TV Teka 2019/2020

Hanna

Skating junkie
The GP series is fast approaching and since the rights for ISU events in the Nordic countries were bought by NENT Group for the next 4 years, the Finnish public broadcasting service is not showing figure skating anymore. :wuzrobbed Which means that after several years, I have to start looking for another means of watching. :wuzrobbed

So... my old friend TV Teka! I'd like to know if that's still an option that has the right channels for all the Russian fs coverage. Anyone Russian savvy has any idea? Navigating the site barely gives you any info (or at least not until you register). What are the prices? And is it absolutely certain that it can be watched outside Russia? I remember that's the way it was before and IIRC quite a few of you have been using it in the last few years, too.

Thanks beforehand! :drama:

Ka3sha

@Hanna
I have never used TV Teka and can’t say anything about their prices, but if you (or any other FSU-er) have any questions regarding translation/schedules/availability I will see what I can do and how I can help you :)
Just post (or send to pm) links and print screens.

As far as I know Russian Channel 1 will show entire GP series live on it’s website (was geoblocked last year) , I haven’t heard anything about Match TV yet

Elka

TV Teka can only be watched outside Russia, not in Russia. TVteka does not have match tv anymore, so I was presuming that it will not show skating. It definitely has channel 1. I had the option to watch also on ipad and phone so it is 37,50 euro for 3 months. Without "devices", it is 25 euros for 3 months. But, as I noticed just, they have the website in English now!

ETA: I was planning to watch sportbox.ru, but if channel 1 will show... Then I read once more "will show the entire GP series live on its website". Then you cannot watch it on TVteka. TVteka only shows what is on TV.

Last edited:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Maybe it's cheaper if you buy a VPN service and connect to the Channel 1 (Russia). Tvteka for me is expensive and given it doesn't have the matchtv channels and also it looks also doesn't include the Channel 1

Also if you buy the vpn you can also watch it via the eurovisionsports isu website

Hanna

Skating junkie
Thanks for all your replies and offers to help! :) Kinda frustrating trying to contemplate all the options. The streaming service that they're offering here in Finland (Viaplay) is 30€/month so I'm hoping to find something cheaper. TV Teka was great when I used it years ago, but obviously before buying I'd like to be sure that it's actually showing what I want to see. :lol: Same for any other service.

I guess it remains to be seen whether Eurosport is even covering figure skating and if it is, if it can still be watched via the online player in all European countries or whether there will be restrictions.

@Elka since you're in Finland too, if you know of any good options, please do share. :)

@Braulio I might consider VPN too, although the free ones I've used before haven't worked for a couple of years on sites like CBC or the Eurovision sports channel. I suppose they're too smart nowadays and detect I'm using a VPN. :drama: But maybe the paid options are better, I don't know?

J

Jeschke

Tvteka for me is expensive and given it doesn't have the matchtv channels and also it looks also doesn't include the Channel 1
Last season I just asked them to add the MatchTV, MatchArena,... channels and they did within 5minutes.

But yeah I am hoping for another solution too.
Eurosport :drama:

Sally1214

Maybe it's cheaper if you buy a VPN service and connect to the Channel 1 (Russia). Tvteka for me is expensive and given it doesn't have the matchtv channels and also it looks also doesn't include the Channel 1

Also if you buy the vpn you can also watch it via the eurovisionsports isu website

I know nothing about VPN service but it sounds like something I should be seriously considering since it looks like CBC will not be showing ANY skating in Canada. My backup plan was British Eurosport but that too seems in jeopardy. What are the best VPN services to buy & how do I know if the service will show... say Channel 1 from Teka? I'm just so ignorant about this!
I would really appreciate any info about the best VPN for a Canadian to buy. Many thanks in advance for any help

Madhatter

I know nothing about VPN service but it sounds like something I should be seriously considering since it looks like CBC will not be showing ANY skating in Canada. My backup plan was British Eurosport but that too seems in jeopardy. What are the best VPN services to buy & how do I know if the service will show... say Channel 1 from Teka? I'm just so ignorant about this!
I would really appreciate any info about the best VPN for a Canadian to buy. Many thanks in advance for any help

VPN services don't show anything, it's just a connection method. It allows you to connect to foregin tv providers because you cheat them into "thinking" you're from their country if you're using a VPN.

Let's assume that ISU will broadcast the competitions on their Eurovision Sports channel. Usually it's blocked in many countries but not all of them. For example, I'm pretty sure Singapore is not blocked.

You turn the VPN on your computer and set it to Singapore. Your computer first connects to a server in Singapore and then to the Eurovision Sports. The Eurovision Sports website thinks you're from Singapore and lets you watch.

Google "best VPN for Canada" to see what's recommended. ExpressVPN often comes on top because of excellent speed (and lots of privacy/security features which are the main reason most people use a VPN) but it's quite expensive. NordVPN is popular because it offers lots o servers worldwide (no Russia or China, though) and has a very user-friendly interface.

Most VPNs give you a trial period of 30-45 days.

Last edited:

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
I use hidemyass.com for vpn, which does have a Russian server and worked fine for the test skates on Russia1. I got it on a summer sale some years ago so not sure how pricey it is now though.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
I have been using Purevpn for the last 5 years and I highly recommend it. It's cost is very affordable (around 10 dollars a month but can be cheaper if more time is bought)

jlmart

I just got NordVPN and I get Russia. That and the high ratings it received are the reasons I chose it over others.

Sally1214

I just got NordVPN and I get Russia. That and the high ratings it received are the reasons I chose it over others.

I've been looking closely at NordVPN too. But, when I click on the server locations, Russia is not listed. How do you get Russia?

Sally1214

I thought NordVPN doesn't have servers in Russia (anymore).

I think you are right. NORDVPN removed their Russian servers a few months ago. Same with ExpressVPN. Braulio has highly recommended PureVPN but I don't see Russia in their servers' list either. How are people accessing Russia if they have a VPN without a Russian server?

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I think you are right. NORDVPN removed their Russian servers a few months ago. Same with ExpressVPN. Braulio has highly recommended PureVPN but I don't see Russia in their servers' list either. How are people accessing Russia if they have a VPN without a Russian server?
I sent you a PM

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information