The Shibutanis Thread 4: Ready for Paradise

MRani

Shibs' practice today:

https://twitter.com/ritardando16/status/949742254511423488

Part 1 is the main tweet and Part 2 is a tweet underneath. Of course, they don't do the new straightline lift here so we'll see it for the first time in competition. They added a more explicit throwback to "Fix You" before the Twizzles and they added a lot more guitar in the final footwork section to give it more of a melody. The choreography seems mostly the same but we haven't seen the new lift and if the second FW sequence is the same.

I love the added guitar in final footwork sequence. It sounds bigger and fuller now, more appropriate for the climax of the FD. I’m not sure yet if I like the more explicit Fix You throwback. It feels like it has potential to be great but I need to see the program as a whole before I can decide if I like it. I get what they’re going for however since it connects well to the “stuck in reverse” moment and is making the storyline much clearer to the audience. I also think it gives the entry into the twizzles a bit more punch.

They’re definitely keeping the suspense for the new straight line lift haha.

I wish they’d tweaked the first footwork sequence a bit more. To my untrained eye it seems exactly the same. That was where I was hoping for the most changes actually.

This practice has made me really excited and curious to see how all these different changes come together!

kittyjake5

Not sure how I feel about the Shibs FD draw for me it will be nail biting waiting for the final results.

chapis

Shibs' practice today:

https://twitter.com/ritardando16/status/949742254511423488

Part 1 is the main tweet and Part 2 is a tweet underneath. Of course, they don't do the new straightline lift here so we'll see it for the first time in competition. They added a more explicit throwback to "Fix You" before the Twizzles and they added a lot more guitar in the final footwork section to give it more of a melody. The choreography seems mostly the same but we haven't seen the new lift and if the second FW sequence is the same.

they look great. Don´t you think that the circular step seq looks better? it seems follow better the music.

and great twizzles, the final lift looks better executed too.

Last edited:

teacakes

I’m not sure yet if I like the more explicit Fix You throwback.
I feel the same, as soon as I heard it I said "No!" and then came straight here to see if anyone else felt the same. I preferred the subtle throwback, it seemed more organic.

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I think the music builds a bit better than it did. The switch back to Paradise seems a bit abrupt to me though. The music sounded different after that too, and I liked that. I can't wait to see them.

VGThuy

I think the top three American ice dance teams are among of the best in the world. That said, I honestly do think (and not just my fandom talking) that the Shibs are clearly the best of the three considering everything that ice dance is about. I hope that tomorrow, the Shibs leave no doubt that they are the best and that they have higher realistic aspirations than proving they are America no. 1.

chapis

Maia and Alex and H/D are practically like C/B and Shibs last year . C/B won the FD but the Shibs skated very tentative that day, do you remember that Alex hit the boards with his skate? :duh:.

2017 SD Shibs 82.42 vs C/B 79.96 FD Shibs 117.63 vs C/B 119.08
2018 SD Shibs 82.33 vs H/D 79.10

livetoskate

Just wondering if anyone knows a skating fan named Leon from the Delaware area and how he's doing. He's the first person who told me about the Shibutanis a dozen years ago and was their biggest fan. I ran into him at a handful of competitions back in the day and always enjoyed his updates and commentary.

SCeline

Maia and Alex.
They inspire positivity and belief in the value of goodness, hard work and determination. They have worked their butts off, and it shows. They repurpose skepticism from others, into motivation, which is in turn relatable and inspiring. As ambassadors for their sport and their country, they elevate and make people proud. They have shown over and over and over again, their excellence as sportsmen and competitors.

They got this.

VGThuy

Maia and Alex look ready to kill! Go kill it out there, guys! Show the world you are the best!

Rukia

Well focusing on good things: I thought the newest incarnation was really good. The music built much better, and I loved the fw sequences. I still have faith that they can get the bronze in Pyongchang.

caitie

This has been such an up and down Nationals for me. Every time something good happens for a favorite of mine, it seemed like something awful happened for another fave. I was so happy to watch Hawayek and Baker slay and then devastated for the Shibs. I hope they can regroup for the Olympics. I sincerely believe they are the best American team, and they have the best short dance in the world for me.

VGThuy

I had a feeling it wouldn't have been good during that straightline lift when Alex look hesitant. They skated like they needed to defend the title. Same feeling after the GPF. The worst happened. I just hope Maia/Alex have a great Olympics.

chapis

I taking a page out the book of H/D fans :p, this was a fluke stumbling, If it were not for the slip, I think they would be the national champions. The difference was less than one point.
-------
On the other hand I think that this may be good for Alex to know that he is not the only one who has made serious mistakes.

Rukia

I taking a page out the book of H/D fans :p, this was a fluke stumbling, If it were not for the slip, I think they would be the national champions. The difference was less than one point.
Haha, it is true though. If she hadn't stumbled, they would have won. I know it's hard to see this happen, but I don't think some grand message was being sent. I think it just so happened that Maia's mistake was just too big for today. I STILL BELIEVE.

modern_muslimah

Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank
Do you all think that the Shibs will take a hit on PCS now that H/D have beat them at Nationals? I like H/D but I really want the Shibs to win a medal in Peyonchang and now I'm worried they've lost the momentum they had at the start of the season.

Spun Silver

-------
On the other hand I think that this may be good for Alex to know that he is not the only one who has made serious mistakes.
I was thinking that too --at least they're even now and Maia got her mistake out of her system before S Korea!

They must refuse to surrender. They lost by less than half a point. That is not dumpage by the judges even if Charlie dumped them in his commentary. WTH???

I do think it might be a perfect scenario for them to do just the SD at the Olympics and be fresher for the the individual competition. Hate to say it but odds are against HD going clean three times in a row. I can say that here, right? I do think they were glorious today. The Shibs began gloriously and I thought all was well and then it just broke up a little --I have to rewatch a few times to understand.

I have to go take care of my feral cats in this dreadful weather and do the grocery shopping (couldn't do it during Nationals!). Be back later tonight to commiserate, analyze and strategize. :) VGT, do not give in to doomsday thinking!

VGThuy

Not in the FD though. They needed a hit FD like they had at Skate America. Now it's two FDs they botched and I think it's over. They are not climbing underdogs like H/D are so they have less leeway to consistently make mistakes and still be considered medal spoilers. The judges have dumped the Shibs before and now they can do it. I wouldn't be surprised if their SD get artificially pushed down now that they lost some standing.

MRani

-------

Chapis I blame you. I remember you saying earlier that Maia should make some mistakes too and I guess she heard you :p

In all seriousness though, I’m definitely upset for them, but they’ll rise above this. If H/D could be in position to upset the podium at Worlds 2017 as national bronze medalists, the Shibs can definitely make the Olympic podium as the silver medalists. And maybe being in the position of attacking from behind will work out better for them at the Olympics than the pressure of being the defending champions, which seems to have been accumulating for 2 seasons on their shoulders and really affected them this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information