US Figure Skating Regionals/Sectionals/Nationals ?

concorde

Any idea what is going on?

I thought USFS was to have a meeting July 1 to discuss where things stand for the domestic competition season. One would assume that by now, something would be announced. I have not seen anything nor has anyone else that I know. I remember reading somewhere that this year registration for Regionals was to open July 15. In the past, registration opened August 1.

Prior to the July 1, USFS sent out a parent survey to gauge parent interest. I would assume that input was discussed at the July 1 meeting.

I know that at one point, all venues had been set. If you check EMS now, some of the locations are listed as TBD. Not surprising!

I would love to hear if anyone has any insight on what has been decided. If that cannot be shared, when will USFS make an announcement?

Realistically I can see/expect all being cancelled. But then again, I wonder if USFS really wants to continue to have a pipeline. That makes me wonder if USFS might be working a on modified structure. If you look at numbers only, eliminating Juveniles and Intermediates would get rid of about 2/3 of the skaters (which is a lot of bodies in a pandemic when you consider that each skater brings a support "team"). The remaining 1/3 of skaters (Novice and up) typically fill the JGP, GP, and Challenger spots.

That makes me wonder that other countries are doing since others (I assume) have an equivalent qualifying structure.

DreamSkates

My guess is that they will wait to see how things go - whether schools open, covid case percentages fall, etc. Many fall sports activities (high school, college) have already been cancelled.

Sk8yDad

Rinkrat Parent
I think we are going to see some of the previously announced venues change, if they go forward. I know Clubs in Utah were asked to host some of the Pacific Regionals scheduled for Washington State. Hopefully we’ll know more soon.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
The update today is that there is no update basically. They are adjusting dates and will have more info in August.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Not that surprising - here's the update:
U.S. Figure Skating Qualifying Season – Update as of July 14, 2020

The 2021 U.S. Qualifying Season registration which would have opened July 15, 2020, and concluded on September 1, 2020, per U.S. Figure Skating’s rulebook, is being delayed and the new registration dates will be communicated in early August. Further, the Competition Committee is continuing its ongoing review of the 2021 U.S. Qualifying Season, including a revised anticipated start of the qualifying competitions. An update will also be provided in early August.

BittyBug

Disgusted
The update today is that there is no update basically. They are adjusting dates and will have more info in August.
This was such a terrible communication. First, they had nothing to say, so why bother take up space in my inbox? Second, they couldn't even be bothered to include their say nothing message within the email - they made you click a link to get to their website to tell you.....nothing. :rolleyes:

Kathryn2001

OK, it's December 4 and there was supposed to be a Regional/Sectional event at the new Ion Int'l complex in Leesburg, VA, this weekend, which is near where I live. I hoped to attend if they allowed any spectators, but obviously nothing is happening there.

Does anyone have any info on what happened to these events or combination thereof? What about those skaters hoping to qualify for Nationals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information