the American audience – the nation that does its best to ignore any strain in life – you are doomed to failure. .

:rofl:

Thank you @quiqie

Last edited:

jiejie

Amazing insights. :rofl: I had no idea that most Americans have 3 or more children, and that Americans do their best to avoid any strain in life therefore won't respond to "gloomy" programs. I didn't even realize the Russian ladies programs were gloomy.

orbitz

He was rather harsh on some of the American skaters but what he said was true.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
She isn't always wooden. She wasn't wooden at all in her Nationals LP. But here . . . yes, I think she was a little. Hopefully she can loosen up again on Saturday.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Was that a dig at Max Aaron?

Also, he studies facts from decades ago. Americans no longer have 3 children.

I do probably agree with what he said about The Queen. Nothing looked different or special about her skating while with him.. perhaps slightly worse.

Not sure I would call GG wooden last night. When she landed the second triple in the 3/3 combo she was all smiles... more smiles than ever for a performance.
Now that I read this interview a second time he is all aboard the Russian bus. Even bringing up Kolyada when not asked about him. Just seems to be a nationalist toting his own Nationality.

One thing I do agree with him (and Tracy Wilson) is that Pogos music is heavy. I feel no connection to that music and find it mostly uninteresting

jiejie

^^^
I took it as a dig at Aaron. And he may not know that Arutunian is working with the US novice mens champion (Eric Sjoberg). Not sure how long he's had him, maybe not from beginner status, but certainly RA works with skaters below the top levels.

By the time Kwan got to Arutunian, her hip was being held together by chewing gum and bailing wire, though we didn't know it at the time. Based on hindsight and relatively recent interviews, likely she couldn't do much different or special--struggling just to keep what she had. So I don't think that's much of an insight.

Despite what this fellow things, Ashley's jumps HAVE gotten better under Arutunian. Even a blind man could see that.

GG wasn't wooden for her, but compared to the other top ladies....well, maybe we should use the word "stoic" which sounds more noble than "wooden."

I happen to like Pogo's SP music a lot, very haunting. I realize I'm probably in a group of one on that. Regardless though, she skated it about as well as it could be skated.

Agree with him about Zijun Li. It's as if she skates to a predetermined set point, but won't give anything more. I would say her skating is lovely and charming, but lacks a "deep soul." Intellectual vs emotional. Getting her out of China to train would work wonders with her talent, but that's not likely to happen.

Agree that underpinning the interview there did seem to be a Russian nationalist agenda. Ho hum. Whatever.

Last edited:

orbitz

I thought Kwan's jumps in general looked stronger under Rafael. She also put on more muscle mass while working with him so that might have helped her jumps. I agree about the bland programs after 2001, but 2004 Nationals Spartacus was a gem though.

quiqie

He was interviewed by a Russian journalist for Russian newspaper, so it's hardly a surprise he brought up some Russian skaters unprompted. Also, when he called Gold "wooden", he was talking about her upper body, not facial expressions.

jiejie

Thanks for the clarification. I don't disagree with him on Gold. For a tango, I usually expect more upper body expression, also.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^
I took it as a dig at Aaron. And he may not know that Arutunian is working with the US novice mens champion (Eric Sjoberg). Not sure how long he's had him, maybe not from beginner status, but certainly RA works with skaters below the top levels.

By the time Kwan got to Arutunian, her hip was being held together by chewing gum and bailing wire, though we didn't know it at the time. Based on hindsight and relatively recent interviews, likely she couldn't do much different or special--struggling just to keep what she had. So I don't think that's much of an insight.

Despite what this fellow things, Ashley's jumps HAVE gotten better under Arutunian. Even a blind man could see that.

GG wasn't wooden for her, but compared to the other top ladies....well, maybe we should use the word "stoic" which sounds more noble than "wooden."

I happen to like Pogo's SP music a lot, very haunting. I realize I'm probably in a group of one on that. Regardless though, she skated it about as well as it could be skated.

Agree with him about Zijun Li. It's as if she skates to a predetermined set point, but won't give anything more. I would say her skating is lovely and charming, but lacks a "deep soul." Intellectual vs emotional. Getting her out of China to train would work wonders with her talent, but that's not likely to happen.

Agree that underpinning the interview there did seem to be a Russian nationalist agenda. Ho hum. Whatever.

OMG u have my EXACT same sense of humor. Tell me you live near LA? I want to go out for beers with you.

And yes Wagner's jumps are FAR SUPERIOR now that Raf worked them. My Gosh ANYONE can attest to that......

Im SO INTO haunting music... Michelle's "Dantes Prayer", Papadakis & Cizeron Free music etc, but not the Pogo music. Also, when a skater finishes a piece of haunting music they usually look so calm, connected or spiritual afterwards. She looked like she was about to take on Rhonda Rousey and her coach was gonna take on the leftovers.

bardtoob

That was certainly an interesting interview, although I do not agree with some of it in the areas that are purely opinions.

I doubt Rafael disclosed to Nikolaev the nature of Kwan's injury, which she was told would require surgery eventually years before the 2005-06 season, and that she had to take time off the ice as frequently as every other day, which hindered her from learning anything new. Thus, Kwan had to rehashing the choreography from the 2002-03 season if she wanted to continue to compete because it was still competitive and she knew it well enough to perform it reliably.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
And he may not know that Arutunian is working with the US novice mens champion (Eric Sjoberg). Not sure how long he's had him, maybe not from beginner status, but certainly RA works with skaters below the top levels.
@jiejie, Sjoberg moved from Maryland (he trained at the University of Delaware through the Intermediate level and his coaches included Jeff DiGregorio, Pam Gregory and Tiffany Scott) to work with Arutunian & Co. for the 2013-14 season. That first year in L.A. he won the U.S. Novice silver medal at the age of 12.

Sjoberg will make his junior international debut for Team USA this week in Italy: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...rticles-latest-news.97929/page-7#post-4774626

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information