The Sofia Samodurova cheer thread

annie_mg

In the competition thread, we had a bit of a discussion of Sofia's SP -- clean but slow -- and whether she can improve her speed and ice coverage under Mishin. I think he's a great coach and she's thriving with him, but unfortunately, those things are not his strengths. She strikes me as a smart and ambitious girl who knows what kind of competition she's facing, so I truly hope she can figure this out and find a way to get there. Everything else she does is so good, I just hate to see her lack of speed holding her back.
She also seems to admire and love Mishin though, which of course is understandable. So I don't see her leaving him in any way....

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
No, and I wouldn't say she should. But she does need help in this area. Wish they could bring in a speed coach!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I didn’t get to see her LP performance. I just couldn’t do without sleep anymore but I will watch the videos. I also missed Bradie’s and Satoko’s. I wake up for the whole final flight.

I think it is a great accomplishment for Sofiato make the world team and finish in the top 10.

Wyliefan

So proud of this little star. :cheer2: She turned on the personality -- she even skated faster today! -- and had a great skate. If I remember correctly, she went an entire season without ever falling -- just that one singled jump in her 3-jump combination (which I think she may have done once before as well). A terrific intro to the senior scene. She has enormous challenges in front of her on the Russian scene, but I think she's in this for the long haul, and I can't wait to see more from her.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I didn’t get to see her LP performance. I just couldn’t do without sleep anymore but I will watch the videos. I also missed Bradie’s and Satoko’s. I wake up for the whole final flight.

I think it is a great accomplishment for Sofiato make the world team and finish in the top 10.

Stupid autocorrect changed ‘Sofia to’ to ’Sofiato’ but it has done much worse.

Marco

Kudos to her for delivering again and again at these major events. The Russian ladies field is insane, and to have competed a full season having attended all the major competitions is in itself something to be proud of.

Both she and Miyahara are disadvantaged under the +/-5 GOE system due to their smaller jumps. Unlike Miyahara however, she gives an impression of skating small and that does not help her PCS.

Wyliefan

I'm notoriously bad at ID'ing jumps, but in her Instastories Sofia is doing what looks like a 3 lutz-3 loop.

Sylvia

TBD
2 photos of Sofia in Courchevel, France by Olivier Brajon (Coach Mishin's current camp location):

ETA one more with Coach Mishin from Patinage Magazine's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/221165258034068/photos/a.221226454694615/1244928948991022/?type=3&theater

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I have loved this skater from the first moment I saw her compete on the Junior Grand Prix Series circuit.

Last year, Samodurova maximised every competitive opportunity, and really made the 2018/19 season count.

Last edited:

Ladida

I just saw the interview with Liza, there is a summer camp with Mishin.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Sofia's been at Disney World today. She's got dozens of Instastories up. :)

Wyliefan

Thanks, @Sylvia. I kept hearing there was an interview, but I hadn't heard it was in English, so I just kept waiting for someone to translate it. :lol: I've never heard her speak English before -- she did well!

Wyliefan

GoldenSkate has a new interview with Sofia. Excerpt:

---
The European Champion wants to add technical difficulty to her programs, notably the triple Axel. Although it is not ready yet, it is on her mind.
“I just know that it is necessary,” Samodurova speculated. “I need to overcome my fear the first time and then I’ll do it. We’ll first start with the Axel and then we’ll see.”
Meanwhile, the skater has also been focusing and experimenting on her spins.
“We found a very interesting position, and nobody has been doing it like that so far, we’ll see if it works,” Samodurova revealed. “Tatiana NikoIaevna (Prokofieva) has thought of it. At the beginning of the (past) season in practice, we were working on spins and I was spinning in an unusual way and so we found it."
---
Full interview: https://www.goldenskate.com/2019/08/sofia-samodurova/

Wyliefan

First look at Sofia's Tango de Roxanne:

It's hard to tell, since she doesn't do the whole thing, but I think (I hope!) her ice coverage is looking a little better.

Also, here's her latest interview with subtitles (thanks, @Eislauffan!):

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information